Non-motoring > Buying fitted carpet Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 31

Buying fitted carpet - smokie
I'm about to embark on decorating hall/stairs/landing which will include new fitted carpet. I would prefer wooden floors but that's never going to happen. There are no kids here (permanently, anyway) and just an elderly cat as a pet, so an average wearing carpet should do.

So any recommendations or opinions for Best or Best Avoided for the following please?

Material (think the choice is wool v. polypropylene)
Type (short/long tufts etc)
Backing (e.g. I prefer hessian to foam)
Underlay (someone said there is a different one for stairs from floors)
Suppliers (we have a small Indy up the road who's always seemed reasonable but are the sheds any good e.g. Carpet Right?)

I saw one around £25 sq yd which I quite liked but that came out at top end of budget given the area we're covering. I'd sooner not increase budget unless there are significant advantages.

All hints and tips appreciated. Thanks :-)

Last edited by: smokie on Sun 12 Feb 17 at 15:21
 Buying fitted carpet - PeterS
Decent underlay makes a massive difference, and is much cheaper online than from the high street carpet retailers. The fitters are all subbies in my experience, and couldn't care less who supplied it!
 Buying fitted carpet - Ambo
Carpets are of course a lot quieter than wood but generally harder the clear of stains. We have the same unifying light, solid coloured carpet throughout including hall, landing and stairs, with waterproof non-slip material in utility areas.

Buying fitted carpet - Crankcase
Just had fitted carpet done in one room. It's very noticeably nicer to walk on than anything we've had before. If it's any use, the underlay was something unimaginatively called "Cloud Nine".

The carpet itself, though, was more than you've budgeted, so that may make a difference too of course. All done by local indy we've used before.

We like it a lot.
 Buying fitted carpet - Roger.
Good mid-range stuff.

www.brintons.co.uk/carpets/bell-twist/
 Buying fitted carpet - bathtub tom
I don't think you can get foam backed any more. We've just had a bedroom done and that was a £10/sq yd, loop pile, felt backed polypropylene. Loop pile's NOT recommended for anywhere with cats.

We recently had a new underlay and cut pile polypropylene one in our lounge, towards the top end of pricing. It claims it can be cleaned with mild bleach. We haven't had to get that desperate yet, but all other stains clean off remarkably well. It hasn't been treated (Scotchguard or similar). We went for that one because of three young grandchildren! I do get frequent static shocks when switching the audio amp on and off.
 Buying fitted carpet - Dulwich Estate II
We've always gone for a 80% wool 20% nylon mix in a twist style - as before, loops can catch pet claws and aren't so easy to clean.

This might help:

www.johnlewis.com/buying-guides/carpets-buying-guide

Always put down thick paper or purpose made card over floor boards before laying the underlay - it stops the dust and dirt creeping up and into the carpet.
 Buying fitted carpet - Stuartli
Try a good, respected local independent carpet outlet who use quality fitters (or ask your family or friends to separately recommend a fitter).

I presume you are having the same carpet pattern for the full areas. If you are able to get one you like as an end of reel buy which will cut the cost, a quality carpet fitter will be able to tell you prior to purchase how much carpet length you require for your given area, including stairs (in this case the fitter can cut the length and width required from the end of reel carpet with minimal waste).

As with all things though, you get what you pay for...:-)
 Buying fitted carpet - Dog
Tis a pity my learned fiend doesn't live in Cornwall or the shire of Devon - all of my car pets have come from:

www.trago.co.uk/carpet-flooring--tiles-62-c.asp on a cash & carry basis.

As for underlay, I've always used: www.interfloor.com/Duralay/

I have a man fits the stuff too, you wanna see him work, Christ is he FAST! .. bin doing it for years see.

Buying fitted carpet - Focal Point
Good old Trago Mills! We usually pop in when we're down in Falmouth and pick up some odds and ends.
 Buying fitted carpet - bathtub tom
>> Good old Trago Mills! We usually pop in when we're down in Falmouth and pick
>> up some odds and ends.

And a coffee in their cafe overlooking the harbour.
Isn't Trago Mills that sprawling place on the side of some inland place on the main road? Last time I was there it was absolutely chucking it down, but a long way from any harbour I think...!!

Anyway, re the carpet - thanks so far - favourite is putting down paper underneath the carpet - this house is always full of dust and I've no idea where it comes from so that will stop a potential source.
In Falmouth, Trago Mills is right by the harbour, next to the famous Harbour Lights (fish and chips) and close to the Maritime Museum.

There are other branches in Liskeard and Newton Abbott. Probably not near any harbours.
Yeah, I didn't consider there might be more than one :-)
 Buying fitted carpet - Duncan
Wiki link to Trago Mills

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trago_Mills
 Buying fitted carpet - mikeyb
Didn't know they were branching out into Wales

Little bit of Trago humor for you

www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_OPf6SNlVo
I used to live near Mike Robertson's humble abode up on Bodmin Moor:

www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Cardinham,+Bodmin/@50.5060754,-4.6171484,95m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x486b7c0b9fb125c3:0x647bc68d7fbaa64!8m2!3d50.489797!4d-4.644602

His son Bruce lives there now, after Mike retired to Ireland where he purchased a Hotel, and eventually died.

Here's Bruce at his Liskeard emporium, which is the one I use:

www.exeterexpressandecho.co.uk/images/localworld/ugc-images/276269/binaries/Trago%20Bruce%20Robertson.jpg
 Buying fitted carpet - Ambo
I would certainly go for wool-rich carpeting for hard wearing properties. Some of ours has been with us for 46 years and taking up and relaying in three houses. This includes 42 years in the present one which is larger and about half of the carpet is relatively new. I recall it being described as "a contract line" so probably intended more for public areas like shops but we liked the colour and feel.
 Buying fitted carpet - Manatee
"80/20" was the thing when people bought proper carpets.

Probably right. We had an all-wool one for a while but it didn't wear well by comparison with the 80% wool ones.

Lots of decent man-made options now.
 Buying fitted carpet - MD
We've just done the whole house done in man made, which is neat bleach washable. Can't remember the price. Top quality underlay is an essential.

Avoid Wool unless its been treated against Moth attack. Ours wasn't and it got eaten big time. Apparently all wool carpets used to be treated in this way, but due to cost pressures that went out of the window years ago.

Don't be frightened to try smaller retailers rather than the sheds. They can often be cheaper.
This house was carpeted about twelve years ago with expensive pure wool carpets. They have worn very well, even in areas with heavy traffic. The occasional bobbling is easily removed with a pullover shaver.

BUT - a few years ago carpet moth got into some areas and this is something very difficult to control or even eradicate once it's started. Frequent vacuuming is part of the answer, but the proprietary sprays I've tried do little. Possibly professional treatment might do it, though I suspect it's expensive.

Eventually we'll just change all the carpets.
 Buying fitted carpet - CGNorwich
When was it ordained that all carpets have to be a shade of beige? Looking round John Lewis carpet Department I reckon 70% of carpets displayed were beige.

I guess it was the same time that coloured bathroom suites were banned.

Bring back swirly pattern 1970s carpets and avocado suites I say!
Yup we had in mind a patterned carpet but my little man up the road, who does stock a pretty wide range for a small shop, didn't have any, and said patterns went our years ago. He said the chains still have them and if we go and find one we want he'll see if he can do it cheaper. He's been very reliable over the years.

We did go to Carpet Right yesterday and they do have stuff not in beige, thankfully. I'm told we probably want a mid to dark grey.

We are also replacing the downstairs cloakroom chinawork and you are right about that, no colours available, certainly in the big sheds. Mind you I like white.

Given comments above I will avoid wool, I think that's the expensive option anyway. So that's narrowed it down a bit :-) And I've not forgotten about newspaper under the underlay.
>>When was it ordained that all carpets have to be a shade of beige?

All the car pets in this olde cottidge are a luvly? shade of aubergine/claret - not my choice, they were 'ere when we mooved in six years ago!!

*If* I was to replace them = lounge, stairs, hallway + 3 boudoirs, I'd probably gofer some berber, which I've had before and quite like, but then I'd have to replace the two beige sofas!!!
 Buying fitted carpet - Dutchie
Landing one bedroom and stairs just refitted with new carpets.

Half pure wool and halve synthetic.Brown colour.It is the fitting and underlay with is so important.We used the same local chaps.Fitting is spot on they take their time and do a proper job.About 12 pound a meter all included.
Use our local indy carpet outfit - nice bunch and always helpful / honest. Happy to let me take the samples home or drop them off so we can look at home. As he points out, they often look different in your own home than they do in the shop.

They never have a sale, but their prices are always cheaper than the local sheds for better quality carpets
 Buying fitted carpet - legacylad
When we bought a large neglected pad in a previous life, a friend of mine recommended 80/20. We were very fortunate that she dealt in 'end of rolls' and she had twice weekly deliveries in 40' containers to an ex British Waterways warehouse. Every carpet we bought was Stoddart Templeton, and they lasted fantastically well, even with 3 dogs running around.
No idea if you can still buy ST carpets, but if I ever need any they are my 'go to' make

>> No idea if you can still buy ST carpets, but if I ever need any
>> they are my 'go to' make
>>

If it was these guys your a bit late

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4285111.stm
 Buying fitted carpet - legacylad
It would appear I am a lot late! A friend of mine was a carpet warehouse manager 12 years ago when I bought my last carpet.... 3 bedrooms, study and small landing. All the same colour.
Everywhere else in my place is either tiled or reclaimed squash court floor ( I did some demolition work for another pal!)
 Buying fitted carpet - Clk Sec
>> Bring back swirly pattern 1970s carpets and avocado suites I say!
>>

This could be the forum for you, CGN:

forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1436770
 Buying fitted carpet - Roger.
Never, in all the houses /flats we have owned (9), have we chosen anything but plain non-patterned carpets. Even in the 1970s. :-)
 Buying fitted carpet - Clk Sec
Same here, but we did once specify a pink bathroom suite in a new build property.
Latest Forum Posts