Non-motoring > Gas fire remote control Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 23

Gas fire remote control - Ambo
I have a Gazco Logic E-box gas fire No. 8691 MCUC 25786, installed 19-6-08, with a Mertik Maxitrol remote control. The fire can be operated manually but the control has failed, in spite of new batteries fitted to the fire and to the control.

Has anyone had remote control trouble with this fire and can suggest a remedy please? Replacement controls are available but cost around £80 and there is no guarantee that a new one will work. I can't get anything out of Gazco apart from an interminable "on hold" message. In any case, they seem to be oriented to the trade rather than private enquirers.
 Gas fire remote control - VxFan
Is it an infrared remote control?
If so, point it at a digital camera and see if you can see pulses coming from the LED.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 22 Feb 17 at 12:52
 Gas fire remote control - smokie
Is the remote one of these? tinyurl.com/hjj39kw

It is more like this:

www.amazon.co.uk/Mirtek-Fire-Remote-Control-Handset/dp/B011EXW3BU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1487771127&sr=8-3&keywords=gas+fire+remote

but not identical. It is labelled GSO – ZRHSO

9V DC

Amb temp 0

Date 07/08

On the front is the Gazco name
>>Is it an infrared remote control?
If so, point it at a digital camera and see if you can see pulses coming from the LED.

I don't know. If by LED you mean the red indicator light, it is dead, camera or not.
>> I don't know. If by LED you mean the red indicator light, it is dead, camera or not.

No, there should be a transmitting LED on the end of the case. See below.

linus.highpoint.edu/~mdewitt/phy1050/images/week3/remote-control

The LED can't be seen by the naked eye, but can be with a digital camera. However, the latest digital cameras have UV and infra-red filters, so make sure it's an older camera.

You mention it's powered by 9 volts. So does that mean it has a PP3 battery fitted? The PP3 connector whilst a quick and easy method to change batteries, can be an unreliable connector as the wires going to it can easily become detached, either from the connector itself, or the PCB that it attaches to. Some are soldered directly to the PCB without any wires. This can become loose (dry solder joint). Even the metal contacts can get bent and no longer make contact with the battery.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 22 Feb 17 at 14:15
 Gas fire remote control - smokie
Ambo's pic looks like the one in Fig 1 of my pic. I'm inferring from the text it's not IR, but some clearly are.

EDIT: Ignore that, it also looks like the one in Fig 2, which is IR.

Ambo, if you look in the battery compartment of the handset is there a model number there?

Last edited by: smokie on Wed 22 Feb 17 at 14:17
Ah, in which case it could transmit a Bluetooth signal rather than IR.
There is no PP3 designation on the battery but it is the standard 9v used in smoke alarms and the like. It has a familiar, awkward connector which has both leads on a single bar. This has a plastic cover, is hard to attach and harder to get off. To ends of the wires leading into this can't be seen but all seems secure.

I suppose the fault could lie in the motor but I would expect the light to wink all the same. (That is the only thing on the casing resembling a LED.)
Yep, that's a PP3 battery.

Looking at a PDF document, it's looking more and more like a radio controller than infrared. Basically it works on the same principle of most modern car remotes and transmits a radio frequency.

Willing to take a punt on the battery being no longer in contact with the PCB. Most remotes are either screwed or clipped together - or sometimes a combination of both. You need a "man in a shed" who tinkers with electronics as a hobby. If you were just up the road from me, I'd have offered to have taken a look at it.
Thanks, Vx. I'll try to find someone (my arthritic fingers can't get round fiddly objects).

smokie, no number in the battery compartment. The details I gave are on the outside of the casing.
 Gas fire remote control - CGNorwich
Is your gas fire due for a service? The engineer will check out the ignition system
Not yet but I can see if he will bring the service forward.
 Gas fire remote control - Mapmaker
On of these will do the trick! ;)

www.tvbgone.com/

Gas fire remote control - Dulwich Estate II
I accept that you have a remote control, like using it and now you can't.

But heavens above, this is the first time I've been made aware of such a thing. I too have a similar but manually operated gas fire - maybe once or at most twice in an evening I might get up and adjust it - usually when I want to get a drink or go to the loo.

We now have remotely controlled blinds, and iPhones with their apps to switch off, on and dim things. Touch an app and Eat Now or Delivero will bring you a meal without you lifting more than a finger. Perhaps there's even a remote to open the front door to save one walking as far the hall.

Are all these things actually solutions to problems we don't have ?
>> Perhaps there's even a remote to open the front door to save one walking as far the hall.

That's been around for quite a while now.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMwCeHtH2ho (Published on 19 Dec 2012)
 Gas fire remote control - henry k
>>Perhaps there's even a remote to open the front door to save one walking as far the hall.
>>
or down several flights of stairs.
or throwing the keys out of a top window.

>>Are all these things actually solutions to problems we don't have ?
IIRC that was the comment ( plus lazy bar steward!!) when we first got a TV with a remote control. :-)
>>Are all these things actually solutions to problems we don't have ?

I have a problem right enough, the aforementioned arthritis. This makes it hard to bend down to the right level and hard to twist the rotary control. Remote control here is a godsend.

The only snag is I have four other remotes already - TV, PVR, disc player and soundbase although the 'base can be left to look after itself, once set and the others can often stand in for each other. (For example, starting the disc player and pressing Play starts up the TV.) Yes, I know there are remotes that are supposed to be universal but three hours' frustrating and unsuccessful tuition over the phone to make one work put me off those for good.
 Gas fire remote control - Dulwich Estate II
I completely accept that there are those that need such things.

It's the other 90% that don't need them.
The gasman cometh to deliver 4 sharp lessons:

1-Gazco gas fires are known as unreliable in the trade - avoid them

2-Check the obvious first - are the batteries new? Did do you test them? I said no, because they are new. He tested them.

3-Don't buy batteries from newsagents. The "new" Duracell 9v battery showed only 4.5 volts

4-Use only Energizer Ultimate lithium batteries, they are costly but outlast the rest

He uses these for his own kit. He clipped one in and the stove fired up and down easily.

But thanks for all suggestions.

>> 2-Check the obvious first - are the batteries new? Did do you test them? I
>> said no, because they are new. He tested them.

I failed to mention the obvious, because I thought you had eliminated the battery being the problem.

Why is it when remote batteries start to become flat, we press the buttons a bit harder, shake the remote at the device it's trying to control, and get closer to it if it still doesn't work?
 Gas fire remote control - henry k
No excuses in future !!

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Battery-Capacity-Tester-AA-AAA-C-D-9V-Button-Cell-Checker-Volt-Tester-/201836070733?hash=item2efe5e074d:g:yLMAAOSwvg9XcR6i
 Gas fire remote control - No FM2R
>>1-Gazco gas fires are known as unreliable in the trade - avoid them

Mmmm, you've had it more than 8 years and this is your first issue? Would that everything was that unreliable.
 Gas fire remote control - Old Navy
Beware of tradesmen casting doubt on your appliances, fixtures, and fittings! If it ain't broke it don't need a replacement.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 4 Mar 17 at 18:18
Latest Forum Posts