Non-motoring > Once upon a time in Hollywood. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 3

Once upon a time in Hollywood. - Zero
Quentin Tarrentinos latest. I have avoided a few of his recent films, never seen the kill bills for example, but last night went out to our newest local cinema to see 'OUATIH"

WOW. despite being over 2.75 hours long not one moment did I wonder why I was there to see it. QT has gone overboard on the heavily indulgent cinematography, with some amazing lighting, tricky but fun camera angles, and the attention to period detail is on OCD levels, if you like 60s american car scene - land yachts to pony cars - whole city scapes full of them, with a good choice of period music.

There is no plot, its a series of 60's hollywood cinema/tv pastiches, spot the genre, at the Playboy mansion spot the 60s celeb - from Mama Cass to Steve McQueen, its full of humour, (the Great escape scene is fantastic) got some pathos, and although has some QT trademark stylised gory violence its not much and its relevant.

I say it has no plot, but it does have a message/theme, which is the end of 60 peace & love hippydom with an alternate version of the the Manson murders (which annoyingly you twig 3/4 of the way through the film)

I could see it again, less than 24 hours later and still be wide eyed enthralled.

YMMV of course.
 Once upon a time in Hollywood. - R.P.
Thanks Zero. May wait for this one to appear at our Film & Dining club (they have a cinema that holds 18 and a fine, themed, restaurant)
 Once upon a time in Hollywood. - Ambo
I have pre-ordered an HD copy from Amazon Prime for £11.99. My daughter saw it at the Tivoli, a new cinema in Bath, and liked it a lot. Intriguingly, this establishment serves food and drink to customers in their seats, in the 15 minutes during which the adverts are rolling. She didn't like that at all, poor quality and nearly cold.

That reminded me of 1950s (then) Malayan days, when village fleapit cinemas served cold Tiger beer during performances and customers could send out for a bowl of mee if they were peckish, eaten with the attendant belches that good manners dictated.

Once upon a time in Hollywood. - legacylad
I watched it Saturday afternoon at the Everyman, Glasgow. Enjoyed it.
Should have been with my hard core walking pals on the Southern Upland Way but after 2 long walking days getting soaked I copped out, taxiing them to a godforsaken place called Overfingland on the A702 in sideways torrential rain. I returned to our lovely B & B in Moffat, parked up and caught the £15 return Megabus ( but I did walk Sunday and today when fortunately the weather improved)
Latest Forum Posts