Non-motoring > Winter Solstice Green Issues
Thread Author: CGNorwich Replies: 19

Winter Solstice - CGNorwich
The winter solstice occurred at 04.19 this morning. Hope you were all up to celebrate. If you weren’t you will be pleased to know that I sacriificed a few goats on your behalf and the desired effect has been achieved and the days will now start getting longer.
 Winter Solstice - Zero
I looked outside and it was hissing down, so I didn't come to your Goat slaying ceremony, looking forward to the curry tho.
 Winter Solstice - Ambo
I hate goat curry and time was I had to consume it often, as part of ceremonies where I was the guest of honour. Having seen the goat of the day in question have its head sliced off didn't help my appetite either.
 Winter Solstice - Dog
Apt Bing! page today ... www.bing.com/?pc=EUPP_#
 Winter Solstice - Duncan
>> Apt Bing! page today ... www.bing.com/?pc=EUPP_#
>>

Hardly old dog!

They show the sunrise over Stonehenge - and?

The latest sunrise is not until the 31st of December.

See my link in the adjacent post, scroll down to the stuff just under the calendar.
 Winter Solstice - Dog
>>Hardly old dog!
They show the sunrise over Stonehenge - and?

That Bing page features sunset o'er the Callanish Stones at the Isle of Lewis on the shortest day.
 Winter Solstice - Duncan
>> >>Hardly old dog!
>> They show the sunrise over Stonehenge - and?
>>
>> That Bing page features sunset o'er the Callanish Stones at the Isle of Lewis on
>> the shortest day.
>>

If that is so, then why are they showing the sunset? Because sunset on the shortest day is not the earliest sunset - that was on Friday December 13th.
 Winter Solstice - Dog
>>If that is so, then why are they showing the sunset? Because sunset on the shortest day is not the earliest sunset - that was on Friday December 13th.

Well, I didn't know that guvnor, I don't know everything ya know .. I'll have to check out yore timeanddate site.
 Winter Solstice - Bromptonaut
>> If that is so, then why are they showing the sunset? Because sunset on the
>> shortest day is not the earliest sunset - that was on Friday December 13th.

Because it's a superb picture and, IMHO, Calanais is a rather more dramatic situation than Stonehenge.

Ordinary mortals can actually walk amongst the stones.
 Winter Solstice - Manatee

That's not true in relation to solar noon which moves forward about 3 minutes a week on the 24 hour clock in December. The time between solar noon and sunset is two minutes shorter on the 21st than on the 13th. The reason is that there are not exactly 24 hours in a day.

If you abandoned the 24 hour clock and took noon as when the sun is at its highest the the earliest sunset would be the 21st, about 3h 55m after noon. On the 13th it is about 3h 57m after noon.
 Winter Solstice - Robin O'Reliant
>>
>>
>>

PEDANT ALERT

Today is not the shortest day, it lasts 24 hours like most of the others. The shortest day is when the clocks go forward as it only last 23 hours, and the longest at 25 hours is when the clocks go back.
 Winter Solstice - CGNorwich
Pedantic but wrong of course. A day is technically defined as the time it takes the earth to rotate on its axis which only ever approximates to 24 hours. As far as I am aware daylight saving has no effect on the rotation of the earth

It can also be defined in common usage as the time between when it becomes light in the morning and when it becomes dark in the evening.
 Winter Solstice - Duncan
>> the days will now start getting longer.
>>

Lots of useful information

www.timeanddate.com/sun/uk/london
 Winter Solstice - devonite
Stone Circles are monuments to the Ancestors, and should be visited/worshiped at at the Sunset of the winter Solstice to mourn.
It was the early Druids that started using the stone circles to worship the sunrise on the Summer Solstice.
(incidentally the 25th is long held to be the birth date of the Oak king who reigns over the dark months) and it was the Early Christian Church that actually claimed all the Pagan feast days and changed the names of them, so that recently converted Pagans still had their tradition feast days and didn,t feel too isolated from the community.

Those modern -day Pagans that go to watch the sunrise at summer solstice have got it all so wrong!
 Winter Solstice - Dog
>>Those modern -day Pagans that go to watch the sunrise at summer solstice have got it all so wrong!

Pat used to always observe the winter and summer solstices either down 'ere in the hermit kingdom, or 'up country' at Stonehenge.
 Winter Solstice - Bromptonaut
>> Lots of useful information
>>
>> www.timeanddate.com/sun/uk/london

The mornings are drawing in for another week but the evenings are drawing out already, since Tuesday I think, and after the solstice they're moving faster than the mornings. By Boxing Day sunset is about 5 minutes later than on 13th. We used to reckon we could see difference on Boxing night in the many years that was celebrated at Mrs B's aunt's in Worcestershire.

Although I think the reality was more prosaic: her place had a superb outlook to the west with a tree lined hill defining the horizon.
 Winter Solstice - R.P.
Known colloquially in Welsh as the day of the "step of the cockerel"
 Winter Solstice - Duncan
>> The mornings are drawing in for another week but the evenings are drawing out already,
>> since Tuesday I think, and after the solstice they're moving faster than the mornings.

Do you ever actually read my posts?

Quote:-

"December Solstice (Winter Solstice) is on Sunday, 22 December 2019, 04:19 in London. In terms of daylight, this day is 8 hours, 49 minutes shorter than on June Solstice. In most locations north of Equator, the shortest day of the year is around this date.

Earliest sunset is on 13 December. Latest sunrise is on 31 December."

End quote.

It's a good job I don't do Grumpy!
 Winter Solstice - Zero
>
>> It's a good job I don't do Grumpy!

Well, put it like this, we don't notice a difference.
 Winter Solstice - No FM2R
Summer solstice here is today (22nd). I assume that means the days will start getting shorter as the sun sets earlier from now on.

That's a shame. Though the weather is not at it's hottest yet, that's January.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sun 22 Dec 19 at 19:47
Latest Forum Posts