Non-motoring > ID Problems when Opening a Bank Account Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Perky Penguin Replies: 15

ID Problems when Opening a Bank Account - Perky Penguin
I do not think that this will apply to many of us but for those who have elderly relatives this may help. Basically one seems to need a passport or driving licence plus a services bill with one's name and address, as a mimium for opening any sort of account and many older people may have let these documents lapse or not have then any longer.

Help is available at www.moneymadeclear.org.uk or call 0300 500 5000 for a free copy of the leaflet.
 ID Problems when Opening a Bank Account - Stuartli
The Halifax includes a shotgun certificate as part of its ID service if appropriate..:-)
Thanks for that addition Stuart. Hen's Teeth come to mind! >:)
 ID Problems when Opening a Bank Account - borasport
>> The Halifax includes a shotgun certificate as part of its ID service if appropriate..:-)
>>

If you've lost the certificate, should you take the shotgun to the bank ?
>>If you've lost the certificate, should you take the shotgun to the bank ?>>

I don't think your application would be rejected...:-)

Actually it's not unknown for that to happen, but you can't recognise the individuals involved as they usually are very fond of balaclavas.....
 ID Problems when Opening a Bank Account - Zero
>> >>If you've lost the certificate, should you take the shotgun to the bank ?>>
>>
>> I don't think your application would be rejected...:-)

In those circumstances you don't need an account to make a withdrawal.
>>In those circumstances you don't need an account to make a withdrawal.>>

Hence the third paragraph...:-)
 ID Problems when Opening a Bank Account - Harleyman
I'll add something else to this, which many may not be aware of.

Virtually all financial institutions now use credit reference agencies like Experian and Equifax to confirm an individual's credit worthiness. These systems depend on one's details being absolutely correct, right down to the last comma, and if that is not so you may well find that your credit rating isn't as good as you might think, despite the fact that you've no debt at all.

I came across this recently when applying for a new credit card; when I first moved here, I was given the wrong postcode, and by the time the error had been sorted, it was already on my council tax info, and of course the electoral roll. Took me ages to sort it out, and cost me two months membership of Equifax, surely the most annoying, useless and incompetent bunch of wasters I've ever had the displeasure of dealing with.

Obviously this affects people in rural areras more than towns, but worth bearing in mind.
Last edited by: Harleyman on Sun 3 Apr 11 at 21:58
 ID Problems when Opening a Bank Account - Zero
If you think you have a problem, join credit expert (which is part of experion one of the other major credit reference agencies) and check your credit reference details. It can be done for free if you take up the various special offers.
 ID Problems when Opening a Bank Account - Harleyman
>> If you think you have a problem, join credit expert (which is part of experion
>> one of the other major credit reference agencies) and check your credit reference details. It
>> can be done for free if you take up the various special offers.
>>

My experience is that they drag it out till you have to pay, then getting out again is like trying to remove chewing gum from your shoe. I really wasn't impressed with either of them, I think some of their practices are questionable to put it mildly. I came as close as I've ever done to being downright offensive to the bloke at Experian, who just would not accept that I wanted to close the account.

Much better to double-check all your addresses (paying special attention to the electoral roll) and make sure they all match exactly.
Last edited by: Harleyman on Wed 6 Apr 11 at 01:27
 ID Problems when Opening a Bank Account - John H
>> I do not think that this will apply to many of us but for those
>> who have elderly relatives this may help. Basically one seems to need a passport or
>> driving licence plus a services bill with one's name and address, as a mimium for
>> opening any sort of account and many older people may have let these documents lapse
>> or not have then any longer.
>>
>> Help is available at www.moneymadeclear.org.uk or call 0300 500 5000 for a free copy of
>> the leaflet.
>>

Not sure what you intended to say, but if you mean that the standard ID docs required are not really necessary, then you are right. The relevant web page on your reccommended site is
yourmoney.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/products/bank_accounts/opening_an_account.html

Proof of identity

The law says banks and building societies have to identify new customers.

If you don't have these documents, they may accept other documents such as ..... .
Toynbee Hall’s ID guide – How to prove your identity has more information on the different documents you can use to prove your identity.
www.toynbeehall.org.uk/core/core_picker/download.asp?id=1521

My best mate's other half and her sister have power of attorney with regard to their father, but it doesn't make any difference if they go into the bank after one of his less guarded moments such as recently, for example, when he revealed his credit or debit card details and security number over the phone to scam merchants.

The bank just didn't want to know despite the weight of identification made available when brought to its attention and a request made for a replacement card, so the eventual outcome has been that his cards have been taken from him by his daughters and, thus, some of his valuable independence. The hassle, they rightly feel, just isn't worth it.

In my case I've informed LloydsTSB if its staff pester me just once more about money transfers - even a modest payment to pay a Trustcard bill - it will lose my business permanently. The excuse from the branch manager was that head office is demanding that customers be encouraged to avail themselves of savings and similar accounts.
 ID Problems when Opening a Bank Account - Fenlander
>>>I've informed LloydsTSB if its staff pester me just once more about money transfers - even a modest payment to pay a Trustcard bill - it will lose my business permanently.

They obviously have the ability to put a stop to these calls as I had them many times a year until I made the same threat as you last summer and haven't heard a peep since.
Yes JH - I was not perhaps clear, in my twighlight years! The stated requirements for documentation re financial matters are not rigid, despite what one may be told, and help is at hand thru the info that I posted.
 ID Problems when Opening a Bank Account - Dave
The Natwest refused my shotgun certificate once. Despite the fact that they're not often copied, and the police actually come and verify me. In fact more verification than a utility bill or even a passport.
 ID Problems when Opening a Bank Account - hjd
My son (now just 18) used his shotgun certificate as ID to open a building society account, aged 15.
It was on the approved list of ID so they had to accept it, but were not happy!
Latest Forum Posts