Non-motoring > Good exercise. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dog Replies: 30

Good exercise. - Dog
Some of you who are nearing 40 could start, No time better than now to get with the program.

It's a good exercise program if you are over 40.

Pass to all 40 yrs and older

Cardiovascular Health-Simple Exercise

The older we get the more important it is to incorporate exercise into our daily routine. This is necessary to maintain cardiovascular health and maintain muscle mass.

If you're over 40, you might want to take it easy at first, then do more repetitions as you become more proficient and build stamina. Warning: It may be too strenuous for some.

Always consult your doctor before starting any exercise program!

Scroll Down.

NOW SCROLL UP..

That's enough for the first day. Great job.

Have a glass of Wine.

This email was cleaned by emailStripper, available for free from www.papercut.biz/emailStripper.htm
 Good exercise. - Bigtee
Just arrived today is the new 5ft 40-45kg punch bag god it's heavy and this is my training regime for the next few years back on the bag.

Legs and punches the big 40 is next.
 Good exercise. - Dog
Funnily enough - I bought a punchbag many moons ago, but I never ever got around to filling it with whatever it is you're supposed to fill it with.

I have to make do with some professional Salter weights :)
 Good exercise. - Bigtee
Old rags and sand in this one, got the heavier bag as it does not swing about like the lighter 20kg do as you punch/kick them.

Using knees punches and kicks to get more flexible though it's over 10 years since i last did martial arts and it's all becoming painfull again.!!

Though a very good work out wear the correct gloves ot boots for kicking. :-)
 Good exercise. - Ted
A couple of times a week I park the car in the road outside the house instead of using the drive,
It makes sure I get that little extra workout with the added 25ft or so to walk.

Phew, sweating at the thought of it...that's quite enough !

Ted
 Good exercise. - Stuartli
You're making me feel tired just reading these posts.

So off to bed....
 Good exercise. - RattleandSmoke
I walked the entire length of the south Manchester metrolink extension today (well up to St Werbourghs) and I have spent the last few hours of the day rewiring the HIFI system and removing all the rats nest it has become (I have six sources and two amps so it is a big job).

I still keep getting fatter no matter how much exercise I do though :(

I think it is because the Panda is so easy to drive too it requires no strength at all.
 Good exercise. - MD
Give up bread and spuds and if that don't work cut down on the booze.
 Good exercise. - Dog
Walking is a good exercise, I've been at it since the late 70's + it's low impact,

Jogging is good, but few people (that I see) know how to jog properly (it's not running)

Cutting (back) spuds n' bread is a good way to lose weight, I'm a low carber, and look at me :-D
 Good exercise. - Clk Sec
>>Cutting (back) spuds

It's not so much the spuds, Dog, it's how you cook them and what you put on them.
Last edited by: Clk Sec on Thu 7 Apr 11 at 08:43
 Good exercise. - Dog
>>It's not so much the spuds, Dog, it's how you cook them and what you put on them. <<

Would you care to enlighten us comrade C/S (btw, I've canceled Primus, cost me £71)

We eat spuds 5 times a week, baked x 1 and boiled, tossed in butter with a dash of white pepper x 4 days.
 Good exercise. - Clk Sec
>> Would you care to enlighten us comrade C/S

Well, particularly roast spuds. But also adding butter, milk and various dressings. I like them all, though.

>>(btw, I've canceled Primus, cost me £71)

Cheap at twice the price!

Good exercise. - neiltoo
A CONVERSATION WITH THE DOCTOR

Q: Doctor, I've heard that cardiovascular exercise can prolong life; is this true?

A: Your heart is only good for so many beats, and that's it... don't waste them on exercise. Everything wears out eventually. Speeding up your heart will not make you live longer; that's l ike saying you can extend the life of your car by driving it faster. Want to live longer? Take a nap.

Q: Should I cut down on meat and eat more fruits and vegetables?

A: You must grasp logistical efficiencies. What does a cow eat? Hay and corn. And what are these? Vegetables. So a steak is nothing more than an efficient mechanism of delivering vegetables to your system. Need grains? Eat chicken. Beef is also a good source of field grass (green leafy vegetable). And a pork chop can give you 100% of your recommended daily allowance of vegetable products.

Q: Should I reduce my alcohol intake?

A: No, not at all. Wine is made from fruit. Brandy is distilled wine, that means they take the water out of the fruity bit so you get even more of the goodness that way. Beer is also made out of grain. Bottoms up!

Q: How can I calculate my body/fat ratio?

A: Well, if you have a body and you have fat, your ratio is one to one. If you have two bodies, your ratio is two to one, etc.

Q: What are some of the advantages of participating in a regular exercise program?

A: Can't think of a single one, sorry. My philosophy is: No Pain...Good!

Q: Aren't fried foods bad for you?

A: YOU'RE NOT LISTENING!!! .... Foods are fried these days in vegetable oil. In fact, they're permeated in it. How could getting more vegetables be bad for you?

Q: Will sit-ups help prevent me from getting a little soft around the middle?

A: Definitely not! When you exercise a muscle, it gets bigger. You should only be doing sit-ups if you want a bigger stomach.

Q: Is chocolate bad for me?
A: Are you crazy? HELLO! Cocoa beans! Another vegetable!!! It's the best feel-good food around!

Q: Is swimming good for your figure?

A: If swimming is good for your figure, explain whales to me.

Q: Is getting in-shape important for my lifestyle?

A: Hey! 'Round' is a shape!

Well, I hope this has cleared up any misconceptions you may have had about food and diets.
 Good exercise. - Dog
>>A CONVERSATION WITH THE DOCTOR<<

I just luv Vulcan logic :-D

Good exercise. - Stuartli
>>Well, I hope this has cleared up any misconceptions you may have had about food and diets.>>

You've confirmed what I've been saying for decades...

All you missed out (as a red wine supplement) is Guinness..:-)
 Good exercise. - Leif
>> Well, I hope this has cleared up any misconceptions you may have had about food
>> and diets.

Hee hee. If only that were true.
 Good exercise. - Dave_
I'll hit 40 towards the end of 2012.

I've made an effort to walk more recently - my phone has a rudimentary pedometer built in, with a daily "health target" of 10,000 steps, or around 4-5 miles. The rolling weekly average hovers around the 7,000 mark most of the time though. Add on swimming 1000m 2 or 3 times a week and a proper walk after Sunday lunch, and I think I do my bit.
 Good exercise. - Dog
>>with a daily "health target" of 10,000 steps<<

It's surprising how difficult it is to fit 10,000 peds into ones daily life,
I have a pedometer and will have to dig it out when (and if) we move house.

My 10.5 year old R.Ridgeback is fit (and strong) he sleeps 20 hours a day (praps he knows that Doctor!)
 Good exercise. - Leif
Ho ho.

I run 10 km twice a week to keep fit, not that I am a good runner but at least the heart gets a good workout. I also try and walk at the weekends. Being in a sedentary job does not help. There is a local hill that must be a mile long. I used to cycle to and from work. One day at the bottom of the hill a young person zoomed past me, all smug. Half a mile later, I sailed part him. It's nice to be fit, but I am approaching 50, and it is hard not to put on weight, and the face is collapsing as it does at that age, and the knees ache, and sometimes other bits ache. I guess it is just one slow slide downwards. :( I remember when I could run up stairs, and not notice the effort. And I could eat like a horse, or even eat a horse, and I was regularly told I had worms as I was under 10 stone.
 Good exercise. - Dog
>>and the knees ache, and sometimes other bits ache. I guess it is just one slow slide downwards<<

When we lived next to the Tate modern in sowf lunden, I used to run from there, down to Southwark bridge, along the embankment & back over Blackfriars bridge every morning,

I would do London bridge on Sundays, and quite enjoyed it but - what I found was that although my cardiovasculars were top notch, my knees & hips used to ache, so I kicked that idea into the long grass.

My Rhodesian ridgeback has got the right idea, he's 11 in June and as fit as a Violin on one *good* meal a day, has never chased a ball in his life (but more-than a few catz) and he gets his head down for about 20 hours a day,

oh ... and he's never had a Woman!
 Good exercise. - -
>> as a Violin on one *good* meal a day

Basis of raw meaty bones as per the good Dr Ian Billinghurst?

>> oh ... and he's never had a Woman!

That's why he sleeps 20 hours a day, nothing to live for.
 Good exercise. - Roger.
I love Egyptian P.T.
 Good exercise. - Dog
>>Basis of raw meaty bones as per the good Dr Ian Billinghurst?<<

I feeds im Burns, gordon ~ burnspet.co.uk/ but raw meaty bones from the Butcher would be ideal.

>>That's why he sleeps 20 hours a day, nothing to live for.<<

What you've never ad, you never miss :+)

Good exercise. - Focusless
Got my first race in 6 years mid-May, a local 10k. Trying to get back to 'race fitness', but at 46 it's a lot harder than it used to be. Main problem is the legs - they are now the weakest link, with the muscles on top getting tired after a couple of miles, without being out of breath. Weight not (yet) a problem, and joints seem to be holding up ok; I only run on the 3 days a week I work in the office rather than at home, and not on consecutive days. The days I do run I'm doing about 6 miles in, 4 miles back and a quicker mile in between.

Hoping to do reasonably well in my age group (40-49), but I suspect my time is going to be a bit depressing...

Also do a few light high-ish repetition weights (just dumbbells) at home once a week - don't seem to need to do any more than that to keep me topped up - and press-ups in the mornings I go to the office.

Do I enjoy it? Yes - when I stop it's great :)
Last edited by: Focus on Fri 8 Apr 11 at 12:36
 Good exercise. - Dog
It's surprising (to me) how many people can't even manage 1 proper press up,

I use these just to make it a tad harder ~

www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9237159/Trail/searchtext%3EPUSH+UP+BARS.htm

Weights need to be used at least 3 times a week really :-( light weights are OK.

Good luck! with the race Focus.
 Good exercise. - Focusless
>> It's surprising (to me) how many people can't even manage 1 proper press up,

I'm probably one of them, but as long as it feels like hard work and it makes my breasts bigger then I don't worry too much :)

>> I use these just to make it a tad harder ~

For school I used to have a satchel that you wore like a rucksack. If you filled it with Personal Computer World magazines that also made a good press-up 'aid'.

>> Weights need to be used at least 3 times a week really :-( light weights
>> are OK.

I'm just going by what I need to do to keep at the same level, which is a lot higher than when I first started doing them. No doubt that level would be higher still though if I did them more often, not sure how much though.

>> Good luck! with the race Focus.

Thanks - I'll need it :)
 Good exercise. - Dog
>>but as long as it feels like hard work and it makes my breasts bigger then I don't worry too much :)<<

Haha! ... some men? actually have silly con implants for their pecs & glutes :(

I just do a few weights to keep a reasonable amount of strength for times when I may have lift furniture or carry packing cases at such times as a house move - like now!!!

Good exercise. - Zero
Worked my pet dog dog quite hard, a lot of ball chasing and now she is aging its replaced by swimming (great cardio vascular and muscles and less strain on bones and joints)
The secret is lightness, if they carry minimum weight there is less muscular and skeletal stress. Some people dont realise how little a dog is naturally designed to eat.

The working Malinois get worked really hard. 10 200 yard sprints, and a 10km run (on a bycle tracer) yesterday for example.
 Good exercise. - Dog
R/R's are known for being 'aloof' (bit like moi), if we throw a ball, he just looks at it and looks at us as if we are twits!

He's slowing down a lot these days though, 11 is a good age for RR's, he'll get more walks though when we move :)

I shall miss him 'when he goes', as we've had him from a pup :(
 Good exercise. - Zero
RR's have good prey drive and they have that same guarding "Its mine - not yours, mine - take it if you think your man enough" attitude tho, I bet I could wind him up to ball chase!
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 8 Apr 11 at 16:59
 Good exercise. - Dog
'Funny' dogs though RR's, I don't know whether I'd have another one,
I've had Doberman + GSD's + Cockers, and Heinz 57's from Battersea etc., but RR's can be blimmin odd!

Great with children though, but they are not over-fond of other dogs!!
Latest Forum Posts