Computer Related > I posted on TalkTalk forums yesterday.Wasters! Computing Issues
Thread Author: Roger. Replies: 9

I posted on TalkTalk forums yesterday.Wasters! - Roger.
This is, thankfully, not about me, but about my daughter and son-in-law.
The story: My son-in-law received an email today saying that the Talk Talk engineer would be calling to set up his broadband package.
The only problem is that the address at which the service is supposed to be installed was sold by my daughter well over 12 months ago! At one time Talk Talk did, indeed provide a service, in my son-in-law's name, but this was cancelled long before the sale by auction, after failure to find a buyer for the house, which had stood empty and with no phone service for some months.
My son-in-law has spent an hour or more vainly trying to get some sense from a call centre, whose only suggestion was to wait until the account was up and running and then to cancel it.
LUDICROUS!
How can one cancel an account for which one has not applied?
The sting in the tail? My son-in-law is a serving soldier who has been on post, with my daughter and children, in Germany for the past two years!
Calling an 0870 number from Germany is expensive and to add insult to injury my son-in-law has had the phone hung up on him THREE TIMES by the so-called "help centre".
Unless one of the resident staff can let me have a phone number for him to call, where there is a member of staff who actually has the sense and authority to resolve this, rest assured that a complaint to Ofcom WILL be made.
My son-in-law cannot post here himself as he is, of course not only not a forum member, but not even a Talk Talk customer.
Action this day, please.
Last edited by: Roger on Tue 12 Feb 13 at 19:45
 I posted on TalkTalk forums yesterday.Wasters! - rtj70
I tried to explain to a relative that was having problems with TalkTalk that they got what they paid for. The costs were less and when it worked they benefited. When they had broadband problems and the helpdesk was next to useless - well the savings for the service had to come from somewhere.

Whether I am lucky with BT since I've had their broadband product but it's been really reliable. And I rely on it to work from home most weeks. So I'd rather continue paying for a good service and not getting a poorly supported one. I previously had Virgin Media and would again and they too were reliable - and not the cheapest.
 I posted on TalkTalk forums yesterday.Wasters! - Clk Sec
I used to be a customer of theirs, but never again.
 I posted on TalkTalk forums yesterday.Wasters! - No FM2R
Unfortunately Ofcom may not be the help you hope...

ask.ofcom.org.uk/help/telephone/mobcomp

I presume that you have these details;

Head of Complaints- CEO's Office
TalkTalk Group
P.O. Box 344
Unit 19
Southampton
SO30 2NP

I think last year Ofcom received something like 1 complaint for every 2,000 customers per quarter. Something like 4m customers, so that's 8,000 complaints received by Ofcom about TalkTalk in the year.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Tue 12 Feb 13 at 21:02
 I posted on TalkTalk forums yesterday.Wasters! - bathtub tom
Try this: dido.harding@talktalkplc.com

I find a direct email to the CEO works wonders!
Thanks to all who have relied with helpful info. Duly sent on to BFPO 47 !
 I posted on TalkTalk forums yesterday.Wasters! - Zero
There is no account, no money is going out, he does not live there, does not affect him - not his problem any more. No need to phone, no need to worry. Why are you getting so het up about it?
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 13 Feb 13 at 08:02
 I posted on TalkTalk forums yesterday.Wasters! - Manatee
Judging by Emma's reply on TT,

"As you will see from the forums a number of customers received an e-mail. We are currently investigating this and updates will be provided once we have further information.

As with all issues we are unable to deal with any matter for a third party. General information will be provided as soon as possible."

it looks like an admin cock up rather than a fraudulent application.

Last edited by: Manatee on Wed 13 Feb 13 at 13:14
Yes, I saw that.
Emma was incredibly helpful when TT cocked up my fibre optic installation. The forums (fora for the pedantic, of whom I am usually one) are the place to resolve problems. Ignore the utterly useless overseas call centres.
 I posted on TalkTalk forums yesterday.Wasters! - Chas
Had a similar fiasco recently with Talk Talk.

To cut a long story short my account still had my old landline number on it but they were supplying braoadband quite happily to my new address/landline for the last five years. Wanted to change to Plusnet. Requested a MAC code and of course it wouldn't work on the correct landline number. Many calls later to the incompetant call centres who just weren't geared up to deal with any problem out of the ordinary which was their cockup in the first place.

I had a genius idea. Involved a direct email to a senior person at Talk Talk via Lnkedin. Phone call a couple of days later from someone in the UK and all was sorted out.
Latest Forum Posts