Non-motoring > A Sartorial Question Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dr Prunesqualler Replies: 25

A Sartorial Question - Dr Prunesqualler
An easy one, I hope.

When wearing cuff-links should the decorative side of the cuff-link be positioned to face the wearer or the outside?

Got a bit of a formal event coming up and as wearing a tie is a special occasion for me, cuff links are from a different planet.
 A Sartorial Question - Falkirk Bairn
Decorative side /engraved gold side faces away from the wearer
 A Sartorial Question - paulb
Or, buy some silk buds and worry ye not...
 A Sartorial Question - No FM2R
As Falkirk said, posh side out.
 A Sartorial Question - Dr Prunesqualler
Thanks gents. Saved me from social disgrace and ostracism.

Much obliged.
 A Sartorial Question - WillDeBeest
...decorative side of the cuff-link...

Eh? Proper cufflinks are decorative at both ends. Anything that relies on a swivelly bar is strictly for the Christmas cracker end of the market. Social disgrace and ostracism are only the beginning.
}:---P

But...
...as wearing a tie is a special occasion for me, cuff links are from a different planet.

At least you recognize that the tie comes below the cufflinks on the formality ladder. See, Mapmaker?
Last edited by: WillDeBeest on Sun 19 Aug 12 at 23:52
>> the tie comes below the cufflinks on the formality ladder

Oh no, dear Beest, I'm afraid not. I frequently wear cuff links, even darn the pub, but I only wear a tie for extreme formality (or I'm paid to).
 A Sartorial Question - WillDeBeest
I know it's become fashionable, especially since the tie ceased to be de rigueur in most offices, including mine. Doesn't make it any more right than wearing a black shirt if you're neither a mafioso nor a waiter.
Wouldn't be seen dead in a black shirt.

However, I think cuff links sans tie has been acceptable since at least the 20s.
 A Sartorial Question - devonite
if you wear cuff-links and Tie, you need a matching Tie-pin!
Which reminded me of those pins we used to wear through the collars in the 80s. I swear they were cool. Really cool, just like my white jacket, trousers, shirt etc. etc.

Did I really wear eye-liner?

[shudder]
 A Sartorial Question - Armel Coussine
Whether you wear your shirt inside out or not and your tie round your head or your waist, the important thing is not to forget to wear trousers.
 A Sartorial Question - Iffy
...those pins we used to wear through the collars in the 80s...

I've seen people wearing those in old black and white films, which proves there's nothing new under the sun.

The old joke is true: "That's a nice jacket you are wearing, keep it long enough and it will come back into fashion."

A Sartorial Question - Cliff Pope
>> ...those pins we used to wear through the collars in the 80s...
>>
>>

Collar studs? To attach a detachable collar to the shirt.
 A Sartorial Question - L'escargot
>> Collar studs?

They're still available tinyurl.com/8reyfeq as are collar stiffeners. tinyurl.com/363w5e
 A Sartorial Question - Cliff Pope
>> as are collar stiffeners. tinyurl.com/363w5e
>>

I'd forgotten about those. Plastic things slotted down the collar seam. I remember at school it was almost irresistable to fiddle with them and then they'd break, leaving the collar looking like a bird with a broken wing.
 A Sartorial Question - CGNorwich
I think he means the the things that were popular in the sixties - think beatles, mods and knitted ties and shirts with rounded collars. Must have been revived in the eighties but don't remember.
>> ... those pins we used to wear through the collars in the 80s...
>>

And the 70s, and the 60s, and the 50s, and the 40s, and .........

Can you still get starched collars?
Last edited by: L'escargot on Mon 20 Aug 12 at 09:01
No not collar studs

These things

t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQgpoThhznYnx17-O7nuxPbTfsfBfEHWot659TTIKjCbFVI5ZD6utDeWiX4
Called collar bars:

www.amazon.com/C676-Round-Eyelet-Silver-Collar/dp/B005R4WYU8/ref=pd_sbs_a_3

You were never a mod were you L'es
>> Can you still get starched collars?

In answer to my own question! tinyurl.com/9kb6azv
Last edited by: L'escargot on Mon 20 Aug 12 at 09:04
 A Sartorial Question - Harleyman
>> ...those pins we used to wear through the collars in the 80s...
>>

Far more attractive than the current trend for sticking pins through every conceivable part of the anatomy.

This is the sort of jacket I wear on Saturday nights. tinyurl.com/9xqdr3r
And these brothel creeper shoes.tinyurl.com/9pnedba
Last edited by: L'escargot on Mon 20 Aug 12 at 09:14
 A Sartorial Question - Harleyman
>> This is the sort of jacket I wear on Saturday nights.

Happy memories. Tumbledown Dick's, Farnborough,during my army days in the late 1970's to see the likes of Crazy Cavan, Freddie Fingers Lee, Matchbox and Shaking Stevens, before the latter went mainstream and lost the plot.

I was never a convincing Ted, passion for motorbikes,receding hairline and questionable jiving ability making a sideways move to the bikers inevitable; but it was fun while it lasted and a damn sight more healthy and wholesome than the club scene these days.
 A Sartorial Question - Duncan
>> Happy memories. Tumbledown Dick's, Farnborough,during my army days in the late 1970's

Ah! Tumbledown Dick's!

Which regiment?
Latest Forum Posts