Motoring Discussion > Fiat Panda, 12000 mile review Miscellaneous
Thread Author: RattleandSmoke Replies: 71

Fiat Panda, 12000 mile review - RattleandSmoke
Panda 12,000 miles review

Owned the car for 2 years and 9 months now. This morning it reached 12,000 miles and some how that feels like a milestone.

With car reviews it is easy to get carried away so I am just going to break down into sections.

The Car: Fiat Panda 1.18v Eco Active owned since new.

Driving:-

I really like driving this car and I will compare it to a 1.2 16v i10 which I occasionally also drive and cost exactly the same as my Panda (£6500).

The engine is quite is underpowered at 54bhp there is no denying that but for city driving it is fine, and I can make a quick exist at the lights if I need to. The main issue in town driving is the need for frequent gear changes but good observation can minimise this. The gear change itself is fairly slick and the clutch has a lovely feel to it. The gear change is not a patch on the Ford units used in Fiestas and Focuses etc. One issue I have is the clutch pedal can be quite high, with bigger shoes this can be a problem as I find myself accidentally riding the clutch but with smaller Converse style shoes I find it a lot easier.

The steering is light but has a bit of feel to it, but it still feels like it is connected to an electric motor (which it is) but has enough weight in it to make it feel like it is connected to the wheels. There is also the city button to make it even lighter, but it is pretty pointless.

The brakes are ok, I have had to do a couple of emergency stops since I got the car and both times the brakes impressed with their response. In normal driving they don't feel sharp like the Hyundai but that makes it easier to make comfortable stops and in an emergency I am sure they are fine.

Visibility is simply excellent, lots of glass and very big mirrors never driven a car so good in this regard. I like the high up driving position as well.

Out on the open road the engine copes well providing you use the gears well and don't expect to over taking Mondeos at 90mph. It is refined at higher speeds, at 70mph you can easily have a conversation in the car, not too much road or wind noise and the engine is fairly quite. It is quite a lot better than the Hyundai in this regard.

Living with it and comfort:-

Mine is a base model and I use the car essentially for transporting computers form customers houses to my workshop. Remote central locking would have been very useful but it is the base model and it only came with standard central locking. An electronic boot opening would have been nice too but I am nit picking.

The seats offer good support, I used to have quite a lot of back problems but since driving my Panda I don't get back problems as much as I used to, I can really feel the lumbar support on the back of the seat.

We have done a 10 hour journey (5 hours there and back) for a funeral in this car, with four people in the car and we are all impressed with hour comfortable it was. It is no Mondeo but for a city car it is impressive, it is easily as comfortable as a Fiesta.
Luggage space is a problem, I can't fit most desktops on its side in the boot, so I have to put them on the back seat, not ideal but its better than standing them up in the boot and risking them falling over.

Fuel consumption could be better, my dads I10 does about 5-6mpg better and has a lot more power, but his engine is far more modern and will cost a lot more to fix if it goes wrong. I get around 36-44mpg depending on traffic, time of year etc. On long trips it has approached 60mpg.

Reliability and build quality

For the price this is simply excellent. Obviously corners have been cut here and there but that is to be expected in a cheap city car. All the plastics look basic but feel good quality nothing feels like it will ever snap.

The paint work is not so good, the car does scratch easily but I am told a lot of modern paints are like this.

Reliability has been fine so far the required garage visits have been:-

800 miles – squeaking clutch pedal, relubicrated and assembled under warranty, this sorted the issue.

3500 miles – First service, I complained of a rough idle, dealers discovered faulty flexipipe from the outlet manifold to the exhaust. Replaced under warranty.

6500 miles – Got back to my car to discover a big dent in my wing, took to a body shop and paid £300 to fix it, not the cars fault but annoying even so.

7500 miles – somebody idiot went into the back of me on amber, needed new bumper the third party insurance paid for the damage.

8000 miles – Second service, no problems found.

11,400 miles – Went to my car to find front driver mirror hanging on its wires, needed an entire new mirror, no patter parts for my car, so I had to pay the dealer £98 for a new one, fitted it myself.

11,600 miles – Puncture caused by somebody slashing the side wall, cost me £45 for a new one.

But in terms of reliability touch wood it has been very good, it does uses about 1 litre of oil every 6000 miles but that is well within the specs so not worried about that.

Got the first MOT coming up in May, it will need a new front registration plate but other that I hope it will pass, the only problems might be suspension related due to the severe amount of pot holes on the roads near me.

Conclusion:-

I love the car, it is simple had a bit of bad luck with the bodywork but that is the nature of doing a lot of city driving every day. I have owned many cars, and until this car never owned a car for as long as a year, I was much like Stu. I have had the Panda getting onto three years now and I am not wanting to replace it for a long time yet.

Providing I don't have a major accident, I want to keep the car until it dies but if it has some reasonable value when it gets to six or seven years old I may trade it in.

Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Thu 14 Feb 13 at 16:45
 Fiat Panda, 12000 mile review - Runfer D'Hills
Very good. I see the main moral of the story is not to attempt to drive it in high heels.
 Fiat Panda, 12000 mile review - Roger.
I like the City PS option and use it a lot. Mind you most of my driving is short hops these days. On good A roads and better, I use the normal PS option.
Our car is an 04 Dynamic, so central locking is just nor present in any shape. I do miss remote CL, though.
We will have had our car for 12 months in one weeks time and have covered less than 5000 miles.
Stay at home fogies, we are, these days!
First time I hired a car with the "city" mode available on the power steering I didn't notice it had such a feature. Tell you what, bashing down an Autostrada at max kph in a Panda in a thunderstorm with the steering on super sensitive city mode is a bit of a sphincter twitcher...
 Fiat Panda, 12000 mile review - rtj70
When we had a Panda as a hire car in Tuscany in 2010.... some twit had put the steering in city mode. And so when we got on the motorway the steering as too light... and not knowing the car it was not really safe to turn it off until I got off the autostrada.

Quite enjoyed driving the Panda for that week. I'd have preferred my current car but the Panda was okay.
Can't really compare a £6000 (or even less if it was a Panda actual, a base model not sold in the UK) to a £30,000 top end Passat though :).

I would rather have a £30,000 car myself but oh well :).
I'd have also quite liked what I was expecting - a FIAT 500. But the Panda was fun.

List price of my car was only £28616. Prices went up before I got it delivered ;-)

If we did end up living somewhere like Greece, something small would be what was needed. I'd consider a FIAT for sure.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Thu 14 Feb 13 at 18:14
I do like the 500 a hell of a lot, just too impractical for my needs, and wasn't worth spending the extra money for something with only three doors. If my circumstances were different I may well have bought a 500.
For our Tuscan trip we should have got a FIAT 500 or equivalent - the Panda was cheaper. I know they are both the same car underneath.

Disappointed and three doors not a problem for a 500 as there were two of us. But did enjoy the Panda. Driving on Tuscan roads with great views. And the road to our villa was very poor - the Panda with softer suspension was probably the better choice! Maybe the car hire place knew this? And I wasn't so worried about damaging it.

And my Passat CC would have probably been a bit wide on some of the roads we took.
 Fiat Panda, 12000 mile review - DP
Sounds like a good car that does exactly what a small car should do.

On the subject of paint, the problem is not Fiat, but modern waterborne car paint, which is frankly rubbish. It's one definite backwards step compared to older cars.

The BM has two deep scratches, one about an inch long on the A-pillar, the other about 2" long diagonally on the roof. Both too small and in the wrong places to have been done deliberately, but clearly something has come into contact with, and marked the paint. It also seems very prone to damage from bird poo in a way older paints simply weren't. A bird poo that was on the boot lid for less than 24 hours, and was carefully removed with lots of soapy water has left a permanent trace in the lacquer, visible when the light catches it a certain way.

I can't imagine how badly these paints fare when the car is neglected.

Last edited by: DP on Thu 14 Feb 13 at 17:33
 Fiat Panda, 12000 mile review - Londoner
>> Very good. I see the main moral of the story is not to attempt to
>> drive it in high heels.
>>
Well spotted, Humph! I missed that bit. Be no use to me at weekends then! ;-)
Nice review, Rattle. I almost feel that I've driven the car!

Whilst I respect the views of motoring journalists, I like to read these reviews best. They reflect what everyday people think of their cars and what they see as their strengths and weaknesses.

The bit I liked best was " The main issue in town driving is the need for frequent gear changes but good observation can minimise this."

Why? Because it shows someone actually thinking about their driving, rather than just bumbling along on autopilot like so many plonkers seem to do.
I think Pandas are benchmark cars. As in if you need/want a small car, start there. Bit like Golfs and Mondeos further on up the size scale. Everything else is just about fashion or your degree of tightfistedness. Unless you're a farmer or a Mormon.
Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Thu 14 Feb 13 at 18:34
 Fiat Panda, 12000 mile review - idle_chatterer
Sounds like you LIKE your car Rattle - there is a warmth/fondness in your words, and that is the point after all, many (although not all) motoring reviews are necessarily objective and therefore a little clinical.

Fiat Panda, 12000 mile review - Zero
>> I think Pandas are benchmark cars. As in if you need/want a small car, start
>> there.

I like small cars, basic, nippy, nimble - nothing quite like them. Only the french or the italians could make them, alas the french dont any more (small and basic) only the panda left really.

Edit, tho I have to say, having thrashed a new Ka round jersey, I liked that car a lot. The old Ka was poo, the new one is fantastic.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 15 Feb 13 at 11:37
>> Edit, tho I have to say, having thrashed a new Ka round jersey, I liked that car a lot. The
>> old Ka was poo, the new one is fantastic.

As you know, based on the Panda ;-)
 Fiat Panda, 12000 mile review - Stuu
I think id prob prefer a Panda over an i10, you may have had more to moan about if you had gone Korean.
Ive been driving a 2012 i10 for the last three days and it is a horrid little contraption, I dont know how they could get a small car so wrong.
The revs hang for a full 3 seconds when you dip the clutch, a clutch which isnt at all progressive, the engine seems devoid of any torque and the seats give me leg ache. The boot is also stupidly small. It is refined, but thats about the only positive - I couldnt wait to get back in my rattly old Charade.

Rats, you dont mention the seat folding arrangement - is it any good?
Fuel stats from end of Feb 2012 to yesterday, for our Fiat Panda 1.2 Dynamic, 04 plate.
Litres used and costs include a 25 litre fill up yesterday, which has had little consumption since then.

i115.photobucket.com/albums/n297/penfro/Capture_zpsb5f9b82e.png

Funny how perceptions change. When the Mk1 Pandas came out they were the favoured choice of trendy young things of both genders. A bit like Minis really.

The later models though seem to be mostly parked outside old people's homes. Nothing wrong with that in itself but they are such good little cars I think they deserve a wider audience.

In Italy of course all sorts use them. A pal of mine who lives in Rome and who has more than a euro or three uses one as his city runabout saving his E63 AMG Merc for longer runs.
Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Fri 15 Feb 13 at 12:58
 Fiat Panda, 12000 mile review - Dutchie
My daughters Fiat Panda the back seats go flat to create more space.

She has the 1.2 Eco model with air condition.The car is coming up to 4 years now ready for a service in March.The car is serviced by a independent garage.
>> >> Edit, tho I have to say, having thrashed a new Ka round jersey, I
>> liked that car a lot. The
>> >> old Ka was poo, the new one is fantastic.
>>
>> As you know, based on the Panda ;-)
>>
I may well be mistaken (as usual) but I thought that it was based on the Fiat 500? or do Panda/500 share the same platform anyway?
Last edited by: Londoner on Fri 15 Feb 13 at 13:47
 Fiat Panda, 12000 mile review - Manatee
>> I may well be mistaken (as usual) but I thought that it was based on
>> the Fiat 500? or do Panda/500 share the same platform anyway?

Yes.
Fiat 500 is based on the Panda. The Ka is based on the 500. But essentially a Ka is just a Panda underneath. Most the parts can swap over.

Stu how old was the i10 you drove? The engine does really loosen up with a bit of mlleage on it. As for the cloutch it seems some have badly adjusted cables, my dads clutch was sorted under warranty (was a cable adjustment)

You miss the point of the i10 really, it is just a package it is not a car. It is just a machine to get you to the shops, the Panda is as well but it some how does more than that.

As for the boot, I should have mentioned I got a lot of the furntiure in my office here with the Panda :) It is quite useful with the back seats folded.
>>Stu how old was the i10 you drove? <<

62 plate with 3.2k on the clock. It revs cleanly enough, only the increase in revs doesnt result in much extra speed. I put my foot down in 3rd to join the A14 and it was scary how slowly it gathered speed - while it may be a bit tight, I think it must be heavy aswell - if you followed what the gear change indicator says you are forever one gear too high.

Rats, I am a long term convert of small cars, my Charade was one of the earliest eco petrol city cars so I always judge latter day examples against the first of the breed. The Charade is essentially just a city car, but it has enough poke to overtake stuff, it has a snappy gearbox with a positive clutch so you can make the most of its 50 or so BHP. It also has a decent sized boot that can fit a weeks shopping in the boot - the floor of the i10 boot is so high, it robs it of any useful volume. You know those big reusable Tesco bags? I can fit 6 at a push in my car seats up - barely 3 in the i10, yet my car is smaller - who designs a shopping car that you cant go shopping in?

I like the Panda, it is an honest little car that has a good go at having a broad range of abilities, maybe not excelling in some, but it covers most bases, much like the Charade. Thats why I dont get the i10 - it doesnt feel like they tried very hard.
With the i10's target market it doesn't really matter. My dad has said himself he prefers driving my Panda as it feels more solid and nicer to drive. He prefers the gear change on mine. But my mother had a lot of input, she wanted 5 seatbelts and rear head rests, which made the Panda quite expensive.

The warranty is also much better on the i10. Sometimes it is about the package as well as the car. I have not had any issues with FIAT dealers but there is still time for that to change.

Another thing I should have mentioned about the Panda, is its extremely cheap to insure. I live in the middle of Manchester, use my car for busineess, isnure it for 8000 a year (probably won't do that), and park it on the street. Had one no fault accident, 1 previous claim for a smashed window (2009) yet I still pay just over £400 fully comp.

>> I live in the middle of Manchester

You live in a suburb of Manchester, fairly near the centre of Manchester city centre - probably 3 miles drive. But not the centre of Manchester as such. :-) Not wanting to be pedantic but to me centre of Manchester is the centre of the city.

But £400 for the Panda seems a very good price to me. They are a pretty low insurance group. Must be fairly cheap to fix - but you've alluded to that.
Well central Greater Manchester then :). I am about 3 miles to the south end of Deansgate, or just over four miles to Picciddily. Out of the 50 odd insurance groups, mine is 1. As far as I know the only over car in that group is the 2CV!.

I have pretty much the same engine as your wife has in her Scientco (the 1.1 FIRE) if hers is the 1.1. Very simple engines to work on.
>> Out of the 50 odd insurance groups, mine is 1. As far as I know the only over [sic] car in that group is the 2CV!.

The 2CV is not likely to be insurance group 1 IMO - not modern enough.

When they moved from the 20 to 50 insurance groups they got a bit more flexibility mind. I am sure the Citroen C2 was either group 2 or 1 and that means not much in it.

Looking at Autoexpress I see they have the lowest group for a Panda 1.2 as 4. The Ford KA is 3. Mine is 26.
And remember the premium is only partly affected by the car you drive. There are other factors.

Just did a quick quote with DirectLine for me. Insurance quotes are for my company car as if it were mine and my wife's car (Seicento). Difference with the default options for 12 months insurance is £125. Everything else for the quote remained the same and I didn't tweak voluntary excess etc. So a 1.1 litre Seicento vs. a 2.0 170PS Passat CC. The Seicento is worth very little and might have been £5000 (ish) in 2001... the Passat CC was nearly £29k in 2011.
Just for comparison, on the Charade I pay £312 a year, 16,000 mileage limit, decade of no claims bonus, parked in the quiet suburbs.
Interestingly I only pay £412 a year on the Matrix on 6k, no NCB and my wife as a named driver but both our other cars are insured with same company and we get some collective bonus for doing so. My mum is a named driver on all our policies as it seems to knock a fair chunk off the premium ( female, 57 so v.low risk ), plus it is useful that she could drive our cars on occasion.
I do pay extra for the NCB, which brings it to about £500, but the basic fully comp quote was £400. In fact did get slightly cheaper than that but it was with some pretty bad insurance companies. I am with DL which is pretty middle of the road in terms of customer sanctification.
>> I am with DL which is pretty middle of the road in terms of customer sanctification.

You are the forum's Mr Malaprop, even if that one was down to your spell checker!
We are with Privilege who seem to like people my age, they have been consistantly cheaper for me for 6 years and the Charade went down £60 a year in Dec, so clearly they are working to retain customers.
>> Just for comparison, on the Charade I pay £312 a year, 16,000 mileage limit, decade
>> of no claims bonus, parked in the quiet suburbs.
>> Interestingly I only pay £412 a year on the Matrix on 6k, no NCB and
>> my wife as a named driver but both our other cars are insured with same
>> company and we get some collective bonus for doing so. My mum is a named
>> driver on all our policies as it seems to knock a fair chunk off the
>> premium ( female, 57 so v.low risk ), plus it is useful that she could
>> drive our cars on occasion.

Blimey I pay 300 quid a year in the south east suburbs, both her and me insured and we have two cars with them

Aviva
>>Blimey I pay 300 quid a year in the south east suburbs, both her and me insured and we have two cars with them <<

Yes, but your really old.

Aviva were quoting £700 odd on the Charade which is crazy. The only one that came close to Privilege was Morethan, but not close enough. I check it every year on comparison websites, nobody has beaten Privilege for years. Privilege automatically give you business use cover, unlike many others, which makes their prices especially good for me.
>> >>Blimey I pay 300 quid a year in the south east suburbs, both her and
>> me insured and we have two cars with them <<
>>
>> Yes, but your really old.

Not much older than you in insurance terms, I have less NCB than you, and, i thought i lived in a higher risk area than you. Something is loading your quotes up.

Edit BING - self employed. Insurance dont like it.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 15 Feb 13 at 21:10
 Fiat Panda, 12000 mile review - Lygonos
Self-employed here, and business use included for £155 for the Swift.

Small town, though, and not in a 'shunts-4-cash' hotspot either.
Strange, insurance companies dont like doctors either, reckons they are all potential alcoholics or druggies.
>> Strange, insurance companies dont like doctors either, reckons they are all potential alcoholics or druggies.

Only folks doing more drugs than doctors are the retired.

I should know: I'm their dealer.
>>Not much older than you in insurance terms, I have less NCB than you, and, i thought i lived in a higher risk area than you. Something is loading your quotes up.

Edit BING - self employed. Insurance dont like it. <<

I dont know about the area, my parents live in a village 15 miles away and my insurance went up when I moved here ( 10% or so ), so it is certainly not the lowest risk area in insurance terms, although I couldnt tell you why, its very quiet.

Self-employed, doing over 15k sometimes makes a hit, I really do pile the miles on and they dont like above average miles. The Charade isnt especially low insurance group either - in the 20 group system it was group 5 when many 1.0 cars were group 3.
 Fiat Panda, 12000 mile review - CGNorwich
Check out your insurance area by postcode

A = good
F = bad

www.motorcarinsuranceuk.co.uk/post-code-ratings.php
Very interesting. We're in a B.

Uncle recently moved from West Yorkshire to Dumfries and Galloway, his insurance went down a lot - checking those codes, he moved from D to A.

I'll save that for when I move.

Mines an A, so is my parents so who knows why a change of address made a difference.

Good link though.
C here.
 Fiat Panda, 12000 mile review - Crankcase
Don't know how up to date the postcode checker is. Mine isn't listed at all. It changed about seven years ago now.
You might find this interesting. It gives the profile of people living in any particular postcode.

www.checkmyarea.com/

Rattle like many in Manchester suburbs is in a 'refer' area. We're in F. Doesn't surprise me for where I now live or Rattle.

We both live in nice area - and not so nice areas nearby. Draw your own conclusions where those doing the car crime come from.
>> We both live in nice area - and not so nice areas nearby. Draw your
>> own conclusions where those doing the car crime come from.
>>
Indeed. Though the area with the biggest criminals are the most expensive ones. That's where the bankers, politicians, lawyers and footballers live.
That is pretty accurate for our postcode!
Classification Well-off older couples and families in large detached and semi-detached houses
Relative to Population This postcode is typical of 3.69% of the UK population.
Housing Type Properties are mainly detached or semi-detached and are owned outright or mortgaged. The typical property price is average. The properties are very large in size and are located in small towns, suburbs or rural areas. People will typically have lived here for 11 or more years.
Residents In this area the most common social group is ABC1. The children living in this area are typically aged between 5 and 19 years and the adults between 30 and 64 years. Households consist of couples and families. The population density at this postcode is approximately 23% of the national average. The people living here are in general qualified to a high level and the typical employment type is classified as professional or white and blue collar. Unemployment stands at 50% of the national average, and the industry sector is defined as consisting of manufacturing, for example brewing, steel, petrol and car manufacture, the service industry, for example tourism, retail, transport/distribution and catering or intellectual services, for example IT, scientific research, education and consulting. The number of directors is 11% higher than the national average. As defined by the Census, the ethnic break-down of this postcode is typically white.
Social Classification
We are all described as being within a "social class" or " socio-economic grouping". These tend to rely on the occupation of the main earner within a household and are no more than rough groupings, used principally by advertisers to segregate their target audience. There is no reliable single definition of the groups, nor of what is included in them, so please treat this with a pinch of salt.
The social classification of the residents of KT15 3HP is ABC1

as they are rich we screw them over by putting them in insurance group D

I added the last bit!
 Fiat Panda, 12000 mile review - Crankcase
You're giving a lot away recently, zero. Unless you've fudged the postcode of course. What with that and (probably) being able to work out your full name from a posting the other day!

Yup the post code is fudged. Like the " hp" bit?
 Fiat Panda, 12000 mile review - PeterS
Ah OK, just thought I'd flag it :-)
 Fiat Panda, 12000 mile review - PeterS
You might want to edit out your postcode Zero...
 Fiat Panda, 12000 mile review - Bromptonaut
Mine, in a village that is effectively detached suburb of Northampton, is word for word same as Zero's
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sat 16 Feb 13 at 09:13
>as they are rich we screw them over by putting them in insurance group D

No, it all those C1s lowering the tone.
Executive households in suburban terraces and semi-detached houses
Relative to Population This postcode is typical of 2.40% of the UK population.

Properties are mainly semi-detached or terraced and are owned outright, mortgaged or privately rented. The typical property price is average. The properties are larger than average in size and are located in large and small towns or suburbs. People will typically have lived here between 2 and 11 or more years.
Residents In this area the most common social group is ABC1. The children living in this area are typically aged between 0 and 15 years and the adults are of mixed ages. Households consist of singles, couples and families. The population density at this postcode is approximately 62% of the national average. The people living here are in general qualified to a very high level and the typical employment type is classified as professional or white collar. Unemployment stands at 70% of the national average, and the industry sector is defined as consisting of the service industry, for example tourism, retail, transport/distribution and catering or intellectual services, for example IT, scientific research, education and consulting. The number of directors is 47% higher than the national average. As defined by the Census, the ethnic break-down of this postcode is typically white.

Social group is mainly A, B and a small amount of C1.

The level of investors in this area is the national average and the financial risk associated with this postcode is classified as being roughly 60% of the national average.

Most people read a paper such as the Daily Mail, the Daily Express, The Times, the Independent, the Telegraph or the Guardian and the level of internet usage is high. Response to mail order companies is high. There is an average level of car ownership and when travelling to work people tend to use public and private transport.

Residents in M21 XXX have a higher than average affluence rating, indicating higher levels of income and lower levels of financial commitments. Typically these may include DINKY (dual income no kids yet) or 'Empty nesters' - where children have grown up and left home.

Pretty much sums it up really, the car ownership is average because the there is a tram stop and a very good bus service, so if work in the city centre you don't really need a car. On my block we have two cars, next door have none (rented), the house next to that has none, the house next to that has one, and the rest all have two cars each.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Sat 16 Feb 13 at 14:03
 Fiat Panda, 12000 mile review - DP
I think the postcode table for insurance risk is very simplistic. Ours is a B, which seems about right. The council estate I grew up on, where it certainly wasn't uncommon for a car to be stolen within hours of its owner bringing it home for the first time, is also a B.

I suspect the last three digits make quite a difference.
 Fiat Panda, 12000 mile review - No FM2R
>>I suspect the last three digits make quite a difference.

It depends on the area covered, both in size and type. A large housing estate may have a multitude of Postcodes, but is basically all housing of a similar type, with traffic of a similar weight and type and miscreants of similar calibre.

Where as a rural area may have far fewer postcodes but the ones they do have cover a wide variety of environments.

It may be that a particular estate has a horrible theft record, but a posh area has a nasty junction in it where people keep dying.

Or completely the opposite of course, the point being that it is not consistent or simple.

So, without particularly understanding the reasons behind it, conclusions can be drawn. The thing about generalizations is that whilst they are not always correct, they generally are.
>>So, without particularly understanding the reasons behind it, conclusions can be drawn. The thing about generalizations is that whilst they are not always correct, they generally are.

Same with credit risk scores. They are often completely wrong in predicting good and bad outcomes, but generally they are right - or at least the percentage that you need to do the sums is.
If they didn't work, - generally that is, they would have thought something else up.
>> they would have thought something else up.

They have :-)
 Fiat Panda, 12000 mile review - Duncan
>> The children living in this area are typically aged between 0 and 15 years and the adults are of mixed ages. Households consist of singles, couples and families.
>>

Good Gawd!

Statement of the bleedin' obvious, or what?

Did someone pay good money for this?
"Statement of the bleedin' obvious, or what?"

Not really. It paints a picture of a mixed population

Contrast with:

"the children living in this are are typically between 11 and 15 years and the adults mainly over 40. Households consist of mainly couples and families"

It broad brush certainly but does give an impression of the area.

Last edited by: CGNorwich on Sun 17 Feb 13 at 08:48
What is odd about my area is 30 years ago there was a lot of families. A lot of the kids that were born when I was still live with their parents like I do. I would say about 60% of the kids on my room who are my age, still live at home (a sign of the times!).

However in the past ten years a lot of young professionals have moved in, these people are now starting families so there quite a few babies and toddlers on my block. Very few teenagers.
>> >> The children living in this area are typically aged between 0 and 15 years

Yes, well, they would be.

>>>> and the adults are of mixed ages

Yes, I have noticed that; adults do seem to vary in age - unless, of course, they all have the same date of birth.

>>>>Households consist of singles, couples and families

Well, if you are not single, one of a couple or part of a family - what else can you be?

Ahh I see , you're simply being pedantic. My pedantry detector wasn't switched on. :-)
>> Ahh I see , you're simply being pedantic. My pedantry detector wasn't switched on. :-)

You can get an auto plugin for the browser, its a prerequisite for this site.
 Fiat Panda, 12000 mile review - Armel Coussine
>> its a prerequisite

'it's a prerequisite', surely Zero? Just a typo no doubt.

:o}
Along with the trolling and irony alarms.
>> Ahh I see , you're simply being pedantic. My pedantry detector wasn't switched on. :-)
>>

Well, call it pedantry if you wish.

I was quite simply pointing that the parts of the report which I quoted from were, as I said, statements of the obvious!

Presumably someone, somewhere, had paid good money to have that report compiled and a child of five could have given them that information for nothing.
Now I am confused!

In my first response I pointed out that the report from which you quoted was not necessarily a statement of the obvious. The fact that adults of all age groups are living in an area is neither always true nor obvious. There are many areas where the adults are mainly young and there are very few children for example. Similarly there are are areas where the population is mainly over 60. A search on the website for different post codes will reveal areas of that type.

Since you didn't seem to take this on board I understood from your second post that your objections to the report were more of a pedantic than factual nature and you were objecting to the precise formulation of the words used in the report.

For example:

"and the adults are of mixed ages"

should perhaps more correctly read:

"and the adults are of mixed age groups"

:-)

Last edited by: CGNorwich on Sun 17 Feb 13 at 22:24
Latest Forum Posts