Motoring Discussion > Volkswagen - Ridiculous VW delivery times - again. Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Oldgit Replies: 67

Volkswagen - Ridiculous VW delivery times - again. - Oldgit
I currently have a Golf MK6, as readers might know and am now interested in the Golf MK7 later in the year.
My current car was ordered in Feb 2009 and a 10/12 week delivery eventually ended up as a 5 month wait.
I have contacted two VW dealers in my area and beyond and have been told that I can expect a five month wait again for all factory orders, which doesn't bode well for my continued interest in this make/model.
I am currently looking at Audi, Ford, Hyunda, Kia and others to see whether I could live with their Golf equivalents and then investigate what their delivery times might be.
 Volkswagen - Ridiculous VW delivery times - again. - CGNorwich
Have a look a the new Skoda Octavia which is after all based on the same chassis as the Golf and is cheaper. I suspect though that there may be a waiting list for them as well.
The Octavia is a tank of a car.
 Volkswagen - Ridiculous VW delivery times - again. - Robin O'Reliant
My last new car was a VW Lupo back in '01, I had to wait three months for it. Every other new car I bought was driven from the showroom once the agreement was formalised.
Each to their own of course but I would have thought that an Octavia is very comparable in most ways to a Golf.
 Volkswagen - Ridiculous VW delivery times - again. - DP
>> Each to their own of course but I would have thought that an Octavia is
>> very comparable in most ways to a Golf.

I went in a new Octavia recently, and was very impressed by the fit, finish and general ambiance of the interior. I would be very surprised if a Golf offered any notable improvement in any of these areas.

That, and it's a handsome beast, to my eyes at least.
 Volkswagen - Ridiculous VW delivery times - again. - Crankcase
The new Golf SE offers adaptive cruise control as standard, I believe. My understanding (and am prepared to be corrected as not driven one) is that it's not "ordinary cruise OR adaptive" - it's entirely adaptive.

If you're a fan (like me) great. If you're not, tough luck. You could of course opt never to turn it on at all and drive cruise control free.

Octavia allegedly has it as an option now, (but good luck finding out the price from Skoda's website, as it's not quite launched.)

If I'm wrong about the Golf system I'd be delighted to hear so.
>> The new Golf SE offers adaptive cruise control as standard, I believe. My understanding (and
>> am prepared to be corrected as not driven one) is that it's not "ordinary cruise
>> OR adaptive" - it's entirely adaptive.
>>
>> If you're a fan (like me) great. If you're not, tough luck. You could of
>> course opt never to turn it on at all and drive cruise control free.
>>
>> Octavia allegedly has it as an option now, (but good luck finding out the price
>> from Skoda's website, as it's not quite launched.)
>>
>> If I'm wrong about the Golf system I'd be delighted to hear so.
>>

The Golf SE does offer ACC and a speed limiter and City emergency braking and on and on and including Start/Stop and regenerative braking system and much more than can I remember here without checking - just read the VW blurbs for all that infor.
It offers, as standard, more than the equivalent Audi A3 Sportback but but not the extra badge snobbery, of course nor the alleged superior quality.
Isn't the Octavia a large saloon with a cavernous boot? I think it is and I don't want such a large car with a boot whose capacity I will never use, notwithstanding the comparable quality of both, which I will accept.
 Volkswagen - Ridiculous VW delivery times - again. - RattleandSmoke
You sure you're not confusing the Octavia with the Suburb?
It's actually a hatchback although it does look saloon like. It does have a large luggage space for its class. Octavia is about 12 inches longer than a Golf.
 Volkswagen - Ridiculous VW delivery times - again. - BiggerBadderDave
"Octavia is about 12 inches"

Thank you. That's my new nickname - Octavia.
 Volkswagen - Ridiculous VW delivery times - again. - L'escargot
>> The Octavia is a tank of a car.
>>

The only thing which decided me against buying a 2.0 TSI 200ps petrol Octavia vRS was that it was too long to fit in my garage without removing the work bench.
That's a seriously quick car. You would have had to change your name as well as dispose of the bench. :-)
>> That's a seriously quick car. You would have had to change your name .............

L'escargot by name but not by nature!
 Volkswagen - Ridiculous VW delivery times - again. - No FM2R
>> a 10/12 week delivery eventually ended up as a 5 month wait.

I am always amazed by this. Are there long delivery times in the rest of Europe also? I wouldn't accept 10/12 week without a substantial discount, never mind 5 months.

Bear in mind that for a dealership the longer lead time they can sell you, then the cheaper the car is to them. (no storage, maintenance and care, finance charges, etc. etc)
I had to wait about 10 weeks for my Panda, in the mean time I was driving my dads scrap head of a rusted Fiesta. It is annoying because you're excited about getting a new car, but it is only like holidays you often have to wait a long time for them.

If OPs current car is ok then 10 weeks is not too bad. I would draw the line at 5 months though it is far far too long, no car is good enough to be worth that wait.
 Volkswagen - Ridiculous VW delivery times - again. - Boxsterboy
>> I wouldn't accept 10/12 week without a substantial discount, never mind 5 months.
>>

But surely that's the whole point. With demand causing 10/12 week delivery, they don't need to discount.
 Volkswagen - Ridiculous VW delivery times - again. - No FM2R
>>With demand causing 10/12 week delivery

But it isn't. Supply Management is.
 Volkswagen - Ridiculous VW delivery times - again. - Bill Payer
>> >> a 10/12 week delivery eventually ended up as a 5 month wait.
>>
>> I am always amazed by this. Are there long delivery times in the rest of
>> Europe also? I wouldn't accept 10/12 week without a substantial discount, never mind 5 months.
>>
I think VAG generally has a problem as it can't make engines fast enough. Lead times are similar in other European markets - perhaps surprisingly, as the cars are quite a bit more expensive there.

On the other hand, the models sold in the US are generally available from stock - and they cost less there!

We bought a MK6 Golf from stock in March 2011 - but the dealer was very miffed that we wouldn't take finance and I've heard stories of dealers refusing to sell to cash buyers.

>> Bear in mind that for a dealership the longer lead time they can sell you,
>> then the cheaper the car is to them. (no storage, maintenance and care, finance charges,
>> etc. etc)
>>
I don't follow that - can you run it by me again?
 Volkswagen - Ridiculous VW delivery times - again. - Alanovich

>> On the other hand, the models sold in the US are generally available from stock
>> - and they cost less there!

Don't they mackem in Mexico for the US market?
>>
>> >> On the other hand, the models sold in the US are generally available from
>> stock
>> >> - and they cost less there!
>>
>> Don't they mackem in Mexico for the US market?
>>

I don't know, but I was thinking about VAG generally, which would probably be mainly Audi in the US.
Wouldn't be so sure. I see a lot of Golfs (do they still call them Rabbits over there?) and Passats in US TV shows/films. Not that I've been to the US in about 10 years.
 Volkswagen - Ridiculous VW delivery times - again. - rtj70
>> >> >> On the other hand, the models sold in the US are generally available from stock
>> >> Don't they mackem in Mexico for the US market?

The Americans tend to always buy cars from stock. They want to walk into a showroom and buy a particular car and get it today. They don't tend to do factory orders. If you look at a VW CC, if you say want a sunroof you'd have to probably go for the top of the range model.

As for making VWs in Mexico for North America - they make some cars there but not necessarily just for America. I'm thinking of the Beetle for instance. I'd hazard a guess at the Jetta being made there too since saloon VWs are more popular in the States than over here.

Some models over there are now different to the European models. The Passat for North America is a totally different car to the European version. Different size and made to a price - simpler so also cheaper.
 Volkswagen - Ridiculous VW delivery times - again. - borasport
Ordered a new Octavia through the fleet managment company in Feb - expected delivery, last month of May

as it was ordered before launch and the fleet management co's spec was different from what was on the Skoda configurator at the time, and what was on the confiurator then is different from what's on it now, I wait to see what it actually arrived with ;-)
Oldgit, the lead times for VW cars is influenced by the quota system they operate for dealers. If a dealer sells all of their quota for a model then you'd have to wait until they can get a car.... another dealer therefore may not have such a wait.

My VW came via a fleet order and it was ordered in plenty of time to make sure it arrived for the October that year.... lead time was being quoted as 5 months.... it arrived in 3 and then sat in a compound for nearly two months.
The Octavia is too big and cumbersome. Simples.

Regarding delivery, I can only reiterate as to what I have been told and they told me about quotas etc etc. There's nothing I can do. One might have been bette off ordering one in January before the word got around about this new model that was only introduced in December last year, I believe.
I have just come back from a pub lunch and was following a rather nice looking Hyundai i30 and was wondering what I get for my money with that. I'll go to the website and do a bit of research.
But the thing with the quota system is one garage might make you wait 5 months and another might get the car in 3 months or less.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Fri 12 Apr 13 at 14:24
 Volkswagen - Ridiculous VW delivery times - again. - BobbyG
Oldgit - there is life beyond VW Golfs!!!!
Don't wanna go all Humph/Mondeoy, but may I suggest the current, rather good, Renault Megane?

;-)
>> Oldgit - there is life beyond VW Golfs!!!!
>>

I knew someone would say that!

See above and note that I am developing an open mind.
 Volkswagen - Ridiculous VW delivery times - again. - Crankcase
If you use drivethedeal, don't they source it from where-ever they can in the UK but deliver it to you, so it it will come from any dealer? Your local dealer then looks after it for you in the normal way as I understand it. Might be quicker.

And just as experiment I chucked in a 1.4tsi SE with the only option being metallic paint.

Drive The Deal Discounted Price: 17364.95
Your Saving: 2780.05

No idea if that's any good of course.
£18K for a Golf. Blimey I had no idea they were so expensive.
 Volkswagen - Ridiculous VW delivery times - again. - Meldrew
What about £17,400 for a Polo then Rattle? 1.4 TSi ACT Blue GT what ever that means? If you want 5 doors add £700
You can have a fully loaded Panda Trekking for £13,150
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Fri 12 Apr 13 at 17:55
>> £18K for a Golf. Blimey I had no idea they were so expensive.

I had a Golf in 1999. A five door GTi 1.8T with a few options. That was more than £18k back then. I'd be interested in a GTD next year but I am sure it would cost nearer £30k. And so I'd probably get something a bit cheaper.
 Volkswagen - Ridiculous VW delivery times - again. - Zero

>> That was more than £18k back then. I'd be interested in a GTD next year
>> but I am sure it would cost nearer £30k.

Starts at 25k. Thats a ridiculous price for a small family car.
>> £18K for a Golf. Blimey I had no idea they were so expensive.
>>

That's only for starters. A new Golf speccd to my current one will cost me now, £21500 but that includes an expensive panoramic sunroof (£900)
TBH, I cant see the point in buying a new Golf every three years. Its never that different from the old one, its not as tho its unreliable and you need the warranty, and it cant possibly be cheaper. If wanted a new car every three years, I wouldn't be buying the same model every time, I would relish a change from VW coal mine interiors.
 Volkswagen - Ridiculous VW delivery times - again. - Clk Sec
>>See above and note that I am developing an open mind.

I understand that there's a new Mazda3 coming out later this year. September, I think.
 Volkswagen - Ridiculous VW delivery times - again. - Fursty Ferret
Seat Leon? Impressive level of toys for the money.

I've been driving a Seat Ibiza while Vauxhall scratch their heads over my DAB radio and frankly the only thing it's going for it is that it's aptly named - in that it's cheap, nasty, noisy and uncomfortable - but it did have a bangin' stereo for me tunes.

Bit of a shame really, as it's put me off the entire Seat brand. A Polo is like a cheaper, smaller, Golf but this was just unpleasant. It also had weird brakes, which varied randomly from "massively oversensitive" to "wooden block on wheel rim" and made motorway slip roads an entertaining proposition for all involved.
 Volkswagen - Ridiculous VW delivery times - again. - mikeyb
FIL has a new Leon FR on order, but I understand he is being messed about with delivery times.

My two factory ordered Audi's both came when promise which was 10 and 12 weeks from order
Delivery times on Seats (those to order) are just as long as VWs.
IIRC Oldgit, you like to order brand new as you usually spec up the car with options - sunroofs spring to mind?
Would you be willing to forego them for a pre reg, dealer demonstrator / broker car?

Or if the new car isn't out till later in the year, just order it early? This is a bit deja vu though - I seem to remember you ordered your last car without having driven the new model at that point?

I have seen the new Seat Leon and would definitely go for that over a Golf but I kind of put VW into the same bracket as Apple - they are great what they do, reliable, but there are other options out there that if you are prepared to look for, will find that they are actually better and more flexible.

Cousin appeared round with a Focus Titanium X the other day - had every toy going in it , I was actually very impressed with it and I am not usually a Ford fan.

" there are other options out there that if you are prepared to look for, will find that they are actually better and more flexible."

I would agree with that but there is one area where the VW Golf is king and that is in retaining its value. If you are a car buyer who buys new and sells after 3 years then it makes sense to buy a Golf. The Kias and Hyundais depreciate far more rapidly as indeed does the Ford.

If you are buying long term or second hand the Golf looks a loss less attractive.
 Volkswagen - Ridiculous VW delivery times - again. - Avant
That of course is the crucial point. Either (a) buy new and change every three years or so, as Oldgit does - while you can still get a good PX price for it - or (b) run it into the ground.

I've being doing (a) up to now, and VAG cars have been ideal for this; but I'm likely to retire next year and may have to go for (b).
You of course forgot option c which is to buy six months to a year old when its lost a good bit of depreciation and sell at the 3 year mark? And buying a used car means its there, no waiting times and no list prices!
 Volkswagen - Ridiculous VW delivery times - again. - Notdoctorchris
I waited 7 months between ordering my Dacia Duster and delivery!
>> And buying a used car means its there, no waiting times and no list
>> prices!
>>

And no knowing how it's been thrashed by previous owners.
>> And no knowing how it's been thrashed by previous owners.
>>

Indeed.

And not knowing whether it's been wrapped around a tree by previous owners.
 Volkswagen - Ridiculous VW delivery times - again. - bathtub tom
>>And no knowing how it's been thrashed by previous owners.

Have you seen how they're offloaded at the docks?

As for the way they're put on car transporters........................................ ;>)
 Volkswagen - Ridiculous VW delivery times - again. - -
>> Have you seen how they're offloaded at the docks?
>>
>> As for the way they're put on car transporters........................................ ;>)

Oy..;)...i didnt abuse anything but agreed seen some sights that would make your hair turn white.

As it 'appens...weirdo leer to camera...i picked a load of new cars up at Immingham, during inspection on one particular sports hatch thingy noticed some black marks round the front wheelarches.

Closer inspection to this brand new car revealed two almost bald front tyres, which hadn't been swapped as there was rubber debris round both wheelarches and spattered up the sills, someone had been baeen having a play, probably across the water as QC this side was good.

Got that signed off sharpish, once loaded would have been down to me.
>> That of course is the crucial point. Either (a) buy new and change every three
>> years or so, as Oldgit does - while you can still get a good PX
>> price for it - or (b) run it into the ground.
>>
>> I've being doing (a) up to now, and VAG cars have been ideal for this;
>> but I'm likely to retire next year and may have to go for (b).
>>

I usually change when my cars are at least 4+ years old! My current car is fours years old in July (how time flies by).
At 75 this new Golf7 could conceivably be the last car I might buy with the way driving on our roads is going with regard to road surface quality, density of traffic here in the SE etc.
>> IIRC Oldgit, you like to order brand new as you usually spec up the car
>> I have seen the new Seat Leon and would definitely go for that over a
>> Golf but I kind of put VW into the same bracket as Apple - they
>> are great what they do, reliable, but there are other options out there that if
>> you are prepared to look for, will find that they are actually better and more
>> flexible.
>>
>> Cousin appeared round with a Focus Titanium X the other day - had every toy
>> going in it , I was actually very impressed with it and I am not
>> usually a Ford fan.
>>
Yes I am fortunate in that I can afford and like owning new cars and yes I have speccd all cars since 1988 with sunroofs as they give lightness to the car's interior albeit a rather expensive add-on in this new Golf, at £950!
Very rare do I do test drives as VW in particular sit with you and you go around the houses or on a round trip of less than 4 miles which tells you virtually nothing about the car. As long as I can fit my 6 foot fram comfortably and the steering reach is right then that's good enough for me.
All I want over and above the SE spec on the Golf is retractable door mirrors (I drive a lot in country lanes) and front and rear parking sensors) - some cars, even the Audi A3 only offer rear sensors! Other than that and being a new car, I am easy to please if the car had a quality appeal, is not too large and is economical. Oh, the interior appeal is the most important aspect as well. So many cars' interiors look disastrous IMHO.
>>At 75 this new Golf7 could conceivably be the last car I might buy with the way driving on our roads is going with regard to road surface quality

Have you looked at cars with drive select / damper control, where the ride quality can be adjusted to your own preferences?
>> >>At 75 this new Golf7 could conceivably be the last car I might buy with
>> the way driving on our roads is going with regard to road surface quality
>>
>> Have you looked at cars with drive select / damper control, where the ride quality
>> can be adjusted to your own preferences?
>>

You can get that on the Golf but guess what it adds even more to the price. To my mind the ubiquity of absurdly even lower profile tyres on 17 or 18" wheels only exacerbates our worsening road condition.
There was one make of car I was configuring, yesterday that allowed you to choose quite small wheels with nice 'fat' tyres. Maybe it was Mazda or Kia - cannot remember now.
>>You can get that on the Golf but guess what it adds even more to the price.

If you were looking for something bigger, a Passat or CR-V might suit comfort-wise.
 Volkswagen - Ridiculous VW delivery times - again. - Jacks
Not my experience (Ridiculous VW Delivery times)

I have just taken delivery of a new Mk7 Golf 1.6 TDi SE in Met.Black

I ordered it on 7th Jan from a local(ish) dealer here in Gloucestershire, and it arrived at the dealer about a week before I collected it on Good Friday (March 29th) - so about 12 weeks.

The dealer emailed me almost every week with progress (ie Car build week, it's at the dock, it's arrived in the UK etc etc)

First impressions ?
Very good, very smooth and refined drive, very comfortable, doing 53mpg (mix of mway & urban)
Lots of std. driver aids - if you like that, mine's a std. SE and has:

Auto Hold
Electronic handbrake
Speed limiter
Adaptive Cruise (you adjust it to the distance you want to be from the vehicle in front - by toggling a graphic display IN FRONT of the driver and it accelerates and brakes automatically
to maintain the set distance , even if you change lanes to overtale on thr mway)
Emergency braking
Lane control
Auto wipers and lights
Stop/start
Adjustable car settings (Eco -Sport - Normal- Custom)
Bluetooth
IPOD connection thingy
& more things I've yet to discover no doubt.

The 5 speed manual version of the 1.6 diesel will be a little breathless to some, as with a lot of diesels the power is in a narrow band and you need to utilise the box properly to keep things ticking along.....I've adjusted within a day of 2 though and it's loosening up nicely.

Overall I'm please - I though I might miss the 2.0 Volvo S40........but I don't !

Jacks
Last edited by: Jacks on Sat 13 Apr 13 at 12:13
>> Not my experience (Ridiculous VW Delivery times)
>>
>> I have just taken delivery of a new Mk7 Golf 1.6 TDi SE in Met.Black
>>

I think your luck reflects that you ordered early and is the experience of a lot of others who ordered around the time you did. Today, it is apparently quite different but I would not buy a new car usually so early in its state of manufacture.
 Volkswagen - Ridiculous VW delivery times - again. - mikeyb
Jacks - isnt that the standard spec with no options?
>> Jacks - isnt that the standard spec with no options?
>>

Yes, I was just listing what the standard SE spec gives you (my only option taken was metallic paint)

sorry if my OP was unclear
Last edited by: Jacks on Sun 14 Apr 13 at 08:51
>> Not my experience (Ridiculous VW Delivery times)
>>
>> I have just taken delivery of a new Mk7 Golf 1.6 TDi SE in Met.Black
>>
>>
>> Auto Hold......etc etc Lane control
>> Jacks
>>

From what I know from the configurator for a petrol SE, Lane Control as you call it or rather Lane Assist is an optional extra?

>>
>> From what I know from the configurator for a petrol SE, Lane Control as you
>> call it or rather Lane Assist is an optional extra?
>>
Re; Lane Control/Assist

I think you know what I meant though.

As I said I'm still getting used to the car - but the other day I pulled rather quickly from lane 2 into lane 3 of the motorway (some in lane 1 did the usual indicate and move out simultaneously- without checking mirrors - right in front of me ) and the Golf beeped and a graphic flashed up that looked something like the UK warning sign for Slippery Road Ahead.
The ACC was switched on at the time.

Not had it since, perhaps it's something else?.....when I get a few minutes I try to RTFM but I'm only about halfway through it - not the most riveting book I've read but necessary I suppose.

>>>> >> From what I know from the configurator for a petrol SE, Lane Control as
>> you call it or rather Lane Assist is an optional extra?
>> >>
>> Re; Lane Control/Assist
>> I think you know what I meant though.
>> As I said I'm still getting used to the car - but the other day
>> I pulled rather quickly from lane 2 into lane 3 of the motorway (some in
>> Not had it since, perhaps it's something else?.....when I get a few minutes I try
>> to RTFM but I'm only about halfway through it - not the most riveting book
>> I've read but necessary I suppose.
>>
Perhaps it was the City emergency braking, if you were doing less than 20 mph or the radar detection system reacted accordingly because of the closing speed. I think that itcan be switched off even though VW don't recommend it.
 Volkswagen - Ridiculous VW delivery times - again. - PeterS
We were in Italy over Easter and, despite booking a Panda or equivalent, we had a brand new (17kms on the clock) Golf from Avis. Italian roads seemed to be at least as bad as ours, but the 'comfort' trim level Golf, which was on 16" wheels and 55 profile tyres IIRC, rode very well I thought.

All in all I thought it was a very competent car, though it was a bit wide for the streets of Florence IMO :-). And 'ours' had folding mirrors!! No parking sensors at all, but cruise (not of the adaptive variety) and climate control were fitted. 600kms used 32 litres of diesel, which is roughly 55mpg isn't it? I think it was a 1.6 TDI, and was more than adequate for keeping up with Italian driving. I think Rattle would have had a breakdown over (a) the state of quite new Pandas and (b) the speed at which they are driven ;-)

All in all a very good car; I can see the appeal and would be very happy with one myself. But have you seen the price of them!

Peter
>> I currently have a Golf MK6, as readers might know and am now interested in
>> the Golf MK7 later in the year.
>> My current car was ordered in Feb 2009 and a 10/12 week delivery eventually ended
>> up as a 5 month wait.
>> I have contacted two VW dealers in my area and beyond and have been told
>> that I can expect a five month wait again for all factory orders, ...........

What trim level, engine, and extras etc do you want?
>> >> I currently have a Golf MK6, as readers might know and am now interested
>> What trim level, engine, and extras etc do you want?
>>

The same as my current Golf MK6 i.e 1.4TSI SE 5-dr hatchback, with metallic Reflex Siver paint, Panoramic sunroof, Mirror Pack and Parking Sensors F+R. I have configured this several times and the total is ca £21,500 and if I decide to swallow the long wait will perhaps order so that I get it in time for the first 2014 new registration plates.
No fancy leather (hate leather seats) and standard alloys and Titan black (Charcoal) trim.

>> The same as my current Golf MK6 i.e 1.4TSI SE 5-dr hatchback, with metallic Reflex
>> Siver paint, Panoramic sunroof, Mirror Pack and Parking Sensors F+R. I have configured this several
>> times and the total is ca £21,500

I still can't quite believe that a couple of years ago we were able to buy the special edition "Twist" Mk6 with the old (non-TSi) 1.4 petrol engine, 5dr metallic, for £13K. And it was available from stock! :) (I think VW dumped loads of them on dealers to get rid of the old engines).

I looked longingly at the 1.4TSi Match but it was about £6K more which just seemed insane. And reading the horror stories about the TSi engines (excess oil consumption and turbo failures) I'm glad we avoided that.
Latest Forum Posts