Motoring Discussion > KIA Cee'd - Kia Ceed - Potential Warranty Issues ? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Fullchat Replies: 15

KIA Cee'd - Kia Ceed - Potential Warranty Issues ? - Fullchat
The Ceed is just coming up to 4 years old with 27K on the clock. Couple of weeks ago had to take her to the dealers for a steering knock under warranty. Turned out apparently to be a loose bolt somewhere and they conducted a factory recall on a brace of tank support straps.
As I was collecting the car the service receptionist informed me that they had conducted a 'health check' and found issues with the brakes which were showing signs of excessive wear and perhaps some sort of sticking. Me being the suspicious character I am though "Oh yeah?". Anyway it is due it's 4 year service and MOT next Friday so that would give me some time to appraise the situation and it is overdue a couple of rear tyres. Tyre choice was discussed on a previous thread and I thought I would try some Barums rather than the expensive Mitchelin Primacys. The're on Monday through MyTyres.
Anyway, to continue. Yesterday I got down and dirty and jacked up the front, wheels off and brakes dismantled. Indeed the fronts were cream crackered particuarly on the inside of the discs. What was apparent was that the bottom pin of the sliding caliper on both sides was seized, the top pins were fine. So I thought I would bite the bullet and crack on. Down to Eurocarparts and a new pair of OEM equivalent Paget front discs, front, back pads and £185 lighter :( (This sort of gear does seem to have crept up pricewise).
Now I put the seizing issues fairly and squarely at the lack of proper servicing as my experience between Fords and Kia indicates that the wheels don't even come off for the first 3 years. Had they done so a litle routine cleaning and greasing would have prevented the issue.
So all the calipers cleaned, pad sliding grooves all filed out to remove rusty crud and everything back together. On to the backs. These were in better condition but the discs had suffered corrosion on areas of the contact surface where the pads do not touch and scabbing around the outer edge. I cleaned these up with a flap wheel and they will do for now but the OCD in me says they should be replaced
Took the opportunity to scrub the inside of the alloys to give the tyre fitter somewhere clean to stick the balance weights.
Now as you know Kia give a 7 year warranty with a number of conditions such as full service record and only OEM parts fitted by authorised workshops etc blah blah. The warranty is limited as time progresses and brakes are seen as 'consumables' and not covered anyway.
Now I am wondering what will occur when its serviced. Will the mechanic just crack on complete the service and admire the quality of my work or will he/she go telling tales to the service manager that the customer has fitted their own non OEM gear and then rip up the remainder of my warranty.
My argument, if I have one, is that the mechanic will of course be servicing the brakes (not that they need to do so now) to Kia's strict service schedule and will therefore validate the quality of workmanship.
Anyway we shall see. Watch this space. I've certainly saved some money compared to what they would have charged to do the same job and probably not to my standard. And they are getting a suitable wedge for the service.
Last edited by: Fullchat on Sat 27 Apr 13 at 22:52
 KIA Cee'd - Kia Ceed - Potential Warranty Issues ? - RichardW
They'll probably phone you up and tell you it needs new brakes...

27k and the rear discs are nearly done?? My Xantia is still on its originals at 143k - I changed the original pads at only 130k....!
Good point. Our Focus is about the same age with a tad few more miles. The front discs are still like new. Must be the carp KIA metal. In which case why on earth would I want sub OEM standard parts fitted to my car?
 KIA Cee'd - Kia Ceed - Potential Warranty Issues ? - -
I don't trust a main dealer, or most indy workshops come to that, to service brakes or much else properly its quick as you can and squirt some white grease at the door hinge to make it look the part, peering through the wheel and squirting aerosol brake cleaner in the general direction of the caliper is not good enough, its not servicing in my book.

I've seen an increasing number of seized brakes in recent years, despite being serviced by 'expert technicians' not one of them has shown any evidence of real cleaning and lubrication, in some cases incl our recently bought Outlander it was a case of kicking the wheels off wiv me size 11 bovver boots.

Beginning to realise why i was quite so popular in my kerbside cowboy days, maybe should have pursued it and established a proper permanent workshop, who knows...why is it now so hard to find anyone, and this applies in all walks of life, who takes a pride in their work?

I had a similar brake dilemma over the family Aygo, dealer mentioned at last service that it would need pads and discs next service which is due soon, they looked reasonable to me for another year but for the cost of them i wasn't going to worry...£55 pads and discs i paid.

That has another 2 years of warranty, so i bought genuine pads (actually Jurid but Toyota/Citroen stamped) and Pagid discs, my thoughts being the pads are easily read, the fact the discs are better than OE as they are painted whereas OE non friction areas are rusty within days from new is the only giveaway, whether a main dealer tech would spot that i don't know, they will spot the brake greased parts and coppaslipped wheel spigot probably for its rarity value if they can be bothered to remove the wheels.

I would expect that any future brake problems you have they will have a valid get out due to non gen parts if they realise, however seeing as they can't be bothered to service your car correctly i would have done the same as you ( i had cheap source of gen pads)...its my opinion that other parts of the car should be unaffected by your choice of brake parts.

Colleague has just had his 10 plate Insignia VXR brake pads replaced by an unimpressed ex mechanic who works with us, huge front Brembos seizing, again through lack of proper care and attention...car fully main dealer serviced (whatever that means these days) on the dot.

Last edited by: gordonbennet on Sat 27 Apr 13 at 23:56
 KIA Cee'd - Kia Ceed - Potential Warranty Issues ? - ....
>> I don't trust a main dealer
>>
Me too...
>> Beginning to realise why i was quite so popular in my kerbside cowboy days, maybe
>> should have pursued it and established a proper permanent workshop, who knows...why is it now
>> so hard to find anyone, and this applies in all walks of life, who takes
>> a pride in their work?
>>
General standards these days, some people think turning up = I should be paid...

>> That has another 2 years of warranty, so i bought genuine pads (actually Jurid but
>> Toyota/Citroen stamped) and Pagid discs, my thoughts being the pads are easily read, the fact
>> the discs are better than OE as they are painted whereas OE non friction areas
>> are rusty within days from new is the only giveaway, whether a main dealer tech
>> would spot that i don't know, they will spot the brake greased parts and coppaslipped
>> wheel spigot probably for its rarity value if they can be bothered to remove the
>> wheels.
>>

You would not believe the state of the "genuine" Volvo parts on my car after less than 5 months, they look worse than the parts they replaced and certainly worse than the 5 year old parts on the front axle of a 1,5 tonne FWD saloon. Rusted and heat damaged as a result of the non-repair of the original problem. Bunch of cowboys is how I would best describe them. No need to worry, I have the paperwork to back up the shoddy workmanship of the Volvo main dealer as they are the only ones who have EVER touched those brakes....

>> Colleague has just had his 10 plate Insignia VXR brake pads replaced by an unimpressed
>> ex mechanic who works with us, huge front Brembos seizing, again through lack of proper
>> care and attention...car fully main dealer serviced (whatever that means these days) on the dot.
>>
I had a FIAT Coupe which had huge Brembo four pot calipers at the time of which the pads were supposed to switched inners to outers every service. Never happened until one day when I came off the M1 at J35, hit the brakes and heard Metal on disc, two days after the car had just been serviced. Straight to the dealer and a suitably embarrassed technician was paraded out and made to pay for new calipers, discs and pads out of his own pocket. Maybe unfair due to time constraints forced on him, but a MAJOR fail of the main dealer.
 KIA Cee'd - Kia Ceed - Potential Warranty Issues ? - Armel Coussine
Everyone or nearly everyone neglects brakes. And they can neglect them even more now they are all self-adjusting discs. They are dirty, toxic and bruise your fingers. Least said soonest mended.... still working, forgeddit... never mind that tremor when you hit them at speed, that noise even...

I've been lucky in indy garages. But a year or so back one of the jaalopy's front calipers seized on and caused a lot of hoohah and a bit of expense.

All cars had drums when I was young. They were much less self-adjusting and much more subject to misbehaving slightly as a result of minor wear. They were harder to work on too. So they were neglected even more than brakes are neglected now. Amazing we all survived, those of us who did.
>> Amazing we all survived, those of us who did.
>>
At much lower speeds and traffic volumes. Similar argument could be levelled at the those who can't change a wheel must be an idiot brigade forgetting in the 12th century wheels on a Ford Anglia were 135x12 or whatever weighing half a shilling not 245/35x19's weighing in at 15-20kgs. :-)
>> At much lower speeds

Not always actually, not by any means. Ordinary A-road speeds haven't increased much, in fact the average probably hasn't changed. But people could go at any speed before the 70 limit. There was less traffic but there were hardly any motorways.

Still gmac, please yourself. We did survive so perhaps we were just mimsing.
 KIA Cee'd - Kia Ceed - Potential Warranty Issues ? - Bill Payer

>> All cars had drums when I was young. They were much less self-adjusting and much
>> more subject to misbehaving slightly as a result of minor wear. They were harder to
>> work on too. So they were neglected even more than brakes are neglected now. Amazing
>> we all survived, those of us who did.
>>

I though the days of, wheels off, strip and clean brakes where long gone but was quite surprised that the major (2yrs) service schedule on daughter's Mitsubishi Colt calls for the rear drums to be removed and cleaned and the pivot points lubricated, with the handbrake being adjusted on reassembly. Seems they do actually do it, too!

A SEAT dealer charged me £100 for doing that after other daughter's Ibiza failed its MOT, although SEAT UK did subsequently refund.
 KIA Cee'd - Kia Ceed - Potential Warranty Issues ? - -
>> All cars had drums when I was young. They were much less self-adjusting and much
>> more subject to misbehaving slightly as a result of minor wear. They were harder to
>> work on too.

Not so long ago either, my '71 5.7 litre Mustang Boss boasted massive unservoed drum brakes all round, seeing it could reach 100 in the time it took most cars of the day to reach 40 it was somewhat shocking to find them.
In practice they worked very well, it was only when stopping from 3 figures that things got hairy, fade set in and the whole car would be shaking, always stopped though.

I don't think discs are any better than drums, they do cool better, and for the lazy look only attitude to modern servicing are a must for front brakes.
 KIA Cee'd - Kia Ceed - Potential Warranty Issues ? - madf
"I don't think discs are any better than drums, they do cool better, and for the lazy look only attitude to modern servicing are a must for front brakes."

I think disks are superior to drums in every way including and especially servicing.

Even self adjusting drums tended to stick unadjusted so pulling to one side under hard braking was a norm rather than an occasional. As for drums without self adjusters - lethal.. ask any Mini (original) owner.

I had brake fade with drums down steep hills frequently - noisy , very smelly and borwn pants when you cannot under any circumstances slow down - let alone stop - and there is a sharp corner approaching.

Cheap brake shoes - and even Peugeot ones of the 1990s(!) tended to tear linings from the rivets and the linings would rotate in the drums and either give permanent braking or none at all.

Maintenance of disk systems - apart form some with non stainless steel slides ! - is easy peasy and any semi competent mechanic can do it.

Most complaints about disks are due to incompetent (or no) maintenance .

Try changing brake shoes on a complex setup with self adjustment and you need diagrams and instructions how to wind back adjusters and place springs etc. Disk/pads are simple.

Ever tried removing a drum when the wear is such there is a lip in the drum preventing it moving? Horrible.

And with disks, you can have warning sectors in the pads to make audible warnings of low pad levels. (Yes I know drivers ignore them).

If modern drivers who skimp maintenance had to rely on drum brakes, we would see far more accidents and MOT fails..

>> I don't think discs are any better than drums,

You are joking aren't you, - ?
As I've recently learned if it was a Volvo you're warranty would be null and void, but even if you had fitted genuine parts your guarantee on the replacement parts would be worth square root of nothing as the manufacturer would wriggle saying your contract was not with them but with the dealer. Either way you get nothing as they close ranks and hang you out to dry.

Once a car is out of the original full cover, either get shot or switch to a reliable service garage and use other parts as the original parts are worse than useless when the manufacturer will not honour any cover.
Whilst I accept that I would have blown the warranty on the brakes, which in any case has expired and them being a fair wear and tear item, they could pull the warranty for any unconnected issues eg the engine or gearbox giving up the ghost when clearly there is no connection between the two [apart from the driveshafts :)] If I'd put a non OEM oil filter on the engine and it seized up then I could see potential for a get out.
Well that was painless. Not dragged into the Service Managers office and given a finger wagging. Service completed. Check list only referred to 'new discs and pads fitted'.
However the tyres are referred to by make with the tread depth indicated. The Michelins were described as such and my new back Barums described as 'Budget'. Oh I feel so worthless :(
Last edited by: Fullchat on Fri 3 May 13 at 18:03
 KIA Cee'd - Kia Ceed - Potential Warranty Issues ? - Old Navy
>> Service completed. Check list only referred to 'new discs and pads fitted'.
>>

Covering their back in case of future brake problems? I suspect my ABS unit is no longer warranted as I have changed the pads.
Latest Forum Posts