Motoring Discussion > Fifth Gear Returns - Volume 1   [Read only] Miscellaneous
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 94

Fifth Gear Returns - Volume 1 - VxFan

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 2 *****

Tonight, 19:30 on Five.

Only on for ½ hr though, so you'll only have to put up with VBH's annoying screech for half as long.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 15 Oct 11 at 00:32

Fifth Gear Returns - Bellboy
thanks for the heads up
i will make sure tv turned well off

Fifth Gear Returns - VxFan
BB, not a fan of VBH either then?

Fifth Gear Returns - R.P.
I am a fan - a genuine, intelligent, petrol head with a proper driving pedigree - not many of them to the kilo/pound.

Fifth Gear Returns - Old Navy
Self flattery won't wash with us. :-)

I read that back after and it does seem like that, but not meant so....

Fifth Gear Returns - Old Navy
>> Tonight, 19:30 on Five.
>>
Followed by Britains Greatest Machines - Routemaster bus, and Land Rover. (In STV area).

Fifth Gear Returns - Netsur
What is the pedigree of VBH? Yes she is attractive and seems to know her way around a car and a track, but then even Jezza has managed that (not the attractive bit - I grant you).

Fifth Gear Returns - henry k
>>What is the pedigree of VBH?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vicki_Butler-Henderson

www.gomotorsport.net/en-GB/ambassadors/keyfigures/VickiButlerHenderson.html

www.butler-henderson.com/

If you want to see more of her
www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwutKo1KOLY

loads of info
www.vb-h.net/

>> Yes she is attractive

www.specsavers.co.uk

Fifth Gear Returns - Notdoctorchris
I consider VBH amongst what I refer to as "rent-a-gobs", along with Raj Persaud, now sadly shamed from our screens, and Prof. Robert Winston.

Fifth Gear Returns - Herr Sandwichmann
Robert Winston? Different league.

Fifth Gear Returns - kensitas
...and what tripe it was. It looked like promo video for Ferrari, then a ludicrous & irrelevant 'test' of 'hyper hatches'.... which consists of hyper-VBH & hyper-TF careering around a track, after standing a bit too close, a bit too long, to the 4-star nozzle - judging by their commentary & demeanour.

And what was that piece by Jonny-what's-his-name about?

Fifth Gear Returns - RattleandSmoke
Didn't watch 5th gear but did watch Britians Greatest Machines. Seen them all and it is a wonderful series.

Fifth Gear Returns - Redviper
did watch Britians Greatest Machines. Seen them all and it
>> is a wonderful series.

Agreed, its been a brilliant series, even SWMBO is enjoying it and actually taking a interest in it.

Fifth Gear Returns - Cpt. Flack
Just viewed the first programme on tinternet. Not as good as the sections in old series. Apart from the mini bit, mostly supercars. Same again next week. Should be renamed Top Gear if this is the way its going to continue.
If this is all they will be doing, road testing super cars, then I'll be giving it a miss. I used to praise this programme for being a motoring programme not a twin of TG. I have to say, it shouldn't have been resurrected.
Unless it starts to be a motoring programme, about issues that appeal or concern the general populus, I'll pass.

Fifth Gear Returns - Westpig
Major plus that the great big hairy bloke and his sidekick weren't in it...if they'd got rid of VBH as well then that would be the presenters sorted out.

..as for the content, I have to agree with the above.

Fifth Gear Returns - Stuu
I only ever watched one episode where there was some silly test on how loud the stereo was.
I couldnt think of anything worse, it was so bad I have never dared waste my time on it again.
It was like TG but with a pub singers budget. Glad to hear I made the right decision.

Fifth Gear Returns - -
Agreed Stu, the track testing one episode of various cars incl the original Kia Rio and Suzuki WagonR took mind boggling to an extreme, likely buyers of such vehicles really need to know just how many G's are needed to strip the tyres off the rims.

Couldn't face such cringing crassness again..
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Sun 6 Jun 10 at 08:03

Fifth Gear Returns - Shiny
I have just watched it on 5 on demand, what a load of crap.
I especially hate their tests, as they are so unscientific.
The safety test of the MINI was an epic fail, they obviously wanted it to disintegrate and it didn't, so then they said it was too stiff with no crumple zones, but this was untrue, the problem was the lexus was on loose shale and was pushed out of the way, which also slowed the MINI down nice and progressively.

Fifth Gear Returns - teabelly
They should ditch fifth gear and bring back Driven. That was a hoot. Good car tests, meaningful articles and good rapport between the presenters.

I normally like most car programmes but 5th gear is so poor even I fast forward through a lot of it.

Fifth Gear Returns - madf
VBH on Fifth Gear is one of the many TV progarms that make Postman Pat look and sound intelektual...

(I think that's how you spel innteelectyouall but the spell chekker does not agree)

>> They should ditch fifth gear and bring back Driven.

From what I recall Driven went downhill as well toward the end. Car Sumo being one of the silly things that was shown just prior to the plug being pulled - thankfully.

Fifth Gear Returns - corax
Bring back Count Dracula (aka Quentin Wilson). I used to enjoy his guides to buying a good used cars, and some really interesting stuff (to me anyway), like Mercedes 190E, Corrado and classics like the Gordon Keeble. Some really leftfield cars like the Land Rover Stage 1 V8 he picked up to carry building materials to his old house renovation but it made good viewing.

Fifth Gear Returns - bathtub tom
We'd all love to see the footage of him smashing up the (McLaren was it?) supercar.

Fifth Gear Returns - Shiny
The original Deals on Wheels was good (with the two original presenters).
I didn't like Driven. It was called Drivel in this house!

Enjoyed it last night - good speed test, nice test on the RR Silver Ghost and a sensible test on the Skoda Superb estate - may ditch the Honda for one.

Fifth Gear Returns - Runfer D'Hills
Thinking of changing your handle to "Lovejoy" PU ?

Good one last night - a proper challenge, Ross Noble and Charlie Boorman and bikes !

Boorman made that Adventure look like a titchy 125 !
Last edited by: Pugugly on Sat 3 Jul 10 at 10:41

The Stig - from Top Gear to 5th Gear - VxFan
Some say The Stig will drive ... For five!

www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/8036036/The-Stig-set-to-join-Fifth-Gear.html

Fifth Gear returns to Channel Five next Friday at 7.30pm when Collins is expected to be unveiled.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 1 Oct 10 at 10:14

The Stig - from Top Gear to 5th Gear - Iffy
...Fifth Gear returns to Channel Five next Friday at 7.30pm...

Let's hope it's found its way again - there's a decent motoring programme in there somewhere.
 The Stig - from Top Gear to 5th Gear - R.P.
You sum it up well iffy - the bloke with the goatee is off-beat enough to be good and Plato is a passionate petrol-head with proper driving skill. Shame it doesn't quite gel.

The Stig - from Top Gear to 5th Gear - Runfer D'Hills
Seem to remember that today is new car day PU ? C'mon then spill......

Yeah got it - just ploughing through the manuals - so far so good - brakes are fine. Update in the original thread shortly.

...so far so good...

Pleased to hear it, very disappointing if you get two miles down the road and find something doesn't work.
Done about a 100 miles so-far and I need to use it tonight. Not had much of a chance to play with the bits - it has got the lighty door handle thingies which is all I craved really.

Be interested to hear how you get on tomorrow maybe ? I'll drop it in quietly here so it doesn't get too noticed but I'm sniffing round the new X3 for my next one..

:-)

The X3 appealed to me as well - but a pensioner etc..

...thinking about an X3...

Bit of a yummy mummy mobile.
Probably, or indeed a bit of a hairdressers car. Come to think of it, how is the CC3 ?

:-)

...or indeed a bit of a hairdressers car. Come to think of it, how is the CC3 ?...

It has been rained on big style today, so it's in need of a wash and blow dry.
Careful now, I've just had a vision of it doing that thing which happens when a gust of wind gets under the front or side of a wig. Like a wheely bin lid flapping...

...I've just had a vision...

You sound cheerful this evening, Humph, talk of new cars and so on.

Good week at work?

I hope so, anyone who is prepared to put the graft in, which I think you are, deserves a bit of payback now and again.
Oh you know a couple of things went right, a couple didn't of course. By and large it seems there is a glimmer of light at the end of the economic tunnel. Still a way to go though for everyone I think. Mustn't count any chickens yet I fear.

The Stig - from Top Gear to 5th Gear - Zero
Ok what moronic sycophant is giving iffy a green tick for every post he makes today?
Wasn't going to put it quite so strongly Z but I did wonder if someone was on some kind of mission. Bit of a silly abuse of the system unless there is to be a very clever punchline in due course. Not that Iffy is undeserving of praise for some of his posts of course ! Does seem a strange thing to do. Perhaps it's the weekend after dark effect again. aka booze driven nonsense.
Last edited by: Humph D'bout on Fri 1 Oct 10 at 19:40

>> thing to do. Perhaps it's the weekend after dark effect again. aka booze driven nonsense.

Drunken japes are acceptable and to be admired on here.
...Ok what moronic sycophant is giving iffy a green tick...

Zero,

Green is a very appropriate colour, given the tone of your post.

And while a moron can be anonymous, an anonymous sycophant would seem to be a, er, oxymoron.
Ok, what oxymoronic sycophant is heavy with the praise button.

Just seen a trailer for Friday's edition - Stig is er...naked on it.

The Stig - from Top Gear to 5th Gear - bathtub tom
Has he got a beard? Pat'll be interested. ;>)

Be on soon. Kettle's boiled.

19.30 start - well remembered, Humph.

I'm enjoying a bit of music and a glass of something having not long landed at the caravan, so I've fired up the PVR for later.

I see the Stobart programme is on afterwards.

Can't get excited about that, must be the poor reviews I read on here.

Well, for me the programme was ok, just. Glad it was only on for a half hour though. Same old thing really. As for the Bentley in Ireland bit well, there are some lanes not too far from Crewe where they could just as easily have filmed that set piece.

Might not rush home to see next week's. If it's on when I've nothing pressing I'll watch it probably but otherwise a bit disappointing I'd say.
Last edited by: Humph D'bout on Fri 8 Oct 10 at 20:15

Forgot it was on. Can't find when it's repeated either.

Still, there's always Ch5's iplayer (or whatever its called) I suppose.

The Stig - from Top Gear to 5th Gear - Oldgit
Strangely, at times, I feel that 5th gear is too short as Top is far too long and formulaic.

The Stig - from Top Gear to 5th Gear - corax
When is fifth gear repeated? I have to see that Zonda race car again. Fan-bleedin-tastic!

>> When is fifth gear repeated?

I don't think it is - apart from on Dave or one of the Discovery channels ina few months time.

I had to watch the episode I missed the other day on demand.five.tv

Here's Friday's episode.

demand.five.tv/Episode.aspx?episodeBaseName=C5151370013

The Stig - from Top Gear to 5th Gear - corax
Thanks Vx Fan, I found that myself earlier today. Hopefully Top Gear will get their hands on that special Zonda. I thought the coverage was a bit short on Fifth Gear.

Nissan Leaf on Fifth Gear. - Dog
Looks like a winner to me ~ tinyurl.com/2c4jp7u

Nissan Leaf on Fifth Gear. - Zero
Of course its not a winner.

its has a usable range of 73 miles and it takes 20 hours to recharge,

It is, in short, useless.
 Nissan Leaf on Fifth Gear. - R.P.
Pointless in the leafless sticks around here -

Mind it does kind of galvanise one thing.

It wont be long before new houses will have to be built with an external 30 amp socket for car charging, probably a SAE J1772 type connector

It also means that if you live in a terrace house, with your car parked outside on the road (not common in the UK that, is it!) you are stuffed, No electric car for you.

Why don't people consider this stuff when they design "new green technology" or worse, like 5th gear, when they spout "this is the future"

Not for 80% of the UK population its not - Get real.

Nissan Leaf on Fifth Gear. - Stuu
What they need are battery packs that you can easily remove and plug a new one in, so that you can have say three of them, one on charge, one in reserve and one running the car.
When the manage that, they solve the issue with eelctric cars. In principle, I like them, in practice, no thanks.

>>its has a usable range of 73 miles and it takes 20 hours to recharge,<<

I think you'll find the usable range is up-to 100 miles and it takes 8 hours to charge the critter.

It also has a quick-charge facility.

I can see the Leaf being purchased as a 2nd car for which it would be ideal IMO.

Nissan Leaf on Fifth Gear. - diddy1234
That is why the Vauxhall Ampera / Volt will work very well.

With this car the Owner can plug the car in to charge or drive 30 odd miles on electric only then start up the engine and carry on for another 300 miles odd.

Engine charges the battery up and does not directly drive the car.
The way a proper generator should work.

Nissan Leaf on Fifth Gear. - Iffy
Doesn't the £24,000 price kill it stone dead?

And that's with a £5,000 government bribe.

It competes with a Golf, Astra or Focus, yet it's £10,000 more.

From the figures quoted, it will cost about £250 to do 12,000 miles in it, as opposed to around £1,300 for a diesel.

The annual fuel cost saving of £1,000 is piffling against the purchase price.

>>Doesn't the £24,000 price kill it stone dead?<<

I actually thought that figure was *before* the guv's £5000 is knocked orf!

So yes, it does reduce the appeal somewhat, alas.

Nissan Leaf on Fifth Gear. - rtj70
The figure is indeed after the £5000 from the government. These currently are not practical purchases - you will not save money. And at some point it will need new batteries too!

Nissan Leaf on Fifth Gear. - rtj70
>> Engine charges the battery up and does not directly drive the car.

I think you'll find they had to change the design because the car had problems at motorway speeds. The petrol engine can (and sometimes does) help drive the wheels directly.

...These currently are not practical purchases...

Certainly not for me, I couldn't really afford one, even if I liked the idea.

I reckon most new hatchback buyers will be the same, £15K is just about a doable, but no way is £24K.

So that leaves trophy buyers who want to be seen in one.

Looks a decent enough car, but I can't see many actresses wanting to turn up for the premiere of their latest film in a Nissan Leaf.

There's a special edition if you want to hide your embarrassment for owning one, it's the Nissan Fig Leaf.

Nissan Leaf on Fifth Gear. - Bellboy
will that spec one be called a nissan laurel leaf?
cedric

The first person to nick one will be a tea leaf.

>>The first person to nick one will be a tea leaf.<<

I wish I'd said that.

(You will Oscar etc.,)

>> >>its has a usable range of 73 miles and it takes 20 hours to recharge,<<
>>
>> I think you'll find the usable range is up-to 100 miles and it takes 8
>> hours to charge the critter.

That's the Claimed range, it has been tested at 73 miles

It takes 8 hours to charge IF you install a dedicated 30 amp circuit on your outside wall

>> It also has a quick-charge facility.

Which costs 16k dollars and kills the batteries in 5 years, and battery warrant is not valid if you quick charge.,

>>
>> I can see the Leaf being purchased as a 2nd car for which it would
>> be ideal IMO.
It will be purchased by no one and is ideal for rock all.
>>
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 27 Nov 10 at 14:32

>>It will be purchased by no one and is ideal for rock all<<

They probably said the same about the Duryea brothers gasoline car in 1893.

I doubt that Nissan have produced the Leaf just for the fun of it,
so it will be interesting to see just how many Leaves find a home.

Nissan Leaf on Fifth Gear. - nyx2k
i seem to remember an article that said they build these low emmision vechicles to offset the carbon output of their larger cars.

isnt the argument also that a cat converter ruins the quest for very high mpg and if the cat was to vanish then ultra lean burn engines vould eisily do 100mpg

>> I doubt that Nissan have produced the Leaf just for the fun of it,
>> so it will be interesting to see just how many Leaves find a home.

they made the last primera just for fun, no-one bought that either,

Nissan Leaf on Fifth Gear. - hobby
£15k for a second (short range) car? Still far too expensive... Sub £8k and you're talking sense...

>>£15k for a second (short range) car? Still far too expensive... Sub £8k and you're talking sense<<

There ya go friend ~

cgi.ebay.co.uk/MORRISON-CROMPTON-ELECTRIC-MILK-FLOAT-1974-/290505055340?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item43a3735c6c

Nissan Leaf on Fifth Gear. - movilogo
If this is available under £2000 used, fitted with winter tyres, I might consider buying one as 2nd car during Nov-Apr :o)

Not as daft as it sounds movilogo and no Tax or mot but - the 0-60 figure is none too special.

You' get sick of the rattling crates and bottles though !

Safer to travel in than that dreadful French thing.

- - - > www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPDHX-aI8mw :)

Fifth Gear Returns - Focusless
Back again - Friday 7:30 Channel 5. Still got Vicky, Jason, Tiff and someone else.
fwd.channel5.com/fifth-gear/

Fifth Gear Returns - henry k
>> Still got Vicky, Jason, Tiff and someone else.
>>
Jonny someone else has a "an Austin Allegro street sleeper that’s got a 2.7 V6 under the hideous Antique Gold coloured bonnet." and an interesting collection of other vehicles

More details here fwd.channel5.com/profiles/Johnny_Smith

Fifth Gear Returns - Fenlander
>>>Jonny has owned over 60 vehicles and once sold a ‘50s bubble car to Michael Barrymore

Oh dear!

Fifth Gear Returns - swiss tony
Picture of the Allegro in build here;
www.carpervert.com/blog/?p=41

Fifth Gear Returns - Alanovich
Maybe one day I'll do something similar with my Volvo 360. Perhaps a T5 engine......

Fifth Gear Returns - Focusless
>> Picture of the Allegro in build here;
>> www.carpervert.com/blog/?p=41

"Naturally I’m rock hard with excitement..."
Over an Allegro? Ok I guess you'd expect the presenter of a motoring programme to be an enthusiast, but isn't that taking things a bit far? :)

Fifth Gear Returns - swiss tony
And more on it! (thanks Google!)

www.pistonheads.com/doc.asp?c=52&i=17184

Fifth gear - corax
Fifth gear really good tonight. I love the new Ferrari, 30kg extra for the whole four wheel drive set up is amazing. Funny report on the Nissan Micra, although they were saying the new one wasn't as good as the previous one. I liked neither, the box shaped one was the best, in terms of reliability anyway.

And the drag racing in Abu Dhabi. I know exactly how Jason Plato feels after watching those runs in the top fuel cars. It is mind boggling, more like a cartoon, but it's really happening. It's good to stand behind the cars and watch them go down the track, these demented fire breathing monsters with distorted tyres turning into specks within seconds, you find yourself laughing with the sheer lunacy of it. Night time is best. I thought they captured the excitement of it on camera.

Fifth gear - lancara
...but why do they have to shout all the time?

Latest Forum Posts