Non-motoring > Cycling Corner - Volume 17   [Read only]
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 118

Cycling Corner - Volume 17 - VxFan

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 18 *****

More pedal power chat.

PLEASE NOTE:-

To try and maintain some kind of logical order of discussion, if you start a new subject then reply to this post and remember to change the default subject header.

Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 2 Dec 14 at 21:28

Danny MacAskill again - BobbyG
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-30125442

I usually sit in awe at his videos but this one doesn't seem to do it for me, in an almost, "I could do that " sort of way?

Do you think this is much harder than it looks?

Danny MacAskill again - Runfer D'Hills
Hmmm, still pretty impressive mind. I know what you mean though Bobby, in that the stunt is or seems more about having the guts to do it than the actual apparent difficulty. However, the consequences of getting it wrong would be significant. As in it would at least hurt, a lot. Falling 5 metres upside down with a bike between your legs would almost certainly bring a tear to your eye.

Danny MacAskill again - BobbyG
A tear to your eye and maybe a tear elsewhere!!!

Surely loop the loop is just about the right speed?

Vine and Hyde Park - Bromptonaut
In Vol 16 Zero wrote:

I quote YOUR post

He's subsequently been on Titter making the valid point that preventing cyclists moving faster than walking pace in the park gives the an incentive to mix it with lorries on the road instead.

As far as being a tit about cycling, you my old mate are a complete udder.

You're (deliberately?) posing this as a digital question; ride in the park at any speed or not at all.

Currently there's no posted limit in Hyde Park. If the Royal Parks want to impose one then no doubt they can make appropriate by-laws. Hopefully after some proper consultation about an appropriate limit; say 10mph.

What's been happening in the last few days looks like the traditional UK 'crackdown', no doubt following publicised complaints about odd examples of really silly speeds (or egregious complaints by vocal nutters). Result is coppers wasting their time with speed guns enforcing a 'reasonable' limit dreamed up my their immediate superior.

Vine and Hyde Park - Boxsterboy
I searched in vain for information about cycle speed limits in Hyde Park on their website last night. Whilst there is talk about cyclists, there is no mention of speed limits apart from "speed limits could be as low as 5 mph". Helpful. Not.

The spot where JV was pulled is to the south east corner, where many pedestrians enter the Park, and I think the fact that Winter Wonderland starts today may be why the Police were there. There will be higher numbers of pedestrians coming and going, so the Police probably felt a presence would be helpful.

Still doesn't answer the question as to what is the speed limit.

And this morning on South Carriage Drive, in the statutory cycle lane (i.e. solid white line rather than broken) where there is also double yellow ('No stopping at any time') there was the usual line of parked cars. They seem to be related to the Barracks, and I guess if I was a traffic warden and had a sub-machine gun pointed at em I would look elsewhere for cars to ticket ...

Either have a rule and enforce it, or change it to suit circumstances.
 Vine and Hyde Park - Zero

>> You're (deliberately?) posing this as a digital question; ride in the park at any speed
>> or not at all.

No that was your inference, one of "we should not be restricted in any way, or we will use the roads and get squashed by lorries"

You said it, thats what you meant to say, don't try and wriggle out of it now. Its a natural extension of your militant "free cycling no restrictions or rules or regulations at any cost" mantra.

>> What's been happening in the last few days looks like the traditional UK 'crackdown', no
>> doubt following publicised complaints about odd examples of really silly speeds (or egregious complaints by
>> vocal nutters). Result is coppers wasting their time with speed guns enforcing a 'reasonable' limit
>> dreamed up my their immediate superior.

And of course being a cycling militant it just had to be "a crackdown" "vocal nutters" only "odd examples of silly speeds" and "coppers wasting their time" didn't it.

I wonder why it is, especially in this place, that those with a cause are the very worse type of ambassadors to that cause?
 Vine and Hyde Park - Pat
JV will be debating this any minute on Radio 2 if anyone is interested.

Probably Norton and CG will understand my admiration of the way he handled it without accusing me of preparing my defence mechanism then.

On second thoughts....no, they won't. I'm tagged as 'one with a cause'.

Pat

Vine and Hyde Park - NortonES2
Don't be so hard on yourself Z.

Vine and Hyde Park - Clk Sec
He wasn't.

>> Don't be so hard on yourself Z.

My only cause is bringing enlightenment to those with a cause.

Zero,

Any inference is entirely yours.

Pat claimed the JV was contrite and apologetic and that other cyclists might take same line when challenged.

His Twitter feed meanwhile was making point that if a cycle route that takes people off the road is made unusable, for example by limiting bikes to walking pace, then people will go back on to the, more dangerous, roads.

I agree with him.

And that's all.

Vine and Hyde Park - Manatee
5mph is very slow on a bike - I can understand it if it's really a footpath, or always busy with peds unfamiliar with the park, but if you were cycling for the purpose of getting from A to B rather than just passing the time on, you just wouldn't use a route limited to a little over walking pace.

So the cyclists may not be forced on to the road, or obliged to be squashed by a lorry, but they will be on the road not in the park.

16mph is a bit much in close proximity to peds, but 10 would be a reasonable compromise - ignoring for the moment that most cyclists don't have a speedometer.

Regardless of all that, it's a bit bizarre for a policeman to be out with a radar gun telling a cyclist he is breaking a limit that at worst doesn't exist and at best is not actually posted.
I do agree with the broad point that cycling speeds on shared paths need to be moderate. 10 mph would be sensible near other park users. There is a minority who flash through at considerable pace, near where we live. Broad Walk in Buxton is just that. But no police presence to deter the twits. Wouldn't argue against limiting speed in parks, but as ever there is spasmodic or nil enforcement.

Vine and Hyde Park - Boxsterboy
A polite ring on the bell when approaching pedestrians from behind never does any harm.

>> A polite ring on the bell when approaching pedestrians from behind never does any harm.

Absolutely. A cycle is pretty well silent except for the freewheel and not everybody will hear that. Need to be careful though not to sound as though you expect them to leap out of your way, eye contact and an acknowledgement that you appreciate them moving is a good thing too.

You still get the odd one though who will get a bit crusty.

Vine and Hyde Park - Rudedog
Out of interest how do they manage to enforce a speed limit of a cycle when it has no speedo?

Vine and Hyde Park - Slidingpillar
And a surprising amount of vintage cars as the speedo was not a compulsory fitment until 1934.

Vine and Hyde Park - Duncan
>> You still get the odd one though who will get a bit crusty.
>>

Yes, some cyclists can be like that.

;-)

Vine and Hyde Park - sherlock47
>>I do agree with the broad point that cycling speeds on shared paths need to be moderate.<<

My pet hate is on canal footpaths, where it seems to attract the faster and more agressive cyclists. I am waiting for the day when I have to help a wayward cyclist out of the water. I always make sure that I am not on the waters edge and if they try to get past (passed?) too closely, my understanding is that a small deflection of the handle bars results in a large change of direction.
 Vine and Hyde Park - bathtub tom
IIRC cyclists need a permit for using canal towpaths, the same as anglers.

>> IIRC cyclists need a permit for using canal towpaths, the same as anglers.

Not sure thats the case, certainly don't on my local two canals, The Wey (National Triust) and Basingstoke (Basingstoke Canal Trust)

The Canal and Rivers trust cover most of the other canals in the UK

canalrivertrust.org.uk/see-and-do/cycling

and there is no permit needed there

The Thames path is the worse, it attracts the macho speed merchants, and is always busy with pedestrians.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 23 Nov 14 at 09:29

>> The Canal and Rivers trust cover most of the other canals in the UK
>>
>> canalrivertrust.org.uk/see-and-do/cycling
>>
>> and there is no permit needed there

There used to be a permit scheme run by the British Waterways Board but it was, IIRC, abandoned some years ago as impossible to police.

Never seen much joy in riding the local tow path because of pedestrians and anglers with rods that they have to, reluctantly, move to let a bike pass. We did though have a very good trip round Birmingham along the canals as one of the monthly Origami Rides organised by The Folding Society.

Vine and Hyde Park - Runfer D'Hills
We've a canal behind our house. You are allowed to cycle on the towpath but I don't as it really is too narrow to accommodate pedestrians and cyclists safely. Well, not so much the safety thing really but if you were to cycle on it you'd be forever having to stop and or go so slowly that it wouldn't be enjoyable.

You do see the boaty people on fold up bikes going to the boatyard shop etc. The anglers can be a bit of a pain taking up the width of the path with their kit. Strange way to want to spend your time that it seems to me but I guess it takes all sorts.

I walk the dog along there a lot as do many people. I had the strangest encounter yesterday with a shouty woman from a boat. I was walking along minding my own with my we dog trotting quietly beside me when this harridan leapt off her boat and confronted me with "Do you let your b***** dog s*** on the towpath and not clear it up!???"

Er, no, certainly not said I, would you like me to? Then she proceeded to tell me at noticeably high volume it was the likes of me who were spoiling everything about her life. She just ranted on and on and on, accusing me of lying and that all b***** dog owners were the same etc etc.

Erm, no they're not madam.

"Yes they b***** are, etc etc.."

As with the seemingly widespread hatred of cyclists it strikes me that there are a whole load of people with a mission in life to dislike things and to want to blame anyone who comes into their field of vision whether they have committed any "offence" or not.

Eventually I couldn't help but get the giggles which didn't help.

The world is full of nutters with grudges it seems.

>>
>> Strange way to want to spend your time that it
>> seems to me but I guess it takes all sorts.

I've said same before, why spend hours in he cold watching nothing happen on a canal. It was though pointed out that I'd happily sit or stand in the cold at the fence of an airport where nothing seemed to be happening.

>> The world is full of nutters with grudges it seems.

Indeed!!
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sun 23 Nov 14 at 10:05

Vine and Hyde Park - Robin O'Reliant
>>
>> The world is full of nutters with grudges it seems.
>>
>>
>>
Try taking a photograph in a public place. Every other time a middle aged woman (It's always a middle aged woman) will accuse you of being a paedophile.

Vine and Hyde Park - Runfer D'Hills
Have you got an unfortunate moustache by any chance? Might have a bearing...

;-)

Ask her where she empties her dump-through.....

>> Ask her where she empties her dump-through.....

Any more lip from Runfer and I'll have a pretty good idea....

Telegraph Cycling Quiz - Bromptonaut
www.telegraph.co.uk/men/active/recreational-cycling/11246158/Quiz-do-you-know-your-cycling-rules-of-the-road.html

Got 90%, wrong answer was lighting up time for which correct answer is sunset. I thought later and jumped for no natural light.

Telegraph Cycling Quiz - Boxsterboy
Same here!

Telegraph Cycling Quiz - Runfer D'Hills
And me.

Telegraph Cycling Quiz - Robin O'Reliant
90%.

I got the reflectors one wrong, thinking they must be front and rear at night.

Telegraph Cycling Quiz - Skip
80%

Got the night time and "backie" ones wrong

Telegraph Cycling Quiz - Slidingpillar
Also 90% as I though the idiot white reflector was compulsory. So that's one law I'm not breaking then!

Telegraph Cycling Quiz - CGNorwich
100% here

Cycling Proficiency Certificate 1959
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Mon 24 Nov 14 at 21:36

Telegraph Cycling Quiz - Dutchie
I like to see cycle lanes made compulsory.I've seen to many cyclist taking changes on a busy road not using the lanes.

Telegraph Cycling Quiz - No FM2R
>>I like to see cycle lanes made compulsory.

Not aiming at Dutchie particularly, does the panel not find it surprising that a forum which is by and large against legislation that impact themselves, is so thoroughly in favour of laws which will impact others?

Telegraph Cycling Quiz - Robin O'Reliant
>>
>> Not aiming at Dutchie particularly, does the panel not find it surprising that a forum
>> which is by and large against legislation that impact themselves, is so thoroughly in favour
>> of laws which will impact others?
>>

Not just here, I've seen a thread on a cycling forum where the OP advocated banning horses from roads because they "Were a nuisance and got in the way".

As for cycle paths, 90% of the damn things are about a foot wide along a rubbish strewn gutter, so no thanks.

Telegraph Cycling Quiz - Zero
100%

After reading the answers on here

Cycling Corner - Volume 17 - No FM2R
Sooo, *that's* where Runfer was at the weekend...

www.bbc.com/travel/feature/20141104-a-death-defying-ride-along-scotlands-cuillin-range

Cycling Corner - Volume 17 - rtj70
That link does not work from the UK.

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0291ryz
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 26 Nov 14 at 09:10

Cycling Corner - Volume 17 - Zero
>> That link does not work from the UK.
>>
>> www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0291ryz

Used my proxy service to link to that, and it turns out its this video

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ_IQS3VKjA

Cycling Corner - Volume 17 - No FM2R
Sorry and thanks.

Brompton Top of Pile Again - Bromptonaut
Independent looks at folding bikes.

www.independent.co.uk/extras/indybest/outdoor-activity/10-best-folding-bikes-9880417.html

There’s no two ways about it, Brompton smacks the competition into submission. But the other brands looking out for are Tern and Dahon which offer decent value and strong build quality.

That's pretty much what I'd have expected. Dahon was long the nearest competitor anf Tern is a linked brand following a rancorous split within the Hon family. Intersting to note one of the two full size folders is branded Bickerton. The original small wheel Bickerton was the machine Andrew Ritchie sought to better when designing the Brompton.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Wed 26 Nov 14 at 10:15

A Proper Cycling Faility - Bromptonaut
Someone in the London Brompton Club FB group flagged his:

www.cycling-embassy.org.uk/photos/good-cycling-facility-of-the-week/good-cycling-facility-of-the-week-27th-november-2014

I'd use that!!

Depressing how few others are in the UK
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Thu 27 Nov 14 at 20:28

A Proper Cycling Faility - Harleyman

>> Depressing how few others are in the UK
>>

There's similar along the A40 between St Clears and Whitland. Cyclists, however, seem to prefer the main road.

I happily concede that a lot of designated cycle-ways are not fit for purpose. For those that are, however, use of them should be mandatory for cyclists.
 A Proper Cycling Faility - Robin O'Reliant
The same type of path between Fishguard and my village on the A40. Excellent to ride on, one of the few people I've seen use road instead was a youngish female with a child behind her on a kiddie seat. Unbelievable.

A Proper Cycling Faility - Boxsterboy
The A24 between Leatherhead and Dorking has a good path too (although bits could do with cleaning from time to time) but still a lot of cyclists insist on using the dual carriage-way and dicing with fast cars.

A Proper Cycling Faility - Zero
>> The A24 between Leatherhead and Dorking has a good path too (although bits could do
>> with cleaning from time to time) but still a lot of cyclists insist on using
>> the dual carriage-way and dicing with fast cars.

And then proceed to try and climb zig zag road up box hill, because they saw it on the Olympic games, can't be that hard can it.
It can and the road is now virtually impassible at weekends because of the collapsed and collapsing wannabes in fancy cycling gear.

A Proper Cycling Faility - Ted
A580 East Lancs Road between manchester and Liverpool has a good section for cyclists. I think it's probably a footpath but you don't get peds using this road.

tinyurl.com/o8qsxwg - www.google.com/maps

You really wouldn't want to take a pushbike out on this ' killer ' road !
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 28 Nov 14 at 01:37

A Proper Cycling Faility - Bromptonaut
You need to get the Mods to shorten the link Ted.

I think there are some signs that indicate it's shard use, ped and cyclist, but they're not that clear. TBH road doesn't look too bad at time of day the Google car was there but I'm sure it's mayhem at peak

If the path's not a cycleway and it was a commute then it might be possible to thread a route through the adjacent housing but it'd take a bit of time to get it right. Otherwise there's no obvious alternative.

A Proper Cycling Faility - Ted

The link didn't look very long when I copied it otherwise I'd have tinyurled it.

When the East Lancs is quiet like that, it's a 90 mph racetrack ! When it's nose to tail, it's only 70. I might take the folder up there and have a go..at least it's flat. Some of the lanes off to the left, towards chat Moss look inviting..with no traffic to speak of.

A Proper Cycling Faility - henry k
>>
>> The link didn't look very long when I copied it otherwise I'd have tinyurled it.
>>
It was not long when I viewed this thread earlier.

A Proper Cycling Faility - VxFan
I've now edited the link.

London car-free Sundays - John Boy
Boris is on the case:

tinyurl.com/msd473p

London car-free Sundays - Zero
Its an excellent idea.

You know when you... - Runfer D'Hills
So today, here anyway, it was gorgeous. A trip to the forest with the bikes was a given. However, the main trails were clogged with walkers so we decided to go a bit bush and use the lesser known routes.

The downside was that these are not maintained and occasionally involve some seriously gloopy sections when it has been raining.

No worries of course, we know what we're doing. So we encounter a steep slippy downhill section which eventually comes to the bottom of a river valley ( more of a stream valley in truth ) and I'm in front with son behind. The going at this point is challenging, averagely 6" deep thick glutinous mud and requires a fair push through. Son is struggling and keeps dropping a foot. I however, am powering through.

"Observe child" say I, "Watch and learn from the Master"

So I launch myself down the hill, into the mud, cross the first section without issues, turn to look back smugly, and hit a mud submerged tree stump with the front wheel.

What happened next took only a short while, but it mainly involved me flying over the bars and face planting in deep glutinous stinking mud.

"He" was no help. In fact he nearly wee'd himself.

I may be too old.

You know when you... - Old Navy
>> "He" was no help. In fact he nearly wee'd himself.
>>
>> I may be too old.
>>

I suspect he was thinking something like "Silly old fa.." . :)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 30 Nov 14 at 18:08

And he might have been right. Did I ever mention that the inside of my car is beige? Well, it isn't now...

;-)

You need one of these, you could use it on the car interior this time and in future fill it with hot water for personal hygiene use. :)

www.hozelock.com/spraying/sprayers-for-leisure-use/portashower-7.html

;-)

You know when you... - Zero
>> I may be too old.

May?

Thats the third time you have done that this year, and the boy is beating you for stamina and technique.

Face it old timer.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 30 Nov 14 at 19:51
Fine now, nothing a bit of Deep Heat can't sort out...

;-)

>> Fine now, nothing a bit of Deep Heat can't sort out...
>>
>> ;-)

Sunday driver!

!

;-)

Anyway, stamina maybe, technique, Pah !
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Sun 30 Nov 14 at 20:08

I believe there are easier ways of applying a mud anti ageing face treatment than face planting from a bike. ;)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 30 Nov 14 at 20:13

Had to drive home in my underpants. Not quite the thing in Cheshire you know. They're funny like that here.

Is Hertfordshire near Cheshire?

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2854814/Inside-Britain-s-secretive-naked-village-London-commuter-belt-nudists-stripping-85-years.html

You know when you... - Manatee
Pleased to see they are supping Tring Brewery products.

You know when you... - bathtub tom
>> Had to drive home in my underpants.

I think Zeddo's been there.

You know when you... - Armel Coussine
>> Had to drive home in my underpants.

Difficult to drive were they? Poor substitute for a car in any case.

You know when you... - rtj70
>> Had to drive home in my underpants. Not quite the thing in Cheshire you know. They're funny
>> like that here.

I'm surprised you don't have a change of clothes in the car just in case you get really muddy. Perhaps not this muddy but mountain biking and cream leather aren't compatible IMO.

Some on here are finding it humorous as are you. I'm glad you then didn't strike a submerged tree stump yourself.

We normally do have changes of clothes Rob, just happened to forget yesterday. Or more accurately, my wife failed to remind me to take some...

;-)

You know when you... - Roger.
There was an illuminating piece on the BBC's "Fake Britain" this morning, looking at the vast numbers of counterfeit Brompton and STRiDA folding cycles being imported into the UK.
The quality of the fakes was,, to say the least, dire and potentially dangerous.

I assumed you would :-) Forgetting the clothes though without the reminder - age thing again :-)

I'd stick some old shorts/jogging bottoms and t-shirt in the car and leave them there. Or get hold of one of those paper forensic type suits :-)
Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 1 Dec 14 at 12:42

You know when you... - BobbyG
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-x-DISPOSABLE-PLASTIC-CAR-SEAT-COVERS-VEHICLE-PROTECTORS-MECHANIC-VALET-ROLL-/330894583042?pt=UK_Car_Interior_Accessories&hash=item4d0adaa502

i have these in the car for when I pick up my son from his football

To be honest, based on his record this year I think he needs this

www.tricyclesales.co.uk/Item/Folding_Trikes/Ultimate_Hardware_20_Adults_FoldingTricycle.aspx

What I do need, is a slash...

www.evanscycles.com/products/trek/slash-9-650b-2015-mountain-bike-ec074297

;-)

You know when you... - Haywain
"What I do need,"

Ridiculous - three and a half grand, and it hasn't even got mudguards. I s'pose you have to pay extra for those.

You know when you... - Duncan
>> "What I do need,"
>>
>> Ridiculous - three and a half grand, and it hasn't even got mudguards. I s'pose
>> you have to pay extra for those.
>>

Three and a half grand??

It's four thousand, three hundred quid down here in Surrey!!

And he'd have still gone head over handle bars at the weekend on that. :-)

Last time I did that was on a steep slope (road/tarmac) near my childhood home. Straight over handles bars and skidded on by forehead a bit :-( The mud sounded softer. I was around 11 I suppose.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 1 Dec 14 at 23:43

You know when you... - RichardW
>> Last time I did that was on a steep slope (road/tarmac) near my childhood home.
>> Straight over handles bars and skidded on by forehead a bit :-( The mud sounded
>> softer. I was around 11 I suppose.

Last time I did that I was riding a Penny Farthing....it's a long way down!!

It'll not have pedals either, those will be extra. These sorts of bikes seem expensive but then if you weigh that against what some would spend on a weeks skiing every year and the gear to go with it or membership of a golf club or whatever and then factor in that the bike can then be used free of charge most weekends for maybe 4 years it doesn't sound so bad.

Justify justify...

;-)

You know when you... - Slidingpillar
The reason no expensive bike is sold with pedals is the stupid law that requires bike pedals to have reflectors. There are very few reflectors suitable for modern style cleated pedals and those that do exist are not really of the durability one would expect from a £500 bike, let alone a £4K one.

There is the possibility that this will be dropped when cycle lighting and reflector laws are next revised, but it has not happened yet. As far as I know, no other EU country mandates them.

You know when you... - CGNorwich
"As far as I know, no other EU country mandates them."

Holland does.

www.holland-cycling.com/tips-and-info/safety/traffic-rules-and-regulations-for-cyclists
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Tue 2 Dec 14 at 10:43

And indeed pedals are a very personal thing. Most people who ride semi seriously have strong preferences for the type of pedals they want. Clipped in or not for a basic example.

Most road riders ( I think ) would use clips but MTB riders don't always. I don't because I like to be free to move around on the bike and if required get a foot down to help force a turn. Others differ and say it helps with climbing. Each to their own of course.

You know when you... - Harleyman

>> There is the possibility that this will be dropped when cycle lighting and reflector laws
>> are next revised, but it has not happened yet. As far as I know, no
>> other EU country mandates them.
>>

The fix, to my mind, is quite simple. Put the reflectors on the heels of those silly shoes which make "serious" cyclists look like constipated grannies when they walk round in them.
 You know when you... - Bromptonaut
>> The fix, to my mind, is quite simple. Put the reflectors on the heels of
>> those silly shoes which make "serious" cyclists look like constipated grannies when they walk round
>> in them.

Same problem as the pedals. Unless the shoes are made with a reflector, or provision for a 'standard' one to be fitted how do you attach it?

Having said that some brands, including my own 'Crane' (ie Aldi) cleated shoes, have a retro reflective disc or strip on the heel already. Like most designed for use off the bike these have retracted cleats that avoid the silly walk or any damage to floors.

The mandated reflectors do at least have the advantage of providing a flashing effect which makes the unlit morons slightly visible.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Tue 2 Dec 14 at 12:43

Lots of sports and activities involve the use of specialist shoes or boots. Most of which would make the wearer look a bit silly if worn out of context. But let's not let that get in the way of yet another cheap dig at cyclists.

;-)
 You know when you... - Harleyman
But
>> let's not let that get in the way of yet another cheap dig at cyclists.
>>

Touche. But as Bromp has pointed out, you can buy cycling shoes in Aldi which do have such reflective strips; so why not on the high-end stuff? After all, this is cyclists' safety we're talking about, but heaven forfend that safety should be a consideration if the shoes should perhaps be a gram heavier or slightly less aerodynamic with reflective strips on.
Last edited by: Harleyman on Tue 2 Dec 14 at 16:20

>>After all, this is cyclists' safety we're talking about,

You expect cyclists to have any responsibility for their own safety ?
Not my frownie, although I am curious to know why you posted that. Seems a somewhat unilateral view of the subject. In my experience you get dumb people and smart people and those in between in any sub group.

You know when you... - No FM2R
I am more intrigued by the thumb. Its a strange thought process, thumbing up a comment like that while staying in the back ground.

I kind of get frownies; apart from a very few well thought out ones, those mostly come from people who either disagree for a not very good reason or who are just too cowardly to come out in public.

But a shy "thumb" seems a little weird.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Tue 2 Dec 14 at 19:23

Must say I agree with you on this occasion, especially as it's supposed to indicate that someone found a comment "useful"...

Perhaps we could have another little sign for "puzzling" ?

We could just post and say "I am puzzled"

That's a good idea.

You know when you... - Fenlander
I'm not a great user of either thumb** or frown but they are a legit facility provided by the forum so no reason why folks shouldn't use them... their use without an associated post in no way should indicate any lesser credibility than someone who wades into battle with a full post.

In an associated manner I see my recent thread updating on my old 5 series attracted just 10 replies but 522 views.

So one might assume on 512 page visits folks found they were happy to read but didn't wish to add more.

That's very much a part of the way forums work.

**Having said that on the odd occasion I look in with little time to get involved it seems appropriate to add a thumb to a few posts I agree with but don't have time to discuss.
>> Not my frownie,

The frownie was mine for a poster who (a) wants cyclists to take responsibility for their own safety but (b) labels those who take responsibility by vocalising their safety concerns as 'shouty cyclists'.

Well that provoked some discussion. :)

Next question, are the aggresive urban cyclists who abuse motorists, jump red lights, ignore zebra crossings, etc. the same ones that shout loudest when a cyclist is injured or killed by a turning lorry ?
Well, with respect, the discussion I'd like to read is why you made that statement above at least inferring that all cyclists have no regard for their own safety?

Actually, on reflection, I wouldn't, I've just remembered, I've got some paint to watch drying.
>> Well, with respect, the discussion I'd like to read is why you made that statement
>> above at least inferring that all cyclists have no regard for their own safety?
>>

Here is some drying paint for you, I have come across "All the gear, no idea" cyclists turning across the front of my car with no warning or signal, riding in almost darkness dressed all in black without lights, riding the wrong way on a one way street, riding on the wrong side of the road, riding on the pavement, not using cycle paths and lanes, and worst of all squeezing alongside me when I have been driving an articulated lorry stopped at a junction on more times than I can remember, and that is just my observation. Are they a minority? I don't know ?
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 2 Dec 14 at 20:27
ON,

There are sinners in all groups of road users.

I was on a course last Wednesday with thirty other folks who'd missed a red light, parked on zebra zig zags, caught on a mobile phone etc. Adjacent classroom held a similar number on a speed awareness course.

I believe both run 2*daily 5 days a week.
>> What I do need, is a slash...
This ride is built to dominate: the mountain,…

Yeah I suppose an old rider thats loosing his bottle needs a psychological boost. Bikers dutch courage they call it.

Innovation? - Roger.
www.telegraph.co.uk/men/active/recreational-cycling/11258405/Tannus-tyres-is-this-the-end-of-the-road-for-bike-punctures.html

Innovation? - Focusless
>> www.telegraph.co.uk/men/active/recreational-cycling/11258405/Tannus-tyres-is-this-the-end-of-the-road-for-bike-punctures.html

Shortly after bringing up the DT page I get a 'you've have been hacked by the Syrian Electronic Army(SEA)' pop-up and the page redirects to pretty picture of (presumably) the SEA emblem.

Was getting this over the weekend on other DT pages - don't think it's dangerous, but it is irritating.

www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/nov/27/syrian-electronic-army-hacks-independent-ok-magazine-and-nhl
Last edited by: Focusless on Mon 1 Dec 14 at 10:58

Innovation? - Roger.
That didn't happen with me - I'm running Adblock Plus { not here on C4P ;-0 ) } and using Comodo Internet Security Premium, with pop-ups blocked in Firefox and also Blur (do not track).
Last edited by: Roger. on Mon 1 Dec 14 at 12:10

Innovation? - Zero
>> That didn't happen with me - I'm running Adblock Plus { not here on C4P
>> ;-0 ) } and using Comodo Internet Security Premium, with pop-ups blocked in Firefox and
>> also Blur (do not track).

Didn't happen with me either and I am running none of those.

Innovation? - Focusless
The report does say that it only affects some users.

I'm running Adblock, with pop-ups disabled in Chrome (and DT isn't an exception). (The message probably isn't a 'pop-up' in the Chrome settings sense of the word.)

Innovation? - Fenlander
>>>Lots of sports and activities involve the use of specialist shoes or boots. Most of which would make the wearer look a bit silly if worn out of context. But let's not let that get in the way of yet another cheap dig at cyclists.

But be honest.. they do look amusing with the off bike waddle.

I'm pleased to ride a bike pretty well every day but will never be a "proper cyclist".

Youngest daughter is in the middle stages of learning to drive and proper cyclists with their antics are her worse nightmare on a Sunday morning. This Sunday just gone a gaggle of pedal clipped fluorescent clad types were a few yards in front as we approached a T-junction with very poor visibility.

We wanted to turn right, as they apparently did with their "outrider" signalling with her arm and taking up a right turn posn near the white line. She'd looked behind her first and no doubt seen my obviously very young daughter close behind with L-plates well displayed.

Problem was the rest of the comrades weren't following orders and stopped randomly across the width of the carriageway totally blocking it... and there they sat no doubt pondering the route to the best value coffee stop. I was just about to get out and explain if they didn't move they were forcing my daughter to pull onto the wrong side of the road on a blind bend when they reluctantly moved to the kerb but with thunderous faces. I'm sure had I needed to step out of the car confrontation was to follow.

Two minutes later in the village, as we were still talking about the care needed around easily damaged unpredictable road users, we came up behind a cycling pair in the same getup who looked like the advance party. As my daughter changed down a gear, checked her mirror and indicated to start passing them they abruptly turned right across our path bumped up the kerb and onto the forecourt of the village shop.... not a look back or a signal from them.

As it happened we were going into the shop too and soon found ourselves catching them up in aisle one and I was tempted to "'ave a word"... but thought they'll probably be Go-Pro warriors and I'll end up on Youtube.

Shame... they don't help the cause one bit.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Tue 2 Dec 14 at 14:02
 Innovation? - Runfer D'Hills
Sure of course it's amusing, just as it would be if someone wandered into a cafe wearing football boots, ski boots or scuba diving gear. Just as it might be fun to dress up as a faux Hell's Angel to ride a Harley but in turn that would make you look like more than a bit of a pillock wandering around Sainsburys.

I only ride on the road for convenience/ errands now and prefer when possible to be off road. Those who enjoy the countryside seem more at peace with the concept of shared space than road users of whatever ilk or dress code.

Innovation? - Fenlander
>>>you look like more than a bit of a pillock wandering around Sainsburys.

True.. not that I'd ever have ventured that opinion to just that guy who uses our nearest Fenland Co-op!

He looks so out of place amongst the green John Deere overalls, screwed on caps and wellies.

Innovation? - Armel Coussine
>>>you look like more than a bit of a pillock wandering around Sainsburys.

Hells Angels don't look like pillocks. They look like nasty thugs, which many of them are.
 Innovation? - Bromptonaut
Leading a group of cyclists is like herding cats, there's always a few who, however clearly the protocols are explained, don't or won't get it. Riding in a group also requires a certain degree of skill - a brief touch of wheels will fling both riders off, probably taking others out as collateral.

One of the dangers turning right at a T-junction (ie riding up the T to the crossing road) is that idiot motor drivers, rather than wait behind, pull up on your nearside. I don't know what they're thinking because however rapid the car's acceleration confliction is inevitable unless one waits for the other. Tactically therefore, from riders pov, it makes sense to form up as a group so as to occupy space of a four wheel vehicle and block off such stupidity.

Doesn't excuse failing to Go as soon as the Give Way principle allows though, neither does it explain the activity in the main street.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Tue 2 Dec 14 at 14:27

Innovation? - Fenlander
>>>Doesn't excuse failing to Go as soon as the Give Way principle allows though, neither does it explain the activity in the main street.

Yep my comments weren't anti-cyclist but it's a great shame when, on that morning, all the cyclists we came across let themselves down as responsible road users in my daughter's eyes.... and that's how biased opinions start to be created.

I'm all for the walker, pushchair pusher, dog walker, horse rider, cyclist, biker, slow car driver, fast car driver, lorry driver etc but they do themselves so much harm when fencing themselves into us & them cliques.

I pretty much agree with everything you say Fenlander, except for me I'd slightly rephrase your last comment to say "...but we do ourselves so much harm when fencing ourselves into us and them cliques"

The only way we're ever going to make progress in shared road use is for all users however they are travelling to stop thinking of those who are currently using a different method of propulsion as having greater or lesser rights to be there and accepting, understanding and allowing for their limitations.
 Innovation? - Fenlander
>>> stop thinking of those who are currently using a different method of propulsion as having greater or lesser rights to be there and accepting, understanding and allowing for their limitations.

Which is exactly how I use the road... and why I used "they" not "we".

Apart from the lorry driver (but I had a good friend who was a lorry driver ha ha) I have been "walker, pushchair pusher, dog walker, horse rider, cyclist, biker, slow car driver, fast car driver, lorry driver"... oh and I forgot baler tugging tractor driver... in the same timeframe and I never sought to elevate the importance of one above the other but related the undertaking of each to the way it interacted with others so used appropriate care and consideration.

In real life I'm totally non-competitive/confrontational so it comes easily.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Tue 2 Dec 14 at 15:39

Yeah, I feel a bit like that too. I'm always slightly surprised when people report coming into conflict with others on the road. I've been using roads all my life and really can count on the fingers of one hand the occasions when I've felt genuinely angry or upset by anyone else using them. Occasionally inconvenienced of course but never to the point of feeling like shouting, sounding the horn or otherwise getting my underwear in a twist.

No matter what I might be muttering under my breath...

;-)

Innovation? - Robin O'Reliant
Unfortunately when people ride in large groups a mob mentality takes over and discipline tends to go out of the window. You see it both with cyclists and motorcyclists or crowds on foot and I have cringed with embarrassment on many occasions when I have been part of one in all of those categories.
Last edited by: Robin O'Reliant on Tue 2 Dec 14 at 16:14

Latest Forum Posts