Non-motoring > Referendum Discussion, Brexit, etc - Vol 39   [Read only]
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 108

Referendum Discussion, Brexit, etc - Vol 39 - VxFan

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 40 *****

==============================================================

Continuing debate

Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 18 Oct 16 at 10:38

Appeasing the voters... - smokie
I hope this doesn't re-ignite the embers...

During the 40 minutes I was on the treadmill Adam Boulton was reporting from the Tory conference and repeatedly made the point that there is a feeling that the Tories are ignoring the 48% who voted to stay in. I'd not heard that anywhere before but it feels like he might have a point. Although Out won the day there has to be compromise.

Mind you with most In and Out voters not really knowing what they voted for anyway, they have a pretty blank page and can rest assured that, whatever they do, someone will be up in arms about it! Whoever inherited the mess, whatever their political colour, would not be have able to please everyone and it seems a bit harsh for folks to be sniping at May for what she's doing. But that's the nature of people these days...

(An Out voter was grumbling to me yesterday that she is wrong because she hasn't got on with getting us out. I don't think they realised that there is stuff to unravel and re-negotiate, and these things take time...)
 Appeasing the voters... - Bromptonaut
Funny you should post that Smoke. I was thinking along same lines listening to Amber Rudd being interviewed on Today. Too much focus on the immigration bit at expense of the nation's long term (or even short term) economic state.

And for sure lots of outies thought leaving as analogous to changing your gym membership; just give notice and walk.

Appeasing the voters... - commerdriver
This process will take time and there is a whole lot of negotiation to go on that hasn't even started yet.The media want everything now, patience is not in their DNA.
The government cannot "ignore" the 48% but neither can they ignore the 52% or the result without totally destroying any confidence in "the system"
I voted remain I want to remain but I have to accept the decision albeit unbinding, flawed etc etc etc. I cannot see any credible way forward other than brexit, whatever form it eventually comes in.

Appeasing the voters... - zippy
It does seem all very one sided. Where has the "we govern for the entire country" mentality gone!

I was half expecting to hear "if you are not in the Party you are an enemy of zee state" but then that could have easily have come from Corbyn's crowd!

Getting rid of foreign workers will shut businesses down:

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=22974&m=511737
www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=22723&m=504276

Appeasing the voters... - Cliff Pope

>> The government cannot "ignore" the 48% but neither can they ignore the 52% or the
>> result without totally destroying any confidence in "the system"

So it's just like all other elections then - one side loses, the other has a "mandate".

Except that this time there is no arguing about total votes cast not equating with the result because of quibbles over electoral boundaries and constituency sizes.
 Appeasing the voters... - RattleandSmoke
I am getting more and more angry about the entire thing. I just feel like we are moving towards the 1930s. The more May (I have a nickname for her, but I can't say what it is on here but it begins with B and ends with the word face).

I must regjoin some of the 48 groups (I left as it was making me depressed) but I feel I now need to get more involved and do my part in making sure the UK doesn't turn into a right wing Nazi terrorist state. OK maybe I have been reading too many opinions in the Guardian!
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Wed 5 Oct 16 at 17:49

Appeasing the voters... - sooty123
(I have a nickname for her,
>> but I can't say what it is on here but it begins with B and
>> ends with the word face).
>>

Is it boatymcboatface ?

Appeasing the voters... - Pat
>>making sure the UK doesn't turn into a right wing Nazi terrorist state<<

I think you may find we have just neatly avoided that with a well educated vote to Brexit.

Pat
 Appeasing the voters... - Zero
>> >>making sure the UK doesn't turn into a right wing Nazi terrorist state<<
>>
>> I think you may find we have just neatly avoided that with a well educated
>> vote to Brexit.
>>
>> Pat

Pat I know you state its a price worth paying, but would you like to contribute your part of that payment to my son who has just been made redundant, because of Brexit?

I am sure he is eternally grateful for your educated choice.
......and would he have been made redundant if the vote had gone the other way? Can you be sure?

There are some amazing things being blamed on to Brexit considering the process hasn't been started yet.

Pat
 Appeasing the voters... - Bromptonaut
>> There are some amazing things being blamed on to Brexit considering the process hasn't been
>> started yet.
>>
>> Pat

Uncertainty stops investment. Did you hear comments from Carlos Ghosn, head of Renault/Nissan last wee?

Appeasing the voters... - CGNorwich
In her conference speech Theresa May boasted that the UK was the fifth largest economy in the world.

As a result of market fear over a hard Brexit and the consequent devaluation of the pound it has now officially dropped to sixth largest.

Ah well.

>>As a result of market fear over a hard Brexit <<

At the risk of No FM2R, can you substantiate that because the reports I have heard since very early this morning have all said that 'experts are trying to find the cause of it'.

Pat
Para 2 of the current Beeb article says "The pound was pummelled in the currency markets in Friday Asian trading, with traders blaming concerns over Brexit and a flash crash that hit the market."

Even if that's not true the Grauniad says

"The trading incident appears to have lasted for about four minutes in early Asian trading on Friday, compounding the losses that sterling had already suffered following speculation that Britain is heading for a “hard Brexit”."

And Alain Naef is a PhD candidate in Financial History at University of Cambridge, wrote in Newsweek in July "Harvard economists Carmen Reinhart and Ken Rogoff define currency crashes as any drop of 15 percent over a year. By these measures, the aftermath of Brexit can be seen as a currency crash. "

So whether or not BREXIT is responsible for today's "blip", it seems that better experts than us appear to consider that BREXIT might have had a negative impact on exchange rates.

Edit to the above post because the phone rang and interrupted it.

It should read 'At the risk of SOUNDING LIKE No FM2R'

Hope that's straight now but it is a sad fact that I have to work, as well as try and post on here at times too.

Pat
 Appeasing the voters... - Duncan

>> because of Brexit?

I thought you had Brexited, over the hills and far away?

No hills for miles around here Duncan:)

Pat

Appeasing the voters... - Manatee
>making sure the UK doesn't turn into a right wing Nazi terrorist state.

That seems unlikely, but if it is what you are worried about then being governed more by the MPs we elect, and less by the EU, might seem to be a good thing.

The trouble usually starts where the proletariat is feeling badly done to. That looks more likely to happen in the poorer and less productive countries in the eurozone than here, based on their economic situations.
 Appeasing the voters... - Mapmaker
I voted to remain, but I do not remoan and am thoroughly behind Brexit. It's that or go mad.

To ignore the 52% who voted to leave would be morally wrong.
 Appeasing the voters... - sherlock47
>>>To ignore the 52% who voted to leave would be morally wrong. <<<

OK , so where are the dividing lines between

morality - acting in the best interest of the country - I was only obeying orders ?

I hesitate to refer to Godwins Law - it has already been invoked above!
Last edited by: sherlock47 on Thu 6 Oct 16 at 09:48

Appeasing the voters... - sherlock47
>>>I now need to get more involved and do my part in making sure the UK doesn't turn into a right wing Nazi terrorist state<<<

Too late! (a senior moment and I put this in the wrong thread :)

This should satisfy the fenlanders.....(and others)

Amber Rudd
www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/james-obrien/james-amber-rudds-speech-echoes-mein-kampf/
Last edited by: sherlock47 on Thu 6 Oct 16 at 09:39

Perhaps you should read the comments below your link Sherlock, and in particular the first one seems to say it all.

Pat
www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/oct/07/lse-brexit-non-uk-experts-foreign-academics

So, let me get this straight, a Johnny Foreigner comes up with a brilliant idea but because he / she is not British then that idea is not even allowed to see the light of day!

Talk about cutting off the nose to spite the face!

Little England here we come!

Inexplicable. I would have thought that insight from the non-British could be quite useful and complementary.

There must surely be more to it.

>> Inexplicable. I would have thought that insight from the non-British could be quite useful and
>> complementary.
>>
>> There must surely be more to it.
>>

Fear of leaking ideas to Zee Enemy?

I suspect that if the government has procured services from the LSE then banning EU citizens from working on the project would be illegal under the laws as they stand!
Last edited by: zippy on Fri 7 Oct 16 at 16:29

>> Fear of leaking ideas to Zee Enemy?

Plenty of British enemies, as they must have noticed.

I expect they are concerned that it would be seen as incompatible with the desires of the Out voters. The Government is in an impossible situation in many respects.

"I expect they are concerned that it would be seen as incompatible with the desires of the Out voters"

You mean pandering to xenophobic feelings of the Out voters?

What is happening to his country?

Does voting out make me a xenophobe CG?

Pat

No not necessarily. Depends why you so voted. I guess you know whether you are or not

Measures like the one being discussed and to which post referred certainly seem to appeal to the xenophobic element in our population. Why exclude an advisor on any subject just because they were not born here?

>>The Government is in an impossible situation in many respects. <<

It's a situation of their own doing, so it makes a change to see them have to work for those ridiculously high wages we have to pay them to get people 'suitably qualified to do the job'...as I have been told one here more than once.

I think it's a situation of when the going gets tough the tough get going as we saw with Cameron, and I suspect we will see a few more before too long.

Pat
How so? Us, the voters, voted for Out. How's the government responsible for that?

They have to pick up the pieces now, while double guessing the policies they think the Out voters voted for, and all the time being criticised for the way they do it. I've not seen much constructive assistance or advice coming from anyone on the "Out" side, either here, or in the press, or in Government.

Would you have preferred that Cameron had stayed on and implemented policies he (maybe) personally strongly disagreed with?
>>Would you have preferred that Cameron had stayed on and implemented policies he (maybe) personally strongly disagreed with? <<

Yes, I would actually.

As an elected leader he is in the job to represent his electorate and not his personal feelings.

If the government hadn't been so out of touch with the majority of feeling in the country he would have had a Plan B, and been able to have implemented it.

If he had the backbone to negotiate a netter deal with the EU we wouldn't be in the position we're in now.

So, yes, I think he should have stayed on and done the job he was elected to do, instead of running away when it didn't go all his way.

Pat
 Appeasing the voters... - sooty123
> As an elected leader he is in the job to represent his electorate and not
>> his personal feelings.

I think it's because of his personal feelings he left, if it was a minor policy change that he disagreed with then yes he should stay on. But something so completely opposite to what he thinks is the right way. Anyway practical politics would have meant he had to go.

Appeasing the voters... - Dutchie
The problem is Pat that those ridiculous high wages don't go inside with good brain power.

They have to negotiate deals for over 60 million peoples welfare.Not enough clever civil servants to help them it is a dogs dinner.

And yes you are right they have their own to blame.

But blaming immigrants for our ills is far fetched by a nasty minority.Hitler did he same and he wasn't stupid whatever people say.

Appeasing the voters... - movilogo
>> a Johnny Foreigner comes up with a brilliant idea

Who decides whether it is a "brilliant" or "stupid" idea? Brexit ideas (more correctly opinions) are social science and not physics formula where one can prove by theory or practical experiments.

A EU academic's idea may cause conflict of personal interest. So govt. only said no new papers accepted on Brexit matter only.

Appeasing the voters... - Runfer D'Hills
Another "coincidence" ?

Sure, of course it is.

uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/pound-sinks-1985-low-likely-072000076.html

Anyone looking to buy large ticket imported goods would be well advised to buy fairly promptly. Expect a 10% increase in the new year as a result of Sterling's fall.

Appeasing the voters... - Runfer D'Hills
Oh hadn't you heard CG? "It'll be alright"

Apparently...

I so wish I could believe that. Perhaps if I say it enough I'll start believing it.

Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end.

John Lennon

Quite. There will be an equilibrium, which is what the currency movement is about.

It is a mistake to look at currency movements as a barometer of the country's health. On the other hand, a devaluation on this scale will make us poorer.

We would have been poorer anyway at some stage, as we have, both in terms of public and private debt, been spending above our income so there is a risk we will get the full double whammy.

We were not in a good place before. Time will tell if we have made it worse or better.

The EU has a dilemma. Caught between punishing the UK and shooting itself in the foot. A new equilibrium awaits the EU too.
Not too many goods that aren't imported :(

Yep our old friend inflation is due to make a call.

Appeasing the voters... - Crankcase
Since international finance is the topic of the moment, can I just say that I've just watched The Big Short (on Netflix).

Whilst it's sort of fictionalised, it's one of those "it's a true story" films. I thought it was very good, and if you wanted to know about how the global financial collapse came about, and indeed who actually made money during it, then this is the film for you.

Recommended.

Appeasing the voters... - rtj70
>> Yep our old friend inflation is due to make a call.
>>

So the bank of England will react to counteract that. That's not good either.

Making Lists - zippy
With companies being told to list foreign workers there have been reports of schools in the area asking parents to confirm if their children are British born.

If true, I have a very uncomfortable feeling about this and where does it stop? Are you a British citizen, but for how many generations!?

>> >> Yep our old friend inflation is due to make a call.
>> >>
>>
>> So the bank of England will react to counteract that. That's not good either.

Haven't you paid off your mortgage? Raising interest rates will stem the transfer of wealth from savers to borrowers and help deflate the housing bubble.
Last edited by: Manatee on Fri 7 Oct 16 at 20:34
 Appeasing the voters... - car4play
>> Yep our old friend inflation is due to make a call.

Not a bad thing according to Melvyn King.

news.sky.com/story/lower-pound-a-welcome-change-says-former-bank-chief-lord-king-10612690

Appeasing the voters... - Dog
Cornish pasties and saffron cake topped with Rodda's clotted cream isn't imported.

Well, I 'spose it is if you live the wrong side of the Tamar.

8-}
 Now, about that price worth paying............ - No FM2R
www.bbc.com/news/business-37609114

Falling Pound - No FM2R
www.bbc.com/news/business-37620331
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 12 Oct 16 at 01:29

Falling Pound - Cliff Pope
Reformation Discussion, Rexit, etc - Vol 3,800
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 12 Oct 16 at 01:29

Falling Pound - CGNorwich
"But a leading light in the Brexit campaign said they now expected the UK could still end up paying as much as £5bn a year into EU funds, in return for access to the single market."

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-37627308

Falling Pound - Dog
= Could / might ... May may not.

>>35bn

"Half of what the UK would have expected to contribute to the EU - estimated by the Office for Budget Responsibility to average around £9.6bn a year from 2015"

"One senior Whitehall official said the UK would be unlikely to pay into the main EU budget after Brexit"

Brexit means Brexit, means?

8-}
 Brexit to cost £66bn per year - zippy
www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10/11/revealed-hard-brexit-will-cost-britain-66billion-per-year/

Whoops!

Our contribution to the EU was only £18.2 billion a year!

Brexit to cost £66bn per year - Runfer D'Hills
It's all going well isn't it...

Brexit to cost �£66bn per year - zippy
>> It's all going well isn't it...
>>

Yes it is! My employer has slashed the sales force as no one is buying. Clearly the cuts won't stop there! :-(

Brexit to cost £66bn per year - Dog
Whingeing. Contemptuous. Unpatriotic. Damn the Bremoaners and their plot to subvert the will of the British people.

www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-3833496/DAILY-MAIL-COMMENT-Whingeing-Contemptuous-Unpatriotic-Damn-Bremoaners-plot-subvert-British-people.html

8-}

Brexit to cost �£66bn per year - NortonES2
Daily Mail and patriotism? That organ of malcontent has no lessons to impart.

Brexit to cost �£66bn per year - Runfer D'Hills
Don't worry, it's going to be alright you know. My wife's auntie says so and she works on the tills at ASDA and what's more her friend who works on the grocery aisle agrees. These economists know nothing. It'll be fine...
 Brexit to cost ���£66bn per year - Mike Hannon
My friend in the UK owns a 'traditional' manufacturing business with several dozen employees and an international market. The plummeting pound has led to a surge in orders from across the world, starting on June 24. I know it's true because I was sitting beside him when the first one (worth £600,000) was confirmed. Just sayin'.
Meanwhile, expats like me have seen their income hammered and many of us didn't even get a vote. I can't help thinking the banksters are alternating between blind panic and a desire to punish those who dare to rock their (increasingly leaky) boat.
Isn't democracy (and international capitalism) wonderful?

Brexit to cost £66bn per year - No FM2R
>> a 'traditional' manufacturing business

Where do his machines come from? Where do his materials come from?

Because those are two things which often hurt businesses like that. Swings and roundabouts to an extent, of course. But generally they will push up inflation. As will his employees if they like foreign holidays, or indeed foreign goods themselves.

Marmite Lovers Feel Brexit Pain - CGNorwich
Marmite disappears from Tesco shelves in dispute over price increase following devaluation of pound.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37637954
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Wed 12 Oct 16 at 21:06

Marmite Lovers Feel Brexit Pain - zippy
A digger manufacturing company is pro Brexit because I guess they know their machines will be cheaper abroad.

His supply chain are sweating though. I have visited a few recently. They are UK based but buy CNC machines, steel, rubber and electronic components from around the world and costs are rising exorbitantly. They are all on price down contracts (prices have to reduce by a percentage each year) and can't pass their costs on. Some will not survive in to the new year.

Very short sighted or deliberate plan to kill local contacts and buy directly from abroad?
Last edited by: zippy on Wed 12 Oct 16 at 22:05

It would be interesting if Tesco were to cave in and increase prices.

True inflation and the real impact of Brexit seen by the people who did and did not vote for it!

Marmite Lovers Feel Brexit Pain - Haywain

Marmite - manufactured in England, largely as a by-product of the brewing industry

Unilever - last year posted profits of £2bn

10% price increase = greed ?

Marmite Lovers Feel Brexit Pain - VxFan
It's ironic that Tesco boss Dave Lewis was a senior executive at Unilever for most of his career before being poached by Tesco. At least he'll have an insight into how Unilever operate.

Hopefully other supermarkets, Pound shops, etc will also stand up to Unilever.

Marmite Lovers Feel Brexit Pain - No FM2R
I'm not sure Unilever is in the wrong here, or not completely so at least. If their costs have changed then surely their prices should be expected to?

It may well have changed, but when I was at Unilever they used tobinsist on seeing the balance sheets of their suppliers to ensure that they were profitable. Their argument being that is was not in their (Unilever's) interest to either see a supplier fail or for Unilever to be seen as an undesirable customer.

Who knows, that may have fallen by the wayside these days. However, that has never been Tesco's approach who absolutely believe in nailing everyone for every penny.

I am also curious as to which company went public with this. I bet it was Tesco.

Marmite Lovers Feel Brexit Pain - Clk Sec
>>Marmite lovers feel the pain

Vegimite alternative = No pain, and less salt.

Marmite Lovers Feel Brexit Pain - commerdriver
Don't know how long ago you were at Unilever Mark, but, as I am sure you appreciate, corporate culture in the UK is very different to what it was 10 or 20 years ago, much harder and more abrasive, especially in larger companies.

Interesting one her is that the Tesco boss is a fairly recent, long term Unilever person.

>>Don't know how long ago you were at Unilever

Trying to think... Frighteningly its probably at least 15 years which is a bit shocking. My responsibility extended across Europe, so was mostly based in the Netherlands.

But I've been in other major corporations in Europe quite recently.

I think some here are over simplifying....

To stat with, whatever happens, the impact of the ratio of export to import, and the absolute value involved, changing quickly is bad. Always.

In this case, and at the moment, Exports get cheaper and go up because of the falling exchange rate. Well, a good thing mostly but don't forget Imports become more expensive...

Where do my materials come from? And even if they come from the UK, where to the raw materials come from?

What about the machinery and tools? Where do they come from? And their parts & maintenance?

What about my employees? Will things they want to buy come from abroad, including holidays?

However, lets assume a miracle and its a UK based business buying all its materials, labour and tools in the UK and by some miracle the staff only buy British.

The trouble is, that's not true for everybody and what imports continue will become more expensive, so increasing costs of food, fuel and goodness knows what else. This will increase inflation (exports have no direct impact).

So the costs of the goods and service the business does buy will increase anyway. So increasing his costs causing less of his products to be bought within the UK and more shipped out.

Now, since his costs have increased and his market is moving increasingly off shore, he looks for ways to start cutting his costs. Well, since he is less dependent on the UK market, then offshoring manufacturing would seem to be the way to go.....

So now we need to transport less goods. Now that's partly good because they use less fuel, but of course then we don't need the transport and logistics infrastructure.

So as well as inflation, now unemployment will increase in the UK as well, meaning that they can buy less goods.

Then of course people are right off the idea of investing in the flaky UK, so the pound drops further.

.................and so on and so on

The law of unintended consequences. That and the first law of holes should be our guiding lights.

This example is horribly over-simplified, and by no means complete, but the point is that Exports up and Imports down is neither simply nor necessarily good. And the two effects do not balance.

And whatever the result 10 years from now the period of time from here to there is likely to be very bumpy and probably quite miserable. Ironically mostly for the demographic that voted leave.

Still, no doubt its a price worth paying......
Last edited by: No FM2R on Thu 13 Oct 16 at 19:54

>>I'm not sure Unilever is in the wrong here...

If their costs have increased then they are absolutely right to protect shareholder value and pass on those increases - to the level that the market can bear - i.e. maximise profits.

If the price increases are because of the falling value of the pound then Tesco are effectively hiding the true effect of the Brexit vote which is wrong.

I hate to say it, but expect to see petrol and diesel getting more expensive and pretty much any imported goods and the sooner they get more expensive the better, as I would not want the then people who voted for Brexit to miss out on some of the things that they voted for.

Marmite Lovers Feel Brexit Pain - VxFan
>> If their costs have changed then surely their prices should be expected to?

We're told that exports have soared because of the weaker pound since the Brexit vote has given UK manufacturers more market muscle.

If that's the case then surely anything Unilever export is cheaper and thus offsets any expense caused to them through Brexit in this Country.

Are Unilever telling supermarkets abroad to lower their prices because it's cheaper to export. I bet they aren't.
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 13 Oct 16 at 13:04
>>Are Unilever telling supermarkets abroad to lower their prices because it's cheaper to export. I bet they aren't.

They are a business, there to maximise profits. They have no need to reduce prices if the market is bearing those costs, why should they be required to subsidise consumers in one particular country!?

Marmite Lovers Feel Brexit Pain - movilogo
Unilever bosses wanted to stay in EU.

There is a trend nowadays. Ask a random thing. When don't get it, blame on Brexit.

Marmite Lovers Feel Brexit Pain - Bromptonaut
Although the headline writers have chosen to major on Marmite the issue extends across a range of Unilver products. No idea of Unilver's accounting arrangements but any UK costs incurred in or profit converted to Euro will be adversely affected by devaluation.

Marmite Lovers Feel Brexit Pain - rtj70
Marmite might be one of the items in the headlines but surely the issue between Unilever and supermarkets (not just Tesco) is the overall cost for items. Maybe Marmite has not gone up in terms of cost but who says other items haven't. But if Tesco won't pay the extra for the other items, i.e. not paying Unilever, then they won't be sent any Marmite or PG Tips etc.

Yorkshire tea is much nicer than PG Tips. Who owns Taylor's of Harrogate - is it still a family business?

>>Who owns Taylor's of Harrogate - is it still a family business?

The holding co is I think Bettys & Taylors Group Ltd

At the 4th April 2015 there were 42,440 shares and these are owned as follows:

A M Barns: 4,200
L Wild: 2,000
C V Wild: 148
M G Bennett: 4,200
K Wild: 150
E Barns: 8,300
J L Rickatson: 3,000
J D Coutts: 3,000
R A Barns: 4,200
C Benest: 1,200
J Wild: 10,842

The net worth of the company at 31st October 2015 was £106,776,000 making each share worth about £2,515.93 - not bad profit in a cuppa! (Errors and omissions excepted.)

Last edited by: zippy on Thu 13 Oct 16 at 18:14

not bad profit in a cuppa!

If you have ever bought a cup of their massively overpriced tea in their twee tea rooms in Harrogate you will understand.

I prefer an Americano in Costa ;-)

>> If you have ever bought a cup of their massively overpriced tea in their twee
>> tea rooms in Harrogate you will understand.

Used to take the kids to Bettys in Ilkley while their Gran still lived in Guiseley; well over ten years ago now. Judging by the queue the market thought the cost of overpriced tea worth paying.

Has anything changed?

Yorkshire Tea, albeit loose rather than in bags, is the standard at home. Hot Lava Java and Lazy Sunday coffee are favourites too.

Bettys - Manatee
Bettys is usually too busy and therefore time-consuming to be much fun, and it's expensive. I took some friends to the Northallerton one recently, but the half hour wait rather took the shine off it.

If in Harrogate, try Palm Court or Jenny's.

At Bettys I usually look at the queue, remember the prices, and content myself with buying a couple of fat rascals in the shop to take away.

www.bettys.co.uk/cakes/fat-rascals

I don't really like milk or sugar in tea or coffee and prefer green tea or Darjeeling - something without too much tannin.

Marmite Lovers Feel Brexit Pain - NortonES2
Boh tea, if only I could get it. Ambo might know of it?

Marmite Lovers Feel Brexit Pain - Runfer D'Hills
Malaysian, I want to think. Might be wrong.

www.bbc.com/news/business-37650234

"While politicians can deny reality, a shampoo produced on the continent is now more expensive," he said. "This isn't about Tesco or Unilever, but about all UK retailers and suppliers."

Marmite Lovers Feel Brexit Pain - Stuartli
Unilever has realised the financial implications in trying to pull a fast one on the UK's biggest supermarket chain and rightly had its nose bloodied.

Well done Tesco and no kudos for Unilever, whose action over the past 24 to 36 hours has earned it as lot of well deserved very poor publicity.

It will likely take a little time before the general public forgets such shenanigans.
 Marmite Lovers Feel Brexit Pain - Harleyman

>> Well done Tesco and no kudos for Unilever, whose action over the past 24 to
>> 36 hours has earned it as lot of well deserved very poor publicity.
>>

The cynic in me says that it's a bit rich for Tesco to portray itself as the British peoples' champion. They don't have the best of track records.
>> Unilever has realised the financial implications in trying to pull a fast one on the
>> UK's biggest supermarket chain and rightly had its nose bloodied.

Really? Seems to me that their costs went up, they tried to put up their prices. Not quite sure where the "fast one" comes in.

And as for the "bloodied nose". You do realise that they got their price increase, right? And agreed a deal with Asda at the same time, since Asda seemingly saw it all as a somewhat cautionary tale.

>> It will likely take a little time before the general public forgets such shenanigans.

Rubbish. some time tomorrow afternoon at best.
Perhaps you should have a look at these two links and the relevant percentage profit margins?

Unilever:

ycharts.com/companies/UL/profit_margin

Tesco:

tinyurl.com/zkb7t5y

>>Rubbish. some time tomorrow afternoon at best.>>

If Sir says so.
"trying to pull a fast one"
"had its nose bloodied"
"such shenanigans. "

And your "proof" is posting charts about profit margins?

I guess you don't really grasp this stuff. Don't worry though, lots of people don't. You're not alone. Though resorting to tabloid headlines isn't really a good way to hide it.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 14 Oct 16 at 13:16

Marmite Lovers Feel Brexit Pain - Manatee
It tells us nothing about Unilever, Tesco, and especially Brexit.

Nothing that we didn't know, anyway. Unilever would like its revenue to be higher, Tesco would like its costs to be lower. So it's not news that they are pulling on opposite ends of the rope.

Tesco would also like its revenues to be higher. It only wants to be the people's friend to the extent that it results in said people giving it more money.

Both Tesco and Unilever operate in a competitive environment. Both will push the envelope to the point where pushing it any further would be counterproductive, whether that means suspending supplies, delisting suppliers, or whinging to the press for that matter.

I like Marmite.

>>It tells us nothing about Unilever, Tesco, and especially Brexit.

It tells us that the exchange rate is beginning to cause issues.

The reasons for the exchange fluctuations are many and complex, but it would be naive to believe that it had nothing to do with the Brexit saga.

You are quite correct that it does indeed tell us little new about Unilever or Tescos, if anything at all.

Actually I guess you are quite correct in total, in that it should tell us nothing about Brexit that we didn't already "know", though perhaps it explains or shows a little more.

I like Marmite and so do my children. Lots. Damned expensive to get shipped though. One of the little jars is about £10. And that was before the exchange rate went for a walk.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sat 15 Oct 16 at 03:45

Marmite Lovers Feel Brexit Pain - The Melting Snowman
>>I like Marmite and so do my children.

Try Asda's equivalent, just as good but cheaper.
 Marmite Lovers Feel Brexit Pain - rtj70
>> Try Asda's equivalent, just as good but cheaper.

Yes Mark should pop to his local Asda in Chile ;-)

>>Try Asda's equivalent, just as good but cheaper.

I didn't know there was an equivalent. Is it seriously just as good? I mean for a Marmite purist.

Marmite Lovers Feel Brexit Pain - The Melting Snowman
Well I don't like the stuff but my missus does and she reckons it's as good. But if you're a real connoisseur I don't know.

>>I guess you don't really grasp this stuff. Don't worry though, lots of people don't. You're not alone. Though resorting to tabloid headlines isn't really a good way to hide it.>>

How could I or any other contributor to the forums possibly compete with such brain power?...:-( :-(

>> How could I or any other contributor to the forums possibly compete with such brain
>> power?...:-( :-(

Talk about stuff you understand?
love this:

sphericalbullshit.wordpress.com/2016/10/11/every-conversation-with-a-brexiteer-ever/
 Marmite Lovers Feel Brexit Pain - Dog
Luv this:

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3839636/Footage-shows-Paris-covered-rubbish-left-African-migrants.html

And this:

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3838592/England-suffering-boom-pupil-numbers-migration-crippled-secondary-schools.html
I'm not qualified to comment on Paris's problems except to point out that they disprove assertion that we alone suffer migrant issues because we're a 'soft touch'.

If secondary schools are oversubscribed that's wholly down to failure of government (both parties*) to invest in infrastructure. While migration is a factor in some places the real 'bulge' is an echo of the post war baby boom They've had at least eleven years notice since those kids were born and the population experts told the politicos it was coming well before the first sprog was popped.

*I'd particularly finger the incoming coalition that stopped the School Improvement Programme in it's tracks immediately they were elected. Some projects stopped were due to begin during the 2010 summer break. But Labour's insistence on private sector leases when government bonds were far cheaper is similarly culpable, not least for cash gobbling deals that continue today.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sat 15 Oct 16 at 17:21
 Marmite Lovers Feel Brexit Pain - car4play
Yes. The Boh tea factory is in the Cameron Highlands in Malaysia.
Run by the same British family that started it plus obligatory Malaysian director.
Visited it a few weeks ago.
Source. I was born in Malaysia.

How was the trip? Apparently Boh tea is imported to Germany, but haven't found it here yet and don't want a lot in case it's a disappointment….Lived in Perak for about 3 years. Dad was in the Army - Operation Ginger was on at the time. I'd have liked to have gone to the Cameron Highlands, but was away at school in Singapore when the family sneaked off!
Last edited by: NortonES2 on Sun 16 Oct 16 at 11:13

Marmite Lovers Feel Brexit Pain - Dog
Here ya go: skincareideas.ecrater.co.uk/p/13879905/boh-cameronian-gold-blend-tea

You can order it direct

i

www.salacca.com/epages/55532057.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/55532057/Categories/Tee_Kaffee_Malaysia/BOH_Schwarzer_Tee/Teeblaetter

Thanks CGN and Dog. Tempted, but at £23 a half pound I'll be uncharacteristically cautious:) Just noticed the salacca price is somewhat more appealing!
Last edited by: NortonES2 on Sun 16 Oct 16 at 11:57

No Extra Money For NHS - zippy
www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/oct/14/no-extra-money-for-nhs-theresa-may-tells-health-chief?CMP=share_btn_tw

But they promised that Brexit would allow and extra £350 million per week to be spent on the NHS!

Latest Forum Posts