Motoring Discussion > Scrapping your car Miscellaneous
Thread Author: CGNorwich Replies: 29

Scrapping your car - CGNorwich
Haven't seen it mentioned other than in the Times on Saturday but as from yesterday DVLA will no longer accept reports by drivers that they have scrapped their cars. Any driver who ticks the self scrapping tick box on the log book will be told by letter to take their car to a licensed scrapyard and obtain a certificate of destruction.

This is expected to put 100s of illegal scrapyards out of business and reduce scrap value of a car from around £100 to about £50.

As from next July DVLA will be reissuing all log-books when you tax your car. The new log books will no longer have the self scrapping tick-box
 Scrapping your car - J Bonington Jagworth
"Any driver who ticks the self scrapping tick box on the log book will be told by letter to take their car to a licensed scrapyard and obtain a certificate of destruction."

Won't it be too late by then?
according to the DVLA

"If you have broken up the vehicle yourself, you must either continue to tax it or tell the DVLA that you are keeping it off the public road. You can do this by making a SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification). You will need to make a SORN every year until you have taken it to an ATF, or told DVLA that you longer have it."
 Scrapping your car - swiss tony
>> according to the DVLA
>>
>> "If you have broken up the vehicle yourself, you must either continue to tax it
>> or tell the DVLA that you are keeping it off the public road. You can
>> do this by making a SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification). You will need to make
>> a SORN every year until you have taken it to an ATF, or told DVLA
>> that you longer have it."
>>
??? Idiots!
you can't tax it, after a while it wont have an MOT!
you can SORN it, I suppose.
and what would you say to the DVLA with regards to no longer having it? 'I did own it, but now its just a pile of rust'?
Effectively you can only:

Scrap it via an Authorised Treatment Facility adn obtain a certificate of destruction

SORN it

Sell or transfer it and complete the V5C/3 ‘Notification of sale or transfer’ section of your vehicle.

If you leave it in your front garden to rot away you will have to SORN it in perpetuity

Scrapping your car - Bellboy
If you leave it in your front garden to rot away you will have to SORN it in perpetuity
>>
>>if you do this under new regulations coming in at the end of this month you will be done under enviromental rules that says its waste and you as the owner havent had the vehicle decontaminated
 Scrapping your car - Old Sock
>> If you leave it in your front garden to rot away you will have to
>> SORN it in perpetuity
>> >>
>> >>if you do this under new regulations coming in at the end of this month
>> you will be done under enviromental rules that says its waste and you as the
>> owner havent had the vehicle decontaminated
>>

So I'll be 'done' if I take a fully-roadworthy one year-old car off the road and SORN it for five years??

Or maybe not....
"or told DVLA that you longer have it"

That sounds like the get-out clause.. :-)
Not really - you have to tell them who now has the vehicle
 Scrapping your car - bathtub tom
>>you have to tell them who now has the vehicle

Mr M Mouse, (make up the address).
I think you will find that until Mr M Mouse confirms that he is the proud new owner of your heap of junk the DVLA won't take your word for it
 Scrapping your car - henry k
>> >>you have to tell them who now has the vehicle
>>
Errrrr - one night it was removed by a guy in an old Transit truck.
( Should I report it as theft ?) :-)
Yes
"you have to tell them who now has the vehicle"

But you've broken it up, like they said! Do they want multiple addresses..?

(A sort of reverse 'one piece at a time')

At what point is it no longer a 'vehicle'?
Last edited by: J Bonington Jagworth on Tue 17 Aug 10 at 23:48
 Scrapping your car - henry k
At what point is it no longer a 'vehicle'?
>>
If you are flogging off parts to all and sundry I can see a day when a bit of bodywork with a VIN number is all that is left.
Can you then take the remnants to a scrappie, if any survive, and ask for the bit of paper?

Yes that's what you have to do. The intention is to prevent environmentally unfriendly disposal of the remains. Still plenty of scrapyards about but the illegal ones will be driven out of business. Without the illegal competition price of scrap cars will go down
 Scrapping your car - Cliff Pope
This sounds fun!
I have one old car still on SORN, really only for old time's sake, as I steadily remove bits for use in other cars. I must remember to keep the door post or perhaps just the VIN plate will do, so that I can officially "scrap" it one day.

I have another car officially still on SORN although effectively long since dismantled and parts dispersed. So it looks like it will have to stay on SORN to eternity, or until the DVLA is abolished, which might be sooner.

In about 50 years time someone will wake up to the fact that there are thousands of virtual cars living only in the imagination of the DVLA computer. May be there is something to be made out of this farce - I am strongly reminded of Gogol's "Dead Souls".

The next lunacy will probably be insisting that the dead cars will need MOTs. So I take my VIN plate to the tester, he plugs in his machine, and discovers that the only section of the test that is applicable is verifying the VIN number. It should sail through the emissions test too.

If I were the coalition government I would be wading into the DVLA with my axe swinging in gleeful anticipation of much carnage.
 Scrapping your car - AnotherJohnH
Could be the makings of a film:

The SORN identity.

Where did I leave my coat, and the keys?
 Scrapping your car - Iffy
..The SORN identity...

SORN on the 4th of July - scrapped on the 5th.

The car would then be SORN Free.

You are not too far out cliff but heres a few spanners
to get an end of life certificate the elv centre wants the car complete ie with engine in,without this they prefer to see it as a shell only and as such basic scrap and not a vehicle so you really have to plead to get an elv certificate so it gets wiped of the dvla computer
Remember its so easy 3 years from now to forget to reregister a pile of car bits on sorn and then you get the fine
Also remember that if you have a virtual car on sorn its been mooted and i believe is law in france that all cars will at some stage need to be insured if you are in the eu,now that should be fun
A final thought
Currently there are approximately 1,250 operators who work in the approved elv framework under the law, there are approximately 128,000 cars/vans/etc deemed category b salvage by the ABI and these have to be decontaminated by these centres.
Now add to these figures the average 2 million cars scapped by the uk as a whole and you can see that the figures dont equate to reason if there are 40 hours in an average workers week.
So before these draconian rules get put into action we need more elv centres and a slightly more relaxed attitude from the clipboard waving zealots that dont grasp the real situation thats bottling up
 Scrapping your car - BiggerBadderDave
Tick the exported section and make up an address in Slovakia.
>> Tick the exported section and make up an address in Slovakia.
>>
>>>>>> Will be interesting to see if this is on the v5c when the new ones finally hit the deck.
Im awaiting one as i type and its overdue so i guess the dvla printer is at this moment working overtime
 Scrapping your car - Cliff Pope
>>
>> Also remember that if you have a virtual car on sorn its been mooted and
>> i believe is law in france that all cars will at some stage need to
>> be insured if you are in the eu,now that should be fun
>> >>

The insurance on a pile of rust should be very cheap. It's probably already covered under general household risks - about the only risk I can think of is if an intruder trips over it.
 Scrapping your car - Mike Hannon
I hope this idiotic system never gets as far as France - gardens here are littered with discarded motors: I've seen as many as six in one garden. Just moved on one myself as a matter of fact after the mice started showing more than an interest.
Mind you, French bureaucracy is probably geared to operating a suitable system, complete with fully-staffed local offices, travelling snoopers, etc, etc, and a name like 'SNFPDDVV', which could be added to the list of official acronyms that the French have to learn every year. (You think I jest...?)
"So before these draconian rules get put into action we need more elv centres"

But that involves planning, work and expense! It's so much easier to invent new regulations...
Do we need more ELF centres? Doesn't seem any problem around here in disposing of a car legally. Plenty of licensed scrap dealers in the phone book, all seemingly keen to take away your car and provide you with the necessary paper work.

There are also lots of illegal scrap dealers, advertising on lamp posts etc to buy your car for £100 and providing only a mobil phone number. They take away your car and tell you to tick the self scrapping box on the log book.

You can imagine what happens to unwanted parts of these vehicles, oil,tyres etc.

Change in the regs doesn't seem unreasonable in the circumstances
 Scrapping your car - Dave_
>> There are also lots of illegal scrap dealers

Call me naive, but I was under the impression these characters turn up, take your car away, sell the bits they can get money for (catalyst, tyres etc) then weigh the rest in. Is that not correct?

From a layman's point of view I thought a scrapyard was a scrapyard was a scrapyard - piles of cars (most of them newer than mine), alsatian on a chain, filthy portacabin office, parts priced in multiples of £5. I can't say I've seen hordes of abandoned scrap cars on every street, at least not for a few years since the price of them took off.
Last edited by: Dave_TD {P} on Wed 18 Aug 10 at 12:30
 Scrapping your car - Redviper

>> filthy portacabin office, parts priced in multiples of £5.

When I had my MK1 Astra I used to be in the Scrappies quite often, some of the owners where completely the opposite to their stereotype I used to be on 1st name terms with but on the flip side others where not so pleasant.

Still I used to enjoy rambling around the scrappies, there have been times where i have come across a smashed up saloon/hatch and found family photographs in - sends a shiver down my spine

My friend used to have a mk2 cav, and instead of buying replacement tyres, he would by a complete tyre/wheel from a scrapped car and swap it over - false economy
characters turn up, take your car away, sell the bits they can get money for (catalyst, tyres etc) then weigh the rest in. Is that not correct?

No, Oil, Brake Fluid etc likely to end up down the drain and the tyres and anything else they can't sell in a handy lay-bye
 Scrapping your car - FotheringtonTomas
>> Without the illegal competition price of scrap cars will go down

I'm not sure how you work this out. A "breaker" will give me less than the "scrap" value for my car, then strip it, then take the remains to the scrap metal company, who will give normal value for the metal - they don't care whether anything works or not, it's all reduced to tiny pieces anyway...
Latest Forum Posts