Non-motoring > Appealing your council tax banding Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Rudedog Replies: 25

Appealing your council tax banding - RichardW
From MSE:

You can only formally challenge your council tax band if you've lived in the property for six months or less. This is also called making a proposal to change your council tax band.

This is done through the Valuation Office Agency (VOA). It might be able to change your band before you need to challenge, so get in touch with it first and explain why you think your band is wrong – make sure to include evidence. If you're unhappy with its decision, you can then formally challenge via its website.

If you've lived in your property for more than six months, you can still contact the VOA with evidence of why you think your band should be changed, and it will decide if it's enough to review your case.

Asking for a review is a different process than making a challenge. The VOA has told us it will be quicker and more efficient to ring it on 03000 501 501 if you're in England, or 03000 505 505 if you're in Wales. This is because you'll get to speak to an expert directly, who will help you with queries and explain the process.

However, you can also write a letter politely explaining: "I am writing to tell you I believe the council tax banding list of my property is incorrect, my house is in the wrong band, and I ask that you investigate to check, and correct it if it is in the wrong band." You will need to provide evidence along with your letter (for more, see the gov.uk guidance on how to challenge your council tax band).

Send your letter to: Valuation Office Agency, Customer Service Centre, Wycliffe House, Green Lane, Durham, DH1 3UW.

This has worked and does work, though there are no guarantees. It can need some perseverance and you may only get a band change going forward, but no backdated payout. See the council tax successes forum thread for details from many people who have pushed through this.

If it still doesn't help, you could complain to the Adjudicator's Office, which covers complaints about VOA administration (such as mistakes or misleading advice, not disagreements with its decision).
 Messages Author Date
 Appealing your council tax banding new Rudedog 1 Apr 19 21:27
 Appealing your council tax banding new R.P. 1 Apr 19 21:35
 Appealing your council tax banding new R.P. 1 Apr 19 21:38
 Appealing your council tax banding new Zero 1 Apr 19 22:22
 Appealing your council tax banding new Zero 1 Apr 19 22:25
 Appealing your council tax banding new No FM2R 1 Apr 19 22:27
 Appealing your council tax banding new Zero 1 Apr 19 22:29
 Appealing your council tax banding new bathtub tom 1 Apr 19 22:50
 Appealing your council tax banding new R.P. 1 Apr 19 22:50
 Appealing your council tax banding new Rudedog 1 Apr 19 23:02
 Appealing your council tax banding new CGNorwich 1 Apr 19 23:04