Computer Related > WiFI (Google Home) light switching Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 4

WiFI (Google Home) light switching - smokie
The apps I mentioned (bar Home) are just the manufacturer apps for devices I already have. IFTTT and MacDroid are among the ridiculously high number of installed apps on my phone but I've not got round to looking at them seriously yet. I'm curious how Sheets fits into it!

I made a couple of Pi cameras recently, their picture quality isn't great (well, it can be but the pic gets jerky) and tbh apart from watching the bird feeder and the cat feeding (can be done remotely) I couldn't think of much use for them. But having now dabbled I may well get some proper security cameras soon.

Much time has been wasted on the Perl project and associated stuff I mentioned on here some months back, where I directly gather my half hourly energy usage via APIs. I haven't even got that going successfully yet and there are subsequent stages to that which involve mapping solar power generation against usage, and building in actual costs of my variable tariff. People will be thinking it's rather sad but for me it's a hobby, albeit a frustrating one!!

The other project I just completed is a Raspberry VPN server for incoming connection to my LAN - which means not only can I log into my home network securely when away, but I do it as a "local" device (thereby having the ability to do stuff like manage the router fwiw). It also has an ad remover which acts as a DNS server and blocks the IP addresses of many ad servers, thereby significantly reducing the ads seen in browsers, and I am looking at putting the energy API program on it too. Oh, and in my spare moments I rebuilt my phone from Chinese version to a Global ROM o I can use "normal" stuff.

I don't spend too much time worrying about security. I can't really think that I'm worth hacking in to, and even if they can, I think my PC and it's data is reasonably secure, and I'm probably more at risk when out and about using the phone.
 Messages Author Date
 WiFI (Google Home) light switching new smokie 8 May 19 12:32
 WiFI (Google Home) light switching new sherlock47 8 May 19 19:06
 WiFI (Google Home) light switching new smokie 8 May 19 20:07
 WiFI (Google Home) light switching new sherlock47 9 May 19 06:36
 WiFI (Google Home) light switching new smokie 9 May 19 08:31
Latest Forum Posts