Non-motoring > Jointing compounds Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 15

Jointing compounds - legacylad
Several years ago, together with a builder pal, and a farmer with a digger, I changed a steep lawned area into 3 large tiered patio areas.
I made the big mistake of ‘ dot and dab’ instead of laying the stone flags onto a solid base. The patio stonework became unstable, mortar dropped out, water got under everywhere and I’m now lifting and re laying on a solid base. So far we’ve used 6 tonne bags of grit sand, 36 sacks of cement, and filled 3 mini skips with the old dot and dab mortar and jointing.
Once re laid, rather than the time honoured way of grouting between the Indian stone flags, I’m contemplating using a 2 part epoxy slurry. Far more expensive, but much quicker so a saving on my pals labour rates, and it will withstand the annual pressure washing far better. In theory.
Has anyone any experience of using this stuff....the YouTube videos of Nexus Projoint V75 are pretty impressive.
 Jointing compounds - Zero
Funny you should say that, just had Indian sandstone laid (complete with fossilised ferns in it)

It was laid to a compacted hardcore base, ground hardcore on top, then each slab was laid on a bed of mortar. They used "EasyJoint" Mushroom colour. Went in quickly and well, and loooks ace. Longevity? no idea they finished yesterday.

www.azpects.co.uk/products/easy-joint.aspx
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 10 Aug 19 at 15:50
 Jointing compounds - smokie
I had Indian sandstone stuff laid about 4 years ago. Amazingly fast piece of work and looked very good at first.

But the jointing stuff, whatever they used, is coming out in places and so I'll watch this thread with interest. I'm not about to dig the lot out, but I've done some of the worst bits just with cement and sand and it don't look so great!!! (Also did the same at the front, where the cars drive on and off, but it keeps going crumbly...someone said I need plasticiser)
My builder pal retired a few years ago, got bored, so returned to doing jobs for family and friends.
My Indian sandstone flags are a mixed bunch, varying sizes and thickness. A few are wafer thin. Others the complete opposite, so different levels of base material required to get the job looking right and a g3ntle fall into two long drains and consequently no pooling of water. Apparently these days they are of a uniform thickness, with three grooves on the underside to aid adhesion.
When cleaned, they are very attractive. Different colours, fossilised ferns etc,. Unfortunately they get grubby after several months, and my annual pressure washing often removes some of the pointing.
There are approaching 300 slabs over the 3 patio areas, and it would have taken the two of us quite a few days to do the pointing. Hopefully this Nexus Projoint V75 epoxy resin mortar system should do the job. It takes loads up to 7.5 tons so should be ok for my plastic furniture
I’ll let you know how it goes.
Mine is riven, not sawn and has about 20 groves per 1/2 sq metre on the back, where i think its been pierced apart, but is all of more or less uniform thickness.

I'm not likely to pressure wash, but wash and brush with a stiff yard broom, Not that precious about how it looks, its an area for use at the end of the day.
 Jointing compounds - CGNorwich
Personally I won’t buy the stuff. Very murky industry involving a lot of child labour. There is a reason why it’s so cheap.
Ideally, when I created the patios 12+ years ago, I would have used Yorkshire stone flags, but given the very extensive areas, I simply couldn’t afford the expense, so cheap Indian stone it was.
The jobs now complete...19 long working days between us, plus 3 days myself reducing the joint depth prior to using the very expensive Nexus ProJoint V75 2 part epoxy resin mortar @£49 bag x 8 bags. 72 bags of ecocem, 11 tons sand, plus sundry building materials. Glad I’ve got an excellent builders merchant locally who often deliver within the hour, and eternally grateful that I’m still fit and able to do the work myself....with help from my retired builder pal.
The Nexus wasn’t as easy to apply as per the videos due to the textured nature of the flags, but the finished job is very satisfactory ( to my untutored eye) and I highly recommend the product for jointing.

Point taken about the child labour CGN, but the cheap clothing industry probably isn’t much better.
Last edited by: legacylad on Wed 18 Sep 19 at 07:44
Do a bit of research.
 Jointing compounds - Bromptonaut
>> Point taken about the child labour CGN, but the cheap clothing industry probably isn’t much
>> better.

Child labour is child labour whether it's sewing garments or breaking rocks. The latter though may carry more risk....
 Jointing compounds - Duncan

>> Child labour is child labour whether it's sewing garments or breaking rocks

Are you helping them by giving them more work, or would it help them more if you gave them less work?

>> Are you helping them by giving them more work, or would it help them more
>> if you gave them less work?
>>
No doubt Victorian mill owners said much the same thing.

Just ask yourself if you think it right that six year old should be breaking stone with a club hammer. I rather hope you think the answer is “no”
Absolutely and as consumers we need to be a lot more aware where that cheap T shirt or bargain stone was produced.

Marshall’s have an accredited source scheme for imported stone.
Everything we currently own, our life style, our wealth is because of explotation, currently or historically, human or natural resources.

It has always been thus, and those historically exploited will go on to exploit others after them.

Exploitation? It's an evil but neccesary stepping stone to economic growth, for exploiters and the exploited
 Jointing compounds - Crankcase
Looks like one has to say goodbye to Nutella, or pretty much anything else that has hazelnuts in too.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-49741675

Jointing compounds - Ambo
As Turgenev put it, one man's happiness is bought at the expense of another.
>> Looks like one has to say goodbye to Nutella, or pretty much anything else that
>> has hazelnuts in too.
>>
>> www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-49741675
Nutella is a poor jointing compound anyway
Latest Forum Posts