Motoring Discussion > MINI - MINI Cooper S Clubman.
Thread Author: PeterS Replies: 8

MINI - MINI Cooper S Clubman. - PeterS
As a follow up to this, yesterday I borrowed the JCW Clubman demo car from my local dealer... it’s got 306 PS vs the 192 of ours, 4 wheel drive compared to front and an 8 speed auto compared to the 7 speed DSG box. Ours also has 19” wheels with adaptive suspension - the demo car had standard suspension and 19” wheels. But, it did have the Harman Kardon sound system that I didn’t spec.

So, a few thoughts...

It’s quick, much quicker (as you’d expect) and sounds far better. A nice raspy exhaust sound with the right number of pops and crackles in sport mode. A bit quieter in mid, which is fine. The four wheel drive really improves the way the car drives - even with ‘just’ 192 PS it’s all too easy to overcome the traction in ours, especially at junctions and in the damp. Epic torque steer can be provoked. All gone in the JCW, though it will run out of grip perhaps sooner than you’d expect. It also doesn’t brake as well as you think is should, though I’ll caveat that with the fact the demo car had only done 900 miles.

The 8 speed box is very different to the DSG one; in sport the DSG ‘box changes down much quicker when you put your foot down at low to mid speeds. But when cruising it’s remarkably reluctant to change down. The 8 speed was slower to change down at lower speeds, but too keen to change down on dual carriageways when I only moved the accelerator slightly.

I prefer the ride on the adaptive damper in ‘mid’ mode. Slightly softer than the suspension in the JCW. In sport the adaptive dampers are much harder than the JCW on standard suspension. I rarely use this setting!

Other thoughts? Both cars have panoramic roofs. Needed in the JCW to lighten the dark interior - the only option is black, either recaros in faux leather/alcantara (the demo car) or optional lounge leather. The recaros were comfortable and grippy. Both had the Nav plus pack; the JCW had a cheaper feeling I drive controller though, reminiscent of that in MINIs with standard nav. The HK audio did sound better, but not sure it’s £600 better...

Those are my slightly unstructured thoughts after a couple of hours and 60odd miles of mainly narrow, windy and reasonably lightly trafficked country roads!
 Messages Author Date
 MINI - MINI Cooper S Clubman.  new PeterS 17 Aug 19 21:01
 MINI - MINI Cooper S Clubman.  new Netsur 17 Aug 19 22:09
 MINI - MINI Cooper S Clubman new PeterS 17 Aug 19 22:55
 MINI - MINI Cooper S Clubman new Netsur 18 Aug 19 12:33
 MINI - MINI Cooper S Clubman new DP 19 Aug 19 11:41
 MINI - MINI Cooper S Clubman new PeterS 19 Aug 19 20:00
 MINI - MINI Cooper S Clubman.  new PeterS 9 Sep 19 19:03
 MINI - MINI Cooper S Clubman.  new PeterS 24 Aug 19 10:48
 MINI - MINI Cooper S Clubman.  new PeterS 14 Oct 20 20:36
Latest Forum Posts