Motoring Discussion > MINI - MINI Cooper S Clubman.
Thread Author: PeterS Replies: 8

MINI - MINI Cooper S Clubman. - PeterS
Slightly late (well, about 3 months...) a quick update on the MINIs second year. Serviced in August on a time not mileage basis; it had only done 11k miles by then. My travel over winter, followed almost immediately by lockdown, meant that mileage in the last year was low. It spent much of the time parked at LHR, but despite that remained undamaged. T3 valet parking was the usual service, but tracking it on the MINI connected app the car never left the airport.

Really not a lot to report. The first service cost £279, including the micro filter. £229 without, but for the sake of £50 I thought I’d follow the schedule to the letter as it was still under warranty. No faults, no rattles, no issues. It used no oil, and has averaged 38.2 mpg over the two years (OBC, unverified). Shortly after delivery I replaced the 18” 521 ‘Star’ wheels the car came with with 19” John Cooper Works 526 radial wheels. Purely for cosmetic reasons really...I ordered the car with black 18” wheels, and didn’t really like them. The new wheels came with 225/35/19 Bridgestone runflats, which are harsh. Very reminiscent of those fitted to a 535d I had back in 2005. The fronts were down to 4mm while the backs were still 6mm, so against advice I had them swapped front to rear so that in a few more thousand miles I can replace the whole set with some non runflat Michelins. The car has adaptive dampers fortunately, which means in comfort setting they’re about 10% less stiff than the conventionally suspended Clubman, but in Sport 10% firmer. What 10% softer or firmer actually means I don’t know. It’s fine in comfort, harsh in sport - more so than on the 18” wheels.

It’s a practical car...I’ve had a paddle board in it well, sticking out the back anyway. The “barn’ doors are helpful for that. I’ve now got some Thule roofbars which work well for carrying the board, though I only really take it locally. Bikes fit in the back with the seats down easily enough. It’s also had half a scaffolding tower in the boot, with boards and associated bits and pieces. It’d have taken more. Galvanised steel...it’s quite old...was my grandfathers...so heavy. Car coped fine. It’s also comfortable for up to 4...a 3rd in the rear is tight.

Spec wise ours was pretty heavily optioned, but I don’t regret any of them bar the £100 spent on black wheels that were quickly changed. In fact having had adaptive cruise on the Merc now for over a year, I’m beginning to think that not selecting that (one of two big ticket options I ignored, the other being a HUD) might have been a mistake. But, it was £800 which is a lot. I wouldn’t even change the colour choice...melting silver, black roof, ‘sports’ stripes, privacy glass and stone (grey/cream) leather. I think it’s a good looking car.

It’s now 27 months old and has done 13,000 miles. It’ll be with me for the foreseeable future...comfortable, practical, quick enough and well equipped.
 Messages Author Date
 MINI - MINI Cooper S Clubman.   PeterS 17 Aug 19 21:01
 MINI - MINI Cooper S Clubman.   Netsur 17 Aug 19 22:09
 MINI - MINI Cooper S Clubman  PeterS 17 Aug 19 22:55
 MINI - MINI Cooper S Clubman  Netsur 18 Aug 19 12:33
 MINI - MINI Cooper S Clubman  DP 19 Aug 19 11:41
 MINI - MINI Cooper S Clubman  PeterS 19 Aug 19 20:00
 MINI - MINI Cooper S Clubman.   PeterS 9 Sep 19 19:03
 MINI - MINI Cooper S Clubman.   PeterS 24 Aug 19 10:48
 MINI - MINI Cooper S Clubman.   PeterS 14 Oct 20 20:36
Latest Forum Posts