Non-motoring > Just wondering... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 9

Just wondering... - Ambo
We have at least three smart, all-purpose ethnic minority groups. Of these, Indians and Jews are well represented in Parliament but why not Chinese?
 Just wondering... - Bromptonaut
>> We have at least three smart, all-purpose ethnic minority groups. Of these, Indians and Jews
>> are well represented in Parliament but why not Chinese?

I'm trying to understand the meaning of smart, all purpose ethnic minority groups. Can Ambo clarify?

I don't think there is any official record of the ethnicity of members of Lords or Commons, nor of their religion. Wikipedia however list Alan Mak, Havant (C), as being first MP of Chinese/East Asian heritage to be elected. In my mind that there are a couple of Lords from that heritage too but I may be wrong.

In order to be elected to Commons you first need to be selected a prospective candidate in a winnable seat. Are there active members of the UK Chinese community in the main parties?

Just wondering... - No FM2R

>> I'm trying to understand the meaning of smart, all purpose ethnic minority groups. Can Ambo
>> clarify?

I don't know. Why not ask him? It would seem more likely to obtain an answer than asking everyone else?
That's why I've said 'can Ambo clarify'.

The question is for him though anyone else is welcome to chip in.
Would not "you" have been both clearer and more appropriate?
Though I will say that whilst I dislike this habit of referring to people in the third person, you do have a point.

>>three smart, all-purpose ethnic minority groups

What do you mean by that, Ambo? Are there "stupid" or "one-purpose" ethnic minority groups?
 Just wondering... - Ambo
Smart - clever.

All-purpose - they are well represented in almost all areas of our society but politics seem not to appeal to the Chinese or sport to Jews (as far as I know, although sport is not an area of interest to me) .

"Ethic minority" presumably needs no explanation.
>> Smart - clever.

That seems rather close to saying that some ethnic groups are not smart or clever.

Why people in UK Chinese community appear not to get involved in politics, or at least not in a way where they attain elected office, would be a good subject for research. Is it cultural so that they don't put themselves forward? Are the main political parties not selecting them in winnable seats?

Wikipedia suggests there are a significant number of jewish sports men and women.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Jews_in_sports
 Just wondering... - Lygonos
I guess Afro-Caribbeans aren't one of your smart groups, Ambo?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECWTCsUx62s
Last edited by: Lygonos on Wed 11 Sep 19 at 23:23
>> In my mind that there are a couple of Lords from that heritage too but I may be wrong.

There was Michael Chan, he died. I think now there is only Nat Wei.

Wasn't there also some woman who got into a pickle over Hong Kong? I think she quit, but I don't remember the details, or her name.
Latest Forum Posts