Motoring Discussion > Green number plates ? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 37

Green number plates ? - henry k
www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50122268
 Green number plates ? - VxFan
April 1st gets earlier each year.
 Green number plates ? - No FM2R
I've never understood the British obsession with number plates and registration numbers.

What colour should it be? Can I make it look like a word? Can I get a vanity plate? Which flag should I have on it? Etc etc.

Harmless of course, and not something that bothers me, but it is a strange obsession which you don't really see elsewhere.

It can be a pink hexagon with hieroglyphics for all I care. Just a necessary part of Government control.
 Green number plates ? - Kevin
>What colour should it be?

Green number plates will highlight which vehicles XR should vandalise last.
Last edited by: Kevin on Tue 22 Oct 19 at 02:34
XR UK has rather lot of money. It is using it to sponsor other XR groups around the world.

It has sent out seed money of £5,000 to many of the "branches". It has promised a further £50,000 to those branches that make the best of the seed.

They stated that a significant performance measure for award of the further money will be the number of people arrested. Which gives you some idea of the mindset.

This is not something I read. It is something I know.
 Green number plates ? - Zero
>> XR UK has rather lot of money. It is using it to sponsor other XR
>> groups around the world.

Most of it has come from the states, where ironically XR is least effective.

>> Harmless of course, and not something that bothers me, but it is a strange obsession
>> which you don't really see elsewhere.

Apart from the states.
 Green number plates ? - R.P.
My Dutch friend does laugh at our little number plate obsessions, it's got worse since Roads Policing al but disappeared.

Zero's right as well.
Last edited by: R.P. on Tue 22 Oct 19 at 10:18
 Green number plates ? - zippy
On the news they said that it would be up to local councils to decide if the green number plated cars would be allowed to use bus lanes, get free or discounted parking etc.

What a hash up! If it’s down to the councils, rules will vary between one road and the next and no one will know what they are allowed to do or not.
 Green number plates ? - R.P.
It's a right hotch potch ! I can ride in some Bus Lanes but not in others - should be standard across the UK>
 Green number plates ? - Haywain
"It's a right hotch potch "

We need the EU to help us with such complex decision making; we should never have left.
 Green number plates ? - Dog
>>we should never have left.

I wasn't aware that we had, yet.
 Green number plates ? - Bromptonaut
>> What a hash up! If it’s down to the councils, rules will vary between one
>> road and the next and no one will know what they are allowed to do
>> or not.

Flip side is if you can't let councils deal with parking and road lines what can they do?

Bus lanes already vary as to whether other users, including taxis, bikes and multi-occupancy vehicles can use them. So long as there is an approved variation to the bus lane sign to cover electric vehicles (as for bikes) then we should be clear what is allowed and what is not. Same with car parks.

It might be frustrating but it shouldn't be confusing.
>>Apart from the states.

You certainly see personalised plates in the US, but they're not obsessive about it. It's not even very widespread.

They do like their State insignia though.
 Green number plates ? - smokie
I just followed an old Fiat 500 with the reg number F147 SOO. Not overly impressive but certainly clever.
You will not be surprised I have a personal plate, its my dogs name more or less perfectly (a 3 for an e) and cost me a paltry 175 quid plus transfer fee for a 65 vintage AN-AAA
 Green number plates ? - Runfer D'Hills
>> You will not be surprised I have a personal plate...

No, not surprised at all.
;-)
 Green number plates ? - tyrednemotional
...sounds more like his dog's got a personal plate......

(What do you buy the man that's got everything...?)
My brother has X3 + his initials for his X3! His wife got it for him as an Xmas present. It cost about £250.

I'm not bothered but I know my daughter would like one after one of her uni friends got EM1LY or something similar (cant recall it exactly) from her parents.

I have looked in all formats with no luck. I guess someone already has it.
 Green number plates ? - Maisie's Dad
It's quite popular here in Western Australia. You can get plates in all colours.
plateswa.com/#/
Good Lord, have you seen the cost of them? I can get a pair of fancy plates in the uk for 9 quid
 Green number plates ? - BiggerBadderDave
I don't see many private plates in Poland but if you want one, it has to start with the town you're registered to (WA here for Warsaw) then a space, then up to any 5 letters or numbers you like. I was watching a Range Rover parking in Lidl this afternoon - WA NANNY. And she was one, I recognised her from when I used to do school runs.

I'm so tempted to do it myself. Pick 5 letters that mean something dear to me, for example, NKERS.

If I had that plate I'd drive it straight to the UK. Offending thousands and thousands of people would make me the happiest man in the world.

FFS, why haven't I already done it?
 Green number plates ? - Manatee
I thought it was a joke.

The more stupid the electorate is, the more of this carp we will get.

It can all be done with tech just like the ULEZ etc. No need for green plates and the next thing will be the anarchists who pile into any legitimate protest movement vandalising cars in the name of 'extinction rebellion' or some other cause.
 Green number plates ? - tyrednemotional
>>
>> It can all be done with tech just like the ULEZ etc.
>>

...given the probable black market in green number plates, it will still have to be.....

;-)
 Green number plates ? - Crankcase

>>
>> ...given the probable black market in green number plates, it will still have to be.....
>>
>> ;-)

And if the old one is recycled, there'll be a probable green market in black number plates...
 Green number plates ? - Bobby
As with many subjects now, the story is irrelevant int he big picture.

The big picture is it has made news bulletins, talk shows, phone ins and forums all across the country.

Great exposure for the electric vehicle industry.

Similar to the press release from a man sitting in a cupboard saying it will be the worse winter ever - no one cares whi broke the story or how authentic it is, it gets folk talking and buying !
 Green number plates ? - Rudedog
Really like the German system of a number registered to you, plus I like their pressed plates (I would get one if you didn't have to send original docs through the post).

You would think it was such an easy 'pull' for the police when they see a car that has obviously messed with the layout of a plate, the other day a police car was next to me and sitting right behind a brand new RR Sport with black/silver plates, as far as I know this is a big no no, just drove off without a word.

Green number plates ? - Netsur
And I'll bet the RR had blacked out windows; also a No No, but totally ignored it seems even at MoT time.

No one has a the perfect system for number plates but I can't help thinking that ours is not the most sensible.
Here the actual registration number is assigned by the RC and there is no choice or option. The license plate is assigned to a person/vehicle combination and is issued to you with papers also by the RC.

Black/white = private car, orange/black = taxi/hire, blue/white = CD, red/white = trailer etc. etc.

You cannot buy a replacement plate if yours is lost or damaged, you must go to the RC and apply for a new one.

The plates are securely anchored to the car to avoid theft.

It's all very strict.
 Green number plates ? - sooty123
Black/white = private car, orange/black = taxi/hire, blue/white = CD, red/white = trailer etc. etc.
>>
>

CD ?
 Green number plates ? - Duncan

>> CD ?
>>

Corps Diplomatique.
Sorry, yes
 Green number plates ? - sooty123
>> Sorry, yes
>>

I thought it might be but the first letter threw me.
Saw a VW UP GTI on Tuesday with the registration WU55 UPS

Made me smile, wryly.
 Green number plates ? - Robin O'Reliant
A guy I know has CUXXX UNT on a Vectra.

I'm surprised that was issued,
 Green number plates ? - Bromptonaut
>> A guy I know has CUXXX UNT on a Vectra.
>>
>> I'm surprised that was issued,

So am I. DVLA usually err on side of 'prude' if anything rude is suggested. IIRC there was incident some years ago where one got past them and there was a fuss when they tried to cancel it.
 Green number plates ? - VxFan
>> I'm surprised that was issued,

In a moment of boredom, I just found two vehicles that were registered. A white Ford, and a Red Honda.

One is currently SORN, the other untaxed since June 2016.
 Green number plates ? - Robin O'Reliant
I think the Vectra has been recently scrapped as I've seen the guy in question driving something else recently. I wish I'd known as I'd have made him an offer for the plate.
Latest Forum Posts