Motoring Discussion > Another for a Darwin award ? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 46

Another for a Darwin award ? - henry k
Quote from the DT

"Stupid" learner arrested after driving solo to test.
r
......The man had failed his test for the 10th time before police arrived at the test centre in Great Barr, Birmingham at about 11am yesterday (23 October )
" Welcome to the world of stupid" a police officer tweeted from the scene.
" Male turns up at the driving test centre for his driving test.Having driven himself there unsupervised"
The driver of the white Mitsubishi was detained by West Midlands Police on suspicion of taking a vehicle without the owner's consent.
 Another for a Darwin award ? - Haywain
Whilst the subject of this post is indeed stupid, he would have had to kill himself (hitting a tree while driving to the test centre?) and exit the gene pool in order to earn a Darwin Award.
 Another for a Darwin award ? - Zero
>> Whilst the subject of this post is indeed stupid, he would have had to kill
>> himself (hitting a tree while driving to the test centre?) and exit the gene pool
>> in order to earn a Darwin Award.

This bloke meets your criteria, not sure it can be beaten

(you have been warned clearly the bloke dies)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qAW6UsjZrc
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 25 Oct 19 at 16:45
This fella tried three times
www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fHFPg5oGg8

Outcome not reported .
 Another for a Darwin award ? - Robin O'Reliant
People turning up for tests unaccompanied was not uncommon in my day. Examiners would refuse to take them and call police.
 Cornish carwash - Dog
players.brightcove.net/pages/v1/index.html?accountId=4221396001&playerId=default&videoId=6098889137001&autoplay=true
 Another for a Darwin award ? - sooty123
>> This fella tried three times
>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fHFPg5oGg8
>>
>> Outcome not reported .
>>

I know I probably shouldn't laugh but that did make me laugh out loud.

Some people eh?
Last edited by: sooty123 on Sat 2 Nov 19 at 12:30
 Another for a Darwin award ? - smokie
www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-hampshire-50266218/isle-of-wight-waves-almost-drag-man-and-child-into-sea
 Another for a Darwin award ? - No FM2R
What a b***** idiot.
 Another for a Darwin award ? - Bromptonaut
>> www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-hampshire-50266218/isle-of-wight-waves-almost-drag-man-and-child-into-sea

Not just the tow from waves. A sea like that can turn pebbles into projectiles.

OTOH it used to be a common thing to dodge the waves on foreshores like that. Indeed I've stood and done so as a kid 50+ years ago only a handful of yards west of site of that picture - but when there was a bit of a wind/swell not in a storm and spring tide as is running in that vid.

Similar on the Albert/Marine Drive in Scarborough, either on foot or in maternal uncle's car. Again though not in serious storms. Nowadays they close the road if there are major waves crashing onto road.

IIRC somebody got dragged into sea and killed about 25 years ago.
"OTOH it used to be a common thing to dodge the waves on foreshores like that. Indeed I've stood and done so as a kid "

Yes, as a kid, but not WITH a kid!!!
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-50810196

Another for a Darwin award ? - CGNorwich
Inhaling to get high I suspect. Known by the yoof as “Glading”
>> Inhaling to get high I suspect. Known by the yoof as “Glading”
>>
Thanks for the details.
The Urban dictionary describes it in graphic detail.
I live on another planet :-(

Another for a Darwin award ? - CGNorwich
I’m sure it’s a better planet.
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Mon 16 Dec 19 at 18:04
>> Inhaling to get high I suspect. Known by the yoof as “Glading”
>>
Innocent of that act but guilty of using an Alpha Power Blast air freshener with a “new car” scent.
without full caution
www.thesun.co.uk/news/10606949/car-blew-up-fag-air-freshener-lucky/
 Another for a Darwin award ? - MD
Going down. Mind the Gap.
 Another for a Darwin award ? - tyrednemotional
...well qualified, I think....

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-51602655
 Another for a Darwin award ? - zippy
>> ...well qualified, I think....
>>
>> www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-51602655
>>

As he was a "flat earther" I expect some conspiracy nuts to suggest that his crash was engineered by NASA or the likes.
Now forgive me for being thick or summat, but cofuzed I is. He spent a load of money and time (and his life) to get to 5000 feet and prove the earth was flat. Wouldnt it have been easier, cheaper & marginally safer to take a Southwest Airlines flight and check it out from 30,000 feet?
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 23 Feb 20 at 14:09
 Another for a Darwin award ? - zippy
I read that they believe the ajr-lines are in cahoots with the Govt. to further the myth.

Strapped to a weather balloon and a parachute would have been the safest non-aeroplane option.
 Another for a Darwin award ? - Dave_
Flat Earthers have a deep suspicion of anything they haven't seen with their own eyes.

If they were to take a commercial flight they would be convinced the "system" was falsely engineering some kind of curved horizon to trick them, using high resolution screens in the windows or some such.

There was an item on this topic on This Morning last week, I am reliably informed. Snippet here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=wClJlarfyhE

>> As he was a "flat earther" ,......

If it's the guy I'm thinking of, then he wasn't a flat earther. He was doing what he wanted to do and allowed the Flat Earth people to adopt him in return for sponsorship.
 Another for a Darwin award ? - sherlock47
Another group of believers.....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=erA3WQE9Zes

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jan/17/fiance-jailed-for-bomb-hoax-call-to-delay-flight-in-romantic-getaway

Due to catch a flight from Gatwick to Marrakesh. Running late so makes 999 call saying there's a bomb on board to get it delayed.

Makes call from his own mobile (ie number can be traced).
I think the Darwin Award is only awarded posthumously.

But omigod what a dick.
>> I think the Darwin Award is only awarded posthumously.

I agree. On a strict definition it involves elimination from the gene pool.

Is there a similar shorthand term for non fatal terminal stupidity?
Is there a similar shorthand term for non fatal terminal stupidity?
>>

Yes, it's called being a d head.
 Another for a Darwin award ? - BiggerBadderDave
"But omigod what a dick."

Not the first time I've been told that.
 Another for a Darwin award ? - Fullchat
This one to the weapons grade muppet filming rather than the driver of the offending vehicle.

www.belfastlive.co.uk/news/belfast-news/couple-stunned-watch-car-drive-17845387?fbclid=IwAR13zhl_t43vBu8_BPnBuagezTSCd-5Hu6h3Dkd_wZlJWM0MLHaQnLMTFk0
 Another for a Darwin award ? - Bobby
Darwin or Karma?
www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/news/18730285.man-dead-fire-greenock-petrol-bomb-house-attack/
An odd statement from the Police:

Enquiries continue - however, at this time, the death is not believed to be suspicious and officers are not looking for anyone else in connection with this.

I would have thought an attempted firebombing was very suspicious and that motive would be explored in detail.
Nothing odd about the death itself, fairly straight forward. If you mean why was he there, that's a separate matter. Or perhaps they've already worked out why he was there.
>> Nothing odd about the death itself, fairly straight forward. If you mean why was he
>> there, that's a separate matter. Or perhaps they've already worked out why he was there.

I would have thought self immolation, intended or not, is a bit odd.

The thing about 'not believed to be suspicious' is that its common usage implies suicide, or at least the intent of self harm. But perhaps that's actually what the police believe and it's less karma/Darwin than we think.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Fri 18 Sep 20 at 09:31
 Another for a Darwin award ? - Bobby
Wonder if he will get buried or cremated?
 Another for a Darwin award ? - Fullchat
"....not believed to be suspicious."

Purely relates to he fact that he has not come to harm as a result of third party involvement.
>> Wonder if he will get ....... cremated?
>>

...would that be "Ashes to Ashes".....?
A Darwin trainee. Wasnt killed, lord knows why. www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-54217327
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 19 Sep 20 at 18:18
 Another for a Darwin award ? - Boxsterboy
That photo of a centre console (assuming it is the actual car involved) is of a BMW. I'll say no more Z...
 Another for a Darwin award ? - PeterS
It certainly looks like an E46 3 series dashboard, but that’s not standard BMW seat upholstery!
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-54760265
Essex BOYS !

They were rounded out. :-(
Rounded out

What do you mean?
I read that earlier. Not sure what to make of the fire chief's comment

"It was a difficult site to access and we had to carry a lot of heavy equipment a large distance from the appliances to the tumble dryer and then use our expertise to free the men safely."

Undoubtedly true and I always admire the bravery of the fire service on the front line but that statement sounded more like part of a rather poor job interview to me.
Last edited by: smokie on Sat 31 Oct 20 at 19:29
 Another for a Darwin award ? - Kevin
'..Fire service watch manager Glenn Jackson said crews had to help the third man into the tumble dryer before being able to remove the door and release all three.

"We used a range of equipment to free the casualty's ankles and allow him to crawl into the tumble dryer," he said..'

Range of equipment? A pair of size thirteens?!
>>
>> Range of equipment? A pair of size thirteens?!
>>

...if they were anything like the Fire Service round here, it would have at least been the full "car roof removal" kit.

What's the point of boy's toys if you don't use them?

;-)'
 Another for a Darwin award ? - R.P.
They have their ways of doing things, and then have a way of providing a narrative ..
Last edited by: R.P. on Sat 31 Oct 20 at 21:53
now this is darwinism at its very best

Man pays to have a leopard rip his head off.

us.cnn.com/2020/10/31/us/florida-man-leopard-mauled-trnd/index.html
Latest Forum Posts