Motoring Discussion > Driving in Kenya Miscellaneous
Thread Author: PeterS Replies: 13

Driving in Kenya - PeterS
I’m in Kenya at the moment...I felt the need to do something to occupy myself, and the opportunity came up to do a bit of work out here for a few months. It’s a similar time zone to the U.K., so easy to keep in touch with friends and family, which is important to me right now, and also easy enough to fly back every few weekends (the flight times make it easy to have a weekend in the U.K. without taking more than a couple of days off).

I’m staying in a very nice hotel, and I’ve got a driver. But, it’s a bit restrictive having to rely on someone else for transport all the time. I’m not in Nairobi, but up near Mount Kenya. Sometimes I’ll go to Lake Naivasha. Maybe only 100 miles, though likely 4 hours given the state of roads out here off the main ones. I’ve got the general vibe of driving here, which is to say use whichever bit of the road is least potholed, and when overtaking people ‘make room’ for an extra couple of lanes. So it doesn’t bother me, and I’d consider myself an more observant than most kind of driver, and a pretty good judge of risk. But I wouldn’t drive in India, despite having been there plenty of times.

So the question is, am I letting my frustration at being ‘constrained’ and my desire to be in control overrule common sense! If I do drive I’ll be provided with either a Nissan Patrol or Toyota something or other. So not a rickety cobbled together 15th hand poorly maintained ex Japanese import. A driver will still be available to take me to Nairobi and the airport and so on. So what would you do? Continue to be driven, or drive yourself?
 Messages Author Date
 Driving in Kenya new PeterS 18 Nov 19 16:51
 Driving in Kenya new Bromptonaut 18 Nov 19 17:29
 Driving in Kenya new PeterS 18 Nov 19 18:09
 Driving in Kenya new sooty123 18 Nov 19 18:56
 Driving in Kenya new James T 18 Nov 19 21:39
 Driving in Kenya new Runfer D'Hills 18 Nov 19 22:23
 Driving in Kenya new PeterS 19 Nov 19 05:34
 Driving in Kenya new No FM2R 18 Nov 19 22:02
 Driving in Kenya new Runfer D'Hills 18 Nov 19 22:25
 Driving in Kenya new PeterS 19 Nov 19 05:32
 Driving in Kenya new James T 19 Nov 19 07:34