Non-motoring > Replacing battery on Dyson handheld Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Rudedog Replies: 19

Replacing battery on Dyson handheld - Rudedog
I've watched the official video from Dyson so it looks quite straight forward, but I was wondering if anybody on here has done it and what replacement battery they used? Did you stick with the, I guess expensive Dyson pack, or find a good aftermarket one?

Replacing battery on Dyson handheld - Zero
I'd go for a good for a good second hand pack, or if you are good with a soldering iron replace the cells in the pack you have. Any money you like they are 18650 cells, get some good branded ones and refresh the pack.
 Replacing battery on Dyson handheld - smokie
Our Dyson seems to be working less well and in my readings yesterday I was persuaded of how much better the Xiaomi Dreame V9 stick cleaners are than Dyson, as well as being a lot cheaper. The purchasing process may not be everyone's cup of tea although I think I saw a UK supplier somewhere.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJP7kTZ-Lhs

>> well as being a lot cheaper. The purchasing process may not be everyone's cup of
>> tea although I think I saw a UK supplier somewhere.

You need look no further than amazon.
 Replacing battery on Dyson handheld - Clk Sec
>>Our Dyson seems to be working less well

Ours never did work well. I was overjoyed when Mrs CS gave me permission to bin the wretched thing.

Fortunately we kept the two Orecks we've had for years.
 Replacing battery on Dyson handheld - Bobby
That Dreame V9 looks interesting.

Whatever model I get, I need the small attachments to be motorised you pick up Labrador hair.
And lots of it!
Nothing clogs up the see through spinning vortex thing faster than goldie locks. It glitters in the air in sunlight when she shakes, and we get tumbleweeds of it rolling gently down the hall in the breeze
Sounds familiar!

Not helped that I mostly wear dark clothes and certainly always dark trousers.
There is a household tips site called Mrs Hinch or somesuch ( - SWMBO goes there not me!!) where she has got the tip of using a window cleaning blade for lifting cat hair from carpet. She picked up one in Poundland and apparently it's pretty good.
 Replacing battery on Dyson handheld - Fullchat
How much? :)
two quid,, inflation you know
 Replacing battery on Dyson handheld - VxFan
>> two quid,, inflation you know

Could have cost more than that as Poundland also have a £5 range of stuff now.
Twas a quid, and is quite a long blade. Poundland are OK for some stuff but I wouldn't go out of my way for it.

I just took back a bundle of bungee ropes to Screwfix, they were 16 varied sizes for £4.99, but the Poundland ones at 2 for £1 are better value. Larger hooks and they've held down my garden furniture covers throughout the winter without breaking.
In Beverley nearby, Left to Right Poundland, Poundstretcher and Halfords.

B&M have built a unit on the Left and both Poundland and Stretcher have closed down. halfords survives :)
Smokie did you buy the Dreame V9?
Nah, she's OK with the Dyson for now but has agreed to get the V9 next.
 Replacing battery on Dyson handheld - sherlock47
Worth reading the link below -

Just one quote however:
I’m just going to leave this here. Everything is quoted directly from samsung in their datasheets.

“Don’t heat partial area of the battery with heated objects such as soldering iron.”

“Don’t solder on the battery directly.”

“The cell should not be soldered directly with other cells. Namely, the cell should be welded with leads on its terminal and then be soldered with wire or leads to solder.”

And consequently:

“Otherwise, it may cause damage of component, such as separator and insulator, by heat generation.”

Keep in mind that there is plastic directly in contact with these components you solder and giving excessive heat WILL cause damage. That is undeniable. There is potential to melt the separator and cause an internal short no matter how brief you solder cells.

These are NOT like soldering lipos, as those have heatsinks temporarily placed between the tabs and the cell during soldering to prevent damage.

www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/the-proper-way-to-solder-18650-cells/86878

But not saying that I wouldn't do it :)
Last edited by: sherlock47 on Sun 23 Feb 20 at 17:57
Done it twice. Given the handhelds a new lease of life. Amazon or Ebay for sourcing.
 Replacing battery on Dyson handheld - Rudedog
Did you buy a proper Dyson replacement or an aftermarket?

I don't have a problem with aftermarket as long as the quality is similar, I know for the (hopefully) lower cost there will be some differences.

Often do this with car parts especially once I've found out who actually makes the OEM parts and then buy directly from that maker.

Replacing battery on Dyson handheld - Manatee
I've an old Bosch battery drill/driver with two 7.2V 1300mAh NiCd batteries, one of which appeared to have died. Bosch don't make them any more so recently I ordered a compatible replacement, a 3000mAh NiMh (the charger is a multi voltage thing that is supposed to work for either chemistry).

It seems fine, but it's about twice the size...

The dead one must have had a mucky contact because it is now charging up again. Must be 20 years old.
Latest Forum Posts