Non-motoring > Hornets Miscellaneous
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 30

Hornets - zippy
The next issue to strike at chez Zippy are hornets.

Two huge ones came in though the open bi-fold doors to the lounge and one was trying to get in to the kitchen but the bi-folds there were closed.

Each one about 2 inches long.

I did manage to dispatch them but need to be very careful as I am allergic to stings and my epi-pen has expired.

Need to find the nest tomorrow - if possible then get the council out.

Hornets - smokie
"get the council out."

Your council may not do it, and it's unlikely to be free even if they do.
 Hornets - zippy
>> "get the council out."
>>
>> Your council may not do it, and it's unlikely to be free even if they
>> do.
>>

They do it but we need to find the nest first.

It’s certainly not cheap at £85.

I’m hoping it was just a passing swarm.
 Hornets - VxFan
>> It’s certainly not cheap at £85.

Go on somewhere like Facebook, and some of the local groups to your area. Chances are you'll find someone at least 50% cheaper than that, that someone else has used and can recommend.
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 13 Aug 20 at 02:30
 Hornets - CGNorwich
Hornets are not two inches long . 2.5 cms max. Seeing a couple does not mean there is a nest nearby and even if there is it will not necessarily be a problem. Hornets are not particularly aggressive unless disturbed ,less so than wasps. They can usually simply be ignored and left alone to get on with their lives
 Hornets - Bromptonaut
Some sources say up to 3.5cm for the European Hornet:

www.wildlifetrusts.org/wildlife-explorer/invertebrates/bees-and-wasps/hornet

As CG says though they're not usually aggressive.

Whilst on holiday in France we saw some truly enormous insects with markings like a Wasp/Hornet. Whether they were really 'stingers' or just wanted us to think they were I do not know.
 Hornets - Falkirk Bairn
In the loft we had a wasp's nest 15 years ago - it was 3 feet across. Chap came sprayed it and a week later I cut it in half and filled 2 x black sacks. Dead wasps filled the vacuum cleaner several times. IIRC £40.

We have had more nests - a few puffs of ant powder at the entrance does the trick. A few get it on their bodies and then take it into the nest - job done.
 Hornets - Manatee
>> - a few puffs of ant powder at the entrance
>> does the trick. A few get it on their bodies and then take it into
>> the nest - job done.

In my limited experience of this (2 nests) you need to be well protected or have a good escape route before puffing. I wouldn't like to be trapped in a loft with a load of angry wasps. It does work however. Absolutely lethal to them, poor devils.

Now I think about it the one that resulted in me being surrounded and chased by angry wasps was the one I squirted liquid ant killer into. Couldn't really blame them.

I leave them alone if I can.
Last edited by: Manatee on Thu 13 Aug 20 at 10:48
 Hornets - VxFan
>> In my limited experience of this (2 nests) you need to be well protected or
>> have a good escape route before puffing.

You need to do it in the evening when they're more docile as it's generally cooler (not at the moment though) and getting dark.
 Hornets - CGNorwich
3.5cm would be a queen and might be seen around in the spring when looking for a nest.

By the way there’s a great 3D Google image of a hornet online. Makes a great scary video!
 Hornets - Ambo
I think the European or Asian varieties may be notifiable, chiefly owing to their killing off of bees. Your local authority should know.

There is free elimination of hornets (frelons) in France. The fire brigade fix them.

Hornets - Duncan

>> There is free elimination of hornets (frelons) in France. The fire brigade fix them.
>>

That's useful to know.
 Hornets - Zero
>>
>> >> There is free elimination of hornets (frelons) in France. The fire brigade fix them.
>> >>
>>
>> That's useful to know.

yes if I get un nid de frelons in my Surrey estate, I shall dial 911 and call the pompiers, I hope their fire engine fits on the euro tunnel
 Hornets - CGNorwich
Sorry, Now we are out of the EU the reciprocal treaty on removal of annoying and vexatious insects no longer applies. You need to check out WTO rules.
 Hornets - Zero
>> Sorry, Now we are out of the EU the reciprocal treaty on removal of annoying
>> and vexatious insects no longer applies. You need to check out WTO rules.

WTO? Wasp Take Over?
 Hornets - Bromptonaut
>> I think the European or Asian varieties may be notifiable, chiefly owing to their killing
>> off of bees. Your local authority should know.

It looks like the Asian variety is the notifiable interloper and that the European version is native:

www.wildlifetrusts.org/wildlife/how-identify/know-your-hornets

Hornets - Runfer D'Hills
I had a Wolseley Hornet. Rust killed that.
;-)
 Hornets - Bromptonaut
>> I had a Wolseley Hornet. Rust killed that.
>> ;-)

My Aunt had one which her husband kept in top notch condition. It was still going well at 10 years old when an older family member gave up driving and offered her, free, his newer but bog standard Mini. Could not refuse for fear of offence.....
 Hornets - Duncan
>> My Aunt had one which her husband kept in top notch condition.

Why don't you call your Aunt's husband, your Uncle?

Was his name ROBERT!!!
Last edited by: Duncan on Thu 13 Aug 20 at 14:45
 Hornets - devonite
Maybe something else from out old "friend" China! ;-)

www.express.co.uk/news/nature/793278/hornet-asian-giant-killer-wasps-uk-invasion-sting
 Hornets - CGNorwich
That’s clearly a European Hornet, possibly a queen looking for a nest sight.

Save your xenophobia
 Hornets - Kevin

www.basingstokegazette.co.uk/news/18649549.asian-hornets-near-basingstoke-cause-devastation/
 Hornets - MD
Wasps of course are great and essential pollinators. Much underrated and in the fullness of time one may regret the killing of them.
 Hornets - zippy
Stayed in the garden for hours looking for a nest, then checked the eaves, loft and torch in the air bricks.

Not a sign of a nest and no re-visit so perhaps it was a passing swarm?
 Hornets - Robin O'Reliant
>> Stayed in the garden for hours looking for a nest, then checked the eaves, loft
>> and torch in the air bricks.
>>
>> Not a sign of a nest and no re-visit so perhaps it was a passing
>> swarm?
>>

A couple of scouts sent out to look for a base camp. By Monday thousands will turn up.
 Hornets - zippy
Spoke too soon.

Two more turned up. Another check of the loft tomorrow to see if I have missed anything.
 Hornets - bathtub tom
I've seen a wasp nest behind the barge board and soffit that wasn't visible in the loft. Fortunately a dose of ant powder sorted it.
 Hornets - Zero
Two? Not exactly a ruddy swarm is it.
 Hornets - zippy
>> Two? Not exactly a ruddy swarm is it.
>>

It's enough when you have to carry an epi-pen against stings.

They were fairly dozy. Caught both of them and are in ramekins in case I need to show them to the pest controller.

Hornets - smokie
Mate of mine has carried an epipen against stings since his early 20s or thereabouts (now 64). It was as a result of an unusual reaction just after having been stung.

He managed to leave it behind when we were away last year and he got stung with no ill effects. I think he still carries it but it may turn out to be a comforter rather than an essential...
 Hornets - CGNorwich
Hornets are strongly attracted to light so if your house was lit up on a summer evening they will make a bee line for it (see what I did there). Relax, they are not aggressive. Here’s some info. They really are fascinating creatures. I volunteer on a nature reserve and we currently have a hornet nest in an owl nest box. No problem to visitors at all.

sussexwildlifetrust.org.uk/news/european-hornets
Latest Forum Posts