Non-motoring > Shuttleworth Heritage Open Day 17th Sept Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Manatee Replies: 24

Shuttleworth Heritage Open Day 17th Sept - Manatee
Still some tickets left. Not cancelled yet AFAIK.

www.shuttleworth.org/events/heritageopenday-2020/
 Shuttleworth Heritage Open Day 17th Sept - slowdown avenue
most everything i've looked at is online only. going to cambridge tomorrow but know of nothing i can visit.
 Shuttleworth Heritage Open Day 17th Sept - R.P.
Something in normal times that I'd have ridden to see.
We drop in to the cafe quite often on our way to Cambridge if we do the scenic route. I've been round the collection at least twice but I'm taking a friend of mine who hasn't. He's a train nut so I think he'll enjoy it.

I would have gone to the July Evening Air Show again this year but it's been a bit disrupted.

We're about to set off for this near Worcester - socially distanced and masked of course. Probably the last 'run' of the year.

www.wheelsonwednesday.co.uk/

Shuttleworth Heritage Open Day 17th Sept - bathtub tom
>>I would have gone to the July Evening Air Show again this year but it's been a bit disrupted.

Everything's been disrupted since March. Air shows have re-started, but they're ticket only (no pay-at-gate) and each car is allocated a 5m box and you're requested to stay in that box during the air display. Details are on the website.

I'll be there for the race day in October.
I meant to add the restaurant and shop are closed, although there are catering pods on flying days. Suggest you bring a flask if you arrive mid-week.
 Shuttleworth Heritage Open Day 17th Sept - Crankcase
Duxford have just cancelled next week's Airshow, in case anyone thought they were going.
 Shuttleworth Heritage Open Day 17th Sept - Zero
Since Shoreham, air shows are not worthy of the name.
It's still good to see the static stuff though. I went and sat in a Spitfire at Duxford a couple of days ago. My, there are a lot of controls.
 Shuttleworth Heritage Open Day 17th Sept - Zero
Try the flight deck of a 1970s vintage Jumbo!
It's probably in MS Flight sim 2020? I had a look at that but you need a pc a trillion times beefier than mine to run it. Looks very pretty on Youtube (though I bet it's a bit boring for the non geeky).

Mind you, modelling the whole actual real world is quite an achievement. You can even see your own house, sort of.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Sun 13 Sep 20 at 16:32
I went to Shuttleworth today. Quite a few public there and continuous light aircraft arriving and departing. Two pods selling burgers and hot drinks and the bar was open.
Heritage day will include the house, Swiss gardens and hangars - all for free.
>>
>> Heritage day will include the house, Swiss gardens and hangars - all for free.

That was my reading - just the hangars is usually £18 a nob IIRC.

Thanks for the information on the cafe.

The house tours were all booked when I got my tickets, do you think there w ll be free access?

I hope it goes ahead, I'm looking forward to a day out.
 Shuttleworth Heritage Open Day 17th Sept - sooty123
Thanks for the heads up for this, really enjoyed the gardens and walks around the house, didn't bother with the hangar. Perfect weather for the open day as well.
>> Perfect weather for the open day as well.

It was,wasn't it. Surprised it wasn't busier but I suppose they limited the tickets in view of COVID_19.

We just toured the hangars, and the vehicle collection, and had our picnic. They emptied hangar 2, flew the Miles Magister and one or two others, and ran the Sea Hurricane on the ground for an engine check - good noise. They parked the Gladiator at the north end of the strip but there was no sign of doing anything else with it.

I wouldn't have minded seeing the house, not sure if self-guiding was allowed? All the tours were gone when I ordered my tickets.
Last edited by: Manatee on Thu 17 Sep 20 at 17:28
Was the vehicle collection by the hangars? If so probably why I missed it.

Was Magister in a blue and yellow paint job? One aircraft in those colours took off as we were in front of the playground.

I'm not sure about the house tours,I didn't look into it.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Thu 17 Sep 20 at 17:35
Some of the vehicles were outside, opposite the hangars - I recall a Railton, a Fiat Topolino and a Hillman Minx in wartime RAF livery. The collection lives behind hangar 5.

They have 2 Magisters - this is the one I think I saw airborne. I was eating my sandwich and Scottish egg in the parking field at the time.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=mm6DtFwyTd8

the other one

www.youtube.com/watch?v=pREU0F3-AkI
Last edited by: Manatee on Thu 17 Sep 20 at 19:13
This is my favourite of the Shuttleworth aircraft, just for its appearance (Lysander)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhUiWaa7wlE
No it wasn't that, the one I saw was a biplane.
A few vehicles were out, the WOT Ford truck, Fiat Topolino, WW2 Hillman Minx, '20s Jowett, Railton, MG TA, Corgi 'bike, BSA A7, Triuph SD, BSA M20 and Leyland Charabus was giving rides. The Arrol Johston came out later for a diagnosis of a transmission problem.

Saw the Duxford two seater Spitfire do a couple of circuits of the airfield.
Last edited by: bathtub tom on Thu 17 Sep 20 at 19:34
One of the BBMF spitfires was out and about tonight doing a flyover, came right over the garden. Topped off a good day.
bt, is the £15 site admission just a COVID thing? I hope so - when the restaurant is open we like to call in for a coffee on our way to Cambridge. I note that the current £15 gives access to the garden and the collection which in normal times would have cost more.
>> bt, is the £15 site admission just a COVID thing?

I believe so. If my reading of the website's correct, it's £15/head at the gate, but if you pay online it gives you unlimited access for a month.

Sunday was as busy today, but with much more light aircraft activity. I suppose light aircraft owners look for something to do at a weekend, a bit like MX5 owners going for a Sunday afternoon drive ;>)
I saw an all-yellow DH Moth, that might have been a visitor.
 Shuttleworth Heritage Open Day 17th Sept - smokie
That was a good day out, thanks for the heads up. I suppose we ought to have organised a meet but we didn't!

I was impressed with the whole lot - the hangars were good, we walked round the Swiss garden and then up and round the house, and there was plenty of space and seating for picnic time - and you couldn't have wanted a better day for it. Even SWMBO enjoyed it!!

I assume it's usually a lot busier but we will be going back sometime (even though the satnav seemed to take a ridiculous route and it was over 70 miles).

And to top it off she posted a pic of us on FB while there and old friends asked us to drop by for a cuppa as they only live miles away so we did!! Really good catching up with them...

Again, thanks for calling it out
Latest Forum Posts