Non-motoring > Steam Train Videos - Volume 2
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 86

Steam Train Videos - Volume 2 - VxFan

Discussion continues

Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 27 Jun 23 at 10:27
 Steam Train Videos - Duncan
He has been busy again. Not too far from home.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=myu2yt5dKOU

That loco is bobbing around a bit on the rails, isn't it?

Oh and lots of smoke.
 Steam Train Videos - legacylad
I can see Settle station from my house, and almost a mile of track, so regularly hear the steam specials on the line. Seems to be about twice weekly at the moment, but a few recently have been diesel hauled.
Whether that’s because of line side fire hazard or simply the steam loco is broke I don’t know.

There was a green loco heading north a few days ago, not emitting any smoke. Probably being pushed by the diesel at the rear.

Last Saturday I was meeting friends at Settle station who were leaving a northbound train when a diesel hauled special came flying down..a big green thing, Number D345. Easy enough to remember. Jumped out of my skin as I didn’t see it approaching...heck of a loud horn.
Last edited by: legacylad on Sat 24 Jun 23 at 07:03
 Steam Train Videos - Zero

>> Last Saturday I was meeting friends at Settle station who were leaving a northbound train
>> when a diesel hauled special came flying down..a big green thing, Number D345. Easy enough
>> to remember. Jumped out of my skin as I didn’t see it approaching...heck of a
>> loud horn.

D345 is a BR class 40, some 60 odd years old, owned by Jeremy Hoskins and based at Crewe.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPBT0yU2CYU&ab_channel=IanWaters
 Steam Train Videos - Kevin
Managed to fix the camera Z?
>> Managed to fix the camera Z?

That was shot on the old Panasonic, On the Sony, the power supply board is duff and taken out another board. All miniature smd, and unavailable, so its a 1600 quid write off after 3 1/2 years.
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 24 Jun 23 at 12:39
 Steam Train Videos - zippy
>>, so its a 1600
>> quid write off after 3 1/2 years.
>>

Ouch!

I don't suppose you purchased it on a credit card and can show it's a manufacturing fault - potential for a s75 claim?

>> That loco is bobbing around a bit on the rails, isn't it?
>>
>> Oh and lots of smoke.

Oliver Bulleid design, always smokey and rough riding, Originally when built Broughton looked a bit like this,

youtu.be/Tgd5OsNgwXk?t=58
 Steam Train Videos - tyrednemotional
....I think you have a spillchucker issue....
Good to the ole fellers getting out a bit.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qh1a3E8KTc
You talking about the 77 year old Steam Loco, the 69 year old videographer or the youngster in the pack - the 63 year old diesel?
"The 69 year old videographer". Yes, I like it.
 Steam Train Videos - legacylad
Flying Scotsman York > Carlisle yesterday.
A short morning walk in the sun to watch it from Langcliffe footbridge one mile north of Settle...about 10 folks out to watch it from that good viewpoint. Pulling 12 coaches unaided.

Steam Train Videos - Volume 2 - Duncan
Why does he always position himself on the OTHER side of the tracks, so that if another train, like say an interesting goods train loaded with gravel is going down the opposite line, we get a good shot of that?

Hmm?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aI3uQh1t8k
 Steam Train Videos - Volume 2 - legacylad
Another steam special passed through Settle late afternoon yesterday..on the down line.
A regular thing in this part of the world

If that’s Flying Scotsman it didn’t have a diesel pushing it on the Settle Carlisle last weekend.
Last edited by: legacylad on Wed 12 Jul 23 at 08:39
 Steam Train Videos - Volume 2 - bathtub tom
>>Why does he always position himself on the OTHER side of the tracks

I would guess it's to give him a wider angle view. If you're right next to the movement, it's difficult to get a clear shot.
 Steam Train Videos - Volume 2 - smokie
And why would one stand on the bridge and be engulfed with the steam?

I wish Wokingham would open their level crossing as quickly after the train had passed as Chertsey does!! Feels like a good few minutes wait usually. And you can be waiting a genuinely long time if they are expecting one in the other direction as well.
 Steam Train Videos - Volume 2 - Manatee
I can well understand why they don't raise the gates for short intervals. Every closing of the gates is another dollop of risk. I sat behind a lorry a few years back waiting for the gates to open.

When they did, it dawdled off so slowly that the gates closed while it was still blocking the exit. I had a very near miss. I had scratches on the front of the bonnet where the barrier bounced over it.

I can't believe it was 11 years ago. Feels like about 5 or 6.

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=10154&v=f
 Steam Train Videos - Volume 2 - Zero

>> I wish Wokingham would open their level crossing as quickly after the train had passed
>> as Chertsey does!!

Its a weird crossing, AHB (automatic half barrier, controlled by paddles on the track) on the UP* and half AHB, (half signal centre controlled) on the down.

As an aside UP and DOWN in railway nomenclature is interesting. UP usually means to London (unless its not going anywhere near London but another major terminus) and DOWN means away from London. On this line it could go to London either way, but UP here is away from the camera.

It gets really confusing when it passes through a major hub, like York. Where it could be UP or Down, depending on where its terminating, but from London its DOWN.

All depends on how they labelled the signal block diagrams back in the day.
 Steam Train Videos - Volume 2 - Ted

I would much prefer to watch freight, as per Duncan's gravel train comment.

A guy in Ohio, Brian Gibson, films and posts on YouTube under the name Jaw Tooth prolifically. To watch 2 mile long freights with up to 5 locos handling them passing down the middle of the main street in La Grange, Kentucky is spectacular. Life just goes on as normal with the townsfolk.

Often the consist is made up of Auto Rack car carrying 15 motor cars each. One I watched was hauling many thousands of tons of Hydrochloric acid.

It all seems to work, though.ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUX9kr4D1Xg

Ted
>> Often the consist is made up of Auto Rack car carrying 15 motor cars each.
>> One I watched was hauling many thousands of tons of Hydrochloric acid.
>>
>> It all seems to work, though.ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUX9kr4D1Xg
>>
>> Ted
>>

Try

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUX9kr4D1Xg

>> Often the consist is made up of Auto Rack car carrying 15 motor cars each.
>> One I watched was hauling many thousands of tons of Hydrochloric acid.

You want auto racks and street running, MrKnowwun can provide.

youtu.be/0Fa5KkRKQlU

or even not in autoracks

www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlayDF12ehI
 Steam Train Videos - Volume 2 - bathtub tom
Many years ago I was in Weymouth when the train came down the road next to me. The kids were delighted.
yeah, the Weymouth tramway, trains went from waterloo to weymouth dockside. Went on it on a trip to Guernsey (BR Ferry SS Sarnia) in the early 1960's. Weymouth dock was declared unsafe for large ships in the early 90s.

Officially didnt go out of Network Rail service (due to admin cockups) till 2019 some of the track near the station lifted in 2020. Last train on the tramway was a special tour in 1999.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 12 Jul 23 at 22:48
 Steam Train Videos - Volume 2 - tyrednemotional
>>Went on it on a trip to Guernsey (BR Ferry SS Sarnia) in the early 1960's.

...family trip on a BR free pass....?
>> >>Went on it on a trip to Guernsey (BR Ferry SS Sarnia) in the early
>> 1960's.
>>
>> ...family trip on a BR free pass....?

A privi, yeah.
...ditto, about the same time, but on a pass..

I miss my old "All Stations and Ships" first class leather pass I got somewhat later.

>> I miss my old "All Stations and Ships" first class leather pass I got somewhat
>> later.

They knew they were going to divest themselves of ships.......
...I was still getting free travel on the ships until the mid-80's (when I left BR).
Another black steam engine northbound to Carlisle just now. Watched it through my home office window...12 Carthage’s, diesel attached at the rear. Chucking out a lot of black smoke....must be at least the third steam special in the past few days.
 Steam Train Videos - Volume 2 - Bromptonaut
Out in the caravan for the weekend. CAMC site near Welwyn GC.

Up and drinking tea just before 08:00 and thought I heard a steam engine's whistle. Quick check tells me the White Rose was off LKX 07:23 so timing would be spot on.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sat 15 Jul 23 at 15:50
SR Merchant Navy Class 35018, British India Line
Just returned from Carlisle. Think it was the same black steam locomotive but this time it didn’t have the diesel at the back. How odd.
>> Just returned from Carlisle. Think it was the same black steam locomotive but this time
>> it didn’t have the diesel at the back. How odd.
>>

...it's downhill...
 Holy Sheet - Zero
Not quite a steam train, but what a fab piece of timing.

youtu.be/SlQulZt1_A4?t=175

youtu.be/6MKHgEIzrZo?t=921
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 1 Aug 23 at 21:32
 Holy Sheet - Fullchat
Took me right back to a video we were shown in training highlighting tankers and dangerous loads. BLEVE:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=0W88v5tMWJ0
 Holy Sheet - Zero
>> Took me right back to a video we were shown in training highlighting tankers and
>> dangerous loads. BLEVE:
>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=0W88v5tMWJ0

Yeah, you wouldnt catch me running towards an overturned tanker.
 The Old Meets The New - Duncan
www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtqNEN61knE

Mr knowwun goes out steam train spotting and meets a goods train.

What does the bloke in the back cab do all the time?
 The Old Meets The New - Zero
That looks like a remarkable catch for Mr K. That Class 69 diesel is a remarkable hybrid, being more or less brand new (April 23) and Old (1980)

wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_69

Anyway, there have been one or two issues with the project, so the bloke in the back could be a riding techie, or as its on its way back to its home yard - Tonbridge - could be a driver off roster hitching a lift home, or to his next shift from home. You often see goods trains dropping crew on and off at various unscheduled station stops.
Last edited by: smokie on Wed 9 Aug 23 at 10:34
 The Old Meets The New - smokie
Don't you wave at the driver? If so he didn't wave back.
Last edited by: smokie on Wed 9 Aug 23 at 10:36
 The Old Meets The New - Zero
No, one does not wave at drivers unless they give you a special whistle or horn. Nor does one pump ones fist up and down begging the driver to whistle.

(tho one might, from time to time, wear ones Network Rail Hi Viz, where the driver is required to give a warning tone as per instructions in the rule book)
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 9 Aug 23 at 12:02
 Not a Steam Train Video - Volume 1 - Duncan
This is not a steam train. More like a diesel. A Deltic, I think with my limited knowledge.

What is that farty sound at the beginning - or is it?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOFQJcHDG4A
Last edited by: Duncan on Sun 20 Aug 23 at 06:49
I love the engines on these - assuming I am not up a gum tree.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napier_Deltic

My brother worked on engines at Napiers. I wish I had asked him more when I could.
 Not a Steam Train Video - Volume 1 - legacylad
Another special just passed chez LL heading north through Settle....this one had two diesels on the front and one on the rear. Never seen that before...and not too many carriages.
 Not a Steam Train Video - Volume 1 - Bromptonaut
Zero's not posted for a few days, hope he's OK and just chasing trains, dogs or whatever...
Just people desperate to get out of Yorkshire - and who can blame them?

"I don't care how many engines it takes - ok, if it takes three to be on the safe side, let's have three".

Although why they are going North mystifies me.
>> Just people desperate to get out of Yorkshire - and who can blame them?

Oy!!

>> "I don't care how many engines it takes - ok, if it takes three to
>> be on the safe side, let's have three".

The Garsdale Growler at a guess - headed by 2*Class 37:

www.branchline.uk/fixture.php

Angela Rayner's use of the term Growler, which I'd never heard in that context before, might cause some sniggering at the back of the class..
 Not a Steam Train Video - Volume 1 - legacylad
Growler.....a pork pie in Yorkshire.
>> Growler.....a pork pie in Yorkshire.

Indeed.

Not sure of the origin, possibly military or maybe just Manc, but it's also slang for female genitalia.

Ms Rayner's joking with fellow members about Boris and her ginger growler was part of the 'Basic Instinct' story about her crossing and recrossing her legs at PMQs.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sun 27 Aug 23 at 17:36
 Not a Steam Train Video - Volume 1 - Ted

In Manchester, at least, a Growler was a four seater horse drawn 'taxi', along with the Hansoms. Bit like a Brougham.

Ted
 Not a Steam Train Video - Volume 1 - VxFan
>> Growler.....a pork pie in Yorkshire.

And was a HJ Backroom member. His other half was called The Growlette IIRC.
>> And was a HJ Backroom member. His other half was called The Growlette IIRC.

For some reason they spelled both with a both G and R as capitals. Growler there was a motorbike, possibly a Harley.

He was an expat (Phillipines) and his wife was a native of those parts.

IIRC he died of cancer. GRowlette wrote very well and HJ went to soem trouble to contact her as she was good enough to be paid for her work. However it came to nowt.
Nice livery, even the diesel hanging on the back!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJDl1bb_gps&ab_channel=MrKnowwun
West Coast Railways Maroon livery. I had a word with Mr K, apparently he got there early and experimented with sticking a camera to the side of his vehicle, to do a "pacing shot". ie driving alongside the train. Alas the track was too close to the road, and all he would have filmed is wheels. (they have a diameter of 6" 9" on a LMS Jubilee Class)
He can wax a bit lyrical can't he - that Mr K. " the bridge bathed in autumnal sunlight".

Tell us, what's he actually like in the flesh?
>> He can wax a bit lyrical can't he - that Mr K. " the bridge
>> bathed in autumnal sunlight".
>>
>> Tell us, what's he actually like in the flesh?

I find him shy, sensitive, artistic, cares a lot about the environment, society, kind to people, not outspoken, doesn't drink so not prone to drunken outbursts......
... he's in your neck of the woods, isn't he Duncan?

If you ever run into him you should be able to recognise him by his ever-lengthening nose.

;-)
It's not a video, before you start complaining.

Saturday, 25th Nov 2023
12:30 pm - 2:00 pm
A chance to see a steam train arrive at Paddington station in the afternoon.

The Capital Christmas Express service will be hauled on the way into London by a Black 5 locomotive.

Note, it will leave by diesel, so if you want to see it in steam, you need to be there for the arrival.
Estimated times the train will pass - from RealTimeTrains

12:36 - Reading
12:51 - Maidenhead
12:57 - Slough
13:13 - Southall
13:18 - West Ealing
13:21 - Acton West
13:27 - Ladbroke Grove
13:30 - London Paddington
 Steam Train Videos - Volume 2 - smokie
I have some paint drying that needs watching, otherwise I might have been there. :-)
So it just magically appears, Harry potter like at Reading? That I have to see.

Alas I am chief steward at a dog show Saturday. Which is the canine equivalent of watching paint dry. Important but V boring (until TSHTF)
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 24 Nov 23 at 09:19
 Steam Train Videos - Volume 2 - Bromptonaut
Starts from Chester.
Yup, lots of good placs to see it around Banbury
 Steam Train Videos - Volume 2 - Kevin
Yeah, make sure you see it before it reaches Sluff or Sowfall and the wheels get nicked.
The real treat is Tuesday, West Country class Braunton is due to tonk it down the fast line (so 75mph) between Surbiton and Woking. So it will be doing the job on the lines it was built for
>> The real treat is Tuesday, West Country class Braunton is due to tonk it down
>> the fast line (so 75mph) between Surbiton and Woking.

Will your mate be there?
>> >> The real treat is Tuesday, West Country class Braunton is due to tonk it
>> down
>> >> the fast line (so 75mph) between Surbiton and Woking.
>>
>> Will your mate be there?

Think he might make time for it
 Steam Train Videos - Volume 2 - CGNorwich
I guess it doesn’t get more exciting than that.
Nearly as exciting as driving to ones garden centre in ones electric car making hoover sounds to suck on a bun and tea
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 24 Nov 23 at 15:09
The garden centre has a Santa Special Train throught the grotto at the moment. It doesn't get better that that surely.
as long as its not thomas the effin tank engiine
"as long as its not thomas the effin tank engiine"

Surely Thomas is a hallowed name amongst enthusiasts.
.....and don't call him Shirley!...
I didn’t see any steam trains today, but I did see two crossing Arnside viaduct at 4:15 just as I returned to my car. Saw some this morning when I parked up.
And low flying jets on my steady circular walk in the Bay Area. Under cloudless skies.
Cracker of a day.
York was the place to be yesterday, Deltic from Kings cross, loco change, A4 to Edinburgh.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=uT1tmX3Lu7g&feature=youtu.be
York…our regular afternoon haunt to take light refreshment.
We often meet up in the Station Tap, which has an outside seating area adjacent to the platform.
Then on to the nearby Maltings, which serves super very very hot chilli and has quite the reputation for it.
Then to the original ‘House of Trembling madness’ and then top floor at Pivni before the Market Cat. All great pubs with great beer.
No time to visit before Spain again in a few days, but early January for a morning walk along the walls whilst sober. Maybe even the Railway Museum again
>> York…our regular afternoon haunt to take light refreshment.
>> We often meet up in the Station Tap, which has an outside seating area adjacent
>> to the platform.

Then of course for well kept beer and good food, all at reasonable prices, there is the Postern Gate in Piccadilly, or the Punch Bowl.

tinyurl.com/yt5uebpj

>> I didn’t see any steam trains today, but I did see two crossing Arnside viaduct
>> at 4:15 just as I returned to my car.

Why don't I understand that?
Two diesel multiple units I meant…I’m not a train spotter as such, but they made an interesting photo as they both crossed the viaduct In opposite directions at the same time, just after sunset ..viaduct being at the top of Morecambe Bay.
 Steam Train Videos - Volume 2 - henry k
>> The real treat is Tuesday, West Country class Braunton is due to tonk it down the fast line(so 75mph)
>> between Surbiton and Woking. So it will be doing the job on the lines it was built for
>>
What time is it expected between Surbiton and Esher ?
confirmed intermediate times not yet available, Surbiton 0933, so say 0937ish at Esher
Have you got a link to a site which lists these steam train events?
www.railtourinfo.co.uk/
www.youtube.com/watch?v=3o6RCdLn4Mk&ab_channel=MrKnowwun

Tell your mate to stand in the middle of the lines then he wouldn't miss anything.

Might do us all a favour...

He said he was getting to get some old expendable schmuck from Esher to do that
 Steam Train Videos - Volume 2 - henry k
Thanks for the timings.
The worst possible timings for me to get out. I am really disappointed that I missed it
I stayed in to meet a contractor who didn't turn up!
>> I stayed in to meet a contractor who didn't turn up!

They rarely do. Word got round you dont give them tea and biccies.
Latest Forum Posts