Motoring Discussion > SNOW (Drift No 3)   [Read only] Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 102

SNOW (Drift No 3) - R.P.

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Drift No 4 *****

Snowy tales from your locality...
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 6 Dec 10 at 19:53

SNOW (Drift No 2) - Old Navy
OK all you smart derrières, what is the formula for icicles? Ours were up to four feet long untill todays thaw, (I knocked them down over the doors that I had dug access to).

SNOW (Drift No 2) - L'escargot
>> OK all you smart derrières, what is the formula for icicles?

In what respect? Formula for icicles doing what?

Ambient temperature / water temperature / icicle length.

Icicles are one of our strongest symbols of winter and often used to depict the cold depths of prolonged winter. In its basic form, an icicle is a tapered, hanging spike or cone of ice formed by the freezing of dripping or falling water. We mostly think of them as forming off building roofs and edges from melting snow, but icicles can also form on trees, utility poles and fences, and on rocks near waterfalls or ground water seepage points, from rain, mist, spray and water seepage.

To simplify the discussion, let's think about the formation of icicles on roof edges.

We'll start with a slanted roof having a snow cover. To initiate the icicle formation, the temperature of the snow must rise above its melting temperature. Strong solar heating of absorbing roof materials and internal heat loss from an improperly insulated attic or under-roof are prime agents for raising rooftop temperatures and causing snowmelt.

When the snowmelt flows down the roof, the competition between gravity — pulling the water downward — and surface tension — trying to keep the water flow flat — leads to the formation of evenly-spaced ripples along the edge of the roof. These ripples freeze when and where the surface temperature dips below 0oC (32oF), and become icicle roots. The icicles then grow as water dripping over the roots freezes in progressive layers.

Icicles grow downward and outward simultaneously but at differing rates.

Horizontal ribbing encircles each new icicle to form a series of progressively smaller rings toward the tip. During active icicle growth, these rings are composed of fragile, thin ice plates which grow randomly outward. Eventually the spaces between the rings are filled with downward flowing melt water.

Vertical ridges form when melt water streams down the icicle exterior, laying a thin track of ice. Continued melt water flow adds additional ice along the same track for as long as the track surface stays liquid.

At the tip of a growing icicle is a pendent drop of water. Typically the water extends several centimeters (about an inch) up into the interior of the icicle from the tip. This tip is composed of randomly growing ice crystals which, once frozen, form an inverted cup, usually filled with water. Occasionally an air bubble enters the cup and drains it of its liquid. Water flowing down the icicle quickly restores the end drop, trapping some of the air and incorporating it into the solid icicle. Such bubbles are usually seen along the axis of the icicle, giving it a milky appearance.

Even after active growth has stopped, icicles can continue to change shape and appearance. At subfreezing temperatures some icicles change from solid water directly to water vapor, slowly altering and smoothing the icicle's surface.

Although icicles can grow to several meters (yards) in length, eventually, melting or gravity brings an end to the icicle, causing it to fall from its perch and crash to the surface below.

Icicles forming on or near waterfalls and other areas, where liquid water seeps from the rock or soil, add further beauty to natural winter scenes. In some cases, the spray from the falling water drifts onto existing icicles and forms an extensive, intertwining network of ice and hanging spikes giving the appearance of an ice curtain.

So there!

>> So there!
>>

Sounds reasonable. But I have a foot of insulation in my loft, and it is cold up there !
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 5 Dec 10 at 18:31

SNOW (Drift No 2) - Pat
L'es, I enjoyed reading that but I have to admit I've just told Mr pda that I do learn some rubbish on here:)

Pat

SNOW (Drift No 2) - Iffy
I'm impressed with ON's four foot icicles.

I've only got about 12 inches - hanging off the gutter.

They reached from the (bungalow) gutter to below the handrails each side of the steps to the front door.

The foot of insulation in my loft must be doing something, my roof snow is melting slower than similar houses nearby. We have open plan front gardens and driveways, Apart from the 5 foot high pile of snow that I shifted, I now have a few JCB buckets of snow as well, The street looks like a mini alps now the snow has been shifted. There are car sized piles of snow all over the place, I hope no one has lost a car !
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 4 Dec 10 at 16:29

SNOW (Drift No 2) - Armel Coussine
... Even with iffy's modest twelve-inch 'icicle'

It must be uncomfortable riding a bicycle... '
 SNOW (Drift No 2) - bathtub tom
My neighbour's got a dripping overflow:

tinyurl.com/34mmeuk

I've been watching these grow.

>>some icicles change from solid water directly to water vapor
L'es. IIRC, I was taught that sublimation is the apparent ability of a solid to change directly to a gas, but it does actually pass through a liquid state.

SNOW (Drift No 2) - Bellboy
my poo pipe was doing that earlier this year as the sealant had dried out and probably due to the blocked drain i sorted out a fortnight ago,anyway your neighbour needs to poke out all the dead stuff as much he can,i used a chisel and small hammer and then fill the gasket hole with this stuff goo.gl/c9CRI but it needs to go off before it sees water so is a bit difficult in this weather so i would probably make use of a heat gun

SNOW (Drift No 2) - Perky Penguin
OED says

"Definition: Sublimation is the term for when matter undergoes a phase transition directly from a solid to gaseous form, or vapor, WITHOUT passing through the more common liquid phase between the two. It is a specific case of vaporization.

The most well known example of a material that undergoes sublimation is dry ice, or frozen carbon dioxide."

SNOW (Drift No 2) - Perky Penguin
That is a bit harsh pda, IMO! It isn't rubbish in any way! However it is non-essential information which is available, accurate and of interest to some of us! Well done that mollusc!!!!

SNOW (Drift No 2) - Iffy
The hard shoulder's a dangerous place to be in this weather, and stopping to help a stranded driver is not much safer:

"A lorry driver has now been arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving after a collision that killed two men and closed a motorway in Humberside for hours.

"A 30-year-old man and a 56-year-old, both from Nottinghamshire, were both killed after a silver pick-up vehicle was struck on the hard shoulder of the eastbound M62 in freezing conditions on Friday morning.

"A Land Rover driver has also lost his life after he was hit by another vehicle after he stopped to help a stranded motorist."

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1335602/UK-snow-Seven-trapped-Yorkshire-pub-days-Big-Freeze-set-week.html#ixzz17ArxiCWy

SNOW (Drift No 2) - BobbyG
How does the plough of a snow plough work with relation to obstacles?

Ploughing a motorway is straightforward but what about city streets with speed bumps, kerbs etc?

I drove one road today where it is obvious that the plough must have removed the snow from a traffic island but obviously didn't uproot the kerb edge in the process.

I realise they must have a stiff bit of semi flexible rubber or something at the base but wondering what happens when plough meets immovable object like kerb?

The JCB that cleared my road today just ran along on its shovel with its front wheels off the ground. Unfortunately the driver did not take out any speed bumps as they have posts on the pavement to mark their location. He only cleared the center of the road so avoided the kerbs.

SNOW (Drift No 2) - smokie
When I lived in East Kent the snow plough had uprooted lots of the cat's eyes on my route to work. That's a few years back now, I expect there is better technology

SNOW (Drift No 2) - Armel Coussine
>> what about city streets with speed bumps, kerbs etc?

This is just one of the many reasons why speed bumps are malevolent rubbish invented by anti-vehicle twonks to damage the roads and make real human beings miserable.

Anyone who thinks otherwise has my utter contempt.

SNOW (Drift No 2) - hobby
>> How does the plough of a snow plough work with relation to obstacles?
>>

From my holiday in Germany last year the answer seems to be that it just knocks great big chips out of the kerbs if the driver gets it wrong... a lot of the kerbs in the town we stayed at had chunks knocked out of them, especially at corners and it seems the snowploughs were responsible!

SNOW (Drift No 3) - swiss tony
>> Icicles are one of our strongest symbols of winter and often used to depict the
>> cold depths of prolonged winter. In its basic form, an icicle is a tapered, hanging
>> spike or cone of ice formed by the freezing of dripping or falling water. ......

That reminded me of the way to remember the difference between Stalactites and stalagmites.
Just think of a woman.

The tites (tights) come down, and the mites (mights) go up... (think about it!!)

SNOW (Drift No 3) - scousehonda
My (polite) aide memoire was that stalactites (with a 'c') came from the ceiling and stalagmites (with a 'g') came from the ground.

Come to think of it I prefer st's version as it brings back happy memories of what goes down and what goes up.

SNOW (Drift No 3) - Runfer D'Hills
Variation of ST's one "Ballet dancer on an anthill, tights down, mites up"

SNOW (Drift No 3) - Tooslow
and my polite aide memoire was that stalactites hang on tight and stalagmites might grow up to reach them.
John

SNOW (Drift No 2) - CGNorwich
You might have acknowledged the website you lifted this from Mr Snail!

www.islandnet.com/~see/weather/elements/icicles.htm

SNOW (Drift No 2) - rtj70
Not sure if this was posted before...

www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/weather/8181494/Fault-in-train-software-leaves-them-unable-to-operate-in-snow-and-ice.html

Seems a lot of the problems is down to trains protecting themselves from electrical surges. Older rolling stock was fine.

>> You might have acknowledged the website you lifted this from Mr Snail!
>>
>> www.islandnet.com/~see/weather/elements/icicles.htm
>>

D'oh!

SNOW (Drift No 2) - R.P.
Really bad here today - sheet ice on the drive (steep) and and lane - absolutely lethal - still amazed at the dog's traction on his morning walk - far better than mine. Spent half an hour salting it with a neighbour and did a very impressive slide down the drive, instinct put me in a squatting position - still...frightened the life out of me.

SNOW (Drift No 2) - Dog
I slipped on my drive the other day but I managed to stay on all fours :)
Sooooooooo easilly done - the A&E is full of em :(

I've just bin out and bought 25kg of rock salt (£6.99) and an arf decent shovel (£17.99) from Homebase.
(blimmin crooks!)

SNOW (Drift No 2) - Tooslow
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-11921396

I've been here many times. It's a regular story here. Food isn't as good as it used to be but still ok. A useful stop off if walking around Rosedale.

If anyone knows the pub - how did they get the piano in?
John

SNOW (Drift No 2) - Iffy
...if anyone knows the pub - how did they get the piano in?...

Better pic of the pub in the forum's favourite newspaper:

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1335602/UK-snow-7-trapped-Lion-Inn-pub-Yorkshire-NINE-days.html
Last edited by: Iffy on Sun 5 Dec 10 at 12:27

SNOW (Drift No 2) - R.P.
You may recall I stayed in that village last month - who'd believe it !

SNOW (Drift No 2) - Netsur
Even a Subaru Forester can't get out of that drift!

SNOW (Drift No 2) - RattleandSmoke
It is now so bad here now, I got of the bus at 3:20am and walked down my road with slippy trainers. I did walk on the road and the pavement though.

However if we get any more rain or snow it will be chaos.

SNOW (Drift No 2) - Ted

Thawing here in Shangri-la.
Lots of ice/snow on the pavements, looks a bit treacherous so i walked home on the road a bit earlier.
Spent the morning in the warm kitchen and buttered 480 slices of bread for SWMBO.....she really ought to stop binging !
Really, they were for the local ' Good Neighbours ' Christmas tea at the church hall.
Not going out again today, just got warm...hope it's all gone by morning...but I doubt it !

The sandwiches will be, though !

Ted

SNOW (Drift No 2) - RattleandSmoke
We are due for more snow tomorrow which is what I am worried. I tried to drop my last PC which needed a new motherboard off yesterday but the customer was a city match. I now have to do it tomorrow night at 7pm so I miss the tram crash too (but the PVR can take care of that).

Got a job in the ville soon which I am a bit nervious about as I am not driivng due to the amount of booze I had last night. Still with my wellies I should be ok. I managed to walk down to Morrisons before and it wasn't too bad.

It looks far worse than it is really but that said one wrong move and it is a night in A&E,
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Sun 5 Dec 10 at 15:38

SNOW (Drift No 2) - Dog
It really beats me that more people don't *invest* in a pair of these,
they should also be available on the national elf b'cos it would save em ££££'s.

www.amazon.co.uk/Get-Grip-Everyday-Traction-Small-Medium/dp/B002LWDCCS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1291565902&sr=8-1

SNOW (Drift No 2) - R.P.
I bought a pair a couple of weeks ago - work remarkably well..

SNOW (Drift No 2) - Runfer D'Hills
Apologies if I've missed a comment on it but did you go out for a hurl in the MX5 t'other night PU ? Bet it would've be fun provided the snow wasn't too deep ? Ground clearance would be the killer.

SNOW (Drift No 2) - R.P.
There was zero snow, bit of rain - an up to 6 degrees in Caernarfon (apparently it rarely snows there) had to be somewhere and the X1 was on the commute. Plan B was to leave it in town and taxi it home, as it turned out didn't need the plan. If it had been last night would have been a different matter.

SNOW (Drift No 2) - Ted

>> Got a job in the ville soon which I am a bit nervious about

Private roads in the Ville, Rats. They probably won't have been gritted....but then again, neither has anywhere else.

Got to go to Stockport tomorrow to fit a new accelerator cable to SiL's Meeeegane.
Hope it doesn't rain, but anyway, I'm going to let him do the pedal end. My days of contartionism are long gone.
I'll be safely ensconced for the tram crash !

Ted

SNOW (Drift No 2) - ....
Soooo, got to drive from Germany to Scotland next week in a 2WD family saloon. What are my chances ? I've got winter tyres and a Toblerone.

SNOW (Drift No 2) - Bellboy
what size toblerone is it?

SNOW (Drift No 2) - ....
HUUUUGE ! I've got one of those three in one packs...

SNOW (Drift No 2) - -
>> What are my chances ? I've got winter tyres and a Toblerone.

So long as you remember to either catch the ferry or use the train you'll be fine, is going to be RWD if so then no problems at all.

Toblerone could be useful as a wheel chock in the event Passats with leccy handbrakes are parked on hills..;)

SNOW (Drift No 2) - ....
>> Toblerone could be useful as a wheel chock in the event Passats with leccy handbrakes
>> are parked on hills..;)
>>
It's OK, it's a FWD Volvo S60 with handles and buttons designed to be operated by firemen (or UK firepersons) with gloves on so should be OK :-)

>> Toblerone could be useful as a wheel chock in the event Passats with leccy handbrakes are parked on hills..;)

Don't they auto disengage then?

To the original question on the trip.... Toblerone(s) aside I would hope the winter tyres will be of good use. You don't say how far into Scotland you are travelling though. Nor do you say you are crossing say into Dover and then driving north vs. ferry up to a northern bit of the UK.

SNOW (Drift No 2) - ....
Unfortunately I can only get t'ferry as far as Hull.
I refuse to have my car wedged up on a Mezzanine for everyone to drag their overnight bag down the side of on a DFDS crossing and I'm not sure when the Rosyth crossing ends.

At least you've avoided most of England then. One of our more northern members like Old Navy in Scotland and iffy on Yorkshire might have an opinion.

SNOW (Drift No 2) - Falkirk Bairn
Rosyth Ferry stops next week

i.e w/c 13th December

The main roads in the central belt of Scotland are OK at the moment, with some in the highlands shut. Side roads are a lottery, it is very icy, and it is snowing heavily at the moment. This batch of snow will only last a couple of hours but we have had about two inches in the last couple of hours. Snow shovel time again but I don't think we will need a JCB to get us out this time.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 6 Dec 10 at 07:32

SNOW (Drift No 2) - ....
Thanks for the updates FB and ON.
I should only be venturing as far as Embra but these things can change.

SNOW (Drift No 2) - Iffy
gmac,

You don't say which day you are travelling - forecast is milder for the end of the week.

All major roads in North Yorks, County Durham and Tyne and Wear clear of snow.

But it is bitterly cold, so there's bound to be some black ice.

SNOW (Drift No 2) - ....
Thanks Iffy.
It is at the end of the week. I keep forgetting UK weather is so changeable, the chances are all the snow will be gone and we'll be on the third pool of FLOODs by then.

>> the chances are all the snow will be gone and we'll be on the
>> third pool of FLOODs by then.
>>

You are probably right, although it is still snowing heavily in Fife and Edinburgh the temperature is around 0.5C. I have just checked the rainfall radar and the back edge of the snow is around Perth at the moment and still moving south. The forecast is for temperatures to increase through the week with a return to more normal temperatures, 5C in this area. It is going to take a long time for the accumulated and shifted snow to melt.

SNOW (Drift No 2) - Iffy
The reading for Leeming in North Yorkshire is -9°C, which is as cold as I've ever known it.

Forecast is as low as -15°C tomorrow, before warming up to plus a few degrees by the end of the week.

If I've not got a burst pipe at the caravan now, I never will have.

SNOW (Drift No 3) - L'escargot
Anyone know what it's like going over the Lincolnshire Wolds? Either A157 Louth to Wragby or A631 Louth to Market Rasen.
Thanks.

SNOW (Drift No 3) - Perky Penguin
www.bbc.co.uk/travelnews/lincolnshire/

SNOW (Drift No 3) - Dog
Message begins ... Road surface temperature is 3° lower than wot it says on your dashboard.

... Message ends.

SNOW (Drift No 3) - Clk Sec
>>3° lower than wot it says on your dashboard.

And my dashboard says -4.

SNOW (Drift No 3) - Focusless
>> Message begins ... Road surface temperature is 3° lower than wot it says on your
>> dashboard.

Not always though? If it's been warm then the higher thermal inertia (sorry I love that phrase) of the ground means it stays warmer than the air, so the air temp might be freezing but the ground isn't.

SNOW (Drift No 3) - Dog
>>Not always though?<<

Affirmative but ... it is better to err on ze side of CAUTION!

:)

SNOW (Drift No 3) - R.P.
Deep crisp frost here last night. Temp. down to -6 at around 2.00am - sun out now very warm in the sun.

SNOW (Drift No 3) - Zero
Freezing fog here in leafless Surrey. Its warmed to 0C.

SNOW (Drift No 3) - Focusless
>> Affirmative but ... it is better to err on ze side of CAUTION!

True - I suspected that although the air felt freezing this morning, the ground wasn't for reasons previously discussed. But I chose to run to the station rather than cycle just in case - much safer!

SNOW (Drift No 3) - RattleandSmoke
Really quite bad in north lincs, my 91 year old (well in two weeks time) grandpa has been finding it very difficult as his carers can't get to him.

SNOW (Drift No 3) - Skoda
Fairly difficult to get to work this morning (stupidly decided to work from office). 2.5 hours for a 25-30mins journey in good weather.

The M8 grounds to a halt, then the snow blocks cars in while they're waiting. Only a couple have shovels with them. A few folks trying to change lanes end up belly grounded across two lanes. Large sections of the 3 lane section are just 2 lanes clear over the dividing lines. Have to get out and sweep the roof every do often -- if you dont the heat from the cabin dislodges it as you brake.

Bah. Bad decision to come in. Public transport's off en-masse again. No chance of driving back out on the M8, it was stationary for miles even more so than westbound.

M74, hopefully it's passable. Did an involuntary donut on there a couple of years ago in a Corsa. Driving like a tit on an empty road though, had only myself to blame!

SNOW (Drift No 3) - RichardW
Currently sat in office in Grangemouth, watching the snow heave down as it has done all morning, looking at the traffic reports and wondering how on earth I'm going to get home to Lanark this evening....

SNOW (Drift No 3) - Skoda
>> wondering how on earth I'm going to get home to Lanark this evening....

I know a man with some reindeer, at a keen price... ;-)

I don't envy you RichardW.

SNOW (Drift No 3) - Badwolf
Reading some of your stories makes me terribly glad that I live on the North West coast of this fair land. We've not had much snow at all in Southport, but plenty of ice. This morning was particularly bad, with minor bumps a-plenty. Arriva have only been running services along the main roads as the council have refused to grit side-roads, even the ones that are bus routes. The town looks terribly pretty though, especially the parks which look very much like Narnia. Heavy frosts look wonderful on trees and bushes.

My morning commute to Chorley wasn't pleasant on Saturday. It had rained late on Friday night and then froze so the roads were like a sheet of ice. It took me twice as long as normal, and I couldn't get above 30mph all the way. Didn't stop some imbeciles from tail-gating though.

I was very grateful, once at work on Friday, that the Scania double-deckers at our garage are fitted with traction control. Without it, I'd have struggled to get out of several bus stops along the Preston-Bolton route that I normally drive.

I was off yesterday, and am unexpectedly off today due to a freak nose-related issue which I shall bore you with if you really want me to. Off tomorrow too (rostered day off this time) so hopefully by Wednesday things will have warmed up a tadge.
Last edited by: Badwolf on Mon 6 Dec 10 at 12:35

SNOW (Drift No 3) - helicopter
Well I drove to work today in SWMBO's Yaris to give it a run.... The temperature showing 0 degrees and the snow virtually gone but still the danger of ice and the idiots not leaving enough space.....

Finally got SWMBO back home from hospital on Friday after a very fraught couple of weeks in A & E and intensive care. She had a second operation last week and is still weak but a lot brighter for being home , how long she will survive my cooking is another matter......

Hospital car park was full of stranded cars and hospital transport was in chaos

A couple of other ladies waiting hospital transport to go home were left for hours because they needed 4 x 4 's ... including one 90 year old lady who was getting very distressed. Nurses were run off their feet coping with nursing very ill patients , getting people home with correct drugs and paperwork and admitting new patients onto the ward... real angels....all of them

B i L went out to get a Pizza on Friday evening in his brand new 60 reg Q5 and despite permanent 4 wheel drive advised that he went sideways returning into his road and narrowly missed a tree and road sign before heading home to change his underwear.....

SNOW (Drift No 3) - CGNorwich
A very cold night in Norwich but snow virtually gone now but didn't have much in the first place. Norfolk had escaped really lightly so far. Good luck to all of you still struggling with the snow.

-4C in N. Cheshire. Not overnight - NOW. Brrr.

Very little snow but it's a skating rin out there.

John

Really worried about the Sale job later, its quite far into Sale (near the Racecourse estate) which involves a lot of minor roads.

Need to go to lockup to pickup the christmas stuff so I I will test the waters to see how bad it is.

SNOW (Drift No 3) - BobbyG
OK Rant mode on so apologies in advance.

Last night's weather forecast said there would be heavy snowfall across the Glasgow to Edinburgh central belt this morning as the snow moved down the country.
I got up and came in sharp for work, was in work for 8am and no sign of snow.

Snow started falling baout 8.30 and it still is (so the forecasters got that bit wrong). Plenty of peole stuck in traffic that isn't moving and now they have decided to close the schools early and there are plenty of workplaces also closing.

So we now have the farce of people having to leave work cos their kids are getting sent home, causing even more gridlock. If I hear one more person say they need to leave now as apparently the roads are in a hellish state, well do you think you are going to improve them by blocking any access for ploughs and gritters???

M8 traffic cameras are showing total snowed in vehicles at Shawhead and Newhouse is a white canvas.

I might be totally wrong but I reckon if I work on, and even later, then by that time the roads will have cleared a bit and the journey home will be easier!

Grrr!!!!!

SNOW (Drift No 3) - Zero

>> Last night's weather forecast said there would be heavy snowfall across the Glasgow to Edinburgh
>> central belt this morning as the snow moved down the country.
>> I got up and came in sharp for work, was in work for 8am and
>> no sign of snow.
>>
>> Snow started falling baout 8.30 and it still is (so the forecasters got that bit
>> wrong).

Err how did they get it wrong? Is 08:30 not morning in Scotland?

SNOW (Drift No 3) - Old Navy
>>
>> Last night's weather forecast said there would be heavy snowfall across the Glasgow to
>> Edinburgh
>> central belt this morning as the snow moved down the country.
>>

I find the Met office rainfall radar more accurate than any forecast. I have been waiting for the snow to stop to start digging, the radar was spot on for the start and stop times of the snowfall as you would expect.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 6 Dec 10 at 14:23

SNOW (Drift No 3) - Dog
>>I find the Met office rainfall radar more accurate than any forecast<<

How can one differentiate betwixt rain & snow using the Met office radar?

You can't, they are both wet and fall from the sky.

Thats where the forecast and a little common sense come into play.

SNOW (Drift No 3) - Dog
>>Thats where the forecast and a little (((common sense))) come into play<<

Oh! ... I'll have to see if they do it on ebay then :}

Sorry Zero, forecast had said the snow would be confined to the morning and would be gone by lunchtime.

SNOW (Drift No 3) - madf
-11C in northermost Staffordshire..

Bracing weather. Lovely views though...

Update for central Scotland, Here in south Fife it has stopped snowing and we can see clear blue sky to the north and heading south. We have had about 5 inches of snow this morning and I expect the temperature will plummet as the sky clears.

SNOW (Drift No 3) - Dog
>>But I chose to run to the station rather than cycle just in case<<

Rather thee than me tovarich - I'll get the bullworker out later :-)

SNOW (Drift No 3) - L'escargot
I grit my teeth every time I overtake a gritting lorry. But then I remember it's only salt, which is much softer than grit, and less likely to chip my car's paintwork as I pass.

Remember January? Cold & snow. Well it seems it was like that in the US too. US relatives of wife visited in October and he remarked that his snow blade, which attaches to his lawn tractor wasn't up to the job, for the first time in ten years. So he had to tinker for a little while to get his snow blower attachment working. That did the trick!

We're just not prepared are we? We can't really gripe about councils/government/railways when most of us don't bother to buy winter tyres or chains or even a bag of salt.

John

Local radio here now reporting various people been stuck in their cars for 5 and 6 hours!

Any H&S reps out there?

I hear conflicting stories re snow clearing, one school of thought being that if you clear the snow from your property, car parks etc and someone slips, falls then you can be held liable but if you leave it as it is then you are not?

I am in the mood for arguing this if anyone has any info to support......

SNOW (Drift No 3) - Iffy
...I am in the mood for arguing this if anyone has any info to support...

Read a quote from someone from, I think, a council environment department, to say the liability thing is an urban myth.

His view was pavement clearing is a neighbourly thing to do.
Last edited by: Iffy on Mon 6 Dec 10 at 15:16

The woman who runs the HSE has said as much too. She blames a lot of HSE nonsense on empire builders, idiots and (cough) minor officials.
John

ps sorry Bobby. If you're bored we could play Battleship?
John

Done the lockup duties I was sliding about there once out of the car as it was not gritted. The Panda once again performed brlliantly on the ice.

The temperatures are very cold though, the first few minutes the engine sounded like a clapped out diesel as the thin oil got up to temperature and I could see the steam coming out of my mouth even as I sat in the car.

SNOW (Drift No 3) - madf
>> The woman who runs the HSE has said as much too. She blames a lot
>> of HSE nonsense on empire builders, idiots and (cough) minor officials.
>> John
>>

A typical response.. Always someone else's fault. It's not the rules but their interpretation...

A cop out.. If the HSE want to be credible, they should offer guidance... Since they do not, or it is ignored, they get blamed. Quite rightly too.

"A cop out.. If the HSE want to be credible, they should offer guidance... Since they do not, or it is ignored, they get blamed. Quite rightly too."

Can't really win can they?

Here is the guidance they issue which seems eminently sensible

www.direct.gov.uk/en/Nl1/Newsroom/DG_191868

On the basis of this quote from the link I'll leave my pavements alone!

There's no law stopping you from clearing snow and ice on the pavement outside your home or from public spaces. It's UNLIKELY you'll be sued or held legally responsible for any injuries on the path if you have cleared it carefully. Follow the snow code when clearing snow and ice safely.

"Unlikely" does not mean that you won't get sued my some firm of ambulance chasers! There is no law saying you have got to clear it (unlike in Germany) so don't do it.

Very neighbourly of you.

SNOW (Drift No 3) - Clk Sec
I don't think it has anything to do with how neighbourly you are. If you clear snow from the pavement in front of your house, you may end up forking out a hefty sum for your trouble.

That's the way I see it, anyway.
Last edited by: Clk Sec on Mon 6 Dec 10 at 17:44

I think it has everything to do with being neighbourly. if everyone cleared the snow from outside their house or shop it would greatly help pedestrians including the old and infirm who suffer most in this weather.

Sheltering behind the excuse of some theoretical possibility of legal action is a little pathetic. I don't think there has ever been a successful case in England of this type and it is difficult to see how such negligence could be established if you cleared the snow in a reasonable manner.

People in this country really need to do something to help one and other rather than just bleating about the inadequacies of the council.
 SNOW (Drift No 3) - Zero
>> I think it has everything to do with being neighbourly. if everyone cleared the snow
>> from outside their house or shop it would greatly help pedestrians including the old and
>> infirm who suffer most in this weather.

No it wouldnt. Most of the clods who do it leave huge piles of snow to negotiate round, forcing some people to walk in the road. Usually they don't do it properly either leaving nice icy slippy patches rather than deeper snow to walk in.

It would be better if they left the stuff alone. Evolution has designed us to walk in snow up to a foot thick, we haven't evolved with ice skates on our feet or shovels in our hands.

SNOW (Drift No 3) - Zhukov
Not sure if it has been mentioned before but due to the amount of posts..

Thank you very much Edinburgh Council for taking my council tax and the £80 a year I have to pay you for the privilage of parking in my street and neither gritting or taking a snow plow along the street and those surrounding it.

I have just spent an hour having to dig myself into a space and will have to spend maybe double that tomorrow to dig myself back out.

It takes longer to get out of Edinburgh than it took to drive up the A9 to Inverness last Thursday.

Yes - I certainly am !!!!! I deliver 60 copies of the parish magazine round the village on foot, I am the village Flood Warden, I take blind people to hospital by car and I take my neighbour's wheelie bins off the pavement when they have been emptied. On that basis I am doing enough and I am not going to clear snow off the council's pavement, do it badly and get sued! Next snide comment please! Thank you Clk Sec for your sensible comment.
Last edited by: Perky Penguin (p) on Mon 6 Dec 10 at 17:52
Clear the pavement ! I am not sure where it is under the five foot piles of snow left by the JCB.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 6 Dec 10 at 17:55

I haven't got a pavement :-)

John

Latest Forum Posts