Motoring Discussion > Mitsubishi Outlander II - Mitsubishi Outlander GX4 review Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Manatee Replies: 14

Mitsubishi Outlander II - Mitsubishi Outlander GX4 review - Manatee
I'm wondering myself Bobby! Buying a new car is never logical is it?

As you know I think the CRV 2 is a really good car. Mine had done 95,000 miles and logically I should probably have kept it, but I had a bit of an itch. Apart from an alternator last August, nothing had gone wrong with it, but a lot of man maths, the virtual certainty of rampant inflation, the proximity of 100,000+miles and imagined expensive failures like clutches, turbos, injectors, fuel pumps etc added up to just enough impetus.

The trouble was finding anything I liked as much as the CRV. I was offered a very good deal on a new CRV diesel auto EX with advanced safety pack, but the real world economy on them is not that great - sub 30 locally I'm told, and mid 30s on longer extra urban runs. I was getting 40+ from the CRV. It made no sense to go backwards in fuel economy with diesel going up the way it is. (I couldn't get the same deal on a manual)

Full size 4x4s like Rangies, Discos, X5s are all heavy on fuel and bigger than I want. I like the Freelander 2, but they get expensive when you spec them up. I nearly bought a Superb 4x4 estate last year but big as it is it felt quite cramped in front compared with the CRV. I didn't like the Tiguan, Kuga, which feel a bit small, and the Korean options just don't appeal - illogical, but there it is. BTW - I've just had a look at the Kuga - you need to add a few extras to get to the Outlander GX4 spec, which takes the list price past £30k - and that's without full leather which isn't available. The new X3 appealed, but again much too expensive specced up.

On a whim I called in to a Mitsubishi dealer and saw the Outlander. I drove a GX3 manual and was impressed. Big space for 4/5 people, plus good cargo space, and a very good drive. I preferred the Mitsubishi engine so the Peugeot/Citroen were not an option. I was offered a poor deal, but got a better one from another dealer.

I have probably spent more than I should have but over 5-8 years (I expect to put fewer miles on this than the CRV) it won't matter too much and I'd rather have what I'm happy with.

What don't I like? 9,000 mile servicing, underslung space saver spare (but I prefer the drop down / lift up tailgate to the CRV's side hinged), and that mediocre sat nav - if I'd known about that it might have put me off - but then I might have missed out on a generally excellent car.

Messages Author Date
 Mitsubishi Outlander II - Mitsubishi Outl.. new Manatee 29 Apr 11 01:08
 Mitsubishi Outlander II - Mitsubishi Out.. new Videodoctor 29 Apr 11 13:05
 Mitsubishi Outlander II - Mitsubishi Ou.. new Manatee 29 Apr 11 17:11
 Mitsubishi Outlander II - Mitsubishi Out.. new Bill Payer 29 Apr 11 13:42
 Mitsubishi Outlander II - Mitsubishi Ou.. new Lygonos 29 Apr 11 16:26
 Mitsubishi Outlander II - Mitsubishi O.. new Zero 29 Apr 11 16:29
 Mitsubishi Outlander II - Mitsubishi .. new BobbyG 29 Apr 11 21:44
 Mitsubishi Outlander II - Mitsub.. new Manatee 29 Apr 11 23:34
 Mitsubishi Outlander II - Mitsubis.. new Lygonos 30 Apr 11 08:58
 Mitsubishi Outlander II - Mitsubi.. new Manatee 30 Apr 11 11:17
 Mitsubishi Outlander II - Mitsub.. new - 30 Apr 11 12:21