Motoring Discussion > Vauxhall Insignia - Insignia woes
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 16

Vauxhall Insignia - Insignia woes - smokie
Mate has an Insignia less than 18 months old, he bought it from a respectable dealer about two months ago. One problem reported but not rectified in first 30 days - stationary at lights, feet of pedals and revs started to rise. Yesterday it conked out on him while on the move - AA said no fault code shown.

He's thinking it might be a bit of a dog.

Can he request his money back or an exchange after two moths under SoGA?
 Vauxhall Insignia - Insignia woes - Runfer D'Hills
This chap's a friend of your's and you let him buy a Vauxhall? I see. Some revenge motive buried in here somewhere or what?

:-)
 Vauxhall Insignia - Insignia woes - -
Contact dealer, let them interrogate the vehicle properly with Vauxhall's system.

I doubt the AA patrol's electronic gear is clever enough to get into the finer details of a car's memory.
 Vauxhall Insignia - Insignia woes - RattleandSmoke
The law assumes within the first six months the fault was present when he bought it, he has every right to reject the car. He dosn't even need to give the dealer a chance to fix it (which is a widely believed myth) however he should at least give the dealer a chance to fix it. If he can't find what the problem is then its time to reject the car.

If it was me I would just reject the car, Stu has had some success with that on a much older car as he could prove the problems where there when he bought it.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Sat 25 Jun 11 at 14:16
 Vauxhall Insignia - Insignia woes - Biggles
Rats: I believe they are looking for a legal expert on the other place to replace Lucy. Ever thought of offering your services? Or put another way, I have no idea where you got your idea that you can reject a purchase without offering the seller the chance to repair.
 Vauxhall Insignia - Insignia woes - L'escargot
Which? magazine says ............ tinyurl.com/6f33plo
See the paragraph entitled "If you want to get your money back".

There's lots of authoratitive information available by googling for "sale of goods act".

Last edited by: L'escargot on Sat 25 Jun 11 at 14:30
 Vauxhall Insignia - Insignia woes - DP
The word "reasonable" applies in many areas of consumer legislation.

I doubt a request for a refund without giving the seller a chance to inspect the item and put it right would be considered reasonable, unless the fault had occurred within a couple of weeks of purchase.
Last edited by: DP on Sat 25 Jun 11 at 16:01
 Vauxhall Insignia - Insignia woes - spamcan61
I can't find the thread now but we had a discussion here a few weeks back after a guy bought a s/h car, found a fault, had it repaired and sent the supplying dealer the bill (around 2.5K IIRC). They took him to court and he won.
 Vauxhall Insignia - Insignia woes - Zero
so is the car being fixed? what was the issue?
 Vauxhall Insignia - Insignia woes - madf
History says that anyone buying a Vauxhall is buying second rate engineering. It's GM remember...their last innovation was the electric starter motor.
The was a big article in last weeks Auto Express about rejecting cars, and it clearly stated it was a myth that you need to give the seller a chance to fix it. In the case of expensive cars the law is clearly on the consumers side.

The same does not apply to old bangers, if you buy a £300 banger of a trader there is element of what did you expect but it still has to fit for purpose.
 Vauxhall Insignia - Insignia woes - Bigtee
This one is in the 3rs vauxhall warranty so it needs to go on Tech 2 to see what the problems are, and at least give vauxhall the chance to fix it before you winge for money back.
I agree, he does need to give the dealer a chance, but according to the Auto Express article there is no obligation to by law.
 Vauxhall Insignia - Insignia woes - PeterS
>> I agree, he does need to give the dealer a chance, but according to the
>> Auto Express article there is no obligation to by law.
>>

If the "Which" link above is correct Rattle then I think you (or Autoexpresss...) are muddling a few things up

It's quite clear that if you buy something that turns out to be faulty you can reject it and get your money back. You have to do this in a 'reasonable' time; however the article explicitly says that even with something like a car you only have 3 or 4 weeks to exercise this right.

It then goes on to say that in the event of a fault in the first 6 months of ownership the it's up to the retailer to prove that the goods were fit for purpose, and the onus is on them to prove the fault was caused by the purchaser. That's not the same as having the right to reject in the first 6 months by a long shot.

Peter
 Vauxhall Insignia - Insignia woes - smokie
>> so is the car being fixed? what was the issue?
>>

Car was dropped off today, waiting on the verdict. They've given him something small and white to use...
 Vauxhall Insignia - Insignia woes - AnotherJohnH
>> They've given him something small and white to use...

Rattle's Panda?
 Vauxhall Insignia - Insignia woes - mikeyb
Keep getting Insignia's as hire cars at the moment - all 1800 petrols. Dire effort, but a shame as if feels well screwed together
Latest Forum Posts