Motoring Discussion > Mitsubishi Outlander II - Driving in France Legal Questions
Thread Author: Colonel Mustard Replies: 16

Mitsubishi Outlander II - Driving in France - Colonel Mustard
Hi I am a UK resident taking my Mitsubishi Outlander GX4 (11plate) to France on holiday.

Couple of questions:

Do I need to fit Headlamp Beam Deflectors - the vehicle comes with auto leveling Headlamps, HID (xenon)?

Secondly, trying to find a spare bulb kit - any suppliers you would recommend (Mitusbishi don't seem to supply a kit)

Cheers
 Mitsubishi Outlander II - Driving in France - Bromptonaut
If you were French & asking the question in reverse on Voitures4jouer I'd expect you to go for beam deflectors. Le meme en Royaume-Uni!!! .

As to bulbs it is appreciated that HID lamps and modern fittings can be difficult to service at the roadside. But that doesn't absolve users from carrying spare indicator, stop/tail and reverse etc bulbs. These are generally available from Halfords.
 Mitsubishi Outlander II - Driving in France - Dutchie
click-parts.co.uk/content/Spare-Bulb-Kit-H1-H4-H7.php?gclid=CIyQg5zH8qkCFYpB4QodhW67

give these a ring.
 Mitsubishi Outlander II - Driving in France - FocalPoint
"...en Royaume-Uni..."

Oh dear. That should be AU Royaume-Uni.

Masculine country - au (e.g. AU Japon)
Feminine country - en (e.g. EN France)
Plural country - aux (e.g. AUX Etats-Unis)

Here endeth the lesson.
 Mitsubishi Outlander II - Driving in France - Manatee
I should know, because I have one of these, but I can't remember whether the headlamps dip symmetrically or not. Stop a few feet from your garage door, or a wall, and have a look - if, and only if, the beam cuts off higher on the left than the right, you'll need to make some adaptation if you want to do things properly. It will be obvious.

Whether that is a prismatic deflector (if available), a mask, or an adjustment on the headlamp the dealer should be able to tell you - but probably can't, judging by my experience of asking questions like this.

The manual doesn't seem to mention it, unless I just can't find it.

Regarding spare bulbs - the bulb details are on page 8-24 of the manual as you have probably found, but of course the rear stop/tail lamps are multi-LEDs, as are the turn repeaters in the mirrors. These and the HID headlamps are a dealer job anyway. You could just carry the a couple of WY21W lamps for the front/rear indicators to show willing, and maybe one or two W5W for the front position lights.

Is yours manual too? We should compare notes - I've never met anyone else who has one!

EDIT - you might try Mitsibishi customer services (email from their website) on the beam issue if they are assymmetrical. I asked them a technical question and they responded in a day or so with a sensible answer.

Last edited by: Manatee on Fri 8 Jul 11 at 23:22
Hi

Thanks for the post. Mitsubishi customer services have confirmed that I require headlamp protectors (part number SP038088) priced at £32.26 + VAT and the bulb kit (part number MME61706) priced at £14.79 + VAT.

Both parts availble from my local Mitsubishi dealer.
Thanks for the update - I checked the beams only today and they are assymetrical as you have obviously discovered, and you saved me the trouble of looking back for the thread!

By bulb kit you mean the spares? So the 'protectors' must be 'deflectors' as well?
Last edited by: Manatee on Wed 13 Jul 11 at 21:18
Will confirm as soon as I hear back from dealer!

Cheers for now

PS Love the Outlander!
 Mitsubishi Outlander II - Driving in France - The Grocer
I realise this is an old discussion, but is it possible to convert RHD dip to LHD dip on the Outlander ?

I an about to import my Outie into France....or do I have to buy new headlights? They are EXPENSIVE
 Mitsubishi Outlander II - Driving in France - WillDeBeest
We have experts here on both Mitsubishis and France. I'm neither but my first thought is to ask whether the lights have a 'flat' mode. My MB lights do and that's what I use when I take it to France. (In fact, I neglected to switch it back last summer and have found it perfectly ok through an English winter and an MoT.)

I suspect a French inspector would not care about illuminating the right-hand verge so long as the lights were not set to dazzle drivers approaching from the front left.
 Mitsubishi Outlander II - Driving in France - jc2
Carrying spare bulbs is NOT a legal requirement in France-just a strong recommendation.
 Mitsubishi Outlander II - Driving in France - Duncan
>> I realise this is an old discussion, but is it possible to convert RHD dip
>> to LHD dip on the Outlander ?
>>
>> I an about to import my Outie into France....or do I have to buy new
>> headlights? They are EXPENSIVE
>>

Welcome aboard, The Grocer.

Are you a grocer in the sense that you sell food?

Or do you sell in the gross i.e. a wholesale dealer in spices and peppers?
 Mitsubishi Outlander II - Driving in France - Armel Coussine
>> Welcome aboard, The Grocer.

>> Are you a grocer in the sense that you sell food?

>> Or do you sell in the gross i.e. a wholesale dealer in spices and peppers?

Or are you Edward Heath surging back from the grave to terrify us?

If you're just a comestibles purveyor, welcome of course. Got any asafoetida? You can't get it round here.
 Mitsubishi Outlander II - Driving in France - helicopter
Yes you can.......

Sussex Wholefoods in Brighton.
 Mitsubishi Outlander II - Driving in France - Armel Coussine
>> Sussex Wholefoods in Brighton.

Thank you helicopter.

>>Got any asafoetida? You can't get
>> it round here.

Rubbing that on his headlights will not solve the problem.
 Mitsubishi Outlander II - Driving in France - Gromit
If the Outlander does need headlamp beam deflectors, the Eurolite ones are considerably cheaper bought from Amazon than on the high street or ferry.

They're a pig to remove, though (which bodes well for their staying put on the headlight, I guess) - I've found it best to have the headlights on full beam to warm the lens before peeling them off, then cleaning off the leftover glue (and there will be leftover glue!) with neat screenwash.

Don't use anything containing acetone - it can cause crazing of some plastic surfaces that's impossible to remove afterwards.
Latest Forum Posts