Motoring Discussion > Unusual Sightings Volume 12   [Read only] Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 100

Unusual Sightings Volume 12 - R.P.

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 13 *****

Sightings of the good bad and the downright ugly...

Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 29 Aug 11 at 00:50

.derob tsuj - nosrep dab a em ekam t'nseoD

Mod alert - bathtub tom
I think it's about time someone got themselves another vehicle. ;>)

Unusual Sightings Volume 12 - Zero
>> .derob tsuj

!dessip yas dluow I

Anyway, did a 220 mile road trip to Market Drayton (of all places - Nice Wetherspoons) by motorcycle - on the A40 saw quite a few Sunbeam Alpines (I think around three) also an immaculate Lotus Europa in JPS (fags) Black - nice car that.

Unusual Sightings Volume 12 - Manatee
>>on the A40 saw quite a few Sunbeam Alpines (I think around three) also an immaculate Lotus Europa in JPS (fags) Black - nice car that.

Possibly on the way back from Silverstone, 3 day Classic event. I was taken up there yesterday by a proper motoring enthusiast friend, who drives his cars rather than pampering them, in his 1978 308 GT4.

Apparently they were aiming to get 1,000 E types there for the 50th anniversary. I don't know whether they managed it, but if not they were very close - gathered four abreast as far as I could see, I'll link a picture when I've uploaded them.

There was really too much to look at.

Unusual Sightings Volume 12 - bathtub tom
Classics on the common Wednesday 27/07 www.classicsonthecommon.com/index.htm

Anyone else going?

Unusual Sightings Volume 12 - Armel Coussine
This afternoon, on an A road three miles from here, coming the other way, a magnificent very early thirties Lagonda 4.5 litre barchetta, a stark sporting two-seater with round tail and cycle-type wings - but curvaceous ones - in a shiny dark ruby red. Radiator cowl had that golden glow of quality thirties nickel plate. Gorgeous and probably worth a king's ransom.

Unusual Sightings Volume 12 - Runfer D'Hills
Really quite early this morning on the lower reaches of the M1. I was bowling along at a determined enough pace when I caught sight of a fast gaining pair of vehicles in my mirrors. Both "11" registered the same make / models differentiated only by colour, one red and one black. Clearly racing. Both being piloted by concentrated looking chaps in shirts and ties. They shot past me well into licence shredding territory. Oddly enough though they weren't 318 diesels or even A4s, the blooming things were Prius(s) What the heck's the plural of Prius anyway?

It just didn't seem right somehow. It felt uncomfortable in the way watching a pair of maiden aunts naked mud-wrestling would. You couldn't help looking but immediately wished you hadn't sort of thing.

My goodness..

Unusual Sightings Volume 12 - Kevin
>the blooming things were Prius(s)

On the the way back from Yorkshire a few weeks ago I came up behind a Prius on the A34 between Oxford and Newbury. Well driven and doing three digits.

>It felt uncomfortable in the way watching a pair of maiden aunts naked mud-wrestling would.

Was that really necessary? BBD might be reading.

I forgot to mention a very pretty little 1970 Hillman Avenger in a flat green for sale outside a second hand car dealer's joint in Denbigh - seemed very nostalgic in a way down to a set of nice RoStyle wheels which may have betrayed a Webber breathing motor. The black and white period plates suited it down to the ground.
Last edited by: R.P. on Mon 25 Jul 11 at 22:01

On the Old Portsmouth Road on Saturday afternoon

Two Audi Q7's One white with full police markings full blue lights and headlight flashers on, being chased by an Unmarked black one with its hidden blue lights in the grill and screen flashing away.
Very Very fast in a 40 mph limit.

Saw a cracking accident today. Won't say where obviously. However, the scenario was two lanes of a motorway exit slip joining a roundabout. I'm in lane two at the head of the queue, bloke in lane one next to me is on a hand held phone while driving and waiting for a suitable gap in the roundabout. He decides to creep forward despite there being no gap. Bloke behind him thinks "right we're off" and promptly wallops him up the back bumper quite effectively. Nothing very unusual about that except for the bit where due to the force of the impact the guy on the phone rakes the device down the side of his face causing it to draw blood. I know it wasn't funny and must have been distressing for both parties but you know...

:-))

Thats a hell of a killer mobile phone, It must have been a motorola razr

From what I could see he basically tried to tear his own ear off with it. Or insert it maybe. Wasn't a happy looking camper anyway...

Unusual Sightings Volume 12 - henry k
Reminds me of this little gem

"Honk if you love Jesus! Text while driving if you'd like to meet him"

Unusual Sightings Volume 12 - Alanovich
Some oddities on the M25 late last night.

A Finnish registered, right hand drive Citroen C2. A British registered, left hand drive Jaguar XK, roof down at 10pm doing about 70. Kudos there.

And a D reg BMW 525e, 1980s sloping-inwards-grille shape. Looked about the same size as a modern day Focus saloon. Tidy motor. I seem to only start liking BMWs once they're about 20 years old at least, and unmodified of course.

And no pink cars at all in Essex, all the way to Colchester and back. Not even a stretch limo, not even a pink alloy wheel to be seen. Bizarre. Weekday, I suppose.

Less surpisingly, I was tailgated by a Range Rover with Xenon headlights on full blare through the 50-limited (specs controlled) roadwords on the northern section, whilst I was passing several trucks at an indicated 55. As soon as I moved left, he blatted away, only to stand on the anchors again when coming up the trumpet of the next victim. A punch in the nose would surely be richly deserved for such morons.

Unusual Sightings Volume 12 - Mike Hannon
>>A British registered, left hand drive Jaguar XK, roof down at 10pm doing about 70. Kudos there.<<

Driving with the roof down just after dusk on a summer or autumn evening is the best way of all to enjoy a convertible, IMHO.

Indeed, Mike.

And just to clarify, it was a classic one, in red, like these:

www.jagxk.com/

Not one of the 21st century jobs.

Unusual Sightings Volume 12 - Iffy
...Driving with the roof down just after dusk on a summer or autumn evening is the best way of all to enjoy a convertible...

Another one is early on a bright, frosty, winter morning, hat, scarf, heated seats on.

Too hot for the roof down in the heat of the noonday sun.

Convertibles need air conditioning, same as any other car.

There were quite a few old XKs at Classics-on-the-common yesterday. A wonderful afternoon/evening that was absolutely rammed with people, thanks to the weather.

I saw an Amphicar for the first time. Chatting to the driver, he reckoned there were only five left in the country.

Liverpool City Cente - by the Royal Liver Building - a veritable squadron of Land Rovers, everything shiny brand-new, there was a good dozen if not more of Rangies, Discos, Evoques, Freelanders - apparently a foreign press launch - driving around iconic UK sites and sights. The Evoque is painfully pretty amongst the drab Euro-boxes - especially nice in a deep red, I may be tempted away one day.

There was some kind of RR event round Sunningdale way last weekend. More Evoques than you can shake a stick at. Some stopping to swap pilots.

I remain sceptical, something about it jars my ugly erogenous zone. It looks too much like a squashed frog. too much body line and not enough window/roof.

I think it possibly looks its best in a cityscape....colours are important as well. Smart looking motor...very avant garde interior....should sell by the bucket full.

Just had a lunchtime stroll and spotted what appeared to be a 140 year old driving a C reg Citroen Visa (red, 5 doors), on half inflated tyres. Can't be many of those bean cans left.

Just the other day, parked next to me when I came out of the local big Tesco, a well-used but obviously properly maintained dark blue AC Ace roadster. Glancing at the boot badge to see whether it was a Bristol-engined example, I was surprised to see that it was in fact a Cobra.

I must be losing my eye. But in my defence, it was obviously the very first Cobra, with a small V8, wheel-arches only very slightly flared (not grossly muscular looking like later 7 litre examples), fairly narrow tyres on wire wheels, disc brakes front only.

Definitely the sort of Cobra I would like to be able to afford.

Unusual Sightings Volume 12 - franfran
Saw a red (1980s?) Chevrolet Corvette in a mechanic's workshop at Croydon this morning.

BMW Z1 in Reading this morning. Those must be very rare. This one was F reg, black.

And I just spotted a Daimler Dart (burgundy) and a Nissan Bluebird ZX Turbo (red, 5 door) heading in opposite directions over Caversham bridge.

Unusual Sightings Volume 12 - Ted

Woken this morning by a small, single man, road roller......nothing unusual...they're doing our footpaths.

But he was steering with one hand, the other outstretched behind him towing a wacker plate !He came back 30 seconds later still towing it !

Turned into side road near home yesterday and nearly burnt me retinas out. Parked up was a Micra convertible in the brightest nipple pink you ever did see !

Ted

An UMM four wheel drive, on operational duty with the Dordogneshire fire brigade. I wonder what you'd buy if public spending cuts made you economise from that?

Upper reaches of the northbound M5 on Thurday pm I think it was. An apparently pristine "K" plate ( 1973?) white Renault 4. Being driven at a suitably sedate pace in lane 1 by a an arty looking lady.

A guy I know who was far too big really to fit comfortably in a R4 drove a maroon one of those for years. It took him as far as the Greek Islands and back on more than one occasion. Then he got married, had kids, started a business, you know how it is. Got alll E Class estateified for a while. Retired now though, last seen in a CRV.

Unusual Sightings Volume 12 - Stuu
Very battered H reg Granada saloon clunking along the A14 at Huntingdon. Looked very much like it had rear-ended something such was the crinkly bonnet, didnt look long for this world.

Quite rare these days.

Unusual Sightings Volume 12 - Dave_
>> H reg Granada saloon

I saw one of those in Hinckley last week. A common sight not so long ago, extremely rare now. An old friend once "rescued" a Granny saloon from being scrapped, but not before it had been craned onto a low-loader. He drove it for a year with kinks in the top of both front window frames from the lifting straps.

A Ford Consul Capri towing a caravan just West of Cambridge on the A428.

One of these: tinyurl.com/3fale33
Last edited by: bathtub tom on Sun 31 Jul 11 at 00:23

Drool, drool. I hope it had the 1500 engine...

Very pure simple lines - we used to call these "Star Cars" when we were kids.

A neighbour of ours had one when I was a child. My father always referred to him as a "Civil Servant" in a way which told you he didn't think that was quite the right sort of occupation for a chap.

:-)

Probably wore beige faux suede shoes.

At work

Passed on the autoroute by a gorgeous white Mercedes 220SE convertible, about 1970.
Ambient temperature about 25 deg, sunny, and he had the top up. If you don't have it down then, when do you?
Which prompts the recollection, in turn, that today I saw a number of folding tintop 'coupe/convertibles and not one had the top down. Maybe they're afraid they won't seal up again? At least all the 2CVs I saw had their canvas rolled back.

Unusual Sightings Volume 12 - franfran
I was in Chippendale at lunchtime and saw a light blue Ford Thunderbird convertible going down Cleveland Street. A bit of googling tells me it was a 1961-3 model.

More of an "Unusual Sitting" really. Neighbour of mine has the latest edition factory demonstrator home for the weekend of the Bentley Mulsanne ( it's his job ) Anyway, earlier this evening my son and I were on his drive admiring it while he cleaned it.

Much to our delight he's just taken us for a run in it. From south Cheshire through the country lanes taking in some beautiful scenery on a sunny summer's evening towards the Welsh border and back. Now I had said that even if I were in a position to afford the quarter of a million or so to buy one that I couldn't imagine doing so. I just didn't get it really.

I do now. It's exquisite. Of course I shall never own one but I can now see the attraction. Magc carpet crossed with a gentleman's club on steroids, bursting with high tech disguised as traditional motoring. Real everything. Very very pleasing thing indeed. Goes a bit too.

Nicely put.

>Magc carpet crossed with a gentleman's club on steroids,

You don't need to spend Bentley money Humph.

An XJ or XF to replace that QuashQuai?

Better the Bentley than the Roller, which is after all a bit Mock Tudor.

A Bentley has always had a bit more class then a roller. Jags are driven by cads and criminals.

Mock Tudor.

Hee Hee,,,

>Jags are driven by cads and criminals.

You don't think a Jag would be suitable for Humph?

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=7111&m=158320&v=e

Hmm You may be right.

Mind I bet the Bentley had a very good cigarette lighter, probably why he was so impressed.

>>Magic carpet crossed with a gentleman's club on steroids, bursting with high tech disguised as traditional motoring. Real everything. Very very pleasing thing indeed. Goes a bit too. <<

Not quite in the same league price-wise (although it was once) but that's exactly what I thought when I drove a 1994 Continental R a few years ago. And that was better looking, in my opinion. Although things turned out very well I am eternally regretful that when faced with the prospect of actually owning the 'car of my dreams' I lost my nerve and didn't buy it.

BTW Z, I am neither a cad nor, to the best of my knowledge, a criminal. Over decades I've known lots of really nice people who just like Jaguars for their unique ambience at reasonable money. Mind you, I've never had the slightest desire to belong to the Jaguar Enthusiasts' Club, so they might all be different...

>> BTW Z, I am neither a cad nor, to the best of my knowledge, a
>> criminal.

Just means you have never made it yet. Cads and criminals I tell you.

I would love a Jag.

OK then, sod it. I'll delay paying the rates...then see if I can find a pile of empty cardboard boxes to drive through when they come knocking for the money.

That's the ticket, don't forget to wear the string backed gloves when you kill the cardboard boxes.

Can't - they are in the glovebox in the Prelude.

>> Of course I shall never own one but I can
>> now see the attraction.

There's a very practical and cheap way in to a Bentley, Humph. It's called a second hand VW Phaeton.

Unusual Sightings Volume 12 - zookeeper
i was following a vauxhall astra this afternoon and its rear wiper blade had been replaced with a green washing up sponge tied on with an elastic band
asking to get stopped one would of thought?

>> asking to get stopped one would of thought?

Not sure why, a rear wiper is not an MOT tested item, nor is it required under construction and use regulations.

thats handy zero, my rear wiper doesnt work on the polo..but not for long my trustee haynes manual (£3.00 ebay) arrived the other day and not one page is soiled hope thats a reflection on vw reliability bar silly things like windscreen wipers :) fingers crossed

Unusual Sightings Volume 12 - Alastairw
I imagine the sponge was there to stop the wiper arm scratching the glass, particularly if the rear wiper is triggered by engaging reverse.

Unusual Sightings Volume 12 - Old Navy
A white BMC Wolsley 1800 (Landcrab) in Edinburgh this afternoon. In good condition and sitting high on its Hydrolastic suspension.

An Opel Manta GT/E. Black, clearly looked after, on an F registration.

Unusual Sightings Volume 12 - crocks
An Alpine A610 in bright yellow driving near the A3 in SW London.

(Just over the road the 4x4 dealer had removed around 20 cars from the forecourt on police advice so not a good day to be too conspicuous! )

i keep seeing a mint maestro in the village , its sort of terra cotta in colour, would that be an original shade?

Found in Egham on Monday, light restoration project perhaps?

s606.photobucket.com/albums/tt148/know_wun/unusual%20sightings/

Looks like the metal's better than the paint, I can't see any holes.

Unusual Sightings Volume 12 - Clk Sec
Is it a Morris?

Austin Somerrrrset...

Arrrrrrr yer tis

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austin_A40_Somerset

Nobody on here has ever heard my voice...

Oi'll give ee arrrrrr. Woss think thee'rt about?

blog.jameslist.com/2009/fat-cat-rocketsports-racing-jaguar-xkr/

I saw an XKR going North on the A55 on Anglesey last evening. It was running on its own paws - a clone of the car in this image down to the very ostentatious spoiler. The only reason I could think of is that Ty Croes circuit (where Fifth Gear do their circuit filming) is just up the road..... a mighty and fearsome looking cat it was...

Used to get an occasional shot of a TWR XJS years ago. It had been Tom Walkinshaw's own car until a girlfriend's father bought it. He stupidly used to let me take her out in it and then drive myself home in it after I'd dropped her home. Many long rapid night runs ensued....Only trouble was, it was one of the first cars I'd ever encountered with a phone in it. He sometimes used to ring me in it to find out where I was...Er, Um...just down the road...a bit...back soon...Tum Ti Tum...

:-)

Unusual Sightings Volume 12 - Bagpuss
Saw an immaculate Jaguar XJ12 Coupe today. Gold with a black vinyl roof, professionally restored to a condition that brand new Jaguars in the mid 70s could only dream of. For sale, 18,000 Euros. Best looking Jag ever in my opinion.

crap aircon tho.....

Unusual Sightings Volume 12 - Bagpuss
>> crap aircon tho.....

Er, no. German restoration with Bosch fuel injection and Behr air conditioning.

Though I would be happy with all the windows wound down and lackof B Pillar feeling like my Merc W124 Coupe.

Tell the truth Humph - I understand. When the phone rang you were always standing on a garage forecourt, yes?

Sorry...what?....you're breaking up....fzzzzz....

Unusual Sightings Volume 12 - Dave_
Today's most unusual sighting was parked next to my car at Asda this morning... A 1984 B reg Citroen 2CV in blue paint/ black hammerite /silver duct tape. It had a local registration and an original local dealer sticker. It only had the driver's seat fitted, with a selection of what appeared to be tartan picnic blankets covering the rest of the floor, but it was taxed until the middle of 2012 so it must have passed an MoT since the last election. Maybe Rattle should take the Fiesta to the same garage next year?
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Thu 18 Aug 11 at 13:49

Almost missed it this morning in town - what looked like a last of the line E-Type - British Racing Green, V12 engined E-type convertible - not to everyone's taste but certainly to me the nicest looking of the E's - I could never get on with the earlier ones. I had pictures of these stuck up on my wall, I really wanted one.
Last edited by: R.P. on Fri 19 Aug 11 at 08:34

>>a last of the line E-Type - British Racing Green, V12 engined E-type convertible - not to everyone's taste but certainly to me the nicest looking of the E's - I could never get on with the earlier ones<<

+1. Looks even better with the hardtop.

Am I the only person in the world who thinks the much sought-after early E-type 3.8 looks like a streamlined bathtub on wheels?
>> Am I the only person in the world who thinks the much sought-after early E-type 3.8 looks like a streamlined bathtub on wheels?

You may be Mike. I always thought it looked like something drawn by an overgrown schoolboy on a paper napkin. Which it was actually - Sir William Lyons did the doodle and ordered his techies to 'make that', more or less.

So I'm not an admirer of any E Type (although the C Type is another matter of course). But I certainly prefer the early coupes, of which the 3.8 was the best (because that was the best Jaguar straight six engine) to the bloated-looking V12 E Type... sorry PU, but there it is...

E types? they all look good as long as there is no roof on it.

>> all look good as long as there is no roof on it.

Not the bloated V12.

I agree though that all XK roadsters are appealing. 120 is the pick of the bunch, but 140 and 150 are nice too.

>> >> all look good as long as there is no roof on it.
>>
>> Not the bloated V12.

yeah, even the bloated V12

www.motorsportmagazine.co.uk/2010/07/19/2009-auction-results/
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 19 Aug 11 at 16:38

I totally and wholeheartedly agree with Mike Hannon..

>> yeah, even the bloated V12

No, not the bloated V12, not even that immaculate, well-photographed and remarkably unbloated-looking example Zero.

Some mouthwatering horseflesh down the list though Zeddo, with even more eyewatering prices in some cases, including for the black XK120 roadster... but it was nothing compared to the real stars. What about that unique Talbot Lago eh... but three and a half million bucks/euros, and there are three or four cars in that bracket, is ridiculous, art-market pricing. I blame the super-rich (and for a few other things too, despite Warren Buffett's charming complaint that he doesn't pay enough US tax).

The Sunbeam 25 looked good though, slow but steady. I remember going down to Brands one weekend in Norman's vintage Sunbeam 18 with the Bug and Wol... even slower and steadier as Norman (a racing mechanic during the week) was worried about the perhaps corroded yellow wire wheels...

Sigh. Sniffle.

Unusual Sightings Volume 12 - henry k
Fiat Ritmo / Strada convertible in orrible brown around the Surbiton area.
Seems to be in daily use but not a pretty sight especially in that colour and its rag top that looks like a weekend DIY attempt. Someone loves it.

en.advisto.com/classified-ads-auctions/vehicles/find-%22user_ref%22%3D%22class%22-1.htm

I love that advert ! "Colour - Chestnut" hahaha !

Unusual Sightings Volume 12 - borasport
on a Porsche down the road from work, the number plate

F 131 SPY

spaced to read

FBI SPY

who ??
why ??

Saw J-reg Sierra saloon this morning. Not special but getting rare these days.

Must you be quite so, er, down to earth Stu?

Ø:o}

I get rather a warm glow when I see cars of my childhood still knocking about, makes me feel not quite as old as my back reckons I am.
loads and loads here, something for everyone. me? i will take the Triumph, the two cylinder one.

Returning from a walk with the dog on the walls of Silchester Roman town, I bumped into a classic car day at the Frog & Wicket at Eversley.

s606.photobucket.com/albums/tt148/know_wun/Frog%20and%20Wicket%20classic%20car%20day%2021-08-2011/

This afternoon I noticed the older lady driver of the Seat Cordoba next to me at the traffic lights was wearing driving gloves. Thats something you don't see everyday.

Just happened to call at our village garage this afternoon and look what was backing out: a 'Jim Bergerac' Triumph 1800 or 2000 Roadster with a dickey seat in the boot. Also an enormous radiator mascot that made me think at first it was an Alvis Crested Eagle. It was on Dutch plates and apparently having steering trouble.
A pretty slow way to travel through France, as I remember.
www.flickr.com/photos/64660965@N03/?saved=1

BTW: I sometimes wear string-back driving gloves. They are in the glove compartment.
Last edited by: Mike Hannon on Tue 23 Aug 11 at 16:28

Love the Phase 1 Standard Vanguard at the Frog & Wicket. Same engine as above.

Parked in my road, A 5 litre V8 Holden Commodore, with Queensland plates. Think its a VP model 1991-93

Good motors those. American muscle with handling. Tasty if a bit macho.

Unusual Sightings Volume 12 - idle_chatterer
A Tesla in the carpark at our HK apartment complex, change from the usual Mercs, BMWs and Toyota Alphards (not mine, I walk). Looks handsome but just like an Elise - unsurprisingly.

Unusual Sightings Volume 12 - Meldrew
Amazing motor bike at the Bruntingthorpe Open day today (Photo to follow) Home built frame, commercial shock, forks, saddle and tank. Home fabricated frame with 2 litre V8 engine in it! Two radiators whete the panniers would normally be and some beautifully fabicated pulleys and toothed drive belts for, presumably, driving water and fuel pumps. Really good workmanship and welding, two 4 into 1 exhaustmanifolds. No clue on the engine as to the make it had the initials "AM" on the back of the block - American Motors? I imagine 2 litre v*s are not common?

Latest Forum Posts