Motoring Discussion > Unusual Sightings - Volume 14   [Read only] Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 101

Unusual Sightings - Volume 14 - R.P.
***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 15 *****

Unusual vehicles one stop shop...

Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 22 Nov 11 at 00:49

Unusual Sightings Volume 14 - R.P.
Driving back home from Dover yesterday - a V12 E-type convertible in Red - despite what I said about them it looked "right" - bimbling along at a steady 50mph.....economy measure I suppose. A British registered but LHD V/W pick up (with a double cab) difficult to age but it had a split screen though....it seemed that every panel was vibrating in some sort of automotive harmony....

M6 services a tank transporter carrying a tracked artillery piece of some sort....want one.

(just edited several headers as they were all saying volume 13 and not 14 - might help to avoid confusion with future forum searches)

Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 11 Oct 11 at 00:52

Unusual Sightings Volume 14 - Mike Hannon
Which? The transporter or the tank?
I think the S3 E-type in coupe or (particularly) hardtop form is the only nice looking one.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 11 Oct 11 at 00:46

The artillery piece :-)

Unusual Sightings Volume 14 - TeeCee
>>
>> M6 services a tank transporter carrying a tracked artillery piece of some sort....want one.
>>

Ex army mate once regaled me with a tale of the "Antard" (spelling??) Tank Transporter. Low cab so the barrel of the tank gun can sit over the top, engine mounted longitudinally within so the driver and passenger can just see each other over the top. Walkway behind the cab. Hand throttle option allowing "feet off" driving like a primitive cruise control.

Common practice (although frowned upon) was to swap drivers on the move. One bloke goes over the engine, the other goes out the door and around the back of the cab.
One day, two lads who usually crewed with others were sent out together. On doing the driver swap, they met behind the cab(!) While they argued over who was going back, the whole assembly took matters into its own hands.

Apparently getting an Antard out of a ditch, when it's upside-down and well attached to 70-odd tons of inverted tank underneath, is a decidedly non-trivial exercise.

Unusual Sightings Volume 14 - Dave_
I saw a light blue Bristol 411 parked by the river in Bedford last night. After all the talk about the marque earlier in the year I've finally seen one in the flesh!

Last week I sat in traffic next to a 1960s Mercedes W112 coupe in London, seemingly in use as an everyday car. I've also seen more Ferraris in the last week than in the rest of the year put together - including 2x 458 Italias and 2x Californias.

A55 towards Anglesey, an immaculate Jowett Javelin - maroon with sat nav ! a two digit prefix number "SO nnnn" not Ted was it ?
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 11 Oct 11 at 00:48

Unusual Sightings Volume 14 - Dog
Sky blue Ford Corsair convertible on the antiques roadshow right now!

Unusual Sightings Volume 14 - franfran
Last night after work, on the way to Central station (at the southern end of Sydney's CBD), I saw a Morris Major Elite coming down Pitt Street, heading towards Railway Square. White with red tailfins.

And just in case you's a'wondering ~ en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morris_Major

They also produced the Lancer model :)

I have always been a BMC enthusiast but that's one batch of butt-ugly motors.

I guess the tank transporter mentioned above was the Thornycroft Mighty Antar? I had the Dinky Supertoy...
www.flickr.com/photos/old_motors/2833804623/
IIRC it had an enormous Rover Meteor petrol engine and did about 1.5 mpg. Many were sold as oilfield tractors, where it didn't matter.
My pal, who was in the BAOR, told me years ago that the Antars they used were actually operated on some sort of driving contract by 'foreign nationals' of some kind - maybe not Turks but something like that - who would live in a sort of shed/shelter put up behind the cab. Or maybe I dreamed it...

Some nice olde photographs there Michael, reminds me of 'catching' the #53 bus from the 'Elephant' to Regent St.
5 days a week :)

>>Some nice olde photographs there<<

Yup. Yet another excellent time-waster...

Unusual Sightings Volume 14 - Harleyman

who would live in a
>> sort of shed/shelter put up behind the cab. Or maybe I dreamed it...
>>

Not at all.... they were made that way in the first place!

www.the-antar.co.uk/

Some absolutely cracking pics in here. I was based in Bulford for a while, next door to 150 Tank Transporter sqn RCT; they were converting from antars to Commanders at the time.

Disturbingly high number of "damaged" pics in here, but it wasn't that ununsual; Salisbury Plain isn't exactly a billiard-table surface and these things got used hard on exercise.

Only drove an Antar a couple of times, unit only; my abiding memory is how low-geared the steering was!

Unusual Sightings Volume 14 - sooty123
Recently I saw a streched KIA sedona mpv painted partly orange parked up. The owner had addedan extra axle to take the extra weight. Never seen it turn a wheel yet.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 11 Oct 11 at 00:49

On the A55 near Northop today - in dribs and drabs - all Irish registered - some still bearing the old Irish red reflective plates. At least 5 Farina Oxford and Wolseley models, an old Rover 110 Auntie, a P6 with the spare wheel perched on the bootlid (Obviously not the Dunlop Denovo runflat equipped version) and a not so old Opel Kadett (Chevette shaped). Obviously some rally on somewhere.

Unusual Sightings Volume 14 - bathtub tom
Maybe on their way to a 'banger' event where they'll all be destroyed?

They were all pretty immaculate driven by grey tops

Unusual Sightings Volume 14 - henry k
For the first time I saw a biker on his last trip.
Not burning it up but was on the way to the Crem at Hanwoth ( of Aston Martin fame )
It was one of those sidecar hearses (with a floral tribute of a helmet on top) plus a group of biker following close behind,
I thought it was a very fitting farewell.

Unusual Sightings Volume 14 - Ted
Been to a few biker funerals. Thankfully, all natural endings .

Friends called for lunch today on their way home to Cumbria. Turned up in their brand, spanking new Peugeot Bipper diesel. Bright red, a nice bit of kit and very nice to drive, I was told. A bit smaller than a Blingo but no less useful. I think Citroen are doing a version soon.

They come from a tiny village with no amenities, a bus once a week and no traffic. I was called out by the office to go and find a missing Fiesta in the city centre. I took my pal with me while the girls gossiped. He was amazed by the volume of traffic and pedestrians around when we got there.

A bit of a culture shock, I think !

Ted
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 11 Oct 11 at 00:50

Went with a friend at the weekend to open up an old house (and contents) that she has inherited.
Look what we found in the barn!
www.flickr.com/photos/64660965@N03/6229717007/in/photostream
Seems to be 1967, maybe just one owner, paperwork there, key in ignition. Last CT (MoT) 2002. Dunno if the kms (16,180) is first or second time round. Apparently it has had some restoration but seems very sound, bar being a bit manky round the bonnet catch, a scuff on one back wheel arch and a missing chrome strip on one sill.
I hope to be adding it to the fleet in due course, which will make a change from my usual fare...

Tuned quite a few 500's in the 70's/80's - hated the blimming things (engine wise) what could I do with 2 cylinders!

I like the joke about V12's, probably true n' all :)

No rust on the wheels or dirt in the wheel arches that I can see. You reckon it hasn't turned a wheel since the last test expired (2003)?

I guess it'll need new tyres, those could feel like thrupenny-bits if they've been flat for long.

I like it.

There's a very tidy 2004 Seicento with 16k on it lying in there as well! So probably not. The Seicento gave problems, apparently, and the very elderly owner gave up on it.
The 500 would be worth a set of new treads, a battery and a fettle, eh? It's the wear on the ZX on the spare that makes been think it's been round the clock twice - they did tend to wear well.

Unusual Sightings Volume 14 - Iffy
We serviced a couple of these in the 1970s.

Good, sturdy little cars, as I recall.

Yesterday at lunchtime, I saw a dark grey late 1940s (or possibly early 50s?) Bentley come down Foveaux Street in Surry Hills and turn onto Elizabeth Street outside Sydney Central station. It wasn't in perfect condition but was very original and even still had the semaphore indicators operational. I'm not sure, but it looked like the numberplates were original too.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 11 Oct 11 at 00:51

And I saw a mid 1960s Chrysler Valiant station wagon in near new condition about ten minutes later in a Surry Hills laneway. It was a funny sort of yellowish beige colour.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 11 Oct 11 at 00:51

Unusual Sightings Volume 14 - Bagpuss
Saw a light blue Audi 60 on the way to work today. Can't be many of those left. It was the first post war Audi with a 4 stroke engine I believe.

Unusual Sightings Volume 14 - Ted

Behind a 1985 Mercedes G-Wagon this morning.
It did look crude and boxy.

Ted

Unusual Sightings Volume 14 - -
>>
>> Behind a 1985 Mercedes G-Wagon this morning.
>> It did look crude and boxy.

Still make 'em Ted, relaunched in this country with eye watering price tags.
www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/mercedes-benz/g-class-w463-2010/

I'd love to own one.

Unusual Sightings Volume 14 - IJWS14
Pale metallic blue Alpin A110, in Grasse last week.

I'd have one.

Unusual Sightings Volume 14 - Armel Coussine
>> I'd have one.

Likewise. Perhaps the Alpes-Maritimes are the A110's natural habitat. I can still remember one passing me, tail out but gambolling along happily, somewhere on the twisties between Grasse and Vence many years ago now. Driven by a young woman too.

Unusual Sightings Volume 14 - IJWS14
Grasse and Vence - OK.

Would not want to be tail out between Grasse and Castellane though!

Unusual Sightings Volume 14 - Bagpuss
Just saw a Porsche RS Carrera in Stuttgart. Early 70s model I would guess, with the little tail spoiler. Only problem, this one was in violent pink. Who the hell ordered that new? Being driven by a butch looking bloke who clearly doesn't suffer from low self esteem.

>> Porsche RS Carrera in Stuttgart. Early 70s model I would guess, with the little tail spoiler. Only problem, this one was in violent pink.

I've got a 2.7 RSR, with a whaletail spoiler, in that shocking pink. I think it looks fabulous. Can't help wishing it was more than four inches long... 'Honey, I shrunk the jalopy.'

Unusual Sightings Volume 14 - Runfer D'Hills
Have to say AC, I've had to read that twice...
I'd forgotten all about this until I was poking about (with permission) on a mushroom hunt on my neighbour's land this afternoon. Goodness knows what it is and I don't like to ask too many questions but it must be about early 1960s and a long distance job because it has a big roof rack.
No rust that I can see...
www.flickr.com/photos/64660965@N03/6241044510/in/photostream

I went to Camperdown today and saw a Porsche 911T (red with a black top) in a back street in Glebe, a small 1960s(?) Bedford truck, a Hillman Super Minx (black with a white roof) and an old motor bike (looked like it would have been 1940s or 50s - don't know what it was but it was probably a Harley Davidson, because it was fairly big and it sounded like one) - all in the traffic on the Parramatta Road.

And speaking of Harley Davidsons, There is a showroom full of them in Camperdown and, towards the rear of the showroom, there were a 1957 Chevrolet van (did they make them as vans, or has someone blanked out the windows of a station wagon?) and a Model A Ford.

there were a 1957 Chevrolet van (did they make
>> them as vans, or has someone blanked out the windows of a station wagon?)

No, Chevrolet did make them, colloquially known as a "Panel";

tinyurl.com/3h7reb8

This is a 1959 but I'd guess pretty similar to what you saw.

the windowed version is known as a Suburban or "'Burb".
Last edited by: Harleyman on Fri 14 Oct 11 at 11:29

No. It was like this one (and it was even the same colour):
classiccars.com/listing-32537/1957-chevrolet-sedan-delivery-for-sale-in-lillington-north%20carolina-27546.html

>> No. It was like this one (and it was even the same colour):

Outside my experience I must admit, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was a factory original. It does state "original rear end" in the advert, and Wiki brings up some useful stuff.

According to the latter, the 57 is rare and desirable. Would bet on many of them being used as "private ambulances", by the funeral trade.

Not sure of the model - but a blood red convertible parked on a fly-over, bonnet open. The yellow shield in the wing gave it away - Ferrari

This morning heading onto the island on the A55 half a dozen Prosches and a Lotus Eclat - all bedecked in racing markings - suspect a clubman's day here.

www.angleseycircuit.com/fixtures

Couple of motorcycle trackdays this weekend, may mosey on over tomorrow or Sunday depending on the weather....only 6 or so miles away.

Unusual Sightings Volume 14 - ....
A very shiny yellow/beige 1976 Granada 2.0 L complete with spotless chrome bumpers and door mirrors. Not a headrest in sight and the rear seat still looking like a huge comfy sofa in brown cord type velour.

Sat on 175/80 x 14 tyres.

Roughly the same size as the new Focus saloon.
Last edited by: gmac on Fri 14 Oct 11 at 17:58

More of an unusual sound than a sight.

It's a lovely sunny Saturday morning here but there's a very heavy covering of condensation on the ground, grass and of course the cars.

I just opened the back door to let the pooch out to hear a sound from my past. The distant cranking of a car starter motor failing to kick a reluctant engine into life. A sound commonplace in my youth when points needed to be adjusted and carburettors flooded for a pastime. A sound rarely heard these days. Of course cars still fail to start but this was that unmistakeable coughing of an engine protesting about the damp.

Aha ! As I type I can hear a joyful revving ! Whatever it was has decided to cooperate !

Unusual Sightings Volume 14 - AshT
Not many of these around now: -

tinyurl.com/699jqfr

Looks quite tidy, but described as a running restoration.

Still see them around in France. There was even an HPE version.
I did a road test on a pre-launch one in the UK, must have been about 1991 or 92. I said to the concessionaire 'you aren't really going to use that name are you?' The rest is history.

A DAF 33 Variomatic car today in Menai Bridge (outside Waitrose cheek by jowl with more expensive but arguably more mundane cars) - it was in a well worn red - no show car. My parents had a Volvo 66 when I was 18 - it was a flyer and very well made. The CVT was as noisy as anything when cold though. For those that don't know the Daf was a Dutch made car, taken over by Volvo it set about building its own version - which had a small but very pretty little estate in the range. A later version was the famous Volvo 300 series - it carried on the CVT dream which withered on the vine. Must be one hell of an effort to keep that sort of car going as everyday transport.

However good or otherwise the Daf 33 was, it never failed to evince images of tank tops, adenoids and bad haircuts.

And no diff!

They relied on 'belt slip' instead. You could see and hear the rear tyres protesting on tight turns.

Made good trials cars though.

>> A DAF 33 Variomatic car today in Menai Bridge (outside Waitrose cheek by jowl with
>> more expensive but arguably more mundane cars) - it was in a well worn red
>> - no show car.

>> Must be one hell of an effort to keep that sort of car going as
>> everyday transport.
>>

Young chap down our way does just that with a DAF33, albeit a green one. He's also currently restoring a Triumph 1300, the FWD jobbie which was the forerunner of the Dolomite; every time I meet him at local shows I get a run-down on his latest tribulations with the latter, he's a genuine enthusiast all right!

He tells me that there are in fact eight DAF33's currently registered on the road in the UK. His enthusiasm stems from the fact that his mum had one, combined with the fact that it's a relatively cheap car for a young 'un to run.

I ran two Triumph 1300s in my pauper years - rattly front CV joints and a noisy Bendix starter motor were their Hallmarks. Nicely made interiors made up for it !

This morning I saw a grey Morris Minor. If it wasn't for the fact that it didn't have any hubcaps, I would have described it as immaculate. Five minutes later I saw a yellow 1960s Ford Mustang coupe. That's about it for today....

>>This morning I saw a grey Morris Minor. If it wasn't for the fact that it didn't have any hubcaps, I would have described it as immaculate<<

Must be the climate out there that preserves them fran, couple of my friends are emigrating to Brisbane (today!)

Lucky so n' so's.

...Lucky so n' so's...

That remains to be seen.

Plenty come back with their tails between their legs - or wish they could.

Well, these so n' so's are in their early 60's and both their children emigated to Oz some years ago,

I shall hear all about it pretty soon, one way or another.

Two sisters - distant cousins of mine - emigrated to Australia about 30 years ago.

Neither could afford to return to the UK for their parents' recent funerals.

I have the impression their lives other there have been more miserable than happy.

Of course, the same may have happened had they chosen to remain in this country.

The Australia of 30 years ago is a lot different to Oz in the 21st century,

I've also heard some horror stories of people that went downunder (and regretted it)

Not easy to get in there now though, I'd choose the West if I was a'going.

Outside the ginormous all-brick cathedral in Albi this week, a Range Rover Evoque, first one I've seen in the metal. The BMW Mini casts a long shadow, eh? I was even more gobsmacked when I discovered I could afford one, even in France. No decision problem there though...

Unusual Sightings Volume 14 - Stuu
One of my neighbours has an Evoque, in white of course.

Its umm, striking. It also looks gaudy in a suburban street.

The windows of the Evoque look narrow to me.

I wonder what it's like on the inside looking out.

Unusual Sightings Volume 14 - swiss tony
>> The windows of the Evoque look narrow to me.
>>
>> I wonder what it's like on the inside looking out.
>>
I understand most have been sold to Gynaecologists.

Unusual Sightings Volume 14 - Zero
> I understand most have been sold to Gynaecologists.

Most are driven by the anatomical speciality of their clients,.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 30 Oct 11 at 12:45

Tits?

I was an amateur gynaecologist...

Audi A7 (I think).

Enormous saloon/hatchback.

tinyurl.com/6fea9lk

Nothing terribly exciting, but I do seem to have been seeing old Japanese cars lately: two Datsun 120Ys (one yellow and a bit scruffy, the other white with a blue flash on the side and in near perfect condition) one Datsun 180B (orange but defiled with a bonnet scoop and low profile tyres) and two Mitsubishi Sigma "Super Saloons" both immaculate and both in two tone gold and bronze metallic finish.

Unusual Sightings Volume 14 - hillman1
Spent quite a while travelling along M25/M26 earlier near to a German registered Hyundai i30- the new version not due here until next Spring. Having read the reviews and seen the pics in Auto Express recently I was very impressed and think it looks very good in the metal
tinyurl.com/dyppqqc

At Esher, Surrey a Subaru Samba

Twas new to me so I had to search out some pics
www.subarusambar.co.uk/

God Lord, that's Horrid, with a capital H!

I agree Z

Beware one of these lives opposite Sandown Racecourse main entrance
Mitsuoka Viewt
www.theautoabc.com/auto/author/theautoabc/page/53

and you thought that was ~~~~~then try this.
www.mitsuoka-motor.com/english/
www.dymee.com/articles/mitsuoka.html

or could the future be an open top electric ?????? thing.

Unusual Sightings Volume 14 - AshT
Triumph 2000 heading up the A370 this morning at a fair pace - good to see it being used properly.

Lovely looking Honda CX650 yesterday, romping along at a steady 80 on the A55 - huge black Polaris fairing spoilt it a bit. This was a bigger version of the CX500 Maggot. A very unusual across the frame Vtwin - the 500 was a firm favourite for years a properly made lightwieght tourer - really distinctive engine note, much beloved of couriers for many years. Called the maggot by its fans as it was very ugly.

The one I saw was an evolution of the maggot, far more conventional looking but not half as liked. Interestingly this design was shared by the CX500 Turbo - the world's first production turbo.....all very radical in 1983 !
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 15 Nov 11 at 00:46

I had a nice black CX500 Custom - import from Iowa, nice tourer for riding around Bodmin Moor, sans helmet.

Unusual Sightings Volume 14 - spamcan61
Absolutely gleaming mint condition XK140 parked outside my local newsagents this afternoon, CWWs etc.; Spamcan Junior was suitably impressed, and reminded me we still haven't built the Revell XK120 kit I bought in the charity shop t'other day. Given the high winds and rain laden clouds I thought it was a bit brave leaving the Jaguar parked with the 'roof' down.

Really nice Cortina 1600E, phase 2 (I prefer phase 1 myself....) on the number plate was an M - Malta?

Unusual Sightings Volume 14 - Rudedog
Passed by a petrol tanker marked up with the DHL yellow and red colours today, didn't know they branched out to moving fuel around.

Unusual Sightings Volume 14 - Pat
Down Hill Logistics are in to everything.....for a while:)

Pat

I saw the oddest thing on the M1 yesterday. Came howling past me and I wasn't lingering. Newest shape / latest reg Focus hatchback. Funny metallic greeny / yellow. Anyway, there was a contraption on the back, a bit like a cut down bike rack oddly enough but it seemed to be there to facilitate and support a flexible tube being led from the exhaust into a biscuit tin sized box atop the rear bumper and out again to an entry hole cut into the nearside rear window. If it was someone trying to gas himself there was a fair old bit of Heath Robinson engineering going on. I rather prefer to suspect it was some kind of motor trade experiment but to establish what I'm not sure.

>> I saw the oddest thing on the M1 yesterday.

Some say the exhaust emissions of a modern petrol engine are cleaner than the air going into the engine.
Maybe they were trying to prove this. ;-)
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 12 Nov 11 at 19:40

Seen in the car park of our local garden centre, a super little 1969 Vanden Plas Princess 1100

i606.photobucket.com/albums/tt148/know_wun/IMG_07221.jpg
i606.photobucket.com/albums/tt148/know_wun/IMG_07231.jpg

Panama? titfer in the back window too.

Nice one that Z, well captured, someone's put some work into that and nice useable classic.

I always wanted a 4 litreR, would settle for a Westminster or 6/110 though.

But the VDP 1100's an ugly little brute with that pretentious gaping maw. The ordinary Austin or Morris 1100 looks right in its own terms, this looks like what it is: a cheap car in an expensive but unbecoming frock. I suppose the wood trim is all right if you're inside it. But you would keep wishing it was a Bentley or Jaguar.

I seem to remember the VDP 4 litre R was regarded as a dog in its day too. The Westminster and Wolseley 6/110 again looked right (unlike the Farina-bodied 4-cylinder BMC/BL cars which were ill-proportioned, although they were comfortable and made good minicabs). The 4-litre R engine was refined but thirsty, gutless and heavy enough to compromise handling. And the thing had a similar ugly front grille.

The naked cynicism of the BMC suits in those days used to really annoy me. An explosion of badge engineering to pull the wool over the despised motorist's eyes.

Bit foggy up there Sahib, (nice pics!) we had a deep grey VP auto. 1.3 AND a brown Riley Kestrel auto. 1.3

Awful blimming gearbox!!

My dad got a then new VDP 1300 auto as his retirement car. He never looked right in it. He'd always had much bigger cars and the 1300 just didn't suit him.

Yes, and that AP auto gearbox was pretty crap too. It didn't sap power like a conventional auto but made jerky changes and probably did in the rubber cv joints in short order.

We could never get the tickover right on that 1300. My parents had a long narrow drive with high gate pillars. If he'd driven in nose first it was necessary to reverse out. Being an auto with a too high tickover on choke it'd do nothing for a second or two after you engaged reverse but then it would catch you unawares and would shoot out backwards into the road at Mach 1 if you forgot to cover the brake in time. All good fun.

O lord, lets not start the LFB discussion again.

True enough, let's just concentrate on cheap deals on screenwash and wiper blades ( or even floor mats ) instead !

Or winter tyres of course....

:-)

Being an auto with a too high tickover on choke it'd do
>>

My auto Zodiac could catch you out, on an icy road on choke the creep could overpower the rear drum brakes quite easily, you could find yourself on black ice braking very gently with the front wheels locked but the car still driving, had to learn a bit of fine balancing and fine choke control, seem to recall the P6 3500 could do similar.

As for LFB i've never liked it, main reason being that in an emergency situation you would never have the 'feel' in your left foot that you developed over the years in your right foot to balance the amount of braking required.
So my left foot goes on the footrest in an auto and stays there.

What made our VDP 1300 auto worse was that the gear selector was faulty (needed adjustment)

So when you started the thing up on choke, it would make a bid for freedom if you didn't keep ya foot on the brake!)

The good old days :)

>>did in the rubber cv joints

I don't remember rubber CV joints on 1100/1300.

The 1100 certainly had them. Perhaps the 1300 upgraded to proper ones, but I doubt it.

I remember the Landcrabs having proper needle roller joints and they were excellent.

Those rubber joints were an ingenious, cheap Moulton contribution to the Mini, and were carried over to the 1100. But 1800 and Maxi were I suppose too big, heavy and powerful for that somewhat scruffy engineering solution. Highly tuned Minis used to get through them quite quickly especially when driven by clumsy drivers.

I have had hands-on dealings with Mini driveshafts, but it was so long ago that I don't remember them in great detail. It could well be that the inner cv joint was conventional, and only the outer one was rubber.

heh heh... or the other way round as Skippy suggests.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Sun 20 Nov 11 at 16:16

Unusual Sightings Volume 14 - Skip
The rubber joints were the inner couplings which were used up to about 1973, after which they were fitted with conventional cv joints which lasted longer especially as they were prone to getting covered with leaking engine oil.

There's a tidy Vanden Plas 1300 on UK plates with collapsed suspension sitting on a garage forecourt not 5 or 6km from my house. Garage bloke says the gearbox is shot.
www.flickr.com/photos/64660965@N03/6375664949/

When I see a British car like that I have an overwhelming desire to bring it home...:-(

My pal, who also lives nearby, is lusting after it, but he already has two 1949 Pontiacs, a 1929 Austin 16 and a 2CV!
We've already discovered there's a guy about an hour away who has a hydrolastic pump...

>>We've already discovered there's a guy about an hour away who has a hydrolastic pump...<<

Yeah, looks like it could do with it n' all.

What I've seen over the last few days in Sydney:

Friday - Saw two XK Jaguars within about five minutes of eachother in Wahroonga. One was green and had a two piece windscreen and the other was red with a one piece curved screen. Also saw an early 1960s Ford Fairlane, white with a red flash down the side, at Westfields in Hornsby.

Saturday - Saw a white Peugeot 404 at Lidcombe (on the road between the railway and Rookwood cemetery). Saw a silver (or maybe it was grey - it was after 7pm so the light wasn't too good) Sunbeam Alpine at Artarmon. It had an airscoop (or whatever they are called) on the bonnet but otherwise looked good.

Sunday - Saw a couple of hotrods at Wentworthville. One looked like it was based on a 1920s Ford (or a replica of one) and the other was something from the late 1930s - don't know what it was but it had a tall very narrow grille with horizontal slats. Also at Greystanes saw a blue mid 1960s Mustang coupe that appeared to be undergoing restoration. Also went past that mechanic's workshop in Cleveland Street in the afternoon and there were a few cars outside including an dark grey MG Magnette, dark grey Humber Super Snipe and a red and white early to mid 1960s Ford Falcon (the one with the round rear lights set high up).

Oh yes, and if anyone is around Waterloo, there's a really cute little blue and white (1950s ?) Morris van parked outside Winning Appliances in Danks Street as an advertisement for the company.

Stuff the med, go to Sydney, Turbot Dave!

Unusual Sightings Volume 14 - idle_chatterer
>> Stuff the med, go to Sydney, Turbot Dave!
>>

+1, it's ace....

Latest Forum Posts