Who fancies a cruise? - Vol 3 - VxFan

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 4 *****

Ongoing discussion about the recent Costa Concordia disaster

Previous volumes are below
Volume 1
Volume 2
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 19 Jan 12 at 00:31

Who fancies a cruise? - Meldrew
Typical BBC uselessness! A chart/diagram with no North pointer (although it was North is UP) and no scale. Was the deviation from track 880 yards, 3 miles, 5 miles?

Who fancies a cruise? - henry k
>> Typical BBC uselessness! A chart/diagram with no North pointer (although it was North is UP)
>> and no scale. Was the deviation from track 880 yards, 3 miles, 5 miles?
>>

My version is headed Lloyd's List but what do they know :-)
Last edited by: henry k on Mon 16 Jan 12 at 18:39

They may know a lot; did it have a compass and a scale on it? If not it is as much use as the chart the unlucky captain may have been using
Last edited by: Meldrew on Mon 16 Jan 12 at 18:47

Who fancies a cruise? - Armel Coussine
I've liked ships all my life, have had the good fortune to visit some too and play with their Oerlikon guns (cruiser Glasgow, some time in the late forties), travel on them when they were the main mode of long-distance travel, and see them too. Never fail to be stirred by the sight of a destroyer going flat out. And even cross-channel ferries are ships, sort of.

But there's something horrible and misshapen about these ghastly stacks of floating supermarket shelves. They remind one of 40-foot pink stretch limos. You wouldn't want to be lost in their hellish corridors at the best of times, let alone when they were sinking, with the crew displaying somewhat varied standards of behaviour (I read that young waitresses and the like were among the more steadfast and helpful crew members in this Italian débâcle).

I take the point that there are reasonable human beings who for one reason or another might be on a cruise ship. But how would you find them among, guh, all the others?
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Mon 16 Jan 12 at 19:01

Who fancies a cruise? - Old Navy
>> I take the point that there are reasonable human beings who for one reason or
>> another might be on a cruise ship. But how would you find them among, guh,
>> all the others?
>>

We are taking them with us, lifelong friends that we have travelled with before.

The only reason we are using a (small) ship is that it is going to several places that we want to visit.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 16 Jan 12 at 19:13

Busman's holiday ON... wise to take yr friends with you too.

But don't you agree that big cruise liners are, well, ugly in a sort of modern global manner, like suburban housing in France or Beijing?

>> But don't you agree that big cruise liners are, well, ugly in a sort of
>> modern global manner, like suburban housing in France or Beijing?
>>

Very much so, you would not get me on one of them with wild horses.

Who fancies a cruise? - Dutchie
I just bought a 100 Th Aniversary edition of the Titanic.Booklet plus dvd.

She was a sleek liner no match for a iceberg do.

I agree A.C. Smaller cruiser look better to me .These big liners don't look right.Also people have a fals sense of security.4000 people on board to crowded for me.

>> She was a sleek liner no match for a iceberg do.

Yes, a proper shape... but a big size, perhaps too big, a relentless human vice, gigantism. Look at British Leyland. The R101. The Roman Empire, the Muslim Empire, The British Empire. General Motors. And the rest. Feet of clay in the end.

And they said she was 'unsinkable'. Vainglory, just asking for it. I bet there were real mariners on board who had a nasty feeling something like that could happen.

Six miles down to Davy Jones's locker to be tidied away by his scuttling acolytes and become one with the seabed eventually. Well, it's one way to go.

www.shipais.com/currentmap.php?map=thamesrhine

We have to go one way or the other A.C Into the black hole anybodys guess.

It is busy with shipping down the south coast at the moment.Somebody is making money.

Both interesting and scary Dutchie!

Who fancies a cruise? - Dog
>>www.shipais.com/currentmap.php?map=thamesrhine<<

Interesting site Ducky ~ thanks!

Who fancies a cruise? - -
For a special birthday present SWM booked us on the orient express down to Venice where we had an apartment for a week or so.

Neither she nor i had previously cruised..;) ooer, and she had toyed with booking a cruise instead.

Fortunately she chose wisely but half way through our Venice stay a monstrous ugly floating hotel moored up only about 400 yds from our temporary home, it looked like a Monty Python cartoon this vision of hades looming over the lovely outline of the city.

Then to make the experince truly hellish, a couple of thousand Americans flooded or more accurately waddled ashore.

Close shave that was, had she chosen unwisely...

Who fancies a cruise? - rtj70
It is being reported the sail by close to the island was 'advertised' beforehand on Facebook. And chief waiter phoned someone to say they'd be there about 9:30pm....

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/9018869/Cruise-disaster-captain-neared-rocks-in-Facebook-stunt-for-friends-family.html

And now it is reported a lot more still missing. Presumed on the ship I guess.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 16 Jan 12 at 22:07

>>And now it is reported a lot more still missing. Presumed on the ship I guess.
>>
Yes Germany is saying 12 ? more countrymen unaccounted for.

Total missing stands at 29 currently. And 6 confirmed dead.

>> Close shave that was, had she chosen unwisely...
>>

You have to choose the ship, its contents, and itinerary VERY carefully.
 Who fancies a cruise? - -
>> You have to choose the ship, its contents, and itinerary VERY carefully.
>>

Not going to be hope in hell of finding us a cruise, seeing that thing and especially its cargo was enough for us.

Who fancies a cruise? - Bromptonaut
Aspire to this on some time www.hebridean.co.uk/our-ship.html

Or possibly one of those round Britain wildlife cruises.

This is more my cup of tea: www.islandhopping.com/

This authoritative guide will help one choose a line and vessel but won't give any clue as to the competence of the crew!

tinyurl.com/7jt9tqt

I agree with Bromptonaut re small ship cruising but the prices are eye-watering!
Last edited by: Meldrew on Tue 17 Jan 12 at 07:00

I have done the Norwegian Fiords, and will do the Baltic Capitals with this lot. Small ships, sailing from, and returning to my doorstep, (Rosyth), and no more than 24 hours at sea in transit. As far as I am concerned it is all about the destinations, it is just a hotel that moves.

That will be the extent of my sea bourne holidays.

www.fredolsencruises.com/
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 17 Jan 12 at 08:57

ON - what I meant by small ships were the 24 cabin ships that do the Western Isles etc. One of these has a 7 day cruise to the Castles of the Clyde with prices between £2680 and £3750 per person! This is small and eye watering!

>> ON - what I meant by small ships were the 24 cabin ships that do
>> the Western Isles etc. One of these has a 7 day cruise to the Castles
>> of the Clyde with prices between £2680 and £3750 per person! This is small and
>> eye watering!
>>

I Know that area, and the western isles well. I find a car a better option with an Island Hopper car ferry ticket.

I have been on bigger car ferries than the Fred Olson ships.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 17 Jan 12 at 09:41

>> ON - what I meant by small ships were the 24 cabin ships that do
>> the Western Isles etc. One of these has a 7 day cruise to the Castles
>> of the Clyde with prices between £2680 and £3750 per person! This is small and
>> eye watering!

The Hebridean Princess began life as a Cal Mac ferry serving the Inner Isles. She was converted for cruising after being replaced by larger tonnage.

Used her sister ship Hebrides (1964 buld not the current namesake) once between Tarbert and Uig. A real old fashioned vessel with lots of wood on the decks and fittings.

Someone must have decided the ship is a write-off now. The navy are resorting to blasting holes in it to gain access for the search. I suppose the decision might not have been made yet but the search for survivors takes priority.

Who fancies a cruise? - Zero
Well thats going to make recovery hard if they blow holes in the hull. You two got two choices in getting rid of that thing, float it away, or cut it up in situ. Float it away is by the far the easiest and quickest.

>> Someone must have decided the ship is a write-off now. The navy are resorting to
>> blasting holes in it to gain access for the search.
>>

A few small access holes that can have a patch welded over them in a few hours will not write off the ship. Even the big one with the rock in it is fixable.

Who fancies a cruise? - neiltoo
Looking at the BBC website, looks like they're cutting holes in the top deck, so they're not compromising its floatability more that it already is.

>> A few small access holes that can have a patch welded over them in a few hours will not write off the ship.

Question: How do you get a rack of computer equipment into a warship?
Answer: Cut a hole in the side and then weld it shut! Serious answer. But expensive.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16587849

A good long video of the rescue in progress viewed from a helicopter.
Gets the scale of things in focus and the closeness to the island.

Sky News at lunchtime played the long recorded conversation between the carptain and the guy in charge of the rescue.
Telling the carptain repeatedly to get back on board !

As a result of that recording alone I would expect a long jail spell.

The recording!!!!

news.sky.com/home/video/world-news/video/16150911

Last edited by: henry k on Tue 17 Jan 12 at 14:17

The Dockmaster wo are ex Captains wasn't pleased with the master of this ship.

Very unusual to leave a ship before passengers no Gladiator blood in him.

I think the ship will be broken up depends on Smit Tak they are the experts.The problem is and very sad there are still dead people on board.The lads from Smit Tak will have to deal with this .

>>...Smit Tak they are the experts.
>>
>>
>>......The lads from Smit Tak will have to deal with this.
and the rest ?
It was reported that the lads are already there and ready to start work tomorrow given the go ahead.
The fuel tanks appear to be intact so Smit Tak will drill holes through the double skin into the tanks and suck out the contents. " It is a well proven method that we have successfully used many times before"

Captain hasn't really come out of this too well, so far, has he? Can't comply with company regulations, can't keep off the rocks, can't stay on board long enough to handle HIS disaster and is giving media interviews with what appears to be a forked tongue! PS Carnival's insurance XS is $60 million BTW!

Who fancies a cruise? - CGNorwich
Total Insurance losses including liability claims from passengers could total $1 billion.

I think I read the other night that the jail term for a captain leaving a ship before all passengers and crew are off is 12 years. If that's the case and he's all responsible for up to 35 deaths... don't think we'll see him getting a short jail term.

He's looking at a jail term even if he didn't cause the accident and even if there were not fatalities. But it looks like he was also responsible for all of this.

It won't help his defence that he says he was the last to leave when people were still getting off. And they later found survivors the next day.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 17 Jan 12 at 15:06

Who fancies a cruise? - madf
I would have thought Carnival's passenger liability is going to be far in excess of $1 billion.

4.000 passengers.. all in mental distress, all with ruined clothes lost jools and m oney..

Clothes and belongings $20k each.. $80m

Mental distress per passenger Not less than $0.5million.. so £2 billion.

Plus air fares home/accommodation etc.. $2k each.. $8 million. Minimum.

Plus passenger deaths say 30 at $5 million.. $150million...

Last edited by: madf on Tue 17 Jan 12 at 15:21

You are wildly overestimating. An Italian court is not going to award half a million dollars or per person for "mental distress" to passengers who survived unscathed. I very much doubt that passengers clothes etc. would average to $20,000 either

>> You are wildly overestimating. An Italian court is not going to award half a million
>> dollars or per person for "mental distress" to passengers who survived unscathed. I very much
>> doubt that passengers clothes etc. would average to $20,000 either
>>

Who says anything about Italian courts?. Sue Carnival in the US...

On what basis could (mainly) Italian passengers on an Italian registered ship in Italian waters sue in the US?

Its owned by

Carnival Cruise Lines
3655 NW 87th Avenue
Miami, FL 33178

Doesn't make any difference. Will be subject to Italian jursisdiction.

Doesnt prevent passengers taking legal action against the parent company, in its country of incorporation,

You are right it doesn't. In fact they will have to bring any action in Florida under the ticket conditions

www.carnival.com/cms/static_templates/ticket_contract.aspx

Ships' captains must be among the last officially-approved total dictators. They always were that though. It's a very heavy responsibility when things get difficult, as they always can especially at sea. And when the individual concerned isn't up to it, or has gone mad, it can be very awkward for first officers and the like if they have taken over and saved the situation, but may later have to face military or civil courts for 'mutiny' or something of the sort. Read Joseph Conrad, or Patrick O'Brian. Read The Caine Mutiny. All cover this sort of emergency.

Reading between the lines, it sounds as if the captain of this cruise liner was hopeless, carousing with lady passengers, perhaps drunk too, uncharacteristically for an Italian. Nothing else can possibly explain the interminable delays in starting to evacuate the ship and even to admit that the problem was serious. But what is really astonishing is that no one on the next level of command seems even to have tried to take over. The whole command structure seems to have been a hollow shell, hopelessly decadent and 'lubberly'.

I fear this profound rottenness may not be unusual these days.

Maybe not in Italy and maybe not in matters nautical but there is an airline problem where a senior captain is seen to be making a bad decision or two but the junior first officer dare not speak up. This passes under the sociological description of "Cross Cockpit Authority Gradient" Effectively two people in a cockpit should have a level gradient; In practice a junior first officer is not going to say much to a 50 year old senior pilot unless he/she is confident of his facts and the reaction to his stating them.

Maybe an Officer on the bridge thought that what was going on was was unwise or illegal but as it seems to have been accepted practice for 5 years didn't care to voice his concerns?

You have to bear in mind that a ships captain will have the officers career advancement in his hands. One word from him and suddenly a career is ceilinged., You need to be pretty sure, and have proof and later backup to take over.

Exactly so Zero, although not as ceilinged as that of Captain Francisco Schettino, known to his colleagues as The Rock!

Who fancies a cruise? - BobbyG
Considering they are still trying to find bodies, at what point should a Captain be expected to stay?

Boat is lying on its side, should he be realistically expected to single handedly search through it to find people?

>> Considering they are still trying to find bodies, at what point should a Captain be
>> expected to stay?

Dutchie will probably know the answer but I'd guess until pax are safe and he can hand over coast guard or salvage.

Nobody expect the Captain to go down with the ship.But he and his officers should have giving leadership in a emergency situation.That is why the Dockmaster told him to go back on board and be involved.

What I can't understand why he wasn't on the bridge so close to land.This is a massive ship and the Captain according to some crewmembers was mixing with the passengers.

His officers might have been reluctant to make a decision against the Captain.We might never know people tend to shift the blame when the S hits the Fan.

I meant sailing so close to land.The ship did run aground before it hit the rock.According to reports.

Something a bit odd with that report Dutchie. If the ship ran aground how did it get a 100 ft gash in the hull with a rock jammed in it? Have to be going some speed to do that.

Who fancies a cruise? - Dog
It hit the rock first Mildew, then the Capitan ran it agound, wisely IMO.
That is so but Dutchie says differently which is what I was commenting on. You can't run aground and subsequently get a huge gash in the hull caused by hitting something at speed

No of course not! He is the CAPTAIN - he is in total charge of and responsible for the ship and its crew and passengers. He commands and coordinates but can't do that when he as absent from his place of duty!

>> Maybe not in Italy and maybe not in matters nautical but there is an airline
>> problem where a senior captain is seen to be making a bad decision or two
>> but the junior first officer dare not speak up. This passes under the sociological description
>> of "Cross Cockpit Authority Gradient" Effectively two people in a cockpit should have a level
>> gradient; In practice a junior first officer is not going to say much to a
>> 50 year old senior pilot unless he/she is confident of his facts and the reaction
>> to his stating them.

Would be interesting to see Fursty's view on that but it's an issue the airline industry has been aware of for a while and CRM etc principles have been developed to challenge.

Certainly a factor in plenty accidents though of which Trident Papa India is perhaps the most prominent UK example.

The problem is apparently worse in countries, shall we say East and South-East of Athens, where airline captains are often senior ex-military men who are not as good as they think they are and are short(ish) of civil flying experience and methodology.

Who fancies a cruise? - sooty123
Yes seems to be more of an issue in some countries than others despite CRM training. There was an Egyptian a/c that piled in shortly after take off, young FO spots a problem but darent say anything. The captain was a senoir ex-mil pilot the a/c crashed all onboard lost. It was also on tele on aircrash investgation.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Tue 17 Jan 12 at 20:22

Who fancies a cruise? - Iffy
The captain clearly hasn't covered himself in glory.

But isn't it kind of his employers to hang him out to dry so quickly and comprehensively?

That is true Iffy a Captain can't win in these situations.Ships owners expect him to mix and keep everybody happy.I remember as a youngster on board with the old man after the ship was loaded.It was blowing a force ten gale and we where expected to leave port.

Message from the owner we are expecting you at such a date in the destinating port time is money.This was a long time ago.

I've been in situations - not as serious as this - when an editor has suggested a certain course of action for which I knew there would be no backing if it all went wrong.

Fortunately, I have the experience to see what might happen and the confidence to decline to carry out the suggestion.

In my game, it's the younger ones who have neither who get into bother.

>>
>> In my game, it's the younger ones who have neither who get into bother.
>>
>>
Think it's the same everywhere.

I've been involved in IT projects where it was obvious to me things would not go according to the plan. I then speak up and those that 'know better' ignore the advice... then it happens as I said it would and they eat some humble pie. It will have cost money and face. But no lives lost (although some projects do have those implications I guess).

Who fancies a cruise? - BobbyG
Apparently the rescuers have found 3 Glaswegians in the bar.
They've told the divers to beggar off as they are all inclusive!! :)

Who fancies a cruise? - zippy
I have just listed to the telephone conversation with the captain and coastguard.

Clearly the most experienced officer (the captain) should manage the evacuation and co-ordinate all emergency actions.

What I don't understand is the demand of the coastguard to get him back on board.

Its like asking the MD of a burning factory to go back in and make sure everyone is out.

Just adding another statistic?

>> Its like asking the MD of a burning factory to go back in and make sure everyone is out.

No it's not. The MD is not legally obliged to do that but I think the captain would be. Hence the up to 12 years prison sentence if they leave the ship when there are still people being evacuated.

I can see why he couldn't be expected to stay if people were missing (but this was not known) but he was off the ship before others yet to get on boats or in the water.

He will have been paid a lot of money for the responsibility - and it was a big responsibility. And two failings ignoring loss of life were: (a) sailing too close to the island but it sounds like this was frequent and (b) not coordinating the evacuation.

I can see some logic why he tried to head to shallower water but did he need to turn the ship 90 degrees? Was this so the ship toppled over on the side without the hole? Would it not have been smarter to head for water a little deeper so it would just settle on the bottom?

>
>>
>> He will have been paid a lot of money for the responsibility

What roughly are cruise ship captains on? Something similar to a/c captains on the long haul routes (£100K+)
Last edited by: sooty123 on Tue 17 Jan 12 at 23:03

>>>No it's not. The MD is not legally obliged to do that but I think the captain would be. Hence the up to 12 years prison sentence if they leave the ship when there are still people being evacuated.

I must be having one of those days - you cannot order a civilian to risk their life. The captain got in a life boat to save himself.

He should have stayed on board but didn't.

Put it another way....

Ship is about to sink in a major storm. It is everyone to the lifeboats. Literally it is a case of hesitate and drown. Are you saying the captain still should be last onboard because if he is not then he get rescued and then spends 12 years in clink? There could be no safe way of knowing if everyone else is off.

Now I know this situation is different but the guy fled. I probably wouldn't want him back on board as I don't expect he would be much use!

If I get the gist right, an article on News Night implies that the insurers will not pay out if they can prove that the ship took this route more than this once.

I agree on the comment about what is a civilian to stay at post etc. But that seems to be the law here.

If it is true the insurer wouldn't pay out if this route (or a major deviation at least) has happened before.... then I don't think they will have to pay out. Ooops and ouch. You can't blame the insurers for trying. But can all liabilities be avoided? I'm thinking about 3rd party fire and theft type cover I suppose... in which case they might have to pay out for the third party, but not for the loss of a £400M ship.

Witnesses have been seen on TV saying how the ship (or others?) sail close to the island and it's usually publicised somehow (e.g. Facebook).

Who fancies a cruise? - Manatee
I heard the translated conversation between coastguard and captain on PM. No room for misunderstanding at all. The captain was off the ship, in a lifeboat, while there were still large numbers on board. The coastguard had a very clear idea of what to do, and wanted the captain back on board to provide information to him as to what was happening there and to take charge of the evacuation. He gave his unequivocal order several times. He told the captain he was recording and would make him look very bad if he didn't get on with it.

It doesn't look good for the captain.

Very interesting conversation! How were they talking? Did the captain have a company mobile phone with the number known to the Coastguard? Speaking personally, if I was abandoning my place of duty in a crisis I would either leave my mobile behind or switch it off!

Last edited by: Meldrew on Wed 18 Jan 12 at 08:04

Who fancies a cruise? - Fullchat
The Captains hairdo should get him a stretch on its own.

Anyway another Youtube clip:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=guELpieYlFU

Niiiight.

Who fancies a cruise? - Manatee
Transcript. Startling.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16599655

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16606405

Lloyd's List chart indicates that there was a near miss on 14th August when a similar route was used. Chart shows that just beyond the present wreck location the ship passed within 230 m of the shore.

Insurance man- he will not be amused.

Who fancies a cruise? - sherlock47
But Richard Meade, the Editor of Lloyd's List, said: "The company's account of what happened, of the rogue master [Capt Schettino] taking a bad decision, isn't quite as black and white as they presented originally."

"This ship took a very similar route only a few months previously and the master would have known that."

Who fancies a cruise? - sherlock47
If the map provided by Lloyds List is accurate it would appear that the route taken by the boat on the final voyage was somewhat more conservative than that taken on the August trip. It stayed further away from the coast line - the only time it starts to closely approach the coast is obviously the attempt to ground it - presumably when they became aware that the hole was terminal.

So perhaps the errors are not as presented by the owners.
Last edited by: pmh on Wed 18 Jan 12 at 10:56

Who fancies a cruise? - Westpig
If a ship were sinking badly, in the middle on nowhere and water was literally gushing up corridors and through cabins, (i.e. it had gone beyond the orderly evacuation bit and you were entering a ship's death throes) then human nature alone would allow someone, anyone, even the Captain to run for it and do the best for themselves...and let's face it, what more could anyone realistically do in those circumstances anyway.

If you've deliberately beached your ship and you know that the water there is shallow and you know you are very close to land...because you aimed for it, knowing there's a huge hole in your ship...then as Captain you should stay with the thing and do your best to help everyone else. That's your duty and your job.

How come dancers can grasp this mentality, but the Captain and first officer cannot?

We are not talking about the ship's officers taking deep breaths and nipping down submerged corridors...we are talking about experienced crew properly co-ordinating an evacuation and/or rescue attempt.

What a low life this man is. He knows how everything works, he knows where everything is...so he runs for the lifeboats KNOWING there's vulnerable people (disabled, elderly,young, babies etc) still on the thing...and he and his staff could easily help them...but sod that "i'm alright jack, off we go and save ourselves". I hope he rots in jail for quite some time.

I think it is worth noting, perhaps with a sense of pride, that these ladies were ENGLISH dancers, and thus had a certain sense of duty towards the passengers.
Typical Italian male, showing Off and being flash in front of the ladies, does a runner at the slightest risk of danger
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 18 Jan 12 at 10:46
quote by Noel Coward:

"I only travel on Italian ships; in the event of sinking, there's none of that 'women and children first' nonsense!".

DT. yesterday.

...there's none of that 'women and children first' nonsense!"...

Some research was done into evacuating an aircraft on the ground.

The plane was filled with volunteers who were asked to evacuate as if there was a real emergency.

The first evacuation proceeded in an orderly manner, leading the researchers to suspect the test was not realistic.

So they put money on it - the person who got out first was to receive the most, on a sliding scale to the last person, who was to get nothing.

The test had to be abandoned because the volunteers were being injured as they fought to get out first.

The captain has now explained how he ended up the life boat when people were still evacuating... he tripped and fell into it. That clears that up then.

I think the Captain needs a large gobstopper.

Who fancies a cruise? - spamcan61
>> The captain has now explained how he ended up the life boat when people were
>> still evacuating... he tripped and fell into it. That clears that up then.

Maybe the phrase 'If you're in a hole, stop digging' doesn't translate into Italian.

I saw that iffy I think the video of it is on youtube.

Who fancies a cruise? - VxFan
>> none of that 'women and children first' nonsense!".

April 14th 1912:
MAN: "Women and children only please."?

25 years ago:
WOMAN: "Women want sex equality"

15 years ago:
WOMAN:"Women to fight sexism"

5 years ago:
WOMAN:"Women winning on sex equality"

5 days ago:
WOMAN: "It was unbelievable, men were trying to get into the lifeboats before women"

>>>then as Captain you should stay with the thing and do your best to help everyone else. That's your duty and your job.

Agreed, but he didn't and whilst hindsight is 20:20, I probably would not have wanted him back as he proved the quality of his metal by scarpering at the first opportunity!

Another view -literally
www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16615145

Apparently an off duty Costa captain coordinated the evacuation - because the actual captain got in the lifeboat after the tripping incident (and for some reason could not get out again in the hour it waited to lower to the water).

Ironically, the title music to the 1997 Titanic film was playing in one restaurant when the Concordia hit the rocks. And the great grandaughter of a Titanic survivor was on board too.

I wonder if the real cause of this was Friday 13th?

One little bit of good news. One person less missing.
A German woman has turned up safe and well at home.

It has also been reported that a passenger alerted the coastguard to the problem.

As I commented very early on

" In some air crashes people have been known to just wander off and go home which confuses things a little."

This German woman appears to be a good example of this.

A man from Lloyd's List said on the radio the captain may have been acting on instructions from the owners, rather than against instructions or ignoring them.

The captain's still in it big-style, but it seems the owners are not as entirely innocent as they are trying to portray.

The Lloyds man also spoke very highly of Dutch salvage team mentioned earlier in the thread by Dutchie.

We used to work with the Smit Tak lads in Rotterdam.Towing the floating cranes and running out wires to the shore.They used to control the winches highly skilfull.Great blokes to work with.

Loyds might be having a look at the owners report regarding this vessel sailing so close to the coast.I don't know if what Loyds are looking at effects the insurance claim.

Previous close pass to Island, Aug 2011

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16607837

Just over 200 meters is very close .Like I said it maybe effect the insurance claim.

And still people (Bodies) on board.

Sounds like the company will have known about these trips close to the island. Still doesn't excuse the captain. They've just been lucky before.

Who fancies a cruise? - Kevin
>We used to work with the Smit Tak lads in Rotterdam.

Probably the most experienced and highly regarded marine salvage/recovery outfit in the world. Weren't they involved in the Kursk submarine episode?

Anyway, they are already on-site and have been contracted by the owners of Concordia to remove the fuel.

maritimematters.com/2012/01/smit-salvage-to-concordia/

Latest Forum Posts