Motoring Discussion > Speed limit sign. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ted Replies: 3

Speed limit sign. - Ted

Went to the shops with SWMBO this afternoon. Made a left turn at a traffic light controlled junction and noticed a sign about 10 feet round the corner on the nearside indicating a 20mph limit.
It was a smaller version of the regular limit sign but was on a white rectangular board with ' schools ' underneath.

It was higher than usual and at the other side of the pavement from the kerb. I would imagine it would be easy to miss on a day when the junction was busier and you had to keep your wits about you. There were no repeaters along the road and I didn't see a sign on the way back, on the other side.

I have no problem with limits for schools or anywhere else. and there are a lot of areas with these signs The road is in a 30 area, dead straight and a magnet for speeders anyway.

My query is, are these signs advisory or subject to the same conditions as other limits ? Bit unfair if you got a ticket at 29 when the sign is not in a very visible position.
On this particular road, if you do stick to under 20, there's a good chance you might get a tug for kerbcrawling !

Ted
 Speed limit sign. - Boxsterboy
Yes, it's the same with the 20 speed limit signs they've put in near work. They are much higher up than usual (about 15' at a guess) and with no repeaters or any other indication along the road that the limit is 20 rather than 30. They are mandatory.

Surely not designed to catch people out, are they? ;-)
 Speed limit sign. - Iffy
20 mph could soon be the going rate in London and other cities:

tinyurl.com/39r5e3j
 Speed limit sign. - Old Navy
If 20mph is to be the going rate in cities there will have to be a mass removal of road works, bus lanes, and a re-sequencing of traffic lights to achieve anything near 20mph. With a bit of luck the savings that have to be made in government spending will stop the proliferation of traffic calming schemes like inverted potholes.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 13 May 10 at 17:37
Latest Forum Posts