Motoring Discussion > Lorry drivers are perfect. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Pat Replies: 10

Lorry drivers are perfect. - Pat
And this proves it...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KMrmCwV7z4

Pat
 Lorry drivers are perfect. - Cliff Pope
Very good - isn't it fun watching clips of other people crashing things. :)

A common feature seemed to be forgetting about the different course taken by the trailer from the tractor unit. One might have thought that would be second nature to a lorry driver, but I suppose anyone can make the slip in a moment of forgetfulness.

I know from occasionally pulling a trailer that it is all to easy to be lulled into semi-automatic driving as if in a car with no trailer. I've also done the opposite, and been so concerned at not clipping the first gatepost that I've left the turn too late for the second, and then been forced to reverse a bit with risk of jacknifing the vehicle on the trailer 'A'. It's easily done with a tractor that can turn on a sixpence.

Is it true that lorry drivers have become more at risk of doing "silly" things as lorries have become more comfortable and like cars and less like agricultural machinery?
 Lorry drivers are perfect. - -
>> Is it true that lorry drivers have become more at risk of doing "silly" things
>> as lorries have become more comfortable and like cars and less like agricultural machinery?

My own opinion is that lorries have become far too easy to drive, literally any fool can jump in my lorry (and he does before anyone else pipes up..;) and drive it up the motorway at full pelt whatever weight it has on.
That didn't use to be the case, you had to be a lorry driver just to get the thing out of the yard.

It was better for all concerned IMO (others will disagree) when lorries required a knack and skill to drive, accidents still happened mind.

Lorry drivers are perfect. - Londoner
>> My own opinion is that lorries have become far too easy to drive,

What, even the gearboxes GB? ;-)
>>(others will disagree)<<

I do disagree.

Lorries were far better when they needed a knack and a skill to drive...for us oldies GB, we remember the good old days.

Things have moved on and strange as it may seem, if you embrace progress with a willingness to learn, there are just as many knacks and as much skill needed, to drive a modern lorry...just different ones.

The clips above are a tongue in cheek look at lorry driving on a bad day, we all have them, even the best of us.

I soon learned to laugh at my cock ups, it's the only way to survive.

Pat
>> Things have moved on and strange as it may seem, if you embrace progress with
>> a willingness to learn, there are just as many knacks and as much skill needed,
>> to drive a modern lorry...just different ones.

Yes i agree there is still a knack and a way to get the best out of a modern lorry, such as tricking satans gearbox into doing what you want and not what computer wants, eh Londoner..;)

However, there's a sizeable minority (that are not interested and will never be capable so long as they live) who are point and squirt merchants, these are the ones i refer to.

Cock ups, i expect we could write a book apiece.
 Lorry drivers are perfect. - Old Navy

>> However, there's a sizeable minority (that are not interested and will never be capable so
>> long as they live) who are point and squirt merchants, these are the ones i
>> refer to.
>>

Are they the same one that have yet to figure out that the trailer will always try to go straight on?
>> who are point and squirt merchants,<<

We've always had those though, we just used to call them screwdrivers.

Pat
 Lorry drivers are perfect. - Runfer D'Hills
>>My own opinion is that lorries have become far too easy to drive

Blooming must be if moving a blinking Mondeo without stalling it is too challenging...

:-))
:-))) Focus Diesels too, work of the devil.
 Lorry drivers are perfect. - Haywain
It doesn't just happen on the A14 then?
Latest Forum Posts