Motoring Discussion > Acoustic Windscreens and Stone Chips Miscellaneous
Thread Author: rtj70 Replies: 9

Acoustic Windscreens and Stone Chips - rtj70
Last weekend whilst driving to Liverpool what sounded like a large stone hit the windscreen... I couldn't see any damage when driving and forgot about it. Then the next day (last Sunday) I washed the car and can't say I noticed any stone damage either.

Parked the car up yesterday morning after a short drive. Got back in later in the afternoon and there is now a crack in the windscreen. Total length about 10 inches. Oh well. There was damage I see now ... below the visible window line from the inside and not that large. I've had worse on many cars before. This was not deep or anything.

But when I was thinking about proper parts for replacement I remembered this VW has an acoustic windscreen. On closer examination I can see the outer glass is thinner than I'd expect and you can see a thick (4-5mm) layer in the middle so I assume this is the plastic layer for acoustics.

I can't help thinking that this would not have happened with a normal screen.... and on the other hand there's me hoping for the correct part to be fitted this week. Maybe I won't notice a lack of acoustic layer if that happened?

Anyway if your car has an acoustic layer in the windscreen, then get any damage and go get it fixed I'd say. I ignored (actually didn't see damage) and a week later I need a new one!
 Acoustic Windscreens and Stone Chips - Zero

>> I can't help thinking that this would not have happened with a normal screen.

It would.

... and
>> on the other hand there's me hoping for the correct part to be fitted this
>> week. Maybe I won't notice a lack of acoustic layer if that happened?

You'll probably get what the leasing company are prepared to shell out for.

I'd already thought of the latter Z :-) But the options for very cheap glass for my car might be more limited than a Ford Fiesta?? Well you can assume.

To be honest I'm more bothered about the 'ceramic band' and the rain sensor. Before they take out the glass I will check what they have brought.
 Acoustic Windscreens and Stone Chips - BobbyG
>>Before they take out the glass I will check what they have brought.

My first visit from the windscreen company lasted all of 1 minute !

"Oh your windscreen has the blue band across the top "
I booked it in earlier - they assure me they have the right windscreen in stock. I'll find out soon enough I guess.
 Acoustic Windscreens and Stone Chips - mikeyb
Sure I read somewhere about needing to do something specific for cars with auto wipers, or rather something the windscreen guy has to do?

Few stories about the auto function not working post screen replacement
 Acoustic Windscreens and Stone Chips - R.P.
Are acoustic windscreens like acoustic guitars ?
>> Are acoustic windscreens like acoustic guitars ?
>>

No :-) There's a layer of plastic in the laminated screen to reduce noise apparently.

I got told today that where the stone hit the screen meant it was never fixable before the crack appeared. It was in the black part of the bottom of the screen where it's glued to the body of the car. Apparently it's the rigidity there that means that a stone can do more damage - no flex possible.

Screen seems okay - all seems okay.
 Acoustic Windscreens and Stone Chips - bathtub tom
>>There's a layer of plastic in the laminated screen to reduce noise apparently.

I thought all laminated screens had a plastic layer between the inner and outer glass layers?
I think they probably do - maybe this is thicker or uses a noise insulating plastic? Or more layers? Whatever the difference is, it's called acoustic glass apparently. I think the claims are a noise reduction of 3dB on some cars with it.

I think the main reason for the plastic layer is weight reduction though.

e.g. www.saflex.com/pdf/Saflex®%20The%20Invisible%20Difference%20Brochure.pdf

And reading that article I've just found reinforces my thoughts on thinner glass making the stone damage resulting in a crack more likely. The original stone chip on my car was actually quite small. I think the reason for acoustic properties is to reduce noise levels that would be higher with thinner glass.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 3 Jun 13 at 23:11
Latest Forum Posts