Motoring Discussion > Possibly buying a newish Skoda? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Baz Replies: 10

Possibly buying a newish Skoda? - Baz
May swap our Panda for something bigger and more versatile for family of four plus the odd big trip to Europe fully loaded.
Big fan of Skoda and currently own an Octavia 1.9 tdi Mk 1 getting on a bit. Very impressed by the latest Octavia and the Roomster, both are serious options. Outsider is a 2 to 3 year old Avensis hatch or estate.

Budget up to about 10.5K, prefer to spend less obviously, being tight! Would hold onto it for 5 or 6 years at least. Like to minimise depreciation.
Questions re Skoda...... which engine? Petrol or diesel? Annual mileage 12000 but I like the old 1.9tdi.
Skoda are doing VAT free which opens up possibilities of a new one - breaking all my rules there! Want to avoid common rail and DPF. Hence the 105PD 1.9 in either model?
What's the 1.2 and 1.4 tsi like? Enough in the Octavia?
Any experiences of living with Roomster or any of these engines?
Am aware of Teves ABS unit issue in a used Octavia but now there's an independant fix, doesn't seem so much of an issue? Bit worrying though, hence looking at Avensis. Trouble with that is 1.8 petrol might be a bit flat and thirsty, while diesel Avensis I know nothing of. Have heard a few horror stories with the Avensis too. I read too much I guess!

Any advice welcome to help the decision-making process.
Cheers all.Baz
 Possibly buying a newish Skoda? - corax
My dad has a '03 Avensis 1.8. Excellent reliable workhorse. The engine is a bit coarse at higher revs but averages around 40mpg, making it hard to justify the diesel with all the extra complication they have. His never uses a drop of oil between services despite reputation for burning oil after 40,000 miles. Accelerates well for a big car. But try one first because personally I don't find the seat comfortable, and I can't get a good driving position. Very safe car, built like a brick outhouse.

Can't comment on the Skoda's although I'm sure plenty on here can.
 Possibly buying a newish Skoda? - Alastairw
You are doing right to consider the Octavia. Both the 1.2 and 1.4 TSi are said to be man enough for the job, but I understand thirstier than you would expect. 1.9 diesel will doubtless be fine, but according to a mate in the trade are often clocked when coming off taxi work - look for the little holes in the dash/number plate area.

I bought a 2.0 FSi for well under your budget. Going newer would bring the 1.8 TSI within range, and that is real flying machine reportedly.

Edit: Meant to add don't worry about the ESP. Most of them don't have it, only traction control, and these are unaffected by the fault.
Last edited by: Alastairw on Tue 1 Jun 10 at 22:59
 Possibly buying a newish Skoda? - Avant
I'd certainly recommend an Octavia, as would the great majority of us who drive one.

From what I see on the Briskoda forum, the 1.4 TSI is man enough to pull the Octavia along briskly but it needs plenty of welly to do so - hence the so-so economy. 1.8 TSI possibly the best compromise, but you could well find a 2.0 FSI tempting.

The 1.9 TDI has only 105 bhp and so is adequate if pedestrian. The 2.0 PD is more powerful, and some of the earlier ones don't have a DPF.

If my mileage goes down to 12,000, as it will eventualy when I retire in a few years' time, I think I'll go back to petrol, much as I like the torque and general excellence of the current 2.0 TDI CR in my vRS. You might do well to do the same, as modern diesels seem to have too much to go wrong if you're going to keep the car for 5 or 6 years as you suggest.
Last edited by: Avant on Tue 1 Jun 10 at 23:26
 Possibly buying a newish Skoda? - Woodster
I've been mucking about for ages now with changing my car, but that's a longish story. Drove an Octavia 1.6 CR TDi the other day. Absolutely fine at motorway speeds and gets there quickly enough but flat under 2k revs. That's no surprise and I'd quite happily live with it but I think it'll be a 2 litre Diesel for me with that extra flexibility. If you're intent on the old 1.9 perhaps a drive of the 1.6 might be wise. It's far quieter, more powerful, more economical and cleaner (£35 tax). On the reliability front - I'm sure a percentage of all cars have faults but you'd have to be unlucky. I reckon there's a bit of scaremongering out there. I've never had a major fault with a car in 26 years be they old bangers or modern Diesels, and I've had several of those. Incidentally, an older friend who has a new Porsche and is a very keen track day driver uses an Octavia 1.8 petrol for daily duties. Loves it.
 Possibly buying a newish Skoda? - hobby
I'm driving a Roomie 1.9 TDi at the moment, its no bundle of fire, but its acceleration is better than average, economy in the 50s and interior space and versatility is amazing... think PU had one for a while as well... That 1.9 PD engine is a real beaut... its only downside is that its a bit noisy, but even so I only have the radio on volume 10 (out of about 30) so it can't be that bad!

I looked at the Octavia (and a Berlingo - too big!) as well before we got the Roomie, and both seem good, just the boot space and felxible rear seats made us come down in favour of the Roomie...
 Possibly buying a newish Skoda? - Woodster
Baz, I drove the 2 litre diesel today. I've got a Golf with the same engine so no surprises really, and it's what I'll get I think. The golf's gone on auto trader. Anyway, if I may be so bold (!) perhaps you ought to try one and see if you still want that 1.9. £12700 for year old ones in elegance trim round near Heathrow....
 Possibly buying a newish Skoda? - Skoda
Can't offer anything of value over what's been said above apart from to highlight the briskoda.net forum is definately worth a look if you're not already on there for all things skoda. Frequently other VAG marque owners show up on those boards to get answers :-)

They're a good bunch, and boy are they passionate :-)
 Possibly buying a newish Skoda? - Glaikit Wee Scunner Snr. {P}
I also recommend Briskoda for lots of info..
The luggage space in the Octavia is very flexible and having a large hatch opening makes it easy to load cupboards, smallish settees, armchairs etc. I know, being in the middle of a DIY house moving.
 Possibly buying a newish Skoda? - Felix
Personally I think you couldn't go wrong with the 1.4 TSI. Got my Octavia with that engine almst 6 mnths ago (VAT free deal) and it's brilliant. I was a committed diesel man, not only for the economy but the way they drive, but this engine was a revelation to me. Smooth, powerful and torquey and a geared so it cruises in a very relaxed manner, no comparison with any normal petrol 1.6, say. And economy is averaging out at 39 mpg in mixed use. OK it's well short of what you'd get with the 1.6 TDI but the difference in price is huge so you've got to do a lot of miles to make it worthwhile IMHO. I imagine even the 1.2 TSI would be OK if you were less fussed about performance.
 Possibly buying a newish Skoda? - Skoda
That's a good point, the "oh but i prefer the torque of a diesel" nature applies to these engines.
Latest Forum Posts