Motoring Discussion > DVLA Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 5

DVLA - R.P.
Online is very good. Used it twice in the last couple of weeks, first time to change the details on selling the Scooter. All confirmed to me and the buyer in an instant. V5 was sent to him within a couple of days and I must have had the confirmation of sale the same day. Pulled the private plate from the GS last Friday - E mail arrive din seconds along with the authority to put the original plate on straight away. Tax change was seamless. V5 arrived for it this morning by second class post. Brilliant.
 DVLA - bathtub tom
Alright for you, you're in the same principality.
 DVLA - Harleyman
Never had any issues with them yet; put the old van on SORN and received my cheque for the VED refund within a week, logbook for new van turned up same timescale.

If it's straightforward stuff they really do show other government departments how it should be done, but I still hear of horror stories about people having issues with missing entitlements on licences, refusal to accept paperwork and occasionally loss of same. In mitigation one has to wonder how much is actually DVLA's fauult though, and how much is a combination of customer stupidity and Royal Mail ineptitude.

Given the sheer volume of stuff they must deal with on a daily basis, I think the service is pretty good overall. I also found them most helpfuil a couple of years ago when I imported a Harley from the USA.
 DVLA - R.P.
My sister worked there briefly many years ago. 24/7 letter opening was a major undertaking and staff were rotated frequently. The online transactions must be a boon.
 DVLA - Old Navy
I have had no problems with the online routine stuff. Where they fell over big time recently was with the transfer of vehicles between DVLA and DVNI, they are not digitally linked, use the mail system and had huge backlogs. There was also a problem with the transfer of private plates causing registration delays and cost to dealers. I had to wait four weeks for a dealer to be able to register a car I bought which was registered with DVNI and had to be transferred to DVLA. Google DVLA delays for info.
 DVLA - Slidingpillar
Yes, normal stuff they do fine, but took 3 months to reply to a letter! I was asking something very not run of the mill a few years ago and I suspect they don't have many staff who have experience of the pre computer days. The issue concerned the reading of handwriting of a chassis number and although they got it wrong in 1976, the original error dated back to at least the late 50s.

However, they could have asked the vehicle be inspected, and didn't. Which spared me explaining that Morgan didn't stamp the initial letter on cast iron lugs as they are a bit hard, and 'everyone' knows they are looking at a M type chassis,

Latest Forum Posts