Motoring Discussion > Insurance renewal - forgotten accident Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: hawkeye Replies: 9

Insurance renewal - forgotten accident - hawkeye
Last year Mrs H had an accident. She was reversing into a marked kerbside parking bay when a delivery van (on the wrong side of the road) overtook her car to get to the same space. Unsighted, (she was looking over her left shoulder and the van approached from the right) Mrs H carried on into the side of the van damaging her rear bumper and scraping paint on the wing and rear door. As she was reversing, she was held to be at fault and LV paid for fixing her car and some unspecified amount for removing some of her paint from the rubbing strake on the brown van.

Fast forward seven months and my renewal from LV has arrived. The numbers seem satisfactory but under the heading 'Claims or accidents in last 5 years' there is the entry, 'none'. Have LV witheld this info. to stop me getting comparable quotes from elsewhere?
Do I just ignore it and hope that if there's a problem, the chickens will come home to roost on LV's roof as it was their error, or do I draw their attention to the claim and take it on the chin?

Advice welcome as always.
 Insurance renewal - forgotten accident - Lygonos
You must bring it up with the insurer.

The responsibility for making sure the proposal is correct is yours.

Not a risk worth taking.
 Insurance renewal - forgotten accident - Manatee
I would make sure it was taken into account (which it might be anyway) explicitly.

They presumably include a prefilled proposal form and, either in so many words or implicitly, rely on you to confirm or correct the details.

I would just call as you normally would to accept the renewal, and mention it at the time - note the name of the CSR you speak to. If the premium increases, then take a view on whether you still want it.

It will possibly (or perhaps has) made less difference than you might think. LV have been very fair with my wife following 2 accidents (one her fault) in 2 years, although she is now about £100 more expensive to keep as a named driver on my cars.
 Insurance renewal - forgotten accident - No FM2R
There are only a few possibilities;

1) The revelation has no impact on you, in which case why not reveal it?

2) The revelation has an impact on you and you believe it will come to light, in which case better to deal with it now rather than when it really matters, whatever the implications.

3)The Revelation will have an impact on you so you hope nobody ever finds out.

Is there a 4th? I don't think so.

So that'll be 2 votes for tell them and 1 dodgy vote for keep quiet.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sun 25 Feb 18 at 19:17
Sense and reason from you forumeers, thank you. Will ring them tomorrow.
 Insurance renewal - forgotten accident - Bill Payer
Would be glad to know how you got on with LV=?

They insure my wife's car and I managed to put a short scrape into one side. I'm wondering about the effect on premium if I claim rather than pay out-of-pocket.
 Insurance renewal - forgotten accident - PeterS
Our cars have been insured with LV for the last 5 years or so, from memory because they were originally competitive, and the renewal premiums are always pretty much identical to to the previous years, even when the odd SP30 has needed declaring. They’ve also never charged me for amendments to policies.

And while I’ve never claimed, my father, who is also insured with them, has after an accident in France. Not only were his out of pocket expenses in France (taxis, hotels, ferry) in his account the same day he got home, they asked him if he actually wanted the car repairing. Whilst it was repairable, it was pretty badly damaged and only 15 months old, so he chose not to and ordered a new one. He wasn’t paid our new for old as it was more than a year old, but he was happy enough with the payout. And again it was settled in a matter of days. Which obviously saved LV the hire car cost, but as my parents have another car they were happy enough. As, presumably, were Audi who in the space of 18 months managed to sell two A3s to my father and and A1 for my mother ;)

Premium wise, I’d always had my father on our policies just in case, with negligible impact on the premium. Completely unnecessarily as he never actually drives our cars. This time round though, there was a £70 increase per policy for including him, though I’m not sure if that’s because of the accident or because he’s now over 70...
 Insurance renewal - forgotten accident - martin aston
I recently noticed that my wife's windscreen claim 18 months ago on her car (not insured with LV) wasnt on my LV policy on which she is a named driver. I rang LV, they noted it and reissued the docs with no charge. Maybe I'll see an increase come renewal in October.

Contrast that with another insurer for her car who she is just transferring to. She noticed she had put the wrong year of acquiring her car in the proposal, by a year. She rang them and they amended it but charged a fiver! Annoying but still a very cheap quote, quite a bit less than LV.

LV however do seem still to be among the more sensible companies when it comes to amendments.
 Insurance renewal - forgotten accident - Mapmaker
You don't want them to find out subsequently and then cancel your insurance. Then you would find it almost impossible to get insurance.
OK I've had the conversation with LV. Retirement has meant a couple of minor changes in the employment stuff for both me and Mrs H. The renewal was less than last year for both cars. The angst over Mrs H's bump made me forget that LV have also coughed up for a new windscreen for the C3 last year; it's one of those big screens that go back to the 'B' pillar sonot an insignificant claim. After the conversation I was about £18 worse off over 2 cars than before which I can accept.

The reference to no accidents I queried was because that refers to the proposer (me), not the other driver (mrs H).

My local repair shop was paid promptly by LV but I think in discussion with the van driver's insurer they rolled over way too quickly to apportion blame to Mrs H.

Life's too short etc. and I'm looking out of the study window at a snow-covered picture-postcard view across the village green at the pub. I wonder if the universe is trying to tell me something?
Latest Forum Posts