Motoring Discussion > Large load space for dog cage and other gear Buying / Selling
Thread Author: the_moose Replies: 11

Large load space for dog cage and other gear - the_moose
Hi all,

I want to get a vehicle with a large enough load area for a dog cage (105 x 70 x 70cm) along with other luggage. Currently we run an Alhambra where the dog cage sits sideways across the load space, but it takes up most of the room so we need to use a roof box for luggage. Is there anything with a 1m+ long load bay that we could get instead, so I could mount the dog cage front-to-back instead of sideways across the load bay?

We don't need the 7 seats we have in the Alhambra, but it does need room for 4 adults in relative comfort. It must be petrol as we do lots of short runs (I've screwed up the DPF and Cat on our diesel Alhambra). Fuel economy is relatively unimportant.

I value reliability far higher than looks, and with the exception of e-windows in the front I am not fussed about any gadgets. I would prefer SUV style for easier access, I don't want to bend down to get into an estate car. Not bothered about age if it was something I would get 5+ yrs use out of, and I would hope to spend less than £20k - but if necessary I could extend that for the ideal vehicle.

I might be looking for a unicorn here, but is there something in the UK that fits the bill? We were in the US a couple of years ago and hired a Ford Expedition that I reckon would have been ideal, it had a cavern of load space, but I can't think of anything I've seen on UK roads that is similar in style with the large squared-off back end. Maybe a twin cab pickup with the load area covered would do? I could perhaps replace the rear cab glass with something that opens so we have a bit of contact with the dog, but I've not found any petrol versions of large twin cabs in my searches.

Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated, thanks.
 Large load space for dog cage and other gear - Bromptonaut
Regulars here will say it's my answer to everything but would a Citroen Berlingo (or one of it's Peugeot or Vauxhall clones) fit the bill?
 Large load space for dog cage and other gear - Zero
Just back from a dog show, in my BMW 540 I touring.

In the back I have a large Safedog cage lengthwise, with room along side for all our training gear, tent, hiback chair, table. The BMW is the best for his no sloping rear tailgate

I have done nearly two seasons dog dog shows with it, and its been perfect for task,

Last edited by: Zero on Sun 8 Sep 19 at 18:33
 Large load space for dog cage and other gear - Bobby
Does the Alhambra not have 1m when the rear seats are out?
 Large load space for dog cage and other gear - Runfer D'Hills
I have to carry and regularly load and unload lots of heavy stuff in and out of my car ( spellcheck changed car to cat which could have been misleading ! )

Having had all manner of vehicles, I'd have to say I find an estate car much easier to load and unload than a taller car. Less vertical distance to lift things. Also, a dog can jump in much more easily.

If it was me, I'd be looking for any large estate car that fitted my budget and preferences.
 Large load space for dog cage and other gear - VxFan
Can't answer your question Moose, but just to say welcome to the madhouse.
 Large load space for dog cage and other gear - Dulwich Estate II
Skoda Superb Estate ?

Hyundai i40 Estate ? (now no longer in production I believe)
 Large load space for dog cage and other gear - Duncan
>> Hyundai i40 Estate ? (now no longer in production I believe)
>>

Autotrader shows 10 brand new i40 estates.

tinyurl.com/y65lqmsp
 Large load space for dog cage and other gear - Zero
Skoda Superb Estate is a good call, a few of those in use on the dog circuit.
 Large load space for dog cage and other gear - James T
But for the petrol engine requirement, I'd have recommended a Sorento.

With the third row of seats down, there's loads of dog space. And as a bonus, the dog gets its own aircon controls and outlets. It's been brilliant when our puppy was getting very uncomfortable in the heat and we were away caravanning. I just popped her in the crate in the boot and went for a 30 minute drive and the aircon cooled her right down.

I haven't managed to teach her to adjust her own aircon controls yet though.

Was going to swap to a Q7, but the sorento suits the dog much better so we've decided to keep the sorento a bit longer.
 Large load space for dog cage and other gear - devonite
2nd vote for the Superb! - my Octavia is equally huge at the back even with the seats up, drop them down and you could almost get an extension ladder in there! ;-) - I fit 3 large hounds in comfortably with the seats up!
 Large load space for dog cage and other gear - Alanovich
SsangYong Turismo.
Latest Forum Posts