Motoring Discussion > Missed MoT expiry Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Manatee Replies: 10

Missed MoT expiry - Manatee
I might have passed the age when I can keep things on my head. The boss's car was registered in June 2014 so VED comes round in May, and MoT about the same time...except it doesn't because we got a 6 month extension during Covid.

Accordingly I forgot and discovered mid December that the MoT had expired on the 7th of that month. Managed to book an appointment for yesterday. A rather uncomfortable couple of weeks has passed in which we have almost entirely avoided using it.

It sailed through yesterday despite a minor exhaust leak (only major leaks are a fail). I had mentioned that there was a recent new growliness to the engine sounds. In fact I didn't even get an advisory, because my friendly tester fixed it. Like some other VW group cars, the exhaust is in two sections joined together by a sleeve that clamps around the front and rear sections - the clamps were nowhere to be seen. Two big Jubilee clips made a temporary repair, the clamps will be fitted at the next service.

Decent service that saved me scrambling around underneath. Although I did lacerate my hand changing a headlight lamp before I took it.

Weren't MoT intervals going to be extended?
 Missed MoT expiry - sooty123
I think it was looked at but didn't end up being changed.
 Missed MoT expiry - Bromptonaut
>> Weren't MoT intervals going to be extended?

Like Operation Sealion, it was contemplated but never planned.....
 Missed MoT expiry - tyrednemotional
>>
>> Weren't MoT intervals going to be extended?
>>

...far too European post-Brexit.....
 Missed MoT expiry - Mr Moo
Various apps now that will remind you when MOT, service etc due. Autotrader app is one of them. Or stick it on the calendar on your phone with a reminder a couple of weeks before.

I get a text message from the local indy when ours is due.
 Missed MoT expiry - Robin O'Reliant
The Old Bill are handy for issuing reminders too.
 Missed MoT expiry - Rudedog
The GOV.UK site does it - sends a reminder one month ahead of date.
 Missed MoT expiry - bathtub tom
>> The Old Bill are handy for issuing reminders too.

I very much doubt if they're bothered, what with all the other stuff they have to deal with.

No MOT results in a fine, no points.

No tax, is a DVLA issue.

No insurance will only bother BIBs if it's a moving traffic offence. ie. seen moving.
 Missed MoT expiry - Boxsterboy
Yes but if you believe the TV programmes where a camera accompanies a Police car, a pull for no MOT on the ANPR can often lead to greater offences being uncovered - no licence, over-stayed immigrant, skipped bail, drugs, etc.
 Missed MoT expiry - bathtub tom
>> Yes but if you believe the TV programmes where a camera accompanies a Police car,
>> a pull for no MOT on the ANPR can often lead to greater offences being
>> uncovered - no licence, over-stayed immigrant, skipped bail, drugs, etc.

If you listen carefully, those things are pinging alerts every few seconds. It seems they only bother for the more serious offences.
 Missed MoT expiry - Bromptonaut
>> No insurance will only bother BIBs if it's a moving traffic offence. ie. seen moving.

I think I'm right in saying that under current continuous insurance regs a car on the highway has to be insured. I've certainly watched one or two being lifted from outside our old office in central Northampton with Police in attendance. A quick check on the MIB website disclosed no insurance.
Latest Forum Posts