Motoring Discussion > F1 and general motorsport discussion - Vol 8   [Read only]
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 100

F1 and general motorsport discussion - Vol 8 - VxFan

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 9 *****

As the title suggests, a place to discuss Formula One, and all other types of motorsport (excluding MotoGP, which has a section of its own).

PLEASE NOTE:-

To try and maintain some kind of logical order of discussion, if you start a new subject then reply to this post and remember to change the default subject header.

Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 8 Feb 11 at 01:11

Abu Dhabi Grand Prix. - henry k
"McLaren driver Lewis Hamilton has refused to give up his slim hopes of winning the Formula 1 title at this weekend's final race of the season.
Hamilton trails Ferrari's championship leader Fernando Alonso by 24 points - with 25 on offer for a win - heading into Sunday's Abu Dhabi Grand Prix. "

I hope he looks after his tyres a little better this time:-)

Abu Dhabi Grand Prix. - hobby
He's the only one of the four with absolutely nothing to lose... should prove interesting!

Abu Dhabi Grand Prix. - Zero
Watching F1 qualifying in HD

Not sure if its upscaled or HD source, some of it is pretty good quality, and enough technical problems to suggest its being trialled.
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 13 Nov 10 at 13:04

Congrats to Vettel, Shame about Webber, Glad Alonso didnt get it.

Abu Dhabi Grand Prix. - Tooslow
Yup. That's five world champions competing next year.

John

Exactly the same sentiment from me as well, Zero... Shame about Webber, but congrats Vettel...

Do you reckon that was Webber's one and only chance gone, or could he compete again?

Abu Dhabi Grand Prix. - zookeeper
nice to see Alonso,s gentlemanly behviour in defeat...what a sore loser, is it too much to shake the winners hand?

Abu Dhabi Grand Prix. - bathtub tom
Who'd have thought old Schumy would have such an effect on the result?

On the one hand he stopped his old team from winning the drivers championship, but on the other he let a German win it.

Ambivalent perhaps?

Abu Dhabi Grand Prix. - Stuu
Another result nobody really thought would happen. Congrats to Vettel, shame for Webber, Alonso never deserved it, he is a sore loser, good riddence, even team orders couldnt make him champion.
Nice race, shame about the difficulty overtaking, do hope they sort this.

Abu Dhabi Grand Prix. - zookeeper
during the podium presentation at the end of the race i was familiar with the german national anthem being played for vettel ( winning driver)
but the second tune was a little less familiar on the ear, in fact i didnt even know milton keynes had a national anthem ? can any one enlighten me as to the tune being played?

Abu Dhabi Grand Prix. - PR
Austrian national anthem, RedBull is an Austrian team.

Congrats to Vettel but be in no doubt REdBull would have also used team orders had the situation arose (as Horner said beforehand).

Also Alonso was very congratulationary in the interview afterwards. He even complimented Petrov on driving a good race, but dont let that ruin a stereotype eh!

Abu Dhabi Grand Prix. - Westpig
>> Also Alonso was very congratulationary in the interview afterwards. He even >>complimented Petrov on driving a good race, but dont let that ruin a stereotype eh!
>>

Is this the same man that whilst slowing down at the end of the race allowed Petrov to creep up beside him..and shook his fists at him?

...and the same chap who couldn't work at McLaren, because they wouldn't put all their eggs in his basket....yet Button said in the post race interview how well he'd fitted in to McLaren and how well they'd supported him.

He didn't deserve to win the championship because of the cheating in Germany and his poor sportsmanship in general. I accept he's a very good driver, one of the best, but with significant flaws i.e. everything has to be centered around him..if not it's foot stamping time.

Why on earth did he think Petrov would move over today?

Have you seen the interview? He said Petrov had defended aggressively against a pass attempt, so I am assuming in the heat of the moment he shook his fist. He then praised Petrovs driving and congratulated Vettel.

As for the "cheating" in Germany Christian Horner himself said they would do exactly the same thing if it came down to it..

His unsuccessful year at McLaren listening to the English press would think it was all Alonsos fault. Other sources seem more balanced, sure he didnt cover himself in glory, but neither did Ron or McLarens treatment of him.

Abu Dhabi Grand Prix. - Westpig
>> Have you seen the interview?

Yes

>>He said Petrov had defended aggressively against a pass attempt

something they all should be doing

>> so I am assuming in the heat of the moment he shook his fist.

I assumed the same.

>>He then praised Petrovs driving and congratulated Vettel.

That'll be after he's had time to think about it then, become a bit more rational.

>> His unsuccessful year at McLaren listening to the English press would think it was all
>> Alonsos fault. Other sources seem more balanced, sure he didnt cover himself in glory, but neither did Ron or McLarens treatment of him.

Why would that be then? Why hasn't the same happened to Button? Why, in that season, did Alonso deliberately sit in a pit stop to prevent his then team mate Hamilton having enough time to complete the qualifying laps he wished to?

I cannot see why a team like McLaren would employ, at great expense, a 2 time world champion to pit him with his experience, with boy wonder...and then give the bloke a hard time. Why would they do that. If that was the set up there, why does Button fit in so well now?

This from the BBCs Andrew Benson blog, which is very good..about the Monaco race in 2007 which was reported that Alonso won because of team orders...

Alonso's last victory in Monaco was in 2007, and it was the event that marked the beginning of the end of his relationship with McLaren and their former team principal Ron Dennis.

That race is remembered as one that Alonso won thanks to team orders, after McLaren told team-mate Lewis Hamilton to slow down and not challenge Alonso for the victory.

But that reading is wrong.

This has never come out before, but it was Dennis's actions after that race that so angered Alonso, and which convinced him the team would always be behind Hamilton and not him. That was the backdrop to the tumultuous fall-out that enveloped McLaren and Alonso as that famous 'spy-gate' summer unfolded.

As a McLaren insider revealed to me: "Fernando won in Monaco fair and square in 2007.

"Lewis was generally quicker through the weekend, but in qualifying Fernando did it and Lewis didn't. Lewis was quicker in the first run but then he made mistakes and Fernando got pole.

"Fernando won the race because he pulled an 11-second gap in the first stint when Lewis had (tyre) graining and after that Fernando was just cruising because we had rear brake issues.

"But after the race, Ron said to Fernando: 'Be nice to Lewis because we had to (pit) stop him early.' And Fernando said: 'What do you mean? I was just cruising.'

"He got very annoyed about that because it was like Ron saying we handed you the victory. Even after that, the relationship was unrecoverable."

Full story...

www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/andrewbenson/2010/05/alonso_overreaching_in_reargua.html

And I am not saying Alonso is an angel, but he has always stated he wanted PARITY in the team, not no 1 status.

>> but he has always stated he
>> wanted PARITY in the team, not no 1 status.
>>

Yeh, right!

The same sort of "parity" as MS always used to insist of having, no doubt!

Thats why I posted that story from a McLaren insider ;)

Think you missed my point, lost in the sarcasm no doubt! ;-)

>> the cheating and his
>> poor sportsmanship in general.

Now where have we heard that before about another driver...

>> Do you reckon that was Webber's one and only chance gone, or could he compete
>> again?

I bet he is out of redbull pretty sharpish, mutual dislike there I think

Wonder where he will go...

Abu Dhabi Grand Prix. - Boxsterboy
Note to Bernie Ecclestone: Don't have next year's championship finale in a dry country. The sight of Vettel, Hamilton & Button trying to celebrate a multi-million pound championship with flat 'champagne' (i.e. alcohol-free apple juice) was a bit of an anti-climax.

Abu Dhabi Grand Prix. - Armel Coussine
>> trying to celebrate a multi-million pound championship with flat 'champagne' (i.e. alcohol-free apple juice)

Actually Hamilton took a swig of his and spat it out on camera.

A lot of cringing on the grid before the start. Nice of the King of Spain to turn up. Just as well for Alonso he's not the king of Colombia though innit?

I don't share this disparaging view of Alonso. He's always seemed OK to me by front-rank sports star standards, which are not those of the people I normally associate with. Like most F1 drivers he isn't thick.

It wasn't his day though, or Ferrari's, or Webber's. I hope Webber does another season or two with a decent motor.

The commentators are starting to mention my man Kobayashi although he didn't finish in the points this time.

MacLaren did as well as could be expected. Old Ron isn't looking too well though.

Abu Dhabi Grand Prix. - Hard Cheese

Would have liked Ferrari to prevail, they have now been on the wrong end of that last race scenario twice in recent years. In '08 Massa stormed away from the field in Brazil in a Vettel kind of way (though in much more treacherous conditions) with Hamiltion needing a 5th place which he just scraped into. Where as this time it was the Ferrari driver that was only needed to scrape into a 4th place and they didnt make it.

I am pleased for Vettel though, nothing against Webber though he is not a truly special driver in the Schu, Alonso, Vettel mould.

Abu Dhabi Grand Prix. - Stuu
Special mention for Petrov I think. He managed to keep a very furstrated Alonso behind him or 40 or so laps, certainly worthy of note.
Koby would Im sure do so much better in a faster car - I hope either Sauber provide one, or a better seat is forthcoming for next year.

Abu Dhabi Grand Prix. - John H
My take on 2010:

Vettel used his fast car and his young sharp mind to get most pole positions on Saturdays. Most of his wins have come from pole position. Put him behind someone, and he becomes the crash kid.

My ranking of top five drivers:
Overtaking ability - Hamilton, Alonso, Kobayashi, Rosberg and Kubica.
Whole personality package - Hamilton, Button, Webber, Vettel, and Kobayashi (just beating Petrov).

Driver who lost his mojo - Massa.
Smug and Nasty characters: two canditates who I won't name as they might sue me.

Driver who lost the title twice because he wants to win every race and does not see the whole picture - Hamilton.

I prefer to see Mclaren, Red Bull or any other UK based team win any day in preference to Alonso and Ferrari, although I might just make an exception for Massa if I amin a generous mood.

Vettel's win made my day and my year, not because I particulary wanted him to win (Hamilton and Webber got my backing), but because he prevented Alonso and Montezemolo and Ferrari geting the glory.

p.s. The race in Brazil - someone commented that Button drove well to get up to fifth. No he didn't. Look at the stats below to see how the timing of his pit stop got him ahead of the five drivers who were ahead of him until then:
www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2010/11/09/brazilian-grand-prix-complete-race-weekend-review/
www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/pitstops.gif
www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/lapchart.gif
www.f1fanatic.co.uk/charts/201018r.html
Use the cahrt above by unitcking all those drivers who were behind Button and all those ahead of Hamilton. You will then have the race progress for the positions 4th to 11th.

You can see a comparison of Jenson vs Hamilton race by race for 2010 season here:
www.f1fanatic.co.uk/statistics/jenson-button-vs-team-mate-2010/

Abu Dhabi Grand Prix. - L'escargot
I hope Vettel doesn't get greedy and ask for a salary for next year higher than Red Bull are prepared to pay.

Abu Dhabi Grand Prix. - Manatee
Who's his manager? It seems to be they who cause the problems with footballers, as recently with Fergie's nipper, seemingly to the detriment of his performance as well.

F1 drivers are pretty bright on the whole though. Vettel is probably more interested in where he can win another world championship, given that money won't be that much of a problem if he does.

Abu Dhabi Grand Prix. - VxFan
>> Who's his manager?

Himself it would seem.

community.redbullracing.com/forums/thread.cfm?threadID=894

Alonso rubs it in - John H
"Fernando Alonso says he took great satisfaction from his margin of superiority over Ferrari team-mate Felipe Massa this season, with the Spaniard seeing the gap as evidence that he was in his best form yet.

"It's probably the biggest gap that I have ever had to a team-mate and that makes me happy because of the results that I've had over the past years," said Alonso."

www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/88537

Alonso rubs it in - IJWS14
But did Massa really have the same equipment

We only know about one instruction to pull over, I would be certain there was more favouritism than that.

Why does a second drvier stay at Ferrari - they want to win but, like Rubens for all those years, know that they would only be allowed to if the number one was out.

Alonso rubs it in - Stuu
Money. It might be a dream job, but its still a job.

Alonso rubs it in - Tooslow
Don't forget the free watches.

John

Alonso rubs it in - Hard Cheese

Massa has been complaining about the charateristics of this year's Bridgstone tyres (as has Schumacher), he prefers a car to oversteer though this year's front tyres didnt have the bite and were difficult to get heat into and hence suited driver that err towards understeer.

Note how Massa was half a second faster than anyone during the first Pirelli tyre test last week.

Alonso rubs it in - Zero

>> Note how Massa was half a second faster than anyone during the first Pirelli tyre
>> test last week.
>

Given that quite a few of next years leading contenders never showed up to drive, thats not a good pointer.

Alonso rubs it in - corax
Hamilton was on the Anglia news the other day, saying he did not think this was 'a golden era', when asked, but it would be interesting next year with so many champions now in the mix.

The last golden era were the turbocharged cars.

>>
>> Given that quite a few of next years leading contenders never showed up to drive,
>> thats not a good pointer.
>>

Well the new world champ, Vettel, was 2nd and Alonso, most relevantly, was 3rd.

Alonso rubs it in - Zero
On a different day and with different track conditions.

Nope, Vettel ran both days and Pirelli reckoned that the 2nd day, when Alonso ran instead of Massa, was the faster day because more Pirelli rubber was laid down. They had scrubbed the track to remove much of the Bridgestone rubber so the track was green on the first day.

Alonso rubs it in - Zero
Ched

Next season, every time that Alonso sets a faster qualifying time than Massa, I am going to say to you "I told you so"

You are going to get very bored with it.

>> I am going to say to you "I told you so" You are going to get very bored with it.
>>

I am quite used to getting bored with what you say RF ;-)

BTW shall I do the same very time a Ferrari is ahead of a McLaren?

Alonso rubs it in - Zero
Of course

why change the habit of a lifetime? ;)

All of F1 cars to have FOUR pot engines in 2013 - henry k
Yes Four pot and big Kers. This is no joke :-)

news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9255871.stm
Last edited by: henry k on Sat 4 Dec 10 at 16:04

All of F1 cars to have FOUR pot engines in 2013 - corax
>> Yes Four pot and big Kers. This is no joke :-)
>>
>> news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9255871.stm

Interesting. To produce the same power with less capacity means the engines will be more stressed. Only revving to 10000 instead of 18000. The turbo boost pressure must have to be high then, how else will they achieve it apart from energy recovery? The BRM V16 engine was producing 525 bhp from a supercharged 1.5L at 10500rpm in 1950, so easily achievable in modern times.

I don't suppose the turbo boost will be adjustable like the good old days.

All of F1 cars to have FOUR pot engines in 2013 - bathtub tom
It says they'll have compounded turbos.

To me that means the output of the turbo will be fed to the input thus ramping up the pressure.

All of F1 cars to have FOUR pot engines in 2013 - L'escargot
I wonder why they quoted the power capacity of the Kers system in kW when the rest of the article was about bhp? Had the author lost his pocket calculator?

All of F1 cars to have FOUR pot engines in 2013 - BiggerBadderDave
"Yes Four pot"

If this state of the art and cutting edge F1 technology filters down to the man on the street, as tends to be the case, it's conceivable that we could all be driving 4-cylinder cars in the not too distant future.

All of F1 cars to have FOUR pot engines in 2013 - L'escargot
>> "Yes Four pot"
>>
>> If this state of the art and cutting edge F1 technology filters down to the
>> man on the street, as tends to be the case, it's conceivable that we could
>> all be driving 4-cylinder cars in the not too distant future.
>>

I'm ahead of the game. All the cars I've ever owned have had 4 cylinders.

All of F1 cars to have FOUR pot engines in 2013 - Tooslow
ditto. :-(
John
 Wings for overtaking. - henry k
More info about general chaanges
news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9275796.stm

Re wings:-
"The movable wings, which will be used from the start of next season, are an attempt to improve one of F1's perennial problems - the difficulties of overtaking.

The wings will be operated by the drivers, who will be able to use them when they are within a second of a car in front which they are trying to overtake.

The gaps between the cars will be monitored electronically by the FIA and the wings will be switched on when the driver behind is within the requisite distance.

Rule makers will monitor the way the wings work through the 2011 season and adjust them so they fit the purpose for which they were designed. "

KISS ?

Last edited by: henry k on Fri 10 Dec 10 at 14:03

Wings for overtaking. - John H
>> Rule makers will monitor the way the wings work through the 2011 season and adjust
>> them so they fit the purpose for which they were designed. "
>>

The proposed draft rules had said (don't know if it will be in the final form) that a following car could only deploy the adjustment if within 1 second or so of the car in front and that this would be controlled via electronics at race-control.

I prefer the idea mooted by Karun Chandhok, who said that the drivers should be given an allowance of say 20 uses of the adjustment, primed in their electronics at the start of the race. Then let them use the device as and when they like, but after using it up 20 times, they lose that function.

Someone also proposed that the blue flag rules for backmarkers should be removed, after this wing is introduced, so that drivers race as racing drivers should and use their skill to legally block or overtake each other.

Wings for overtaking. - Zero
If the wing is adjustable, its part of the drivers toolbox, whats with the "you can only use when we say so" rubbish

Controlling what a car can do or not from race control or some other higher authority is scalextrix, nothing more or less.

Wings for overtaking. - John H
>> Controlling what a car can do or not from race control or some other higher
>> authority is scalextrix, nothing more or less.
>>

new 2011 rules, team order ban removed.

www.fia.com/en-GB/mediacentre/pressreleases/wmsc/2010/Pages/wmsc-101210.aspx
FORMULA ONE

The WMSC approved the introduction of a new specification engine from 2013, underlining the FIA’s commitment to improving sustainability and addressing the needs of the automotive industry. Following dialogue with the engine manufacturers and experts in this field, the power units will be four cylinders, 1.6 litre with high pressure gasoline injection up to 500 bar with a maximum of 12,000 rpm.

The engines will deliver a 35% reduction in fuel consumption and will feature extensive energy management and energy recovery systems, while maintaining current levels of performance. In 2013, five engines will be permitted per driver, but each year after that the limit will be four.

Sporting and Technical Regulations

A number of changes were made to the Sporting and Technical Regulations for 2011, including:

- The article forbidding team orders (39.1) is deleted. Teams will be reminded that any actions liable to bring the sport into disrepute are dealt with under Article 151c of the International Sporting Code and any other relevant provisions
- Amendments to the list of penalties Stewards are permitted to apply
- Revisions to driving and driver conduct
- A limit on the width of the fast lane in the pits
- The introduction of a regulation permitting the Race Director to close the pit lane during a race for safety reasons
- The re-introduction of intermediate tyres for 2011
- Penalties to be applied to any driver who fails to use both specification of dry weather tyre during the race
- An amendment requiring gearboxes to be used for five consecutive races, instead of four
- Clarification on when cars can overtake the safety car
- A refinement to the principles of the regulations already agreed concerning moveable rear wings
- A better definition of the reference plane, and reinforcement of bodywork deflection tests, especially at the front of the reference plane
- The allowance for anti-intrusion panels to protect drivers’ legs

www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2010/6/10935.html

snippets

"Safety Car
With immediate effect, no car may overtake until it has passed the first safety car line for the first time when the safety car is returning to the pits. However, if the safety car is still deployed at the beginning of the last lap, or is deployed during the last lap, it will enter the pit lane at the end of the lap and the cars will take the chequered flag as normal without overtaking."

"Driver adjustable bodywork
From 2011, adjustable bodywork may be activated by the driver at any time prior to the start of the race and, for the sole purpose of improving overtaking opportunities during the race, after the driver has completed two laps. The driver may only activate the adjustable bodywork in the race when he has been notified via the control electronics that it is enabled. It will only be enabled if the driver is less than one second behind another at any of the pre-determined positions around each circuit. The system will be disabled the first time the driver uses the brakes after the system has been activated. The FIA may, after consulting all the competitors, adjust the time proximity in order to ensure the purpose of the adjustable bodywork is met."

Last edited by: John H on Fri 10 Dec 10 at 18:03

F1 and general motorsport discussion - Vol 8 - f2
I had a quick scan of the new regs; funny but I was half expecting a new rule stipulating that by 2014 all teams are required to use the word 'Lotus' in their name.

f2

F1 and general motorsport discussion - Vol 8 - hobby
What madness... either they allow adjustable wings/bodywork without restrictions of they just ban it... to say that the times may be adjusted afterwards (and after reference to the other competitors!!) is stupid...

They should be making the rules simpler, not more complicated!
Last edited by: Webmaster on Mon 13 Dec 10 at 01:36

F1 and general motorsport discussion - Vol 8 - Hard Cheese
>>
>> They should be making the rules simpler, not more complicated!
>>

Agreed !

Now there's a first... we agree!! ;-)

F1 and general motorsport discussion - Vol 8 - Manatee
>> What madness... either they allow adjustable wings/bodywork without restrictions of they just ban it... to
>> say that the times may be adjusted afterwards (and after reference to the other competitors!!) is stupid...

I read it as meaning that the one second interval might be reviewed/revised - nothing retrospective. If it solves the overtaking problem by enabling faster cars to progress through the field then it's worth a try.
Last edited by: Webmaster on Mon 13 Dec 10 at 01:36

Get rid of wings altogether?! :-)

F1 and general motorsport discussion - Vol 8 - corax
>> If it solves the overtaking problem by enabling faster cars to progress through the
>> field then it's worth a try.

Adjustable boost would solve the overtaking problem, but maybe it would shorten engine life or affect emissions too much, which is why they won't do it.

F1 proposed 'major' changes for 2013 - Focusless
news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9307861.stm

Includes "The average proportion of a lap that a driver is able to spend on full throttle to be cut from 70% in 2010 to 50% in 2013". Is the 70% currently an actual regulation, or design aim?
Last edited by: Focus on Tue 21 Dec 10 at 16:34

F1 proposed 'major' changes for 2013 - PR
NOt sure it is either, is it not an average? Certainly nothing currently in the regs about time on full throttle.

F1 proposed 'major' changes for 2013 - Zero
>> news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9307861.stm
>>
>> Includes "The average proportion of a lap that a driver is able to spend on
>> full throttle to be cut from 70% in 2010 to 50% in 2013". Is the
>> 70% currently an actual regulation, or design aim?

and how do they plan to do that?

F1 proposed 'major' changes for 2013 - hobby
I'm sure that BMW have said they could run without the driver... now seems to be the time to do it, after all they don't seem to do much these days...

F1 proposed 'major' changes for 2013 - Alastairw
I think the % of time on full throttle is more of an aim ie: anyone can keep their foot on the floor, but being able to judge how much to use through a corner is a skill (much the same as Scalextric, now I think about it!)
Last edited by: Alastairw on Wed 22 Dec 10 at 19:43

F1 proposed 'major' changes for 2013 - Armel Coussine
Not about speed but fuel consumption surely? You get your tank of juice and your 4-cylinder turbocharged hitec screamer and go as fast as you can to win. These figures are targets, averages based on the estimated consumption of those screamers at different revs and throttle openings, set by the FIA or the Ecclestone organisation. Anyone who can stretch the envelope is welcome to try.

That's the way it looks to me from here. Not all bad surely? Kowtowing of course to green opinion, but some room there for sporting and technical competition. One would hope so anyway.

F1 proposed 'major' changes for 2013 - Westpig
I read the % at full throttle thing to mean how the car's handle in comparison to the design layout of the track

For example, a very good handling car with excellent aerodynamics will be able to go around many/most/all corners flat out. If you tweak the aerodynamics of the car i.e. smaller front wings, then they won't handle as well, therefore can't automatically go around the corner flat out, therefore give the driver more to do, allow the chap behind to keep up more through the corner...and slipstream you down the straight, therefore providing more overtaking.. and thereby, entertainment.

F1 proposed 'major' changes for 2013 - Pat
en.espnf1.com/ferrari/motorsport/story/37280.html?CMP=OTC-RSS

Apologies if the above link has already been posted.
I don't follow this thread but thought in may be of interest to some of you

Pat

Coulthard to replace Legard as Brundles sidekick - VxFan

news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9355081.stm

IIRC, Coulthard had a stint at commentating before and was as dull as ditchwater.

zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Coulthard to replace Legard as Brundles sidekick - Stuu
Anthony Davidson is pretty good, they missed a trick with him. He does the practice commentry online, very informative but funny too.

F1 in HD this season and EJ as main analyst. - henry k
news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9359509.stm

F1 in HD this season and EJ as main analyst. - Zero
Yeah we had some of the feed in HD in the last race of the season, tho it was unannounced.

There was some stuttering problems with some of the feeds, clearly (to my eye) an uplink or compression issue as it was high speed panning shots.

F1 in HD this season and EJ as main analyst. - BiggerBadderDave
"There was some stuttering problems"

Should go well with EJ's blathering, rambling drivel.

F1 in HD this season and EJ as main analyst. - smokie
Overall a good announcement.

"David Coulthard's move to the commentary box alongside Martin Brundle sees Eddie Jordan become main analyst."

Brundle and Coulthard will be good, they bring real insight. I hope Brundle will still do his pit walk - it's often more entertaining than the race - but implication is he mightn't (Coulthard remaining an analyst with Eddie then scooting up to the commentary box for race start).

Not so sure about Eddie, always strikes me as a bit of a (rather sweaty, on occasions) clown, despite his long history in the spot. "It's fantastic that Eddie is rejoining the team" - did he leave?

2011 Ferrari F150 - looks naked below waist - John H
new Ferrari looks like they decided not to cover its bottom:
www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/ferrari_f150_1680_8.jpg

more pics
www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2011/01/28/2011-ferrari-f150-and-2010-ferrari-f10-side-by-side/

2011 Ferrari F150 - looks naked below waist - Zero
>> more pics
>> www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2011/01/28/2011-ferrari-f150-and-2010-ferrari-f10-side-by-side/

That front suspension looks radically different.

2011 Ferrari F150 - looks naked below waist - John H
It is the rear where some new tricks have been employed
www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/andrewbenson/2011/01/ferrari_feel_pressure_to_unsea.html
"But the detail hides some significant changes - and some surprising revelations.
Chief among these is the decision to retain push-rod rear suspension
f1-dictionary.110mb.com/pushrod_pullrod.html ,
rather than the pull-rod that has been used by Red Bull since 2009 and which is expected to feature on the majority of the grid in 2011."
"My sources in Italy tell me that instead they have come up with a clever repackaging of the dampers, bringing them forward in the car. This allows them to have a much lower back to the gearbox without the penalties inherent in a pull-rod design, which is very difficult to work on - the mechanics have to take the floor off to adjust the dampers."

Last edited by: John H on Sun 30 Jan 11 at 18:04

Extra buttons - Hard Cheese

I would have thought that one Button as a team mate was enough!

www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89298

Extra buttons - rtj70
They should go back to manual gearboxes too.

Extra buttons - lancara
"...Bit by bit, part by part, McLaren unveiled their 2011 car on the streets of Berlin on Friday. Aided by title sponsors Vodafone, and members of the public carrying components through the streets, the British team assembled the brand-new MP4-26 in the famous Potsdamer Platz in the heart of the German capital..."

Why Berlin? Could have done it in Liverpool;>)

Extra buttons - Tooslow
But then "members of the public carrying components through the streets" may have been heading in the wrong direction (cough!).
John

Extra buttons - hobby
Now, now, this isn't Top Gear, you know, we have to respect our fellow humans!

Even if they do have a certain reputation...
Last edited by: hobby on Sat 5 Feb 11 at 09:54

Robert Kubica has suffered "serious injuries" - henry k
Robert Kubica has suffered "serious injuries" while taking part in a rally in Italy.

news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9388940.stm

Robert Kubica has suffered "serious injuries" - PR
It looks pretty bad. According to Ansa the doctors had to stabilise "multiple traumas" and his condition is "serious". Lets all hope he makes a full recovery..

www.ansa.it/web/notizie/rubriche/altrisport/2011/02/06/visualizza_new.html_1611519694.html

Robert Kubica has suffered "serious injuries" - henry k
The BBC report has been updated since my earlier posting.

".....said the driver was conscious, with a statement due later after further medical checks.

...his injuries are not thought to be life-threatening,"

Robert Kubica has suffered "serious injuries" - BiggerBadderDave
This is big news in Poland, it's the first time I've switched the telly on and not seen images of the president's plane crash.

My wife is out at the moment so I can't confirm my dreadful Polish but it sounds like they're talking about amputating his arms.

Robert Kubica has suffered "serious injuries" - rtj70
The BNC says multiple fractures to right arm, leg and hand. And he's being operated on. Might not race again because of pins in and arm from and old road crash.

Robert Kubica has suffered "serious injuries" - Dave_
www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_news_item.php?fes_art_id=42906

Latest update from Daniele Morelli, RK's manager.

Robert Kubica has suffered "serious injuries" - BiggerBadderDave
I can't believe he's allowed to participate in dangerous sports out of season. He wouldn't be if I was Renault's team boss, he'd be locked in the gym all winter.

I agree BBD. F1 is dangerous but with the safety of F1's car they are safer than rallying. Hope he makes a good recovery. Just editing the full bit after reading the update linked to above...
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sun 6 Feb 11 at 18:44

Robert Kubica has suffered "serious injuries" - Robin O'Reliant
Very unusual now, unlike years ago when F1 drivers competed in everything from saloon car racing to Le Mans and Indianapolis during non-GP weekends. Jim Clark was killed in a Formula 2 race.

Robert Kubica has suffered "serious injuries" - PR
The latest from Italy (from ANSA) is that he had a 7 hour operation on his hand, and the doctors are moderately satisfied. The circulation has been restored to his hand, and in the next few days they will know if full functionality has been restored, though they are hopeful it will. (My Italian is nt perfect but this is the gist)

I think his problem is that that hand was badly smashed up in a road accident in 2003. It was pinned back together with titanium pins. Now it's badly damaged again although blood supply was eventually restored.

The fact it took so long to restore blood hints at how badly smashed up it might be again. Lets hope he regains use of the hand. I doubt he races competitively in F1 again but what do I know.

Robert Kubica has suffered "serious injuries" - VxFan
>> I can't believe he's allowed to participate in dangerous sports out of season.

Didn't stop Mark Webber breaking his leg a couple of seasons ago while doing a charity cycle ride.

Robert Kubica has suffered "serious injuries" - hobby
Think there's been a few breaks skiiing as well over the years...

Robert Kubica has suffered "serious injuries" - Hard Cheese

>> I can't believe he's allowed to participate in dangerous sports out of season. >>

I seem to recall that there had been some dispute over him competing in a non Renault though no suggestion that he should not compete at all.

Robert Kubica has suffered "serious injuries" - Tooslow
I understood that there is no Renault team this year. One of the Lotus teams will be using a Renault engine. If they win (!) then you'll hear "God Save the Queen" played.
John

Robert Kubica has suffered "serious injuries" - Old Navy
>> I understood that there is no Renault team this year. One of the Lotus teams
>> will be using a Renault engine. If they win (!) then you'll hear "God Save
>> the Queen" played.
>> John
>>

Isn't Lotus owned by Proton? Malaysian national anthem?
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 7 Feb 11 at 09:15

Robert Kubica has suffered "serious injuries" - Tooslow
Which Lotus? :-)
See www.lotusrenaultgp.com/

John
Last edited by: Tooslow on Mon 7 Feb 11 at 09:20

Robert Kubica has suffered "serious injuries" - Hard Cheese
The Renault team were bought last year by Genii Capital, they continue to use Renault engines and technology and this year they will race as Lotus Renault with sponsorship from Proton who own Lotus. They are also now registered as a UK based team to reflect where the team is based, previously as a French owned team the were registered as French despite being based in the UK.

Team Lotus are also using Renault engines this year and are owned by Tony Fernandez who runs Air Asia and bought the rights to the Team Lotus name from the late James Hunt's brother David. Team Lotus are registered as Maslaysian despite being UK based.

There is a dispute between Proton and Tony Fernandez over the use of the Team Lotus name that is due to go to court.

Last edited by: Cheddar on Mon 7 Feb 11 at 09:41

Latest Forum Posts