Motoring Discussion > Tee Hee!!! Caught on speed camera Miscellaneous
Thread Author: PhilW Replies: 14

Tee Hee!!! Caught on speed camera - PhilW
Got a NIP for speeding in a village the other day. Had delivered car to a guy and he gave me a lift to bus stop. Was pretty sure that I was not driving at the time of offence. Wrote a very polite letter explaining such and also pointing out that they had not specified which of 2 cameras in village nicked the driver and also which direction car was going - asked for photogaphic evidence because I was not registered keeper and not certain I was driver..
Got a reply yesterday - photos plus snotty letter threatening me with all sorts of fines, endorsements, disqualification if, as registered keeper (I'm definitely not) or driver (not sure), I didn't identify the driver.
Examined the photos, not much help in identifying driver (photo of back of car). Again camera and direction of travel not specified. So, onto Google Earth, Streetview, and viaMichelin maps to clarify those 2 points and eventually decided that I probably was not the driver - had already been dropped at bus stop .......I think, but how would I prove it?.

Looked at photos again and there's me! Yep that fine figure of a man (!) standing at the bus stop is yours truly!! Thank goodness for photographic evidence!!
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 27 Mar 10 at 11:48
 Tee Hee!!! Caught on speed camera - Bill Payer
>> plus snotty letter threatening me with all sorts of
>> fines endorsements disqualification if as registered keeper (I'm definitely not)

They shouldn't threaten you anyway, they should go back to the RK.
 Tee Hee!!! Caught on speed camera - Bromptonaut
So the guy you delivered to tried to finger you for the offence?
 Tee Hee!!! Caught on speed camera - Iffy
...So the guy you delivered to tried to finger you for the offence?...

Yes, as Phil is not the registered keeper, I was wondering how the NIP landed on his doormat.

Presumably the registered keeper knew Phil was delivering the car.
Yep, NIP must have gone to him first, then my company then me. And since he lives just down the road in the village and must be familiar with the cameras, and had originally asked me to deliver to another place the opposite direction from the cameras before giving me directions to his house, he must have known that I would not have driven past the cameras.
I guess both he and the Camera Processing Unit (how do you process a camera?) assumed that I would say "Oh dear, got caught, better pay up"
Wonder why they don't specify the camera or direction of travel?
First time I have used Streetview except for being nosey! Could get a picture giving exactly same view as camera - thanks Google!
By the way Bromptonaut. Seem to remember you are a Berlingo fan. I have just sold my Berlingo (06 plate) and have a pair of headlamp protectors, also with 2 sets of headlamp deflector tape for driving on the continent. I think they cost about £40 when new - are they of any interest to you? Any reasonable offer!! Otherwise looks like a venture on to fleabay.
Phil
 Tee Hee!!! Caught on speed camera - Badwolf
Phil, your bus ticket (if you still have it) would also prove that were not driving the car at the time of the alleged offence, though if you have photographic proof that you were by the bus stop then I doubt you'll need that.

Isn't it great to feel that you've 'beaten' the system? :-)
 Tee Hee!!! Caught on speed camera - R.P.
Some buses even in the country have CCTV - you could ask for subject access for that time and day.
...your bus ticket (if you still have it) would also prove that were not driving the car at the time of the alleged offence...

Minor point, but it won't because if Phil is on the speed camera pic at the bus stop, he was yet to buy his ticket when the offence was carried out.

A bus ticket issued within a few minutes would lend general support to Phil's account of having delivered the car shortly before it's next user shot past the speed camera.
 Tee Hee!!! Caught on speed camera - Badwolf
That's kind of what I was trying to say, IIH. But you said it far better than me! :-)
Last edited by: Pugugly on Sun 28 Mar 10 at 12:55
 Tee Hee!!! Caught on speed camera - Zero
>Minor point, but it won't because if Phil is on the speed camera pic at the bus stop, he was yet to buy his ticket when the offence was carried out.

I say Holmes, no wonder they call you the big dick of Baker St,

Tee Hee!!! Caught on speed camera - zookeeper
what does it matter about bus tickets, he was at the bus stop at the time of the offence, he cant be in two places at once...or can he?
...what does it matter about bus tickets...

Ultimately, it doesn't.

It's just there's no harm for Phil to have a few blocks to build his defence case.

There can't be many people who drop off a car at a place they never go to 10 minutes before the next person drives it at excessive speed.

The explanation, I believe, is that Phil delivers cars for a living, so no harm in proving that.

The bus ticket is good support for his contention that he had dropped the car off earlier and was making his way home by other means when the offence happened.

After all, I doubt the photo of him at the bus stop is 100 per cent clear - all these things are open to interpretation.

Were I him, I'd also be happy to provide the paperwork for that job, if there is any, or a letter from whoever he delivers cars for confirming that's what he was doing.

Tee Hee!!! Caught on speed camera - Zero
At the end of the day - all he has to say is - "it wasnt me" The Registered keeper cant prove it was and the registered keeper carries the can in any dispute.

And that is the whole problem with this type of speeding legislation. Guilt and punishment by default in the face of lack of evidence should never be allowed.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 28 Mar 10 at 14:36
Yes, I have the bus ticket and also the paperwork for the job giving collection/delivery address etc. Also have record on my Blackberry of details of the job and the message I sent back to HQ to say I had delivered the car (about 3 mins after speeding offence committed). Another thing that occurred to me is that I always put trade plates in car (whether it has tax on car or not) and no trade plate shows on photo.
Think I should be OK............
Thanks for support
Phil
Latest Forum Posts