Non-motoring > Bargains Thread - Volume 24   [Read only]
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 109

Bargains Thread - Volume 24 - R.P.

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 25 *****

=============================================================

Bargains spotted

Post links in here of any offers/bargains that you come across. Need not be motoring but motoring related is of course welcome.

PLEASE NOTE:-

To try and maintain some kind of logical order of discussion, if you start a new subject then reply to this post and remember to change the default subject header.

Volume 23 can be found HERE

Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 25 Jan 22 at 10:53

Subway loyalty card - bathtub tom
Discovered points on this entitle you to a free coffee, at any Subway. So I now don't claim until I'm at a motorway service area and thus avoid paying £3 for a cup.
 Emma Chissit - Duncan
My understanding of the Emma Chissit story is that a well known author was doing a book signing. A lady handed him the book and said "Emma Chissit", so the author duly signed on the fly leaf "To Emma Chissit with best wishes from Famous Author".

The punter said 'Nah, nah, not Emma Chissit, - EMM ER CHISS IT. Then the penny dropped, the customer was of an Antipodean persuasion and that was how she enunciated the phrase "How Much Is It?"

Pravha beer - sooty123
Nice beer, 660ml bottles are 99p in home bargains.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Fri 1 Nov 19 at 20:17

McDonalds 99p Big Mac offer. 5th Nov only - VxFan
Offer comprises of one £0.99p Big Mac® per Eligible Customer only when ordered via the "Deals" section of the My McDonald's app

Full details here:-

www.mcdonalds.com/gb/en-gb/terms-and-conditions/app-99p-big-mac-promotion.html

They will also give away free fries via the app on November 22 in the second deal of the month.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 5 Nov 19 at 11:04

McDonalds 99p Big Mac offer. 5th Nov only - smokie
Visit MaccyD's twice in one month? That's more often than I go there in a year!! :-)

McDonalds 99p Big Mac offer. 5th Nov only - VxFan
Well to be honest, the last time I used a McDonalds was back in 2009 or 2010. I went to the Astra-J launch at Millbrook Proving Grounds in Bedfordshire, courtesy of HJ. Stopped off at a Maccy on the way back home because the food served up at the event wouldn't have filled a gnat's belly.

Thought the offer might be useful for someone though.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 5 Nov 19 at 12:49

McDonalds 99p Big Mac offer. 5th Nov only - Zero
Nowt wrong with the occasional Maccy D, meets all the requirements for a road trip lunch, Sweet, filling, loaded with carbs, convenient, toilets, and leave with your drink after you have been entertained watching the great unwashed of our lovely country.

Usually on a train chasing film trip.

McDonalds 99p Big Mac offer. 5th Nov only - No FM2R
Love McDonalds. And Burger King. And Karls Jnr. And Wendy's etc. etc.

Rarely have more than one a week, rarely have less.

McDonalds 99p Big Mac offer. 5th Nov only - Crankcase
We had a McDonald's once. It was in Estonia. Didn't think much of it, but I may well, as ever, be in the minority.

You lot were talking about fish and chips the other day. Mrs C has never had fish and chips.

The nearest we got was when were on holiday once, perhaps thirty years ago, with her parents and her sister. I suggested fish and chips one night. They all kind of thought long and hard, then said ok.

When we got to the carpark, nobody got out of the car, then one of them said "I don't think I'd like fish and chips". They all agreed so we went home again. To the best of my knowledge, none of them ever tried them.

My father in law, now dead, bless him, never tried curry. Or pizza.

Mrs C's uncle, also no longer with us, was a man of very strict habit, to the extent that he bought EXACTLY the same products from the same place once a week, and had EXACTLY the same meal weekly. So on a Tuesday evening he knew he was having two fishfingers and a small piece of white bread, or whatever it was. Made it very simple. He had no headspace for food, preparing it, or probably even enjoying it.

He and my father in law were brought up as (Closed) Plymouth Brethren though, which probably explains a lot.

I'm having fish and chips tonight, though it's a Waitrose pre-prepared thing. I shall enjoy them though.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Tue 5 Nov 19 at 14:25

McDonalds 99p Big Mac offer. 5th Nov only - henry k
>>I'm having fish and chips tonight, though it's a Waitrose pre-prepared thing.
>> I shall enjoy them though.

It is fish n chips for me too but fresh from the chipee.
This week, my regular, well every six months, lunch with old friends from my last company.
It will be just a visit to spoons but will be a chance to see who is still around.
I have no wish to have lunch on my own so it is a real treat.

McDonalds, it must be ten years of more since I tried one.
I have no wish to try another one.

McDonalds 99p Big Mac offer. 5th Nov only - Manatee
Main problem in my experience is that, with the obvious exception of the hazardous "apple pie", McDonalds food is frequently cold and never properly hot.

We use them on road trips - predictable and preferable for a 20 minute 'refuel' to most other readily available options.

Fish and chips as they should be, and when one is hungry, are just about unbeatable. We each had a fish in a bread cake back in May from the chippy in Avoch on the Black Isle (take-away only). It was so good, after eating it in the car (rain-lashed evening) I had to go back and tell them.

McDonalds 99p Big Mac offer. 5th Nov only - Zero
>> Main problem in my experience is that, with the obvious exception of the hazardous "apple
>> pie", McDonalds food is frequently cold and never properly hot.

Ah the answer there is to order a special one. Say no onions, or no pickle, just leave one small item out.

It gets cooked to order and arrives hot.

The apple pie has however, because of health and safety, been cooled down quite a bit. Can be sucked out of its cardboard tube almost as soon as you get it, with no trip trip to casualty required.

McDonalds 99p Big Mac offer. 5th Nov only - BiggerBadderDave
A McDonalds is like extramarital sex. Fantastic, wonderful, yummy, tasty and juicy while you're having it.

Before you've finished wiping your lips it's regret, remorse, shouldn't've done it, I'll never do it again and feeling fat.

A couple of days later you're craving it again.

I knew it - we are blessed with experts in everything here, even extra martial sex!! :-)

McDonalds 99p Big Mac offer. 5th Nov only - tyrednemotional
>> ........ even extra martial sex!! :-)
>>

.....a good night out with two WRACs......?

hahaha oops!

The Thunderer (Times) £3 for 3 mths - smokie
Cheap for a quality newspaper, but only the digital edition (includes Sundays)

www.thetimes.co.uk/checkout?pc=ONS3FOR3NOV19

(Thanks to Duncan for corrected URL)

Remember to cancel it in time though!! ("After 3 months, a payment of £26.00 will be taken on the 11th of the month thereafter, unless you cancel by contacting our Customer Services team 15 days before the end of your minimum term.")
Last edited by: smokie on Mon 11 Nov 19 at 17:42

The Thunderer (Times) £3 for 3 mths - CGNorwich
Actually £26 a month is not too bad at all . I still like to buy the the print version from time to time but handy to always have access to the online version.

The Thunderer (Times) £3 for 3 mths - Duncan
I pay £30 ish a month for the Torygraph, paper and digital. I cancelled a while back, the Telegraph phoned and pleaded with me to come back, they reduced the price, against my better judgement I accepted.

I still think it has gone downhill bigtime. It's 'er indoors, you know, as wants it! Not me.

The Thunderer (Times) £3 for 3 mths - Manatee
>> I pay £30 ish a month for the Torygraph, paper and digital.

That's well below the going rate for 7 days. I canned it years ago when it went up to £400 a year, because it was utter rubbish then. Currently it's £11.50/week, about £600 a year.

>>Currently it's £11.50/week, about £600 a year.

Have they got contact details for you? If they have, I think you will find that if you cancel, they will be on the phone offering a reduced price if you come back. I just stopped our standing order (direct debit?) and they came running.

Having said that, I would still cancel tomorrow if Lady Duncan would let me.

I get the 'i' now. Unvarnished and brief for the most part. I bought a Sunday Telegraph this weekend for an article somebody asked me to read, first one for years.

The Thunderer (Times) £3 for 3 mths - No FM2R
I would happily pay that if they could get the damn thing here within a week or so of printing it.

Anything up to 3 months just renders the whole thing pointless.

I'd love to go back to the world of printed papers. I used to know a couple of BA Crew that would bring them in for me sporadically, but sadly no longer.

The Thunderer (Times) £3 for 3 mths - Robin O'Reliant
The big advantage of working in a newsagents is you get to read the lot for free. I used to be a Telegraph reader but I wouldn't touch it now as I think it has gone down the pan. Apart from the physical size if it and the miles of weekend supplements that would head straight to the recycling bin. If I had to buy now it would be the Times.

Talking of recycling, we have a new regime here. Blue box for paper, blue bag for cardboard, red bag for non recyclable containers, green box for bottles, and a green box for food waste, all reusable and collected weekly then a grey sack for general rubbish picked up every three weeks.

And they go through them too, removing anything that shouldn't be there and leaving them outside the house. Mrs O'Reliant got a foil peanut wrapper handed back to her this morning when she was outside as they picked it up.

Bin day is a nightmare.

Just a couple of off topic things around recycling;

Recycling is not virtuous. It is a measure of our failure.

1) Reduce

Just don't make/use the damn stuff in the first place. This is true success.

2) Reuse

If you have to make it, then reuse it as much as you can. This at least minimises the impact of our shortcomings in 1).

3) Recycle

Well, we've failed to reduce, failed to reuse, so all we have left is recycle. Ironically the stuff we recycle the most is actually the stuff that does the least harm in the ground.

4) Bury.

Utter failure.

The Thunderer (Times) £3 for 3 mths - CGNorwich
You have forgotten

5) Dump in lay-by on A127

>> You have forgotten
>>
>> 5) Dump in lay-by on A127
>>

Sad but true.

I can't quite work out when in British society being a lowlife scumbag became socially acceptable.

The Thunderer (Times) £3 for 3 mths - Runfer D'Hills
I've never done that. I mean, a pee is ok if you're desperate...
;-)

The Thunderer (Times) £3 for 3 mths - Zero
>> I can't quite work out when in British society being a lowlife scumbag became socially
>> acceptable.

With respect to littering, we have, as a society in the uk, always been filthy.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 13 Nov 19 at 02:01

>> Utter failure.
>>

Just two steps are required. But step one is vital and rarely happens.

1 Design & make to recycle or reuse.

2. collect Reuse or recycle

The Thunderer (Times) £3 for 3 mths - Crankcase
The exciting local controversy is that Amey Cespa, our waste collection people, want to build an mahoosive incinerator just up the road, a couple of villages away.

Amey say "all lovely and clean, no pollution, we're gonna burn your suitable rubbish, and there'll be enough electricity generated for tens of thousands of homes."

Waterbeach residents all say "no chance, that thing is going to be a lot taller than Ely Cathedral, look ghastly and of course it will kill everyone in a fifty mile radius".

It's bouncing about with the planners- rejected once, now in appeal. To be decided by a schoolboy-ish looking Government Minister (who may or may not know his onions, I don't know anything about him).

Personally I think it's a good idea, but then I don't live in the village of the doomed.

www.cambridgeindependent.co.uk/news/westminster-to-have-final-say-on-controversial-waterbeach-incinerator-plans-9087147/

Incidentally, out of that I only just noticed the below. That passed me by until now.

www.showhouse.co.uk/news/gas-supplies-could-be-banned-in-new-homes-by-2025/

Last edited by: Crankcase on Tue 12 Nov 19 at 18:09

The Thunderer (Times) £3 for 3 mths - commerdriver
>> To be decided by
>> a schoolboy-ish looking Government Minister (who may or may not know his onions, I don't
>> know anything about him).
>>
Of course, in the old days with a truly independent, experienced civil service he could count on solid advice from the relevant civil servants to counter his youth and relative lack of knowledge about his brief.

>> Incidentally, out of that I only just noticed the below. That passed me by until
>> now.
>>
>>
>> www.showhouse.co.uk/news/gas-supplies-could-be-banned-in-new-homes-by-2025/

That's been giving me cause to think this last couple of weeks.

We're building a house to replace the one that caught fire. If they aren't going to be building houses with gas boilers in 5 years time, why would we build one now? I'm thinking air-source heat pump.

On the other hand, the designer/frame supplier is saying that the received wisdom is to use gas if it's there. It is, we had gas CH in the old house. You need to put about a kWh of electricity into a heat pump to get 3kWh of heat out. So at 15p a unit, about 5p per kWh of heat. Gas is still under 4p/kWh so still as cheap as a heat pump. Heat pump costs £6k, gas boiler costs £1k.

I'm drowning in decisions. Everything has moved on. Lights aren't simple, we will have mechanical ventilation with heat recovery, we'd like to put some solar thermal in but we don't really want to despoil the SW-facing front of the roof, are bi-folds better than sliding doors/french doors, should we attic the roof which would mean a full fireproof staircase...etc etc.

Maybe I should get design tips from the brains trust here.

The Thunderer (Times) £3 for 3 mths - tyrednemotional
>>
>> Maybe I should get design tips from the brains trust here.
>>

...you must be more deluded than I thought......

;-)

It is simple, really. The 5 year gas boiler thing is a red herring, its a goal, a wish, one that will shift.

So cut out all the hype, all the maybe's, all the future technology*, you go with today. Today is highly insulated property, maybe some minor hot air recovery, high efficiency gas boiler for central heating, highly insulated hot water store. Maybe plan property elevation/roof for solar panels. LED lighting systems are a given. That way you get to concentrate on the important liveability factors.

And of course its architecture - Its going to be around for a hundred years, it needs to age gracefully and not jar on the eye.

*It costs, its expensive now, and with lowish efficiency, poor installation practices now (both bound to improve) Capex will need to be recovered over a longer period of time. Applies to air source and ground source heat recovery.

It had occurred to me that the tech will improve for air source. The house will be low permeability, well insulated and require relatively little heating. The ventilation system is a definite yes, hence the good sealing (trickle vents not needed). I'm looking at the cost and effectiveness of strapping some air conditioning on to it.

We'll use underfloor heating and I intended to see to what extent the gas boiler installation can be optimised for conversion to air source at a later date (possibly by somebody else).

The planning requirements plus plot orientation make the roof difficult unless we just stick the solar on the front somewhere. Planning also means it will be a fairly conventional looking house in brick with clay tile or slate roof.

The Thunderer (Times) £3 for 3 mths - Kevin
Don't forget to allow/plan for aircon installation. Retrofitting later can be messy and unsightly.

The Thunderer (Times) £3 for 3 mths - Kevin
The cost of aircon units is quite reasonable and all units now provide heating via in-built heat pumps.

>> Don't forget to allow/plan for aircon installation. Retrofitting later can be messy and unsightly.

Yer, clearly this country is heading for a two season climate, both of them more extreme than our current (probably now even past) temperate climate.

The need to cool/evaporate externally means that air con can never really be unsightly in domestic situations.

Manatee

There is a good and knowledgeable set of people on these forums for renewable energy and the like.

www.navitron.org.uk/forum/index.php

>> www.navitron.org.uk/forum/index.php

Quote "Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever". End quote.

Why is Yahoo 'improper'?

As they say, because it's disposable. You can set up numerous email accounts on those platforms without any significant proof of who you are, use them to spam and then just abandon them. Whereas if you use your ISP-defined email address that's not so easy.

But isn't the other side of that coin the fact that you are tied to BT, or whatever? My gmail account I can take from provider to provider?

The Thunderer (Times) £3 for 3 mths - sooty123
That's pretty odd I'm sure lots of people use disposable email accounts. I'm not sure what my internet provider supplied email address even is.

The Thunderer (Times) £3 for 3 mths - Bromptonaut
>> That's pretty odd I'm sure lots of people use disposable email accounts. I'm not sure
>> what my internet provider supplied email address even is.

I think I have option of a plusnet email address but my previous ISP, Demon, withdrew facility or rather required me to pay for a domain to retain them.

One of the requisites to claim Universal Credit is an email address. Quite a bit of discussion amongst advisers as to which is simplest to set up for people who don't have organised lifestyles......

Last edited by: sooty123 on Wed 13 Nov 19 at 09:19

Last edited by: sooty123 on Wed 13 Nov 19 at 09:19

Jittery fingers this morning?
Last edited by: No FM2R on Wed 13 Nov 19 at 09:20

More like a dodgy mobile signal.

I dont think my primary GMAIL real address has ever been blocked or bounced, but my Smokie, Sooty, NOFMR, Duncan etc accounts I use to post on here are sometimes.

Get a lot of spam into my POTUS@Whitehouse.gov address tho

You wouldn't be the first person to use two or three accounts to chat/argue with themselves on here.

The Thunderer (Times) £3 for 3 mths - VxFan
The majority of spammers who have tried targeting C4P have used gmail to register an account here. Probably well over 80%
2nd is yahoo (10%), then Hotmail (<5%) approx.
Fortunately, we also have other mechanisms in place, as well as a trained eye.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 13 Nov 19 at 10:44

I think you can't open a Hotmail account anymore which is probably why that's so low.

>> I think you can't open a Hotmail account anymore which is probably why that's so
>> low.

But we can open new Outlook accounts, tho you have to be careful not to have it linked to your windows 10 system/user id

>> You wouldn't be the first person to use two or three accounts to chat/argue with
>> themselves on here.

We know, you dont need to tell us.

Thanks smokie, I've attempted to register with my gmail address which suffices for lots of serious use so I'll see what happens. I have a TalkTalk address but I'd have to look it up.

I'm not surprised they have security problems, their acknowledgement email shows my password en clair (albeit not quite what I entered).

IPhone XR 64gb £329 - zippy
On O2 Refresh.

Buy the phone and air plan separately. Cancel the air plan right away and pay for the phone. This is allowed under the rules of the O2 Refresh plan.

IPhone XR 64gb £329 - Bromptonaut
Existing and upgrading 02 customers only?

>> Existing and upgrading 02 customers only?
>>
>>

No, open for all. I am not an O2 customer and just brought one for Mrs Z.

IPhone XR 64gb £329 - Manatee
Why would you do that? Is the phone cheap?

I bought my last phone from giffgaff, they were the cheapest source at the time without risking a grey market job.

IPhone XR 64gb £329 - legacylad
I’m looking at upgrading my 5S to an XR, and going to check out buying outright vs a contract plan. I’d need more than 64GB though.

IPhone XR 64gb £329 - smokie
I have had a Pocophone F1 for a couple of months now - £279 today. 128Gb internal plus an SD card slot (plus headphone jack). The only semi significant feature missing is NFC which means you can't use it to pay with but I only did that infrequently anyway. I've had no problem with it . (I mislaid it the other day and after I'd put a new front screen message on it remotely, Google maps told me I'd left it in Tesco's)

www.amazon.co.uk/Xiaomi-Pocophone-128GB-Graphite-Black/dp/B07GXPDNY7

IPhone XR 64gb £329 - Ambo
I've not had a smartphone up to now but have my eye on a Xiao mi redmi Note7, 4gb/64gb this Black Friday, from the likes of Amazon. I want pay-as-you-go and to use Vodaphone. Do smart phones come with a decent set of instructions so I can set it up myself? (I have tried online manuals for other devices and never ben able to get a legible text). This and any other hints welcomed by this beginner.

(subject header corrected, as this has nothing to do with Wilkinson Sword razors, and also tagged onto the correct part of the discussion)
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 23 Nov 19 at 21:11

IPhone XR 64gb £329 - CGNorwich
Just follow the phone’s on screen instructions when you switch it on Ambo. If in doubt any grandchild nephew or niece will be able to sort it.

IPhone XR 64gb £329 - Ambo
Thanks, that's very reassuring!

IPhone XR 64gb £329 - smokie
He's right. You might need details of your email provider to get that going but other than that it should be a cinch.

2 Xiaomi phones and a couple of other devices in this house and they are all fine.

EDIT you may find a Google mail account helpful if you've not already got one. They are free.

>> Why would you do that? Is the phone cheap?
>>
>> I bought my last phone from giffgaff, they were the cheapest source at the time
>> without risking a grey market job.
>>

The phone is half price and from a major UK based operator. It is certainly not a grey market phone!

IPhone XR 64gb £329 - Bobby
Zippy have you got a link to this deal?
Can’t see it on the o2 site

It was here:...

www.hotukdeals.com/deals/iphone-xr-64gb-o2-shop-refresh-deal-3336730

Unfortunately it seems to have expired.

Wilkinson Sword Hydro 5 Razors - Kevin
Amazon have a Wilkinson Sword Hydro 5 razor with 13 blades on offer for £16.22 from midnight.

Flor de Sevilla gin. - Roger.
£18 at Amazon. Bought 3!

Pepsi max & Diet Pepsi. £5 at Tesco - VxFan
I can't remember who was asking before, but Tesco have a 24 can pack of Pepsi max & Diet Pepsi on offer for £5 until Tues the 10th Dec. Discounted down from £8.

Slightly annoying as it was previously discounted down to £6 the last couple of weeks. I should have waited another week.

Pepsi max & Diet Pepsi. £5 at Tesco - Crankcase
Not completely averse to Pepsi Max, so thought I'd go mad and try the cheapest cola I could find as a comparison.

It's pretty weak, but if you in fact just want a kind of cola flavoured drink sometimes, then actually it's pretty palatable. I've drunk a bottle anyway.

Morrisons "supersaver" cola. It's a bit cheaper than Pepsi Max, at 17p for two litres...

Bombay Sapphire gin 1 ltr £20 - Clk Sec
On offer at Sainsbury's. Picked one up yesterday.
Last edited by: Clk Sec on Sun 8 Dec 19 at 16:12

Haig Club Clubman Whisky 700Ml £15 - zippy
Down from £25 at Tesco.

No idea if its any good but it's quite a saving.

Haig Club Clubman Whisky 700Ml £15 - RichardW
Not tried it, but one of my colleagues had a bottle, and said it was grim....

Haig Club Clubman Whisky 700Ml £15 - CGNorwich
I wouldn’t day it’s grim but it may not appeal to Traditional whiskey drinkers and not really aimed at them . More aimed at a younger market hence its trendy bottle and marketed as a party drink and ideal for cocktails and mixing with Coca Cola.

Haig Club Clubman Whisky 700Ml £15 - Manatee
Not dissimilar to Monkey Shoulder (vatted malt) I have been told - nothing to dislike. Toffee/vanilla sort of thing. Described as single grain which seems to mean it isn't necessarily all malt.

Perhaps if it's intended for drinking with cola there's no reason to expect much from it unmixed, although personally I don't see the point in mixing cola with anything.

Haig Club Clubman Whisky 700Ml £15 - CGNorwich
I looked up the difference between single grain and single malt.

www.google.co.uk/amp/s/thewhiskeywash.com/whiskey-styles/scotch-whiskey/single-malt-single-grain-whisky/amp/

Haig Club Clubman Whisky 700Ml £15 - Duncan
Mr Grumpy here

Scotch whisky is Scotch whisky, it is not Scotch whiskey!

Yours aggressively

Mr Grumpy

Radio Times Subscription Offer - Robin O'Reliant
Go to buysubscriptions.com and use the code RTG5219A to get twelve issues for £1 and then £29.99 every six months thereafter.

Beats paying three quid a week for it.

Radio Times Subscription Offer - CGNorwich
I didn't realise it was still a thing. With TV program details in the paper and on the internet surprised there's still a demand.

Radio Times Subscription Offer - Duncan

>> Beats paying three quid a week for it.
>>

Best value is not buying it.

Free 500ml bottle of Coca-cola/Diet Coke/Coke Zero - VxFan
Offer on from 21/09/20 until 23:59 10/10/20

thiscokeisonus.com/

See thiscokeisonus.com/terms for full details
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 28 Sep 20 at 19:41

Free Smart Watch (you only pay for P&P) - VxFan
Probably a load of carp, but here is the offer anyway. Price is usually £55.99

directdropship.co.uk/collections/freebies/products/ip67-smart-watch-track-movement-waterproof-heart-rate-monitor-blood-pressure-monitoring

I filled in the boxes to see what the P&P would cost, which is £4.99

Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 26 Oct 20 at 13:14

Free Smart Watch (you only pay for P&P) - henry k
>>Probably a load of carp,
I recently asked my son re these type of offerings.
He would not go near them.
" Look at what the big boys have to offer !"

I have two expensive wrist BP monitors and they work on the inside of the wrist
All the pulse oximeters work on the fingertip. I have a cheap and an expensive one.
Some of the above are supplied to me FOC for research reasons.

Free Smart Watch (you only pay for P&P) - maltrap
The phrase that comes to mind is :- "If somethimg seems too good to be true, it probably is"

Free Smart Watch (you only pay for P&P) - smokie
I've had a couple of these super cheap ones and they were actually pretty accurate compared to more regular forms of measurement.

I also bought a laser thermometer from China for not much and my plumber neighbour was scoffing at it so we compared it to some expensive piece of equipment from his toolbox and it was just as accurate!!

Free Smart Watch (you only pay for P&P) - sooty123
I also bought a laser thermometer from China for not much and my plumber neighbour
>> was scoffing at it so we compared it to some expensive piece of equipment from
>> his toolbox and it was just as accurate!!
>>

For how long though?

Free Smart Watch (you only pay for P&P) - No FM2R
I think with Chinese stuff it is fair to say that you get what you pay for.

Free Smart Watch (you only pay for P&P) - smokie
Dunno Sooty, it's still working but it doesn't get used much. For £5 v. £130 it doesn't need to be that long anyway.

IMO much of the so-called branded stuff of that type of stuff has the same internals.

I once bought a (clearly) fake Rolex from a looky looky man on a beach in Spain. It kep perfect time but the edges were a bit sharp and I found it a heavy thing to wear so it went in the drawer. it was still working and almost dead on time about a year later when I came across it again..

Free Smart Watch (you only pay for P&P) - VxFan
>> I also bought a laser thermometer from China ….

I bought an unbranded digital multi-meter from a market stall several years ago for £3.50 (he originally wanted a fiver, but let me have it cheaper as he'd had a crap day).

It was a tiny little thing, but perfect to throw in the glovebox in case ever needed at the roadside to check a blown fuse, etc.

I took it into work one day and did a bench test against our calibrated Fluke multi-meter. Results were like for like. I don't think I'd ever risk checking mains electric with it though. The test leads and probes were very flimsy. Fine for low voltage applications, which was really what I wanted it for.

Free Smart Watch (you only pay for P&P) - zippy
>>same inside

One of my clients makes a product and brands it to their customers’ specifications.

One customer charged 5x more for the same product than another.

They both have exactly the same component parts, come
off the same production line. Only the label and packaging differs.

Free Smart Watch (you only pay for P&P) - Clk Sec
Dave's previous recommendations are pretty good. A pair of Panasonic 'phones, some free car polish, and an excellent torch - so good, infact, that I bought two.
:-)

Costco Tyres Black Friday Deal - Manatee
Up to £100 off and free fitting on Goodyear.

Just ordered 4 Efficient Grip SUV for the Outlander, total cost fitted a few pence under £280. These are 225/55R18 and the last time I looked it would have cost me nearer £500 for whatever it was they had available and I had decided to push them through the winter as there is probably 3-4mm left. But at that price? Current cost on Blackcircles £475.

Costco tyres - sooty123
If anyone is after some new tyres Costco have some good deals on Primacy 4 tyres, 60 quid off (an already good price) if you buy 4, 30 quid off if you buy 2.

Wetherspoons Reducing Prices By 7.5% - Duncan
Wetherspoons will be reducing prices by 7.5% in their pubs to demonstrate something or the other to do with tax.

www.jdwetherspoon.com/

Well kept beer in Wetherspoons pubs now even better value!

Wetherspoons Reducing Prices By 7.5% - martin aston
For one day to highlight the tax burden on pubs versus food retailers. This might inadvertently highlight that pubs and restaurants are currently benefiting from reduced VAT. Locally the prices charged by our pubs and restaurants have, if anything, gone up.
Are Wetherspoons passing on the reduced VAT meantime in their everyday prices? I genuinely don’t know.

Free 500ml bottle of Coke Zero - VxFan
Or Coke Zero Vanilla, or Coke Zero Cherry.

www.thiscokeisonus.com/sign-up

Offer valid from 09/08/2021 to 23:39 on 29/08/2021

Terms and conditions

www.thiscokeisonus.com/terms
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 13 Aug 21 at 13:37

Bean to cup coffee machine - Manatee
Whether it's a bargain depends on how fussy you are about your coffee, and how lazy you are when it come to making the real kind.

Pre- house-fire, we'd had a bean to cup job for a few years and I have finally replaced it. When I first looked, they all seemed a lot more expensive than the first one and I've been watching the prices.

Just got this

www.delonghi.com/en-gb/ecam22-360-b-magnifica-s-automatic-coffee-maker/p/ECAM22.360.B

£415. Alleged full price £820 which I guess nobody has ever paid.

I'm familiar with the de Longhi machines, our last one had done about 7,000 cups IIRC. I'm not very coffee fussy, lazy enough to like the idea of pressing a button for coffee and I don't find the cleaning too much of a chore.

Just breaking this one in. It does milk, so automatic cappuccinos if you want them. First cappuccinos were frankly a bit watery but I can tweak that - upping the brewing temperature and increasing the strength setting will improve it, and maybe grinding a bit finer. And better milk - we only had skimmed, I prefer something a bit more cowy for coffee.

BBC Good Food Magazine Subscription - martin aston
I bought this as a present for Mrs Aston a few years back and let it renew. Today they wrote to me saying my renewal was going up from £36 to nearly £57 a year due to increased costs.
I cancelled and went online and found that the same company (“buysubscriptions”) are advertising a one year sub deal for £30 or £50 for two years.

It’s good value at these latter prices. I am not impressed by their trying on a huge price increase on our existing deal. However we like the magazine and will take out a new two year sub at an equivalent of £25 a year. This is a good saving over our current cost and a massive one over their renewal offer.

Champion RJ19LM - smokie
Being an EV driver, I wasn't sure if this was a motoring item or a Christmas tree decoration but it's quite well discounted, if anyone needs one.

www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003RJS3HI?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=pepperugc03-21&ascsubtag=2270091430

Champion RJ19LM - Duncan
In my youth I rode motorcycles. I had a Triumph Tiger 90, a 500c.c. single cylinder engine. One Sunday morning to see if I could get it over 85mph. I couldn't, It got into a speed wobble and spat me off. I had no injuries, apart from several wounds in my thigh caused by a spare Champion spark plug which I had in the pocket of my flying jacket.

When my older brother turned up to take me to hospital, he insisted I rode his Vincent Rapide, to hospital with him on the back. "To get your confidence back", he said.
 Champion RJ19LM - Zero
Back in the day I could gap a champion to within 5 thou by eye.

Now I dont even know where the b*****s are let alone change them. (all 6 of them)

Champion RJ19LM - Kevin
Why do it to "within" 5 thou? The thickness of a Park Drive/Woodbine fag packet was as near as dammit spot-on.

Champion RJ19LM - No FM2R
>Back in the day I could gap a champion to within 5 thou by eye.

It either needed a screwdriver jammed in it to open it or a sharp rap on the block or head to close it. The only thing I actually ever use a feeler gauge for was tappets. For anything else, close enough was close enough.

Washington Post subscription 99p - Manatee
99p every 4 weeks or £9.99 for a year for basic or premium subscription. Renewal is £5/£50 or £7£70 in a year's time so diarise cancellation!

Offered on the website.

URAD leather care - Manatee
This one comes round once or twice a year. 20% off until 2/1/22 using code my20

www.uradleathercare.co.uk/

Good stuff. I use mainly the Shoe & Leather Cream, and Mr JoJo (the yellow pot).

Includes the special offers page

www.uradleathercare.co.uk/URAD-Special-Offers
Last edited by: Manatee on Tue 28 Dec 21 at 11:40

Latest Forum Posts