Non-motoring > Multi vitamins Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 11

Multi vitamins - legacylad
My diet is generally, pretty healthy.
No fast food take aways, apart from fish n chips once every 6 months.
No microwave processed foods...I make batches of curry and pasta meals.
Love vegetables...you name it I’ll eat it. Rarely eat red meat these days, much prefer fish
Porridge for breakfast, with a little maple syrup and lots of blueberries...at the moment, in a good hotel, melon, kiwi, bananas, mango, yoghurt, pine nuts and sunflower seeds then croissant with honeycomb sweetener !
Unfortunately my immune system isn’t the best....struggle with coughs and colds, awful sleepless nights with hacking coughs, buckets of snot ( graphic but true)...can last for weeks, and means I labour forcing my body up hills ! Which is the situation at the moment, still ongoing after 3 weeks. Annoying.

Should I try multi vitamins, or are they just a marketing ploy for us old folks ? Certainly no lack of vitamin D the past 6 days.
 Multi vitamins - smokie
I can't advise but if you've had a bad cough for 3 weeks you ought to be seeing the doc.

As we're a similar age (but you are MUCH fitter) I may as well add what I do for vitamins (apart from sunshine when I can!). A banana each day for potassium, two brazil nuts for selenium, and one tablet each of vitamin C and D and a capsule of fish oil. Started it during Covid times and it can't be doing any harm.
 Multi vitamins - CGNorwich
Forcing yourself up hills can’t be doing you any good with a bad cough. Take it easy!7
 Multi vitamins - legacylad
I don’t literally force myself, just go slower. Took me almost 5 hours yesterday, inc a 30 minute lunch break at the top of Pico de la Zarza, to ascend 2900’ and walk 10.6 miles. Normally I’d crack it in 4 hours.
Seeing the doc next week…so much for going t total.
 Multi vitamins - James Loveless
A multi-vit and multi-mineral supplement won't do any harm, but I doubt that is the issue.

As Smokie says, it is standard advice from the NHS to see a GP if your cough hasn't gone after three weeks.

If your immune system is really compromised in some way that is also a medical matter and it might be worth discussing this with a GP. (Recurring infections is certainly worth mentioning.)

It's also standard advice, if anyone wishes to maximise their health, not to smoke, restrict alcohol and maintain proper body weight. Maybe none of that applies to you.
 Multi vitamins - martin aston
I do follow the lifestyle in your last para. Trouble is there is then nothing to give up when I get nurses reviewing my bloods.
 Multi vitamins - Terry
No matter how healthy the diet, it is the intestines which need to absorb all the vitamins, nutrients and trace elements that the body needs.

Surgery impacts, and like other bits of ones anatomy they may deteriorate with age and fail to absorb.

I have a similar problem (surgery) for which the consultant prescribed Forceval capsules. They are multivitamin and trace elements - consultant reckons they are the best - and they seem to work in my case.
 Multi vitamins - Kevin
>No fast food take aways,..No microwave processed foods...Love vegetables...
>..Rarely eat red meat these days..Porridge for breakfast with a little maple
>syrup and lots of blueberries...melon, kiwi, bananas, mango, yoghurt, pine
>nuts and sunflower seeds then croissant with honeycomb sweetener..

No wonder you've got the lurgy. It's your body's way of telling you it needs a bacon sandwich.
 Multi vitamins - Lygonos
I'd want to know why your exercise tolerance has waned.

Heart/lungs/blood MOT would be a starting point.

Might just be.....getting old.
 Multi vitamins - Duncan
Vitamin B, C and D probably. Lygonos is an MD - ask him.
 Multi vitamins - Rudedog
I used to take others but for the past five years I've only taken a high dose fish oil capsule.
 Multi vitamins - Duncan
The NHS says - with regard to vitamins

www.nhs.uk/conditions/vitamins-and-minerals/
Latest Forum Posts