Computer Related > Windows Live Mail...again! Computing Issues
Thread Author: Pat Replies: 10

Windows Live Mail...again! - Pat
Being very aware of my past issues with getting emails while I am away on holiday I decided to check the (different/new) laptop I am taking on Friday.

When I set it up in January I installed Windows Live Mail and assumed that would be the end of my problems, but it appears I was wrong.

I haven't bothered using email on it at all since first setting it up and it appears today that I have all my contacts in there, but that is the end of the good news.

The problems are

1) I expected to be able to log into WLM on the laptop and see all my emails currently kept in the viewing pane on the desktop...I can't.

2) I can send and receive an email sent to myself but when both PC's are on the desktop downloads the email and the laptop doesn't get it at all.

3) I have checked all settings on both and set them to the same so what am I doing wrong?

I really need to be able to access the emails I keep in the viewing pane as they *may* need dealing with when away, and I might need to hit the reply button so why can't I get them on the laptop? I really haven't got much time to mess about with this before we go but I know it has the potential to become a huge problem if I can't get to them and surely when WLM is open on two PC's both should download all messages?

Did I ever mention....I hate email!

Pat
 Windows Live Mail...again! - Zero
it could be that your desktop email is downloading and then deleting the emails on the server.

Are they there on the Talk Talk webmail app?

EDIT

OH, just to make things worse, Talk Talk email wont let you have more than one client logged into the mail server at a time.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 11 Jun 13 at 16:28
Yes they are on Talk Talk, but surely if I lo9g out on the desktop the laptop should show me all the downloaded emails?

Does that mean that while I'm away they will download OK then?

Pat
>> Yes they are on Talk Talk, but surely if I lo9g out on the desktop
>> the laptop should show me all the downloaded emails?
>>
>> Does that mean that while I'm away they will download OK then?
>>
>> Pat

If they are still on the Talk Talk server (and if you can see them on the Talk Talk mail web page they should be), then you should be able to download them to your laptop Email app, BUT it takes a while, sometimes up to 30 minutes for the Talk Talk mail server to accept that the previous session (your desktop) has ended.

And also dont forget you cant use Wifi away from your home to SEND tiscali email using the mail application on your laptop. (Talk Talk / Tiscali wont let you send mail using their server if you are not using your ADSL link. I use the 02 mail server to send when on my phone.
So that's why I can never send emails in a hotel or on holiday...any easy way round it?

Pat
You can use another open smtp server to send mail, but this means changing settings or using multiple mail profiles when away from home.

The easiest way is to use the Talk Talk web portal for mail. If you need them downloaded on your PC, forward them to another email address from the portal.

For example forward them to a GMAIL account, and then use live mail to download them from there.
Think I've got it sorted now, thanks Z;)

Pat
 Windows Live Mail...again! - TeeCee
>> For example forward them to a GMAIL account, and then use live mail
>> to download them from there.
>>

Even better, buy a domain and redirect its mail to a gmail account. That way you're not subject to the vagaries of ISP mail restrictions and don't have to worry about changing email addresses when you change ISP.

Gmail has the useful feature that, once verified, its SMTP servers will accept mail by proxy to be sent as originating from your own address(es) too.

So, while my mail actually lives under name.surname@gmail.com, as far as everywhere else is concerned it's me@mydomain.net. Also means that by tacking on a small fee for multiple redirection with the hoster, the wife's is she@mydomain.net etc.

(I like writing things like this. Gives me an excuse to fill a post with dummy email addresses and drop gravel in the gearboxes of the harvesters.)
 Windows Live Mail...again! - Stuartli
When I set up my Nexus 10 tablet the e-mail Send settings were different to that of a year old HTC One X phone.

It's explained at:

help2.talktalk.co.uk/email/talktalk-email-setup-android-device

when using Android 4.0 upwards, but I still can't get the phone to reply to e-mails even after changing the configuration to match until I actually return home...:-(
 Windows Live Mail...again! - Stuartli
PS

I switched back to Mozilla Thunderbird desktop and laptop wise after a brief spell with Windows Live Mail. PUTA.
Last edited by: Stuartli on Mon 24 Jun 13 at 00:55
 Windows Live Mail...again! - bathtub tom
Should've stuck with G-mail www.pda-uk.org/nuke/modules/Forums/images/avatars/7.jpg

Good grief! Did we have the internet that long ago?
Latest Forum Posts