Introduce Yourself > Can anyone help Caveman Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 33

Can anyone help Caveman - Pat
Good morning all, and thanks Chris for suggesting waiting while I was at work. It was late when I got home last night I am back again at 5am this morning.

First, I would like to answer car4plays post in a bit more depth.

>>1) Exactly, and I agree with you, but since the service is provided free of charge it allows the provider to make their own forum rules and expect people who use it to abide by them. If we don’t want to do that, then the option is not to use the forum, it isn’t to protest and try to change them. I feel that policy applies to ALL free to use internet forums.

>>2) Nothing wrong with that at all providing it complies with the above, but in the case of the BR, it doesn’t. As far as I’m concerned, we ( I) have to accept that.

>>3) Very commendable and one of the reasons for car4plays success. However, it is within the rules for car4play but not for HJ. That doesn’t mean it is open house to try to get HJ to change THEIR rules to run alongside yours. Individual forums and individual rules should be respected and stand or fail on their own.

>>4) Now, it is this one I have a problem with. As I see it, the HJ Backroom policy is no longer anything to do with anyone other than their Admin and owners. Previous knowledge, in this case, is a bad thing. It is ‘past’ knowledge and this forum would be even better than it is, if it stayed there. If Chris & Caveman feel a sense of injustice then they have the option that can be taken in point 1.

During the last 8 years, I have been involved in some ongoing lorry driver forum rivalry and disputes. There has never been a winner, and more to the point a couple of the forums are now defunct. Strangely, the majority of the forum posters on the defunct forums don’t post anywhere now and have been lost.
It is my opinion that the quieter ones among us don’t like the disputes and drift away. I certainly don’t want to see that happen here and feel it is a major reason for the BR downfall.

Now to Chris!
Once again thanks for waiting and it wasn’t intended to have a go at just you or Caveman, if that’s any consolation:)
However, nit picking their rules and T&C’s has only one effect, it gives Admin and the owners a whole bundle of work to do ( work which is usually done voluntarily in their spare time).
As above, it’s their ball and they can play with it however they want to. There is no rule saying they have to use the same rules as car4play.
I fully respect and understand your reasons for doing it Chris, and I know it isn’t prejudice. I do feel that in some way, those reasons are misguided though, and to come and report back on here of your displeasure just adds fuel to the flames unnecessarily.
It was that which prompted me to finally put my view forward on this.
Many people read forums and never post at all, and we should remember the impression we’re giving them too.

Bellboy
I knew when I posted I would be in a minority, but that has never stopped me from voicing my opinion, in this case it is different to yours.
I would suggest to you that maybe I am seeing a little more than the front gate with the future of this forum in mind. The bigger picture will unfold at some point:)

Iffy
The emails were acceptable in my book, especially when the BR was down for a couple of weeks, and after that. It’s knowingly going against other forums rules I can’t get to sit straight with me.

Stu

I think you about sum the situation up for me:)

And of course, there’s good old Dog!

Now, what I would love to see happen would be the owners of this site and the BR settle their differences and work alongside each other. It can be done, Dog says so. We have managed to do it on our forums and the Mods & Admins have a much easier time now.
The forum members are happier without the undercurrent of animosity and some are tempted to actually make that first post.

I hope this explains all that I didn’t have time to explain yesterday and that Chris didn’t mind me using him as Devils Advocate either!

I’ll face the flak later this afternoon or early tomorrow morning!

Pat

Last edited by: pda on Sat 5 Jun 10 at 03:53
 Messages Author Date
 Can anyone help Caveman new bathtub tom 6 May 10 00:13
 Can anyone help Caveman new FocalPoint 6 May 10 00:24
 Can anyone help Caveman new MD 6 May 10 19:48
 Can anyone help Caveman new bathtub tom 6 May 10 20:42
 Can anyone help Caveman new MD 6 May 10 21:49
 Can anyone help Caveman new Caveman 6 May 10 22:25
 Can anyone help Caveman new VxFan 6 May 10 22:35
 Can anyone help Caveman new bhoywonder 10 May 10 15:44
 Can anyone help Caveman new Caveman 1 Jun 10 20:29