Motoring Discussion > Toyota Yaris 1.4 diesel 1,000 mile review. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Old Navy Replies: 55

Toyota Yaris 1.4 diesel 1,000 mile review. - Old Navy
So far I am impressed. For a small car it drives well, it is not going to win any races but that is not what it was bought for. It can hold its own at motorway speeds and Its lively enough for normal everyday use. It is very manouverable, light and easy to drive in traffic or confined spaces. It is an Icon plus model, has dual zone auto climate control, auto lights and wipers, all-round leccy windows, multi mode touch screen, reversing camera, which is not much use if the lens is wet or dirty, ESC, ABS, and Emergency Brake Assist. Everything still works, (not tested the EBA). Nothing has fallen off, it is rattle free and the only criticism is a little wind noise around the mirrors at motorway speeds. The engine and gearbox are beginning to loosen up and it has been comfortable for the hour which is the longest that I have driven it for up to now, I never drive for more than two hours at a time these days anyway. The average fuel consumption to date is 57.9 mpg, this may drop off a little as you should be a little easy on the engine for the first 600 miles. It is now being driven properly. :)
 Toyota Yaris 1.4 diesel 1,000 mile review. - Skip
Why did you not keep the ix35 very long ON ? Or am I getting you mixed up with someone else ?
It was not really suitable for our type of use, it seemed like a good idea at the time but we grew to dislike it. A friend usually drives a Toyota pickup for his business use but uses his sons Polo for local town use although he owns an Octavia Vrs. Same sort of thing.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 16 Oct 14 at 18:25
 Toyota Yaris 1.4 diesel 1,000 mile review. - Skip
Oh right, its on my short list for next change and I just wondered if there was anything particularly bad about it.
The only thing that I have noticed is the wind noise around the door mirrors. I am impressed by the build quality and attention to detail. The spare wheel kit is £95, easily negotiated as a no cost option if you want one. If you have any questions feel free to ask, as I have an owners manual I should sound quite knowledgeable. :)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 16 Oct 14 at 19:41
 Toyota Yaris 1.4 diesel 1,000 mile review. - rtj70
>> as I have an owners manual I should sound quite knowledgeable

Handy things owners manuals. I wanted to clean the wiper blades and the windscreen today - it was smearing from when it was delivered. But you couldn't lift the wiper arms from the screen because the edge of the bonnet is in the way. Needed to RTFM to work out how to get the wipers to park in an upright position for maintenance.
 Toyota Yaris 1.4 diesel 1,000 mile review. - Ted

I needed an owners manual for the caravan....I couldn't figure how to get the central heating to work on gas in this one. Not like the old one.

The dealer said I could download one but I couldn't find the link. They EMailed me the manual this afternoon. 101 pages...I ain't not never printing that lot out !

Likewise, my Lumix camera came with a CDRom........214 pages ! That's staying on the Rom !
 Toyota Yaris 1.4 diesel 1,000 mile review. - Pat
>>...I ain't not never printing that lot out !<<

You'll wish you had when you're on site and it's cold though;)

Pat
 Toyota Yaris 1.4 diesel 1,000 mile review. - Enderman
Is the Yaris on this thread a new model compared with ones 2 or 3 years old?
Because, I don't wish to micturate on anyone's french-fries, but there are a couple of people having big issues with DPF regeneration, reported in a thread on that other site:

tinyurl.com/leaumpx

Mine is the 2011 on model pre facelift. The DPF problems suffered by a few people whose DPFs went into an almost continuous regeneration are well documented. Toyota did the right thing, sorted the cause and replaced the engines which may have been damaged by diesel diluted oil. It is no longer a problem. Toyota Technical service buliten EG-0017T-0411 refers. The turbo, vacuum pump and piston rings of the current engines have been modified.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 17 Oct 14 at 17:12
 Toyota Yaris 1.4 diesel 1,000 mile review. - NortonES2
Ted. I use these guys www.print-my-pdf.mycom or their other company OTC when I need a manual printed and bound. No connection other than as a customer.
 Toyota Yaris 1.4 diesel 1,000 mile review. - brettmick
One of my “first world problems” is the irritation that I find at the general poor quality of car reviews published in glossy magazines. When I was reviewing other people’s opinions about the Yaris (and our Zafira) I found two examples that really narked me. The Yaris example was one fairly popular magazine “marking down” the Yaris for the “ludicrous sporty pretentions of a flat bottomed steering wheel” – perfectly countered by a far more scientific journal noting how “the flat bottomed steering wheel made a huge difference for access when the car was driven by someone with long legs”. The Zafira example was even more basic – the car was scored 2 out of 5 when new with particular comment on the gutlessness of the 1.6 petrol engine, but when used the car was scored 5 out of 5 with the reviewer recommending the 1.6 petrol due to “its balance between performance and economy”.

I now view all car reviews from journalists with huge suspicion. They are useful for certain observations (ie the Audi A4 with offset peddles) but when people ignore huge deficits because they have a predisposition (same offset peddles) to the brand then it leaves the reader poorer for reading any conclusion. I think user reviews far more valuable but also leaning towards being fairly black or white, love it or loathe it.

SO with the OP reviewing his Yaris I thought it time to finally put my thoughts down on my 2012 (62) plate 1.4 D4D – TR Nav bought in September 2013 with just over 12,000 miles on the clock. It has now reached 22,369 and via the excellent little app FuelLog I know that I have filled up 25 times at an average cost of £1.37 per litre and achieved an MPG of 63.10.

This mileage consists of 90% my commute of 18 miles to work on 45% single carriageway 60 MPH limit (doing about 50 on average), 40% dual carriageway (between 60 and 65 on average), 5% A14 (about 25 MPH on average), 5% town roads (about 20 on average) and 5% a small country road that is a blast to drive (more later).

The car has plenty of space in the front with good seats that are comfy for a stretch of a few hours at a time. I am 6”3 with long legs so that flat bottomed steering wheel is very useful. All controls fall easily to reach and are logically laid out – except perhaps the electric mirrors switch. The air conditioning is good as is the manual heater (no climate control) but the car gets stuffy with two or more people on board and the fan has to be turned up (or window opened) to get sufficient fresh air in. At night the dashboard shows no reflections into the drivers windscreen – a real pet peeve of mine. If I could take a feature from the past I want the night panel from my old Saab for all future cars please. Space in the back is just OK but miserly when I sit in the front – this car lacks the sliding rear bench of the previous model. Boot space is OK – I guess it depends on what you need and all I need is an umbrella and occasional shopping bags.

The car has the Touch and Go navigation unit with Bluetooth and Sat Nav. The Sat Nav is decent and can tether to my mobile phone to get an internet connection and then offer live traffic updates and re-routing. It accepts full UK postcodes and last night contained an address someone told me most sat navs miss due to the house being built so recently. The glove box has USB, 3.5 mm jack and iPod connections – bit of a funny place for the connections but being a small car I guess it makes sense. My A3 was in the same place. The phone hands free works well and the stereo can play music or streamed radio from my phone using Bluetooth as well. The stereo sounds very good – far better than I expected it to on such a small car, but I guess if they are aiming for a younger market then that is high on the criteria list.

The performance is acceptable with 0-62 coming up in about 10.5 seconds (although all the reviews quote different figures). In gear acceleration is good with the usual 3rd gear whoosh of a turbo diesel. 6th is hopeless below 65 MPH and I rarely find myself using it due to the nature of the roads I am driving. The car cruises very well on the motorway and is really quiet except for whistling wing mirrors over about 60. It is OK at lower speeds with the diesel engine never being intrusive. Due to the small capacity you do need to stir the gears if you need to make progress rather than rely on a chunk of torque to waft you along. Stability is fine up to about 80 but beyond that it doesn’t feel as planted as previous (much bigger) cars I have owned. Brakes are good, traction fine, tyres are very sensible prices (I can have three premium fitted for the price one would cost me on the RAV4). Performance tails off noticeably as the car fills with passengers and luggage – again the relative lack of torque of the smaller engine.

One part of my journey to work is a tight single carriageway country road with straights, lazy meanders, a tight 90 degree left hander followed almost immediately by a right hander then 1/3 a mile of straight before another 90 degree left hander. People say Toyotas are not fast or dynamic to drive yet I would argue that most people driving rear wheel driven cars famed for their driving dynamistic are wasting their time if they chose them for that reason. The number of occasions I have German badged cars right up my backside as I observe the 30 MPH speed limit in the village (particularly important where the kids gather for the school bus) then find they are so far behind they are not even in my rear view mirror after my country blast only catching up a few minutes later as they hurtle (inappropriately) along the busy dual carriageway at 90 in a nice straight line. The Yaris isn’t fast or dynamic to drive – it is safe and easy to drive while you can feel when its limits arrive. These limits (as I think with almost all cars on UK roads today) are pretty difficult to reach if you are observing the speed limits and adds to my frustration at many of the journalistic review comments – the guy who will buy the BMW because you say it is such a great drive will never touch the capabilities and might have done as well with a British built Avensis (and saved a few quid as well). That said I have put a BMW M3 420 round a track and it is a truly brilliant car – only the Subaru Legacy I owned came close to the driver feedback and involvement.

The gear change on the Yaris is fine except on occasions when I am booting it I get a sticky change from 3rd to 4th. It’s no problem normally, just if I am getting a move on.

The interior looks OK – a Jetta owning friend said it looked much nicer than his, but the colour insets are a bit odd. These insets would stop me buying some of the car colours (bright white inside the car was nasty) but as mine are a dark grey it works OK. The interior marks REALLY easily however. Is it cheap nasty plastic? Not really – it just seems that the brushed effect they have gone for shows any and every scratch. My drivers door is quite marked – it also has an irritating rattle on poor roads and I can’t find the screw location to tighten it up – fixed with a bit of card between the armrest and door handle! Very un-Toyota like in my experience of their cars.

I would sum up by saying the car is very close to the “premium” Audi A1, not as dynamic to drive as the Fiesta but a much nicer place to be and with a warranty two years longer than both a sounder longer term proposition. An 8 out of 10 with the right engine and specification choice in a category where I don’t think there are many 9/10 cars.
 Toyota Yaris 1.4 diesel 1,000 mile review. - John Boy
Thanks for taking the trouble to write that, Brettmick.
That sounds a bit like my Yaris, I also find the "sports" flat bottomed steering wheel handy for the legs as I am not vertically challenged. One thing I have to be careful of is the cruise control stalk, although it is short and stubby it is on the rear of the steering wheel at about the four o'clock position. On leaving the car with the wheel turned so that it was pointing vertically down I hit it with my knee, although it is reasonably robust it could be damaged.
 Toyota Yaris 1.4 diesel 1,000 mile review. - WillDeBeest
I am not vertically challenged.
...for a submariner anyway.
}:---)

That cruise control control sounds like the one that became a pet hate in the Verso - added for the UK market by the importer without reference to the car's designer or indeed to the basics of anatomy and ergonomics. Both in the way and out of sight, with no memorable logic to its movements. Awful.
I agree the CC stalk is not ideal, my last three cars have had the CC controls located in the steering wheel spokes. CC is a must have for me, I can live with the current setup.

The ideal diesel submarine crew member is three feet tall with six foot arms, that's why I moved on to steam driven boats. :)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 20 Oct 14 at 17:06
 Toyota Yaris 1.4 diesel 1,000 mile review. - Armel Coussine
Don't quite know how to put this ON, but are you being a bit coy about the way the steam is produced?

All in favour of advanced technology myself you understand, no atomic vertigo for me... .
Odd how the politicians are happy to build nuclear submarines but not nuclear power stations.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 20 Oct 14 at 17:24
Yes, it is odd. At one point fusion reactors were being talked about, and a lot of money was put into one - the JET at Culham - which I saw half-built, and very expensive it looked and was.

I have to say though that those huge great nuclear fish of yours are impressively powerful and hugely fast.
Cruise control stalk on the Audi A3 and the Passat CC is just below the indicator stalk. And easy to use.

On the Audi you:

- Push it away from you to turn off
- Pull it forwards to turn on (there is a click detectable)
- Press the button on the end to set a speed
- Pull towards you to resume if not totally off
- Press up to increase speed... Press downwards to reduce speed. Increments of 1mph

The Passat one was a bit better. Worked mostly the same but the up/down movement changed speed in 5mph increment/decrements. Pulling it towards you was 1mph increment. Pressing the end button was a 1mph decrement.

Both setups easy to use without looking. The buttons on the steering wheel type aren't so good.

If you have adaptive cruise control I think there's a few more buttons. The cruise control on my Golf in 1999 and Passat in 2000 had the control on the indicator stalk. A simple setup that worked well. A sliding type control and the button on the end of the stalk to set a speed.
 Toyota Yaris 1.4 diesel 1,000 mile review. - WillDeBeest
- Push it away from you to turn off
- Pull it forwards to turn on...

Don't you mean pull it backwards? Or do you have to climb in front of it to give it the special on-pull?
};---)
I mean you pull it towards you. So yes not forward :-)
>> - Push it away from you to turn off
>> - Pull it forwards to turn on...

>>

I think you have the same predictive spell check thingy as me. :)
... And at some point I should share thoughts on my new A3. Especially as some will be interested in the 1.4TFSi petrol combination with DSG (dry clutches) 7 speed gearbox. And the cylinder deactivation.

So far I like it a lot. Not got caught out by the DSG being in the wrong gear apart from once. And I sort of deliberately confused it. The odd thing is I didn't like the DSG in a Golf GT diesel or a Passat CC 170PS diesel. But I like it in this car.

Overall MPG on a motorway/A-road drive is probably close to what I got from the Passat CC. Nowhere near the max MPG figure in the brochures but I'd be happy. Around town I suspect it's better.

I did some brim to brim tests early on and fairly impressed. And I'm not refilling it after the longer drive at the weekend I hope until Nov... I will amass more pence of at Tesco before month end and got 20p/litre off when I got the car.

Mostly driven it in mimsing economy mode because it will coast when you lift off the accelerator. It won't do that in any other mode. But it also reduces steering assistance which I'd chose anyway. In the other modes it still does 2-cylinders. It will be run in soon... then I might see how much petrol I can use when going for it :-)
 Toyota Yaris 1.4 diesel 1,000 mile review. - ....
>> Mostly driven it in mimsing economy mode because it will coast when you lift off
>> the accelerator. It won't do that in any other mode. But it also reduces steering
>> assistance which I'd chose anyway. In the other modes it still does 2-cylinders. It will
>> be run in soon... then I might see how much petrol I can use when
>> going for it :-)
>>

Magazine reviews have this down as a thirsty variant so I'd be interested to see what the real world numbers are. It looked good on paper and was something I was pushing SWMBO in the direction of but the reviews put me off and I started looking at the standard 122PS version.

Also, when it coasts do the revs drop back to tickover? This is against everything we've been told over the last decade or so. We were led to believe backing off the throttle and leaving the car in gear results in the fuel being shut off giving the 99.9 or 999.9 MPG figure in the instant readout. If the engine is idling then it is consuming fuel to keep going or is there some trickery scavenging enough to keep the engine going without burning any fuel?
 Toyota Yaris 1.4 diesel 1,000 mile review. - bathtub tom
I've just bought a space-saver spare wheel kit for my (14 reg) Yaris. It includes three, self adhesive, thin pads measuring 80 x 30mm, in a bag labelled 'protector, spare wheel'.

Any idea where they go, no instructions with the kit?

Haven't covered more than 100 miles so far, but I find the electric PAS to be a little 'jerky' - could be me and perhaps I'll get used to it. The ride is definitely fidgety (15" wheels). Bonus is the car thinks it's doing over 50MPG (1.3, petrol, manual), but I'm sure that'll change once I get the feel of the thing.

Interestingly, if I obey the shift lights the instant economy readout is far better than what I can achieve by driving in my economy mode.
>> I've just bought a space-saver spare wheel kit for my (14 reg) Yaris. It includes
>> three, self adhesive, thin pads measuring 80 x 30mm, in a bag labelled 'protector, spare
>> wheel'.
>>
>> Any idea where they go, no instructions with the kit?
>>

The spare wheel sits on three rectangular (ish) pads pressed into the wheel well. My car does not have any sticky pads here but the wheel kit was fitted by the supplying dealer and any pads in my kit were probably filed in the too much hassle bin.

I don't do economy so I ignore the pretty flashing lights.:)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 20 Oct 14 at 20:49
I cut three pieces from a sheet of thin rubber I have in the garage to 80x30cm and they fit perfectly between indentations in the wheel well. A strip of double sided trim tape and they are firmly attached. I am convinced that my spare wheel is far more comfortable now. :)
>>I cut three pieces from a sheet of thin rubber.............................

Yours don't have the Toyota part number on them. ;>)
>> >>I cut three pieces from a sheet of thin rubber.............................
>>
>> Yours don't have the Toyota part number on them. ;>)
>>

No, just a cheapo DIY bodge job. I don't think you will see the numbers on yours when or if they are fitted. :)

Thanks for the dimensions.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 21 Oct 14 at 16:53
>> Magazine reviews have this down as a thirsty variant so I'd be interested to see
>> what the real world numbers are.

I've only done one real brim to brim on it so far. It came with half a tank of petrol and so I drove it a fair bit before I filled it up to use my Tesco 20p off. Driving it without trying to accelerate hard etc on varied roads, it did about 40mpg. Some experimenting in that. The absolute best I got out of my Passat 170PS diesel was 47mpg. Mostly motorway cruising with some heavy acceleration at on ramps etc.

The reported mpg on the computer vs actual seems closer than it was on the Passat too. On the weekend trip it reported maybe 43mpg which was motorway, fast A road and some slower bits. Including going over the Woodhead Pass in both directions. Won't fill it up to save up my next Tesco money off voucher.

>> Also, when it coasts do the revs drop back to tickover?

When in economy mode in Drive Select, if you lift off it goes to idle. Only in the DSG/S-Tronic version of course. And under light load it goes to 2-cylinder mode so I assume when coasting it's a 2-cylinder coasting mode. When you brake the coasting stops but so does 2-cylinder mode (engine braking). But when braking it does use zero fuel I think.

My thinking is coasting is to be used in stop-start and a bit on longer cruising. It's not the main way it saves fuel. Otherwise the manual version would not have the same official emissions figure. All I can say is mpg rises when coasting. But it does when braking too. And in 2-cylinder mode.

A surprise for me is on the motorway when cruising, in seventh gear, if you push on the accelerator in economy mode it accelerates well enough. Better than a Passat 140PS I test drove did in 6th (which is why I got a 170PS Passat).

I thought about the 150PS 1.4 litre petrol issue some might have. The bigger 2.0l turbo in the Golf is no more or less stressed if you work it out. In fact the variant in the Golf R is far more stressed.
 Toyota Yaris 1.4 diesel 1,000 mile review. - Alastairw
You know, I get over 40mpg out of my 2.0 petrol Octavia on a run. No fancy technology, and not mimsing particularly either. Probably suffers more round town and in stop start queues but I try to avoid that these days.
I think it all comes down to how much fuel you need to shift a lump of metal. There comes a point where technology is self defeating.
ON. I'm finding my brakes 'grab' when trying to brake gently. I've got rear drums.

What with stiff suspension, jerky steering and grabbing brakes, I'm wondering if I made a poor choice of car.

What's your experience?
I find the brakes are a bit "sharp" at low speeds, I do not have any problems with the steering, but my last two cars had electric power steering. I am happy with the "firm" German style suspension, and definitely prefer it to the " liferaft in a gale" French efforts. Don't worry it is early days, you will grow to enjoy it as you become used to it. It took me a while and some experimentation to find a comfortable seating position.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 23 Oct 14 at 10:27
Seems it's a common problem and been around for years: www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/93248-brakes-grabbing/
Your link relates to a 2007 Yaris, a totally different car. I do not see this as a problem, just "good" brakes which take a while to get used to. Like the steering you need a light touch. :)
I would hardly call five people whinging on a forum five years ago a common problem. Throwing passengers and luggage into the windscreen, even if true it would be a specific fault.

It is a typical Japanese designed car, easy to drive (once you get used to it) with light controls. I remember the first time I braked an American car (1970s). I locked all four wheels.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 23 Oct 14 at 15:10
Late last night I had the opportunity to drive across a "new town" near here which has many big open roundabouts. I can vouch for the Yaris steering, suspension, and handling being excellent and plenty adequate at "that fast officer?" speeds on the twisty bits. It a will certainly not be a problem at normal "making progress" speeds.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 25 Oct 14 at 12:16
 Toyota Yaris 1.4 diesel 1,000 mile review. - Runfer D'Hills
Sounds like fun ON ! Having taken the good advice from here I've been using my wife's car at weekends to "give it a run" while she's indisposed.

It's a fairly low powered manual hatchback and oughtn't to be much of a giggle to drive but in a way it makes me feel like I'm on holiday when I use it.

You know that hire car feeling when you just sort of have to see "what she'll do" ?

I suspect it'll feel "looser" to my wife when she first gets back behind the wheel...

;-)
Looser, no, just Italian tuned, and all the better for it!

I think my DPF will be clean as a whistle this morning. :)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 25 Oct 14 at 13:08
The Yaris is now up to 3,000 miles. Averaging 56mpg on mixed use in generally light traffic with the longest run Edinburgh / Liverpool and back. The engine and gearbox have loosened up and the car is improving with use. The only odd one is the brakes are a little noisy, I have seen this mentioned in a review but I am particularly noise sensitive and many may not notice it.
>> the brakes are a little noisy

I've noticed that with mine and at first assumed it was corrosion, but after several hard stops it's still there (as is the snatch at low speeds).
>> (as is the snatch at low speeds).
>>

I use my lead foot on the go faster pedal. :)

I admit it still catches me out, but rarely as I have become used to its foibles.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 29 Nov 14 at 12:26
Just returned from a trip down Thetford way in my 1.3 petrol. Lovely long straights giving ample opportunity to overtake the mimsers doing 40 in a NSL (why do they always seem to appear in pairs?).
Thought I had a misfire at high revs until I realised I was hitting the rev limiter (in third - whoops!).
That engine don't half rev freely!
Its usually one mimser followed by a trail of drivers who don't know how to overtake, more frequent at weekends.
 Toyota Yaris 1.4 diesel 1,000 mile review. - Runfer D'Hills
The old "Sunday drivers" cliche is true though isn't it? I guess or suppose it's often those who don't actually have access to the family car in the week and who are also driving on routes they don't normally use. You do particularly see some utterly appalling driving at weekends.
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Sun 30 Nov 14 at 19:54
>> You do particularly see some utterly appalling driving at weekends.

You see it all the time.

I have to say though that when driving locally, in lanes and small A roads, with a cool engine, if I'm not in a hurry I often follow 35 or 40mph mimsers rather than overtaking them. Not always, but more often than not. It's good for the jalopy and relaxing for me. I enjoy cursing them comprehensively although it's tiresome for any passengers.

Of course I always leave a longish gap and show anyone coming up behind that I know they're there by hugging the left verge and even blipping the left flashers. Very few of them take the bait. Likewise, when pushed for time or feeling impatient I will go past people with my offside wheels on the other verge if there's a proper gap. People never expect it, seldom get properly out of the way and from time to time get their knickers in a twist and hoot and flash, the utter prats. They never follow though. Can't drive, no bottle, the ghastly roadgoing majority.
>>I know they're there by hugging the left verge and even blipping the left flashers.

Ah one of those "helpful" drivers who would throw all the stones and other rubbish from the gutter into my windcreen if I was close enough.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 30 Nov 14 at 20:36
Oh shut up you miserable old git. Worried about paint chips are we? Believe me the jalopy will be worth less than you think when you come to sell it even if it's immaculate.
 Toyota Yaris 1.4 diesel 1,000 mile review. - legacylad
I was mimsing along this morning at 75/80 ish when I saw lights approaching fast from the rear. The normal Sunday ton up boys, so I held my position until they were almost up my exhausts, then I purposely moved a couple of feet to the left. This allowed them to overtake despite traffic approaching in the opposite direction. I do wish though that at those speeds they would keep both hands on the handle bars rather than give me some form of acknowledgement.
Rarely does the two second rule apply to them. They seem to travel at warp factor 8 barely twenty feet from one another.
 Toyota Yaris 1.4 diesel 1,000 mile review. - Slidingpillar
I do wish though that at those speeds they would keep both hands on the handle bars rather than give me some form of acknowledgement

Never had the leg salute? Quite common round here.
>> Never had the leg salute?

I like it when people acknowledge a courtesy, hand or leg, no problem. They know what they're doing, those bikers. I always try to acknowledge other drivers when they move in to let me pass, a couple of flashes of the hazards or a wave out of the window.
>> Oh shut up you miserable old git. Worried about paint chips are we? Believe me
>> the jalopy will be worth less than you think when you come to sell it
>> even if it's immaculate.
>>

My policy is to never buy a car that I can't afford to financially write off.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 30 Nov 14 at 21:46
 Toyota Yaris 1.4 diesel 1,000 mile review. - Zero
no fully comp for you then
Why not? I don't want to have a loss. But it would not be a major problem. It is probably an odd concept to some but I live within my means.
Latest Forum Posts